Notices

oxycodone withdrawal help!

Old 03-10-2009, 01:26 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  
Go Browns!

I dont have any advice except I believe the RLS will go away slowly, along with the dreams. I think there is an OTC medication for RLS though. Not sure what its called. Some one else can probably better answer that as I am still battling my addiction. I just wanted to say thank you for sharing your story and all the advice on the vitamins and meds. Do you really think they helped ease the withdrawal?
Old 03-10-2009, 01:59 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nallabelle View Post
I dont have any advice except I believe the RLS will go away slowly, along with the dreams. I think there is an OTC medication for RLS though. Not sure what its called. Some one else can probably better answer that as I am still battling my addiction. I just wanted to say thank you for sharing your story and all the advice on the vitamins and meds. Do you really think they helped ease the withdrawal?
As far as the loperamide, B vitamins, and the Tyrosine, absolutely! Plus, I figured that the other minerals were needed anyway, so what the heck, can't hurt. But the three I mentioned, oh yeah!
Old 03-10-2009, 03:19 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

O.K. People, so I am no doctor, nor am I a person who wants to mislead anyone. And by the way, I don't take offense to any constructive criticism. I'm a big girl, and always still learning. When I read a post, that says someone is suffering from withdrawal from opiates, and trying to get clean, I just try to tell them what has worked for me. That's all. I ask if they ever heard of this drug that helps with withdrawal. I know, that what is right for me, is not right for everyone. When I hear people saying that they are using other drugs like xanax and tranquilizers, to help symptoms of withdrawal, I know they cannot mix suboxone. I also know that suboxone is a form of an opiate. But it doesn't get you high, and it does help with withdrawal. It is made for that. I also know that it is a dangerous drug that's not right for everyone. I always tell who ever I make a suggestion to, to go to the doctor and find out, and to listen to a professional. I hope you don't take offense, because things aren't always what they seem. Not trying to pi$$ anyone off. Or act like I know it all, Just sharing what has helped me very well. That's all. I'm clean almost 4 yrs, and managed that with very little suffering with the help of suboxone. I wish Inner Peace and comfort to all who are suffering with any type of addiction. It's not a joke. Sorry if I offended anyone. It was unintentional. Thanks for the response. I continue to learn and grow from all of your feedback. Angelic17
Old 03-10-2009, 04:11 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Angelic, I think you're right...basically, we're all not doctors, and although we've researched and done our homework, we still don't have that M.D. after our names.

That said, I agree with you 100% regarding suboxone and methadone treatments. IMHO, all you're doing is substituting one addictive drug for another, albeit with less effects. BUT, as many others have said, it's a PITA coming off of suboxone, worse than oxy, so why put yourself through that?

I have to say, the 10-week tapering program my pain mgmt. doctor put me on was a breeze compared to cold turkey. AND, I find it intriguing that clonidine, a blood pressure medication, helps immensely with w/d symptoms...of course, the best part is that it's NOT an opiate! My doctor's only concern about clonidine was if I had LOW blood pressure, which I didn't, and be realistic, there's probably very few of us that have LOW BP.

As I mentioned above, you HAVE to have a partner for this journey. Trying to do it alone, and covering it with "I have the flu" just opens the door further for excuses and relapses. If your significant other, or family, loves you and cares about you, they're NOT going to condemn you; rather, I believe that they'll be extremely supportive of your efforts, and will do ANYTHING to help you achieve your goal.

It's also very important to talk to someone non-judgmental. I would have NEVER thought that going to counseling would do me any good: SURPRISE! I was amazed at the things I told my therapist (NOT a psychiatrist-they just want to give you happy pills...). I'm a guy, in my mid-40s, and I told her (yes, a woman-I think it's easier to open up to someone of the opposite sex) things that I haven't even told my wife! Being able to open up to someone who doesn't know you, per se, is extremely liberating, and that person can give you a sense of perspective that you'd never dream of. Go see someone before, during, and after; it helps!

Again, before you commit to suboxone, ask your doctor about clonidine, it works!
Old 03-10-2009, 07:40 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  
Now with fewer opiates!

Yowza...this thread has gone all over the place from the original poster. There's a lot of mixed messages, etc. I hope anyone lurking fully understands no-one know what works for each individual but a qualified professional.
Suboxone, in particular, is as touchy an area as methadone lately. I think it best if people post specifically what they did with the aid of a doctor or detox....not post it as "this is what works" or "stay away from..." (except for the misguided person who suggested dilaudid...). Everyone is different, gang.
Bottom line: it's what the pros suggest and what has worked for us.

Hoping I made myself clear...not sure I did...I remain
Old 03-11-2009, 06:17 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Bear, you're 100% right, in that we SHOULD stick to what worked or didn't for our particular situation. However, as I indicated in another post, our doctors may be quite smart, but they DO allow personal biases to blur their medical judgment at times. I've seen everything from "suck it up-tough love" to "we'll taper your 10mg/day habit down over 6 months".

Yes, each of our situations is unique; yet, for example, look at the suboxone debate. To borrow from the song "Alice's Restaurant", if one person says sub is bad news, we'll think they're crazy; if two people say it, well, you know the line. But if 50 people a day say subox w/d is horrible, well, that sounds to me like subox is bad news! If the cure is worse than the disease, why bother?

Forgetting the meds for a moment, what we really should focus on is the "mind over matter" portion of recovery. I'm clean since 2/5/09 from a 160mg/day oxy dose (for legit reasons-rheumatoid arthritis), and I have bad days even now. But, instead of getting down, which is PERFECTLY NORMAL IMHO, I choose to get busy and occupied with different things to keep my mind elsewhere. For example: Bear, I'm from Central NJ, so you know what a great weekend it was, weather-wise. Yesterday morning was crappy, and I wasn't real thrilled. BUT, I knew that the sun was coming out later, so I focused on that, and when it got nice, I went outside, and got some things done around the house. You'd be surprised how those negative thoughts vanish when you're in the midst of doing things, and that sense of accomplishment shoves that negativity far away!

We all need to remember that our brain is a very powerful machine, and our opiate use has damaged some parts of it. BUT, and this is the best part, it CAN and WILL repair itself. The more time that passes that we're opiate free, those opiate receptors settle down; and the brain starts producing its own dopamine properly again. This is known; but the tougher part is re-wiring the emotional parts of our brain to say "no mas"! It can be done with positive reinforcement, but it ain't easy, and it takes more time than the physical repairs.
Old 03-12-2009, 06:08 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

BVALJALO and Rocketdiver, I'm sorry for giving the bad advise. Honestly I didn't do much research on the subject, I'm only speaking from personal experience for the withdraws. I was hooked on hydromorphone (yes, the generic form of Dilauded) for over a year, and it only took me 5 days to get over the withdraws without anything else. Then a year later I started on oxycodone 30s (bad idea I know) and I have spent 5 weeks and I still haven't been able to kick it. The pain is bad. The tiredness is relentless. I am really sorry. I never meant to give the bad advise and I would delete it if I could. The truth is that I'm here to get help myself. I thought I could help and I don't doubt you that I was completely mistaken. Perhaps it was just because I was at a better place in my life at that time and it may be due to the mental aspect of it all. Again, I'm sorry. Don't take hydromorphone. I also need help.
Old 03-12-2009, 09:21 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

But IMAGINE ... 50 people ... 50 people a day, walking in, singin' a bar of 'Alices Restaurant' and walkin' out!

I remember that song from when I was a little kid in the early 70's ... used to know the whole 20 minute song by heart when I was like 10 years old...

And like I implied earlier, it's basically impossible to make a blanket statement like opioid A is easier/tougher to get off of than opioid B ... without discussing dosages, and the relative strength of the two drugs with relation to those dosages. I'm sorry, but you just can't do it.
Old 04-17-2009, 12:53 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

1st Day...ish?

I've been on Oxycodone for about 10 months for foot pain. I've had 2 reconstructive foot surgeries and there is a bone separation in one of my feet (and I'll be finding out soon if the same happened in my most recently operated foot) which causes me chronic pain. I gradually increased from 20mg a day (close to the prescribed amount) to about 65mg just this last week when I felt like I wasn't getting relief from it since my body was building a high tolerance, and my doctor wasn't very attentive when my refills began increasing. Today my doctor finally asked what was up and then switched me over to Tylenol 3 and 600 mg Motrin.

Last night I immediately felt the onset of withdrawal symptoms because I cut my dosage from about 10 to 4 the last two days. Feverish, cold sweats, in and out of sleep, and tossing and turning all night. Then my doc gave me the new stuff today. As I'm typing this now, I've taken a huge turn for the worse. I've vomited 5 times in the last 2 hours, have a bit of a fever and cold sweats. At least I feel a little better after vomiting though. I cried alllll day today, still am. Earlier tonight I took a warm bath with Epsom salts, drank chamomile tea, took 1,000mg of vitamin C in powder form, tons of water, and also a tylenol 3. Almost immediately after taking the codeine I felt much worse-- migraine headache, severe nausea, and that's what lead to my first bout of vomiting. I feel like my body is rejecting the codeine, and anything else that is not percocet. Should I just stay away from the codeine as well since I'm going through hell anyway? Or should I keep taking it as prescribed? This is worse than after coming home from the hospital and getting off the Dilaudid machine they had me on. I was taking percocet at the time too, though, but still vomiting a little.

Thanks for your help!
Old 04-17-2009, 04:32 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Day 2

More than 24 hrs off of Percocet! Today was way more tolerable than yesterday. Woke up early after 5 hrs of sleep, not too tired. drank probably 64 oz of water within 3 hours, took more vitamin C (1000mg), and a multi pill that has B12 in it and other good stuff. I think doing all that homeopathic stuff helped. Warm baths help too. I had some oatmeal with blueberries (only a little bit, after getting up to puke 6 times last night I was trying to be cautious) and kept it down. I had diarrhea a lot today (don't want to take Immodium because the stuff needs to get our right?), cold sweats, felt feverish a little bit, and still feel cold. Haha, sorry if this is too detailed. I'm feeling 10 times better today, no more crying...actually laughing. I'm still having foot pain, but trying to take Excedrin (advil doesn't work for me) for it and today I had one tylenol 3. So far, so good! But...we'll see how tonight goes.

This forum was super comforting after the hell I went through last night. In between vomit sessions, I'd come on here and comfort myself. So nice to know that others are in the same boat. It kind of makes me upset that doctors prescribe this knowing full well how fast your body gets addicted. Makes it hard to believe that marijuana is illegal yet morphine and opiates are dished out to patients with pain.
Old 04-17-2009, 05:02 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  
The truth shall set you free

Need,

Welcome to Sober Recovery.

May I suggest you start your own thread? You will get more response that way.

Good luck
Ivan
Old 04-20-2009, 01:57 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  
5 STaR GeNeRaL

Question Suboxone

SUBOXONE!~
Old 04-26-2009, 10:46 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Naltrexone to beat Oxy Withdrawls?

Hello To All,

I am scared to death to start my oxy withdrawls. I have been weening myself for some time, as soon as I feel the least bit of withdrawl I panic and go back to it. I want more than anything to beat this addiction. Will I ever feel normal again? Will I ever regain my energy and be able to get off the couch? Will my crying episodes cease?

I was wondering if any has had any success using Naltrexone to help with oxycontin withdrawals? I have FMS however my doctor has not prescribed oxy, I have had to obtain it off the streets and it was the worst mistake I ever made. I read that is being used for the treatment of FMS and I thought maybe this is my ticket to beating the withdrawl symptons plus finding a pain relief. I am too embarrased to discuss my addiction with my doctor but thought of asking for Naltrexone since is has been approved for FMS and I thought "hey, I can beat the withdrawls at the same time"

Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 06-03-2009, 11:27 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Day 4

1st time poster... 24m coming off a 1 year roxicodone 30mg addiction.... i was up to 4-6 pills a day until i quit cold turkey 4 days ago... Not taking any meds other than advil for the aches and i noticed the hot baths do help short term for the restless legs... Took yesterday and today off from work... couldent handle it... trying to make it through this on my own and losing my mind
Old 06-06-2009, 06:09 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Would suck to go at this alone.

Sorry to hear your going through this alone GSP397. I'm a first time poster and I'm into day 5 of quitting a percocet addiction that had gotten up to 40-50 pills a day ( 10 at a time), brought on from an injury at work 4 years ago and 3 subsequent surgeries. I found this forum really helpfull to read what I could expect from withdrawal but the support from my wife and family is invaluable. My heart truly goes out for people going it alone. It took an emergency room Doctor to help me after an accidental overdose after my family Physician didn't help me when I asked for it. My Doctor's answer for me when I asked for help was to just cut back slowly untill your off it. The Emergency room Doctor said if I was serious about quitting, she would help me. She prescribed me Clonidine 0.1 mg, 3x day for 3 days. This has been my expierience with the withdrawal. I've never gone through withdrawal for anything so I didn't know if the Clonidine helped or not, but I have to say although it hasn't been a walk in the park, it has been easier than I anticipated. And I was terrified of the withdrawal symptoms. I slept for the first day and a half, interupted every 3-4 hrs for half an hour or so. Day 2-3, I had cold sweats, lots of diahareah and can't sleep at all from this restless leg syndrome. I pray I'll sleep tonight. Hot baths do help me. I don't have an urge to take any pills but my body is still suffering a bit. Today was the first day I went out to do errands and it helped immensly when I was busy. Lots of people say the same thing on here and I've read 100's of comments and still like reading comments. Don't now if that helps anyone else but it helps me. Planning on going to meetings soon. Thank you all for your helping comments.
Old 06-06-2009, 09:48 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  
5 STaR GeNeRaL

Wink Are you Ready?

Hello there and welcome to the bourdz...

I had the same problem only i was injecting the drug
though in high amounts!....150mg to 200mg a day!
im currently on suboxone! you might want to look in to it
Im not saying its the wisest move it will take the withdraws away
...In that sinse it's a miracle drug....do more research though! dont take my advice IM NOT A DOCTOR ....

However i do suggest looking at my thread....
It shows my progress from day one quiting oxy....
as well as my first day on suboxone! maybe it would help maybe not?
I just know i wish the pain your feeling right now on no one!!!
I went through it many times! I am very firm when i say.......
YOU HAVE TO WANT TO STOP! if not your wasting your time!
~sounds like to me you do! im here my New friend!
Your welcome to message me anytime!~

march 23rd 2009 is my clean date...

However..Ashamed to say...I did relapse a month ago
for a couple of days...... But not on oxy!
Just had to tell ya ...dont wanna cheat on my clean date!

Hang in there...
Start going to AA/NA MEETINGS
Socializing At the meetings Helps wonders!
You have to find a meeting that fits you!
it may take a while to find "your crowd"
Youll know when you find it!
Let the journey begin man....
Im having a Blast away from oxy!

tony
aka:mrphreez
:ghug

Myu Thread="Mrphreez's Recovery Progress"
Old 06-07-2009, 03:44 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Thanks Tony! My biggest problem I'm having now is not sleeping very much. I got 2.5 hrs last night but it did refresh me. Is that medication suboxone an addictive drug has well? I don't really know if I'm prepared to start another drug that I'll have to quit and detox from, not that I judge anyone that does. What happens between others and their Doctors decision is best for them. The Doctor that helped me said the medication Clonidine was not a narcotic and not addictive. It is a blood pressure medication and would just help with the sypmtoms of withdrawal. Day 6 now and I feel better than yesterday, just sooooooo tired. How long will that last? Weird dreams last night too. I was going to check out a meeting last night,,I was just too tired. maybe I'll be able to catch a nap later...congrats tony on being clean that long..stay strong....
Old 06-07-2009, 09:14 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

hi im ray ray, im a very sick person with fibro, d d diesese tumors in my spine .... to make a long story short the winter was awfull i was on 6 30 mg oxycodone a day then the doc added fent patches .... now its warming up and i dont need as much but im use to takeing all i was takeing .... im affraid if i tell my doc he will take it all away because he is a cold no nonsence doc ... i have seen him kick people out for just asking questions ..... and i have been on the oxy so long i would kinda like to get off to see how bad off i am without it ..... i was bed ridden before ... but again im affraid to say anything ... i dont know what to do
Old 06-07-2009, 09:21 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

oh and what makes this so ironic, i have been an adict all my life then i get struck down with my health where i have to take these meds ..... i love jesus with all my heart but i just cant understand him ( i know im not suppose to )
Old 06-07-2009, 10:00 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

:praying:prayingRayRay, I know exactly what its like to have a Doctor that isin't too receptive to helping you when you may need it. My suggestion would be that if you have the means to do so, get another Doctor. I as well suffer from chronic pain suffered in a work related injury, but I now realize that living with pain from my injury is better, in my opinion and case, then living with the numerous pains associated with addiction to oxycodone. Do your best to rid yourself from this crap. It's not easy but just in the last 6 days I've been clean, it is so worth it. Read alot of these posts to see what you can expext from withdrawal. There all accurate. You may only get a few symptoms like I did.......and by the way...to me, praying does help. Jesus hasn't abandoned you RayRay. That's my opinion anyway....hope you make it....