Notices

Day 3 and Methadone Free

Old 03-19-2006, 08:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 3 and Methadone Free

Hey everyone,
I guess I can start with some background. I have been abusing drugs for 13 years. I started using opiates recreationally 10 years ago. Well when OC's hit the street around my way back in '98, none of us (my group of friends) really knew what they were, and the fanfare surrounding their rampant abuse hadn't really begun yet. Needless to say I found myself physically dependent on opiates a few months after popping my first '40. After a couple years, the natural progression to herion ensued, and like most, I was using enough to kill a dozen non-heroin users everyday, and selling while living in my parents home to support my habit. I went through a couple rehab stints, but finally in '01 kicked CT, got a job far away and moved and soon as I was well enough. After about a year I found what I was craving in the new land, and, long story short, hooked up with someone that was prescribed to methadone for pain but didn't take it. I made the switch, started at 40mgs a day and worked up to about 90mgs a day within a few months. The last year I tapered back down, getting as low as 10mgs/20mgs a day, but just couldn't get that last push. I had since moved again, have a great job, nice place, blah, blah, blah, but the inevitable realization of how empty my life really is set in a couple months ago. So on Friday I made my way to a doctor from the suboxone web sight, showed up detoxing in hopes of starting it right away, and I did. My third day without methadone is about to end, and I am really suprised at how well this medication works. I know a lot of people say methadone doesn't get you "high", but for me it came pretty darn close. I could literally fart into the same couch cushion from Friday night until Monday morning and not care on methadone. On the suboxone, I feel more energetic, less depressed, and overall just better. So far, I am happy about my decision, I had many reservations about suboxone, but I think I did the right thing for now. If anything, I am no longer breaking the law, so that in and of itself almost makes it worth it. I have a long way to go, and appreciate anyone who actually reads this. I have no one around me at all, my family and friends are far away, my girlfriend that moved here with me 2 years ago cheated on me and moved out after 8 months, and no one except the person I got the methadone from, the ex-girlfriend, my Dr., and whoever reads this knows that I have been using over the past several years. I just needed to spill my guts, thanks again, talk to you soon.
Old 03-20-2006, 12:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Still Standing

Hello Burt and Welcome to SR. Sounds like you're doing great with your recovery. There will be alot of wonderful people here later to welcome you and respond to your post. You are certainly not alone anymore. There are many here who know what you've gone through because they have been through it themselves. I hope that you'll keep coming back here often for the support, encouragement and commaraderie that is so plentiful here.
Old 03-20-2006, 03:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

Hey there!~

I just wanted to give you a quick warm welcome.
It's late and I can't sleep so I'm a bit 'brain dead' atm.
I'll come back to this thread and say more tomorow,
but for now I just wanted to welcome you here and say
congrats on your almost 4th day coming up.

Quite a few people here are doing the same thing you are,
so some great people will be here soon with some
more support, etc. soon, I'm sure.

Glad you are here.
Old 03-20-2006, 04:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
In Memory Of

Welcome! Congrads on your 3 days off!
Bless, Trish
Old 03-20-2006, 06:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey there!!! Good luck on that!! Tell me how you found a Dr. Do u have insurance?

Hey ther , I'm interested on how u started Suboxone
Originally Posted by burtreynolds
Hey everyone,
I guess I can start with some background. I have been abusing drugs for 13 years. I started using opiates recreationally 10 years ago. Well when OC's hit the street around my way back in '98, none of us (my group of friends) really knew what they were, and the fanfare surrounding their rampant abuse hadn't really begun yet. Needless to say I found myself physically dependent on opiates a few months after popping my first '40. After a couple years, the natural progression to herion ensued, and like most, I was using enough to kill a dozen non-heroin users everyday, and selling while living in my parents home to support my habit. I went through a couple rehab stints, but finally in '01 kicked CT, got a job far away and moved and soon as I was well enough. After about a year I found what I was craving in the new land, and, long story short, hooked up with someone that was prescribed to methadone for pain but didn't take it. I made the switch, started at 40mgs a day and worked up to about 90mgs a day within a few months. The last year I tapered back down, getting as low as 10mgs/20mgs a day, but just couldn't get that last push. I had since moved again, have a great job, nice place, blah, blah, blah, but the inevitable realization of how empty my life really is set in a couple months ago. So on Friday I made my way to a doctor from the suboxone web sight, showed up detoxing in hopes of starting it right away, and I did. My third day without methadone is about to end, and I am really suprised at how well this medication works. I know a lot of people say methadone doesn't get you "high", but for me it came pretty darn close. I could literally fart into the same couch cushion from Friday night until Monday morning and not care on methadone. On the suboxone, I feel more energetic, less depressed, and overall just better. So far, I am happy about my decision, I had many reservations about suboxone, but I think I did the right thing for now. If anything, I am no longer breaking the law, so that in and of itself almost makes it worth it. I have a long way to go, and appreciate anyone who actually reads this. I have no one around me at all, my family and friends are far away, my girlfriend that moved here with me 2 years ago cheated on me and moved out after 8 months, and no one except the person I got the methadone from, the ex-girlfriend, my Dr., and whoever reads this knows that I have been using over the past several years. I just needed to spill my guts, thanks again, talk to you soon.
Old 03-20-2006, 06:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Do you have any health insurance?
Old 03-22-2006, 03:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Keep up the good work. My advice is hang out with people who do good things. If you don't have any regular straight friends donate your time. You certainlly won't be sitting on the couch and plus you will feel better about yourself. When you take care of yourself good things will happen.
Old 03-22-2006, 10:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MMT sucks-CRL
Hey ther , I'm interested on how u started Suboxone

I went to suboxone.com and called a few of the listed Dr.'s in my area. The one I ended up visiting doesn't accept insurance, $225 per visit. My insurance does cover the meds though, which was $400 for 60 8mgs. The Dr. seems really good, said he's been involved with Bup. use for opiate detox for over 20 years. He generally keeps people on for at least 6 mos, as it apparently decreases the chance of immediate relapse. Suboxone is only part of the equation though, still have to work the steps and take care of myself. I have a long road ahead, this I know.
Old 03-22-2006, 10:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KellyK
Keep up the good work. My advice is hang out with people who do good things. If you don't have any regular straight friends donate your time. You certainlly won't be sitting on the couch and plus you will feel better about yourself. When you take care of yourself good things will happen.
Well I really haven't made any friends since moving here, so no problems there. Had the methadone shipped in from somewhere else every couple months. If I could quit smoking ciggs I would love to coach high school wrestling, I refuse to work with teenage athletes smelling like tobacco smoke though.
Old 03-23-2006, 06:57 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
You're never alone!!

Hey Burt,,

Good to met you, and very glad to have you here at SR!! Sub is becoming a very much more welcomed way to detox for many people. I do believe it is best used, when used for a lesser amount of time. Now, having said that, I have been on Sub. for 10 months. My doctor initially told me 3-6 months on sub also, but it has worked so well for me, and I have not had one relapse, although I have definately have cravings, and just as you stated, it is not Sub alone as it never, ever will be, because there is no magic pill that will take away all of our problems, that comes from lots of therapy, meetings, and tears, something that is tough for alot of us, but necessary..

But I am not advocating the use of Sub either. There are many people that can detox, and remain clean using the steps, and god without using Sub. It wasn't me though. My story is that I tried on my own many, many times, as well as in rehab and in detox so many times I don't care to remember. For me this has been a better way. But, I do have yet to detox, I may feel differently about he detox, but I do know that I will no feel differently about the new start in life Sub has given me, that I was not strong enough to give myself. I wasn't able to make it clean for more than 2 to 3 months clean before and I would relapse.

I do believe that when I do detox off Sub. now, I am learning a different way of life. So when it's time, and that is coming soon, I have tools that I did not know how to use, or in some cases was unwilling to use before.

You sound as though you have made a great step in your life. You have, you dont just sound that way. LOL Working with a doctor that can help you, rather than taking on the addiction yourself, and of course I can't say enough for the groups we work with. I work with many. Have you ever tried any day treatment, or Intensive outpatient treatment? I have done both this time while on Sub. They have also helped me. I really have done alot to change my life, it took me longer I guess than most. LOL.. I am very shy when not on drugs, and it has been very hard for me to open up, which wasn't so much a problem while I was on drugs, (but I just wasn't opening up to the right people then,, I am now ) ..

God has also been a huge part of my recovery. I belong to a group callen Celebrate recovery. The group has been so great for me, and just gets better all the time. It is also a 12 step group, but based more on the bible..

Well, liek I said, it's great to have you here. We can be support for you, and you can do the same for people coming in. You now have all kinds of friends. We might not live right by you, but we are in your home everynight/day that you need us...

Hope to keep seeing you around.. So great to meet you.

Love and prayers,

Becky