SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Substance Abuse (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/substance-abuse/)
-   -   Non-Narcotic Pain Relief -- Please Help (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/substance-abuse/82452-non-narcotic-pain-relief-please-help.html)

windysan 01-09-2006 11:35 AM

Non-Narcotic Pain Relief -- Please Help

I'm going to the dentist and I am having mouth surgery. I'd like to have some non-narcotic pain relief(non-opiate). I've heard of Toradol or something like that. Help !! Any other ideas or medications?

01-09-2006 12:04 PM

in my town even if you have something pulled, u only get novacane. A lot of people say that they think it won't work but it does. Isn't toradal a narcotic?

windysan 01-09-2006 12:32 PM

I think that you are thinking of Tuinal. What town do you live in? Hell?

Dawn10 01-09-2006 12:42 PM

Be sure that you tell your dentist of your addiction--that is first and foremost. He/she can then advise you on the best form of pain relief that is non-narcotic.
Toradol is good, but need to be perscribed by your dentist. When I worked in a hospital many orthopedic doctors percribed it for patients with mild to moderate pain after bone surgery and it was very good in relieving the pain. It is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory. For dental pain, you most likely will do well with OTC stuff like ibuprofen or Aleve. I had dental surgery 3 weeks after I got clean and I used Aleve and ice packs and had no problems at all.
Hang in there! :c009:

ragidiman 01-09-2006 12:48 PM

Alright

help 123 prob. means "tramadol", and ask your dentist if he can put a few
extra stiches in the fowl side of your mouth, thanks

Blake 01-09-2006 01:17 PM

Whats Up windy? How you been doing?

What kind of dental work do you have to have? If it is a root canal, Dr. Roy in mandeville rocks, he is an endontist and that is where I had my work done...no pain what so ever and recovering addict friendly....if it something more serious, I don't have any experience with that, but I too am gonna have to have some serious oral surgery comming up, so let me know who you went to and how it went.....

Check out "In times of illness..." from a meeting in the area, good info about surgery and drugs.

Later,
Blake

01-09-2006 01:28 PM

No actually I mean toradol, it is kind of like demeral. I know what it is, cuz I am allergic to it, get major hives. I even called the pharmasist to make sure. Anyways, I hope that is not what ur taking, tho. God Bless!

P.S. We do kind of live in hell cuz we have to drive over a 40 miles away cuz my town now doesn't take MA anymore, and I only have a $500.00 limit anyways, I have horrible teeth and need many root canals or pulled.

fuguestate 01-09-2006 01:52 PM

I tried taking ibuprofen after having 2 impacted wisdom teeth removed. didn't touch the pain, although the pain wasn't too bad. paracetamol (acetomiphen or something in the US) was sufficient.

PATIENCE_0706 01-09-2006 02:17 PM

Tordol Is An Anti-inflamation Drug That If Used For Very Long Will Eat A Whole In You Stomach, Side Effects Upset Stomach, Tramadol Is Opiate Based Ask The Pharmacist Or Go To Rxlist.com............... Besides That Ive Worked Passing Pills A Long Time And Have Taken Them Along Time. Addictiion To Tramadol(ultram) Can Occur, I Personally Dont Know How They Never Did Anything For Me But Ive Heard Of It. Dea Has A List Of Abused Medication It On There They Say Its On The Rise. I Had My Wisdom Teeth Remove Years Ago No Matter How Many Oxys I Took They Did Not Work Motrin Stopped The Pain..............

PATIENCE_0706 01-09-2006 02:27 PM

i checked on it myself ultram is an opiate toradol aka ketorolac is anti inflamatory which can not be taken longer than 5 days and not used with motrin or drugs like that, can cause fatal intestinal bleeding. i say try motrin first

angelgirl 01-09-2006 02:58 PM

Hi,,

Just my 2 cents on Toradol.. My husband has a script for it for his migraines. He uses it very seldomly. Maybe a couple times a year at most, at least right now,, but I know that he has suffered severely since childhood with migraines, and they could only give him narcotics, until a doctor in the ER that apparently uses Toradol regularly for migraines prescribed it for him, and it has worked wonders.. It has been of great help, without the narcotics. :)

So Windy, maybe this would be a good idea... If you have alot of problems anyway.. Otherwise, I had a tooth pulled out in treatment, it wasn't pretty,, and they couldn't really give me anything, of course because of the meds, and I was detoxing,, and
when it was all over, they just gave me Ibuprofin..

Hey,, let us all know how you do. Although,. we do know, you will do fine,, I will say a prayer for you.. :)

Love,
Becky

windysan 01-09-2006 03:09 PM

thanks for the responses and i'll get extra stitches in my "beak"...whatever the hell that means ??

blake, everything good down the road here. i'm gonna ask the dentist for some 800mg ibuprofen cuz i remember them working well for pain when i had a broken foot. i'll try the toradol if it gets too bad.

thanks again, y'all.

01-09-2006 05:27 PM

actually sorry I met tramadol. OOPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jane63 01-09-2006 06:39 PM

Windysan....extra **{HUGS}} for you cause going to the dentist, for me, is the absolute WORST experience!! Hate it!!! :c002:
I have always gotten the gas {nitrous} first and when I am relaxed enough then a shot or two of novicaine...If not, it is pretty hard to keep me in the chair!! LOL!
For pain relief afterwards you can take up to 800mg of Ibuprofen...you don't have to spend a bunch of money on a script, just get the generic kind which is 200mg a pill and take 4 or 3 which is 600mg...which ever works best.
I also use Excedrine Tension for my TMJ and it helps very well as does heat applied to the area, but I would ask your dentist about hot or cold first.{which is better}

I know they sometimes will give Ultram for pain afterwards which is addictive but if I had to try something stronger that would probably be my first choice. If something even stronger is needed though, my plan is always to ask for the smallest amount at the pharmacy and put the rest on hold...like if your dentist gives you a stronger pain medication in the amount of 20, have your pharmacist give you a bottle of 6-8 and keep the rest on hold...chances are you won't need them and can call and have them take it off hold. {hope that makes sense!!} I only....absolutely ONLY would do this if the pain was really bad, my dentist was aware of my addiction problem and my husband was monitouring my intake!!! {I have alot of dental 'issues' and still suffer with occasional TMJ pain so I have sort of planned this out in the event that I would ever have to take opiates again...thankfully, I have not!}

Hope this helps abit and good luck with your apt! Just talk to your dentist, above all be truthful and let him know of your concern for pain control...you will be fine!
Jane

shockozulu 01-09-2006 11:28 PM

The medication in Eleve (otc) is known to work especially well for dental pain. It is the in same family as motrin. You might want to ask for the prescription dosage of that. It is also known as "Naproxin"

windysan 01-11-2006 04:21 AM

Dental Update

My doc didn't have gas and he had to do some major work yesterday. I had to have a root canal and all that crap that goes along with it. He knocked me out with some Halcion and Phenargan. I asked for 800mg Ibuprofen but surpisingly I haven't had to use one yet. My mouth is kinda sore but the pain is nothing like yesterday when half my tooth was cracked off and the raw nerve was exposed. So far, so good.

Blake 01-11-2006 06:12 AM

cool windy!

the good thing about a root canal is that they take the nerve out...so after a day or so and the sorness goes away, you don't have to worry about the toothe hurting ever again.

windysan 01-22-2006 07:22 AM

Hillbilly teeth update:

2 root canals in 2 weeks. flying colors. 800mg ibuprofen for a coupla days after each one.

everything good.

thanks y'all.

Jane63 01-22-2006 10:12 PM

Thanks for the update windy and soo glad you survived!!
Amazing how our ability to handle pain changes once we become clean! :) Mine is still not as I'd like it to be but still ALOT better than before!!
**{HUGS}}
Jane
PS...I go to the *****gasp}} dentist this Tuesday for 3-fillings...one of which is my front tooth which means a shot in the upper gum {feels like its in my nose!} and praying he keeps the gas turned UP!! Ugggg!! :wzbigcry: