Notices

24 hrs into COLD TURKEY

Old 01-10-2006, 10:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

24 hrs into COLD TURKEY

Well all, after 10 days or so taking between 8 to 6 Norco's/day, I had something strange happen. Yesterday I took one of my bird-dogs to be trained for an up and coming puppy derby. I popped 3 pills at 8:00, and felt nothing! I took 3 more at 11:00 and still.........nothin! Well, this was strange. I then decided to quit....cold turkey. I'm just tired of putting my wife, child, parents and all of my friends through this. It has been 24 hrs since my last pill, and I'm done with this. Yeah, I'm feeling a bit cold, achy, and downright uncomfortable, but it will pass and I'm already 1/3 into it. I've done this before and it has never lasted for more than about 3 days. I was looking forward to being sober so much, that I just had to quit before my bleed off thing was finished. I now believe that the bleed off thing is hard to finish without relasping. Wish me luck!
Old 01-10-2006, 10:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
NA Rocks!

Way to go, rentasunder! After reading your thread, I closed my eyes and said a little prayer for you, for the strength and patience during your withdrawal, that He'll lessen the pain and sickness, and that your family will be understanding and encouraging. You're doing the right thing. I'm so happy for you! Will you please keep us updated on your progress? You'll continue to be in my prayers.

Old 01-10-2006, 10:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good Luck!

Old 01-10-2006, 10:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Whoa..........everything set in at once. Neck cramps, back spazms, and diahhrea. I thought I was gonna have a somewhat easy time of it but I know now that it is gonna have its way with me....and I'm just gonna let it. Thanks guys and I'll update before 48hrs have passed. I have a full 1 hr massage at 4:30 and I'm sipping Chamomile tea and gonna stay away from caffeine for the next couple of days. This does truely suck eggs!
Old 01-10-2006, 11:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Meg
I'm Wide Awake Its Morning

Hello Resurrender,
First, Congratulations. I totally know what you mean when it all sets in at once. I'm 7 days into my CT off of Vicodin, and days 3-5 kicked my ass. Things that helped me were:
HOT Epsom Salt + Baking Soda baths (as hot as you can handle). The Salt and soda help to draw out the nasty toxins in your body.
A really good Multi Vitamin (one that has at least 100% RDA of Zinc, Phosphorus, Copper, Magnesium and Potassium (you may not find the potassium in the same supplement) plus a good B6 capsule.
And, yes, MASSAGE. Although, as my pain receptors are very repressed right now from the Vikes, the massage was painful. But helpful. Also, STRETCH!!!

Good luck, meg
Old 01-10-2006, 11:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Meg
Hello Resurrender,
First, Congratulations. I totally know what you mean when it all sets in at once. I'm 7 days into my CT off of Vicodin, and days 3-5 kicked my ass. Things that helped me were:
HOT Epsom Salt + Baking Soda baths (as hot as you can handle). The Salt and soda help to draw out the nasty toxins in your body.
A really good Multi Vitamin (one that has at least 100% RDA of Zinc, Phosphorus, Copper, Magnesium and Potassium (you may not find the potassium in the same supplement) plus a good B6 capsule.
And, yes, MASSAGE. Although, as my pain receptors are very repressed right now from the Vikes, the massage was painful. But helpful. Also, STRETCH!!!

Good luck, meg
Not to sound stupid...but what is CT? I normally could think it out, but my brain is having a hard time right now. I prepared for this by going and buying some Pedialyte, melatonin, and the soothing non-caffeine teas they sell over the counter. I get dehydrated easily and I don't want to end up in the hospital, so that is where the Pedialyte and teas come in. Stretching is so hard for me. I'll try but it hurts to put my leg straight out while sitting flat.
Old 01-10-2006, 11:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Meg

Sorry. I know what you mean, my focus isn't quite back on track yet either.

CT= cold turkey
Old 01-10-2006, 11:38 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I hear yah all, I am on day 5 of quitting vicodin and it for some reason is real hard today. Days 1-3 were hell day 4 was great and now day 5 i am freaking harder than i have all along. I thought i was done with the jonses but i guess not. I pick the kids up at 3 from school that will help keep my mind off of it for a couple days.
GOOD LUCK rentasunder I will keep you in my thoughts.
Old 01-10-2006, 11:40 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Time4Change
Way to go, rentasunder! After reading your thread, I closed my eyes and said a little prayer for you, for the strength and patience during your withdrawal, that He'll lessen the pain and sickness, and that your family will be understanding and encouraging. You're doing the right thing. I'm so happy for you! Will you please keep us updated on your progress? You'll continue to be in my prayers.

Thank you!
Old 01-10-2006, 11:40 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Meg

and oh yeah. i almost forgot: Immodium for the runs. I know all about that part too. Plus eat banannas and maybe some cheese. should help to bind you up a little bit.

and sorry i got your name TOTALLY wrong. i dont know why but "resurrender" was what I saw. HMMM?
Old 01-10-2006, 11:44 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Meg
Sorry. I know what you mean, my focus isn't quite back on track yet either.

CT= cold turkey
Okay,.......I feel stupid now! LOL
Old 01-10-2006, 11:45 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Meg

Originally Posted by veryscared
I hear yah all, I am on day 5 of quitting vicodin and it for some reason is real hard today. Days 1-3 were hell day 4 was great and now day 5 i am freaking harder than i have all along. I thought i was done with the jonses but i guess not. I pick the kids up at 3 from school that will help keep my mind off of it for a couple days.
i feel you. you can do this!!! day 5 almost killed me. but my husband said: "you're not dying, you're being born." i believe it, too.
hang in there.
peace, meg
Old 01-10-2006, 11:47 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by veryscared
I'll trade ya .....day 1 for day 5! Just kidding, just "jones" something good like.......... m and m's.
Old 01-10-2006, 11:53 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Meg

Originally Posted by rentasunder
I'll trade ya .....day 1 for day 5!
Actually, day 5 was SO SO SO MUCH worse *for me* than day 1.
Sorry, not to freak you out, I don't know how much you've been using or for how long. But I've been doing at least 6-8 Extra Strength (7.5 mg) Vikes a day for almost 2 years and also about 4-6 mg of Xanax a day. I'm weaning off the xanax while detoxing the Vicodin. Days 3-5 were the worst for me. I don't know what class Norco is but Vicodin is an opiate. Its like a heroin w/d.

Hang in there but be prepared for it to get a little worse before it gets better. I wished someone had told me that cause i was pretty freaked out when i got bad then a little better then MUCH MUCH worse, and now back to much muc better again. I'm almost thru the worst part of opiate w/d from what i understand. We'll see
The only way out truly is THROUGH!!!
you can do it.
we can do this
Old 01-10-2006, 12:02 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
PATIENCE

Congrats On The Days You Have. I Will Really Be Praying For You. I Remember That Story All To Well. Your Not Dying But Sure Does Feel Like It At Times. It Will Get Better
Old 01-10-2006, 03:18 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Norcos have 10mg of Hydro-codone while Vicodin 750's only have 7.5 mg. The difference is that the amount of Hydro is 10 instead of 7.5 and the Tylenol is only 325mg for the Norcos instead of 750mg in your 750 Vics'. I have been on this for 7 years, the last 3 at around 8 to 10 Norcos a day, or 20-25 Vicodin 5/500's. The usual story I'm sure......hurt my back at work, 1/2 healed went back to work only to re-injure and back on Opiates ever since. All history as I have a new job and my back pain isn't an issue. Soon....hopefully, neither will these dang pills!
Old 01-10-2006, 05:55 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I want to share something with everyone. I looked into my backyard today and watched my dogs for a while. I thought to myself......hmmmmm.....they eat food, drink water and sleep......yet they are so happy and soooo full of energy. The point is they are clean, sober, and most of all healthy! If I could just be as good as my dogs I thought!
Old 01-10-2006, 07:00 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
T1
sparkly clean

Good luck with cold turkey! I didn't have the ballz to try that so I tappered down and tomorrow will be my first day clean. Hang in there you will be feeling better in no time.
Old 01-10-2006, 07:18 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
PATIENCE

t1r3d

good luck with your first day of no opiates..............im praying for you.
soberity is much better than the alternative
Old 01-10-2006, 08:46 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

My best to all of you!

How inspiring to read!

SS