Notices

I think I've made it through w/d's

Old 10-17-2005, 11:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Farmer's daughter

I think I've made it through w/d's

I feel much better, but somewhat ashamed. The first 3 days were effing hell (this is after tapering from suboxone). I couldn't take the restless legs and hot/cold sweats... they were the worst for me, but I could handle the nausea, and diarrhea. On the fourth day I took some dayquil (along with the entire time taking ibuprofen) and it helped a little, then I kept digging around in my parent's bathroom and found a bottle of codeine and temazzies. I swear to God I left the codeine alone, but I took a couple Tems. Did I screw up my whole detox? It's the fifth day right now and I'm feeling okay... none of the w/d's really, just tired and a little weak.
Am I done with being sick now?
Thanks all!
Old 10-17-2005, 11:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
You're never alone!!

Hi there, I would assume if you feel well, you are for the most part through the withdrawals. How long were you on the suboxone and did you taper, or just jump off?
I am a bit curious about this.
I went down to 4mgs. from 6 and was fine for about 2 1/2 days, then I began to feel very sick. But it looks like you are saying you were sick right away? Is that right?

I would think though that you will have synmptoms of PAWS possibly for a while on and off. Thats post accute withdrawal syndrome. Not sure if you know anything about that or not? What type of support do you have like meetings, or groups, or counselors or therapists? Do you have any? If you do, this is a very good time for you to use all of your resourses, you have made it very far, but if you begin to get cravings or have anymore withdrawal syptoms it would be a great time for you to have some people or groups or therapist to talk to..
SR is great but so is Face to face help..

Please keep us [posted on how you are doing, you will also be helping many people that are on suboxone that are tapering off, and that's a good feeling.
Congrats too on your decision, and your accomplishments, you should be very proud and grateful..
By the way, what are temazzies?? Don't have a clue what that is?? Thanks
Love,
Becky
Old 10-17-2005, 12:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Farmer's daughter

Hi Angelgirl,
I tapered off of Suboxone. I started out at 8mg, then 6, then 4, then 2, then I tried to taper down from the two by going longer periods of time and got really sick, then I went from 4 to 2 switching every other day and then down to 2 again for a while and and then again going until I felt a little bad and taking 2mgs, then going longer and I tried slicing the 2 in half which worked for me and then I was going about 2 days before I felt icky, then finally on my last day I had a sliver of a sliver and licked the bottle and that was it and at that point it took about 18 hours for me to get sick. So no, I didn't get sick right away. It was definitely very unpleasant, but I can't imagine going cold turkey from 150mgs a day of vicodin. Anyone that can go cold turkey has something inside of them that I don't and I envy it!
Temazzies are Temazapam (benzos).
I am in an outpatient program with meetings and one on one therapy. My therapist is the most wonderful man in the world. I have signed many contracts that said I must attend NA (in my other attempts to get clean), but I can't bring myself to do it yet... I don't know why??? I know I will get there, but I think part of me still feels like I'm not "one of those people." I think everyone here will understand what I mean.
Are you still on 4mgs right now? Are you going to go down to 2? What course has your doc put you on?
I wish you the best!
Shelly
Old 10-17-2005, 01:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Livin' the NA WAY

Sounds like you are through the most of it.
I would watch out for the temazepam. Benzo withdrawal makes opiate withdrawal feel like a party. I would have rather died than make it through it.
Opiates does not have a PAWS by the way. That is only with the Benzo's. It sucks.
I would definetely hit a meeting. Call a local NA hotline and find a local meeting or talk to someone if they have that capability.
The getting clean is the easier part, the staying clean is the trick.
God luck,
Chad H.
Old 10-17-2005, 02:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Farmer's daughter

Hi Chad,
Thanks for the reply. I don't know what is going on, but right now I am feeling like total sh*t! I have the hot/cold sweats and jimmy legs again. Is this going to come and go over the next few days?? Right now, I feel like I'm never going to be normal again. - whatever that was. I have just flipped like a light switch... vicodin is sounding so good right now. WTF? I called my doc and waiting for him to call me back. Please hurry doc!!!!
You can't become dependent on just a few benzos.... can you?
Thx,
shel
Old 10-17-2005, 04:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Livin' the NA WAY

I am an addict. So if I had the opportunity, I got addicted to it, regardless of what it was.
Becoming dependent takes a different amount of time and dosage for everyone. For a couple days it isn't bad, after that I would watch out, unless you want to ride that coaster...
As far as the restless legs, try searching for the "Thomas Recipe". I lived off it when I got dope sick, which it didn't help so much at the level I was at, but it did seem to help. Along with hot baths and taking walks, believe it or not.
Get out and walk around the block or to the store or something. (To a meeting would be best)
It will take a bit to get your receptors to start firing again depending on the duration and dosage of your usage.
The best thing I can suggest is try the Thomas Recipe, mulivitamin, ect, walks, hot baths, and go to a NA meeting.
I tried a 1000x to quit on my own, to no avail. The last time I used, I finally hit a meeting - started working the program and what was suggested - and have been clean ever since.
Yeah, it was hard to accept at first that I was a junkie, but guess what, I finally got honest with myself and where I was at. It doesn't care who you are, how much or little you have. Addiction is blind and sucks all in.
My sponsor is a doctor, who is also an addict. I can relate to him on a professional level, as well as an addiction level. But what I have also realized is that the best friends I have now are those in recovery, regardless of their backround or drug of choice. Especially since mine was whatever you had.
I am able to finally live each day to its fullest. Not to the best of my ability everyday, but when I work the program, it usually works out that I do.
The best thing about it is that I don't have to get high today to feel "better"...
Hope you find your way...
Chad H.
Old 10-17-2005, 04:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
You're never alone!!

Shel,

How are you doing??
Do you know what happened? Have you talked to your doctor?
It worried me when you said that Vicodin sounded good at the moment..
I pray you have talked to your doctor and are hanging in there..
Please let us know what is going on. It's most likely still the opiate withdrawals I would
say.
When you come back on, let me know please.
Then there is a person that I believe still comes on here once in
a while, her screen name is RoyalSecret, and her husband tapered off, and he did real well, and she had a long thread about it, that may help you, if you do a search here in
SR, using the word RoyalSecret, I will try to look for it..

Hope all is better, Please let us know..
Love Becky
Old 10-17-2005, 04:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
You're never alone!!

Originally Posted by theNAway
Opiates does not have a PAWS by the way. That is only with the Benzo's. It sucks.
Chad H.
Chad,

I do not know what you are talking about here, but Opiate users DO suffer
from PAWS
. Everyone I know that has been on opiates has anyway. Also all of my counselors taught us on it, as well as all of the treatments I was in..
Is that what you meant that Opaite addicts, do not suffer from Post accute withdrawal syndrome??

Becky
Old 10-17-2005, 06:23 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Farmer's daughter

Well, I went to my doc and he wanted to put me on 2mgs of suboxone. I said, "No way." I asked him if it would set me back since I've made it this far and he said no. How in world can that be? So then he gave me a script for Clonodine - has anyone taken this?? It's usually prescribed for high blood pressure, but can help with wd's. If anyone has taken this, please tell me about it??????? Thanks everyone for your support.

Becky, I definitely didn't use, I went to the doc and asked my husband to come home early. I am going to try the Clonodine. Thanks for the info on RoyalSecret, I actually had read it all before and it was great and a great triump for her husband.
Thanks for everything... I'll keep you posted on how I feel. How are you???
shel
Old 10-17-2005, 06:58 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Livin' the NA WAY

Clonidine/Catapress is a blood pressure med used to help with withdrawals for addicts in particular due to it being an antihypertensive, non narcotic med.
I took it a few years ago to help with withdrawals a couple times. It helped, but I didn't make it to a meeting or get help for my addiction, and went back out.
It should help with the withdrawals and anxiety that comes from opiate abuse.
I would also do a search for the "Thomas Recipe" and start taking some of that stuff to get through the malaise.
I would also eat banana's for the potassium to help with the restless leg syndrome(RLS). That would drive me nuts. At the end for me it was RBodyS.
Walks and hot baths also help. Especially the walks. The sooner you start to exercise the sooner your body with start producing dopamine on its own which will help you feel better. The malaise you are feeling is due to you filling all of your brains receptors up with artificial dopamine (opiates) and you body stops producing the natural dopamine that is released when we laugh, have sex, ect. those good feelings. So the sooner you start eating right, exercising, ect. the sooner and faster you will get back to normal.
Hope you make it through this and are able to stay clean,
Chad H.
~Another day clean due to working the program and my HP~
Old 10-17-2005, 09:43 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
You're never alone!!

Originally Posted by want2boverit99
Well, I went to my doc and he wanted to put me on 2mgs of suboxone. I said, "No way." I asked him if it would set me back since I've made it this far and he said no. How in world can that be? So then he gave me a script for Clonodine - has anyone taken this?? It's usually prescribed for high blood pressure, but can help with wd's. If anyone has taken this, please tell me about it??????? Thanks everyone for your support.

Becky, I definitely didn't use, I went to the doc and asked my husband to come home early. I am going to try the Clonodine. Thanks for the info on RoyalSecret, I actually had read it all before and it was great and a great triump for her husband.
Thanks for everything... I'll keep you posted on how I feel. How are you???
shel
Hey Shel,

Sorry to hear that you are feeling bad. Yes, I'm sure it's the suboxone, and it was a good thing you did by refusing to go back on 2mgs. You are this far into it, why go back, right? I also disagree with the doctor, and I don't understand why he would tell you that?? Just like when I went to my addiction doctor for the suboxone the first time. My husband went with me, and he asked the doctor if I would experience withdrawals from the sub. and the doctor told him no, now granted he was new at prescribing suboxone, but he should have known..
You held strong though, you will make it through this, you are this far into it, keep going hun,,, don't go back to anything at all. Keep your mind set on sticking through it.. Funny thing for me to say, since I have yet to go through those withdrawals, but I know if it were me, it would be what I know I should do, not go back. Just keep telling yourself you are almost done.

About the Clonodine, it is widely used for withdrawal. The treatment center I went to the most for detox, used the patches and they would line like 5 of them up on your back to help along with all the other meds they used in the detox process, but I have EXTREMELY sensative skin, and I developed big boils from the patches, they were infected, oh they hurt, I am allergic to them on top of having sensative skin, they had to use steroid cream to clear that up.. So the next time I went to detox, they gave me the clonidine pills,
and I was also allergic to them, and had some bad reactions, so I can no longer take them, but they DO help, so take them, I have never, ever heard anyone say they werea addictive, and they are bllod pressure pills. So you will be fine with them, and they will help. But you are 3 days into it, so you will be doing better soon.

We are here for you,, please keep on posting, it helps you, and it's kind of like RoyalSecret did for us, it's kind of like a mini diary, which will help us, and many more to come, when we are down to the point you are at..
It's a great thing to do, and I believe you can really gain alot from giving of yourself like that..

PLEASE
talk to your doctor about PAWS, I have experienced it, and I know others who have, I alsolearned alot about it through treatment and my addiction doctors.. So, please ask your doctor about it, so that if you begin to experience symptoms, you are not confused, you'll understand what you are going through.. It doesn't hurt to ask. I have never befor eheard anyone say an opiate addict does not experience it, but I am not going to get into any type of a match here with anyone, just not me, but I woudl really advise you, since none of us are doctors, to checkit out with your doctor, or read up on it, if you can find info. on the net..

I am on here at all different times. Please, if you need support , there are many here who are willing to give it to you.. Just get everything out hat you need to..

Talk to you later,
Be easy on yourself
We will root you on..
You can do this..
Love,
Becky
Old 10-18-2005, 05:11 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
You're never alone!!

Hey Shel,
You out there? How are you doing today?? Thinkin about you..
love,
Becky
Old 10-18-2005, 07:57 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi there- hang in there and just take the clonidine- the clients at our treatment center take them for opiate/heroin/vikes/ withdrawl-its really all the same- from what i understand they speed up the process of withdrawl by opening up the blood vessels-keeps the veins from constricting-im no doc but i work directly with the detox clients and they say that clonidine helps. Usually after about 5-8 days the withdrawls will begin to get alot easier to deal with. Insomnia seems to be the killer for most people detoxing. The pain can be easily dealt with with motrin and upset stomach with immodium. Take a multi vit.multi mineral along with potassium tabs and a b-complex vitamin. Im not a counselor or anything-i work work with the clients by just supervising and driving to meetings but they say the withdrawls are so much easier with support of other addicts and alchoholics because they have all been there. Im an addict myself and without AA in my life I would probably be dead from my wreckless behavoir and over-indulgence. You are going to have to withdrawl at some point to get clean and sober so what better time than now?! Good luck and god bless-W.J.
Old 10-18-2005, 08:48 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
X IV

I am curious were the NAway guy got his info on opiate users not having PAWS???? I am a social worker, addict, CADAC and I would be very interested in finding out your sources. That information goes against everything in my personal knowledge as well as professional training.

I took clonodine during methadone withdrawal. It worked for awhile and then they had to put me on a stronger beta blocker, Inderal. One of the ways clonodine works is by stopping the over production af adrenaline that happens during withdrawal. If your Dr. is recomending it I would take it.

You will be in my prayers. I hope you made it through the night ok. I know in my experience symptoms came and then they left and then they came back again. Sometimes several times. Each time they returned it was less though. Sleep was (still is) the most protracted symptom. It has gotten a lot better though.
Old 10-18-2005, 10:56 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
You're never alone!!

Hey L,

I will send you a PM on the PAWS,, issue.
Maybe you can explain a bit of the info. you have on PAWS and opiate addicts. Everyone I know that had ever withdrawn from opiates has experienced it, and I also learned about it in all of the treatments I have ever been in, so I knew what to expect.
But, dear Shelly, I do want to explain that PAWS is nothing really that you should be worried about, first, you are just getting through withdrawal, and second, it's nothing to fear anyway, it's frustrating, but it's nothing that is anything like you are going through now.. So don't concern yourself with it now. I guess I just brought it up, so that you could ask your doctor about it, for future reference.. It's in very basic terms, your brain getting back to normal function after the effects of opiates.. But nothing to fear..

I really hope we hear from you.. I hope you are doing well today... Or better???
Please let us know..
lbadeker did give you some great advice in listening to your doctor about the clonidine.. It should help you

Prayers to you,
Becky
Old 10-18-2005, 11:55 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

angelgirl, what happened to the lips? I kinda liked them!

Could you PM me the info on PAWS? Thanks
Old 10-19-2005, 06:18 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Farmer's daughter

Hi Everyone,
Thanks so much for all the cheers and advice. I don't understand why, but I just feel like crap!!!!!!!! I've cried on and off today and the chills are back and won't go away. I was up until 5am last night and finally fell asleep until 7:30. I can't keep my legs still... these two things are the worst for me and they are the ones lingering. This is officially day 6 of no suboxone. My doc actually told me that a lot of people don't feel anything after they taper from the suboxone... not true for me. I thought I was feeling better a few days ago... about day 3, but now I just feel like it's never going to end? PLEASE PLEASE TELL ME THIS ENDS????????????? I hate everything right now and I took a temazapam... I found them in my parent's bathroom... they are gone right now and my hubby, son and I are staying with them until we close on our home in Nov. I think my son is the only thing that is keeping me going right now. I watched my mother OD when I was seven and I never would want my son to see that!!! The Clonidine made me feel really weird, should I just try it again... does the stuff get better? I found an NA meeting on Sat, so I will go... I feel freaked out about it though!
Thanks all,
xoxo
shelly
Old 10-19-2005, 07:35 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I promise that one day at a time, one minute at a time it can get better.
But you have to be willing to reach out to something greater than yourself.
We are are our own worst enemy... at times.
What you are going through is normal, if it gets to feeling too weird then please seek medical help.... I get "busy leg syndrome" for a few reasons and always feel so weird lying there moving my legs around like a loon... It reminds me that my little sister used to do it all the time (and grind her teeth) while we were growing up and I thought she was psycho.
Hang in there
Old 10-19-2005, 10:06 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by want2boverit99
It was definitely very unpleasant, but I can't imagine going cold turkey from 150mgs a day of vicodin. Anyone that can go cold turkey has something inside of them that I don't and I envy it!
Hey, Shelly. Hang in there. Yes, it DOES GET BETTER. You'll turn the corner soon, just get through one minute and one hour at a time.

Yup, I went off an insanely high dose of Vic cold turkey. I don't have words to even describe the experience.

The point I would like to make to you (and to Chad), is that detox - regardless of the drug, is hard for everyone and the severity depends on many factors such as amount and length of use, other issues going on simultaineously and how sensitive we are to pain as individuals. So my experience is different from yours which is different from Chad's experience. Benxos vs. Opiates vs. Alcohol vs. whatever. Each has different symptoms and levels of misery... does that make sense? I don't like to compare because all I know is my own experience.

Hang in there, get to a meeting and it will get better. That I DO know for sure.

Hugs,

phinny