Notices

oxycodone withdrawal help!

Old 01-08-2009, 07:13 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

I am in day 2 of oxy withdraw

Well I don't know what to say other than I feel like **** and I can barely get out of bed. I wish I had some weed to take the edge off the withdrawal.
I am shaky and cold all of the time and I am not sure whether I want to quit or find a way to get pills.

My husband is a straight shooter so I can see that it hurts him that I am like this.

I have a herniated disk in my back and degenerative disk syndrome in my spine I have been on percocets for over a year and a half straight. I didn't even get high off them just got to function like a normal person and now I can't function at all. I don't want to be around my family and it kills me because I have this beautiful baby boy that just looks up to me and it tears me apart that without the pills I feel like I have no joy in this world and no one should feel like that. I have been a prisoner of the bottle for so long. I didn't know it would be this bad getting off of it. I don't want to be alone but I feel like my husband is disgusted with me. He wont even look at me and I have no one but me and the pills. I am almost through it but I still feel like crap and I cant eve move or get out of bed or feel. I just want to be normal or get some pills to be normal. I just wanted to get this stuff out of my head.

Am I some kind of monster or something.

Help.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:20 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

gwendy, it gets better.

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 01-09-2009, 09:24 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

No, Gwendy. You aren't a terrible person. You are a victim of these horrible pills, of a merciless addiction, just like I am. I am a mother as well, with four beautiful growing children, who have watched me go from tired and lethargic on the couch to happy and energetic when the pills get here.

Its got to be confusing for them. Consider yourself lucky, if you will, that your husband is against you taking the pills. My boyfriend is also addicted. The blind leading the blind.

I haven't had a pill since 6:00 last night. I'm not feeling so hot. I am also going back and forth with whether I want to quit or not. I know it's not MY voice in my head, its the addiction playing with me.

Please know, if nothing else, that you are not alone. There are many of us going through the same thing, at the same time.

Tell your little child that mom isnt feeling well, she must have caught a flu. Hang in there.
Old 01-10-2009, 12:36 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

you will make it I promise!!!
Old 01-11-2009, 07:15 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

My long babbing story about my W/D and life....

Well I am now on Day 4 of W/D from Oxycodone. I still can't sleep through the night and I am still cold all of the time. My husband doesn't get it and still turns off the heater. Although on a positive note now the need for the pill is gone. The crying has stopped and I can actually get out of bed and function. Like clean my house and take care of child. I will admit though that if I don't keep myself busy that my mind starts to wander to the pill. I was so happy taking them and I can remember being happy no matter what I was doing. Now it seems like if I am not doing what I want to do that I can't even be content with doing it. Anyway I am now battling with my own mental addiction and not the physical anymore. I remember feeling good and functional and that is the part that bothers me the most, thinking I cannot function by myself. Those pills had become my happiness receptors for so long my body doesn't know how to make happiness by itself and that bothers me. However I will admit that smoking a little bit of weed did stop all the withdrawal pain I had, made me laugh and I didn't even think of being on pills not once. I was able to eat a little more since my appetite had been erased. I still do have bad back problems so I take a soma or two a day to help me relax and since it is not my drug of choice I have no thoughts of abusing them. I am still waiting for the "normal feeling" to return to me too.

However twist and positive note to my sharing. I have been in plans for the past 6 months I have been involved in a surrogacy program. I had been on the Percocet for almost two years straight at about 8-10 pills a day.

I was so convinced that I needed them for back that I just kept taking them. The truth is that I did need them for back, I just didn't need as many as I was taking.

So my husband kept asking me..."How are you planning to do this surrogacy thing and take those pills everyday"?

Mmh I replied I guess I will just quit. Well the day came that I ran out of pain killers before the date I was supposed to get this refilled and I was forced to stop cold turkey. (another reason that I have second thoughts about staying clean...because the only way to stay clean is to want to do it FOR YOURSELF) I would still be doing them if I had timed my pills better.

However now that the contract is signed and the surrogacy is coming to a pass, I feel conflicted to get them refilled because I really am in a lot of pain and the Doctor said that while I am pregnant taking pain killers occasionally wont make any harm toward the child. So I guess my thoughts are....

Can I do it? Can I take them sparingly? Can I know that they are in the house and not abuse them? Should I take a chance.

If I do use them as directed this time...because of my past and past W/D episode will that happen again?

Well these are my thoughts and I post them because I know that reading these entries really do help me know that I am not alone and I hope that all my babbling will help someone relate to my situation.

I have always been subjected to the drug scene throughout my whole life. My mother was an addict and my father was an addict. My father slammed Meth and my mother was a big Meth addict. I started smoking weed at an early age and tried a few drugs. I did a three year stint of smoking and snorting Meth. I weighed 98 pounds and made my BF at the time sick. (even though he was an alcoholic). Anyway I quit Meth cold turkey the day I smoked an entire 8ball to myself and didn't even get high because my tolerance was so high. I just quit. It wasn't hard at all. I quit smoking weed shortly after because I joined the AF. Weed was a little harder to quit since it was so harmless and made everything feel great. However I served 6 years in the military. I want to say drug free but I guess the pain killers were technically drugs since I did them for fun on top of the need for them.

I remember visiting my mother at rehab and having to stay with all of my mothers drug addict or recovering drug addicts friends houses. They all had no kids and I was forced to spend my years up until age 6 with just adults (seasoned adults...if you get my drift) Anyway this caused me to grow up way to fast. By 24 I have already had two kids and two marriages and still trying to hold. When I was younger I was invincable and now the thought of leaving my kids for rehab makes me sick... I mean don't take it the wrong way people have to do what they have to do to get clean for themselves and their families. I respect my mother for taking the time to make a better life for me. As a mother though I now know how much it broke her heart to have me cling to her legs and cry for her not to leave me with strangers or to leave me period. I now know how that broke her heart and I know how it would break mine.

I share my first son with my first husband and we take turns sharing him every other four months. He lives in NY and I live in CA and I give him up for four months at a time to my ex then I get him back for my four months.

Having my child scream for either me or my ex hubby at the Airport everytime we do the transfer is heart breaking he is only going to be 4 and can't even say goodbye to anyone he hates it so much. My child already has separation issues from everybody leaving him all the time. Two different families and two different states he cries mommy don't leave me please I want to stay with you and vise versa with his father. It breaks my heart so I know that I have to clean up my act while it is still small enough to handle on my own.

Well I guess I have babbled on enough... sorry if this was too long and annoying.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:42 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Day 4!!!!!!

So last Saturday was the end of the party. We woke up on Sunday, feeling hopeful, and got through the day, tho mentally it was torture. Smoked cigarette after cigarette, and I dont even smoke. To be completely honest we smoked pot all day, and we're not pot smokers, but it helped get our minds off of the pills and took away the physical craving a lot. We don't plan on continuing pot, it isnt really our cup of tea. But it did help. It improved our moods and we didnt feel the jones.

Monday I woke up a hundred times drenched in sweat. I didnt have much cramping or diarrhea but I did take immodium at the first sign so I might have staved it off. Monday was hard, I was so tired and couldnt really do anything but lay around and doze off and on. Nothing to eat, couldnt even imagine eating, but I drank a lot of water. The RLS pills worked. Restful Legs at Walgreens. I had no restless legs or arms, at all. My boyfriend called out of work and was a lot of help although he was going thru the same exact thing. I think because he's so much bigger than me and we were taking the same amount it affected me more, so I suffered a bit more than he.

Monday night was another disgusting sweat fest. I sweated through three shirts. Hold and cold, hot and cold. But I think I got a lot of it out of my system because Tuesday after a few hot cups of coffee I got movin, cleaned up everything I'd neglected the past two days, did laundry, made dinner, tho still couldnt eat anything until right before bed.

So it's Wednesday, and I feel ok physically except for excess underarm sweating, but the depression is starting to kick in, the enormity of the time lost to this addiction of mine, the hours and opportunities missed, oh it's just so sad. I think Im over the hump, I can't ever imagine putting myself through day 1 and day 2 again.

Maybe I should go to the doctor and get something for the depression? I hate how it all goes back to medicating myself tho.
Old 01-21-2009, 09:06 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Good for you Ames. You're right, keep the thoughts of days 1 and 2 in mind at all times, w/d's are actually your friend, in a way ... without that effect, you might never be able to stay quit off of opioids. Being totally depressed on day 4 is completely normal. If I were you, I would avoid taking meds to combat it ... pretty damn decent chance that nothing will work, aside from dope, anyways. You need to just let yourself heal for the time being, and just deal. Don't focus or dwell on the past, nor worry about things that may be in the future. Worry about the NOW. One foot in front of the other, try to focus on doing the next right thing and nothing more.

And if I were you, I'd seriously think about checking out some meetings at this point. Now is a GREAT time to start going to AA/NA or somethign of that nature. You won't be sorry you did, I promise you ...
Old 02-04-2009, 02:29 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

oxycontin hell

i just stopped 3 days ago and went from 200mg a day of oxycontin to 10mg of generic percocet just to get me thru the day. ive been having so much diariah... im only 20 and i feel like i want to die. this evil little pill has had me hooked for 7 months since surgery. my muscle aches cold sweats are unbearable. i doint know what to do.... i feel so stupid to think that "i couldnt get hooked". i have no support. i dont want to tell me family nor my sons father. i dont want to be looked at differently. i cant eat cant do anything and i have to be somewhere important friday. i feel like im going to have a nervous breakdown. i dont have any xanax or valiums to help. just low dosage 5mg generic percocet. its not like those do anything at all its just like going cold turkey. its just like i feel lonely once the drugs are done, i just want to die. please help me with any advice anythingggg.....please let me know if ill be able to function atleast by friday. i just miss being sober. i want to be sober... thats the natural high i crave the most.
Old 02-04-2009, 05:57 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Although my screen name is SoCalTeen....it should be XanaxTeen.

Whatever you do....do not take the Xanax for getting of pain killers. Xanax is very addicting...I have first hand experience! I am still addicted, but I'm getting help. Xanax is very, very powerful. It makes you very relaxed and euphoric. It is also very addicting physically and mentally and it messes with your sleep patterns....DON'T DO IT!
Old 02-06-2009, 09:16 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

tomorrow's the big day

hi ev1 been on oxy for 4 yrs and committed to quit tomorrow
i was taking 90 mgs day for 2 herniated disks which healed by the grace of GOD a few months ago so now im takin pills to avoid those nasty wd's
so all you people that pray out there please say one for me. im sure this post will be my new friend through the experience so ill give you's (whoever you's are) updates whenever possible.thanks
Old 02-06-2009, 09:36 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

well my quit day is here saturday 2/7/09 i hope it goes well. i havent started withdrawls yet but im sure they will glady wake me up in the mornin (just like every other day for the past 4 years).
ill post my progress since it seemed to help me accept what im about to go through and let me know i wasnt alone. thanks!!!
Old 02-06-2009, 10:04 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

kingkong,

Welcome to SR! Please keep us posted on how you're doing. There's lots of support here and really good advice!

Love,

Lenina
Old 02-06-2009, 10:07 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  
Stronger than yesterday...

Welcome to SR! You will find a ton of information and support here. Check in and let us know how things are going for you. Sending prayers your way!
Old 02-11-2009, 02:53 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Day 5 and still alive.....its gettin better
Old 03-08-2009, 02:00 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rocketdriver View Post
They told me the surgeries were not disqualifying, but medications are. I am certain they will test for everything. I just talked this over with my wife. It's too hard to go through the w/d in such a short time...
Rocketdiver, I don't want to stop you from quitting the drugs. If you can then all the best to you. However, if you don't have the willpower have you thought about changing to Hydromorphone? It is a Morphine/Narcotic blend made to make the withdrawls easier once you are ready to get off them, the withdrawl only lasts a couple days. Also, it doesn't break down into Morphine and so it is virtually undetectable, and undetectable for all the FAA tests.

Of course I do not condone flying on unapproved medications, just giving an idea.
Old 03-08-2009, 04:40 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  
Go Browns!

Hey if you have made it through Day 1 then congrats!
I have a few suggestions: (**I am not a doctor and I dont play one on TV so I am not giving you medical advice but merely making suggestions**)
First of all, I PERSONALLY dont see a problem with the valium/xanex but only if you are getting it through your doctor. However you have to be made aware of the withdrawals from those two medications if your body gets addicted to them. They are 10 fold the withdrawals of pain meds. Last longer too. So, if you can manage to take them only as needed and I mean REALLY only as needed during the withdrawals then you might be ok.
Heres some stuff that helps me with w/d as I seem to continuously relaps and continuously w/d: Gatorade, Melatonin (so you dont get dependent on the benzos), vitamins, bananas, lots of excersise (walk, run, ride a bike as much as you can force yourself to do), hot baths.
The main thing is trying to keep busy. You have to get through the first few days and then everything will get so much easier. Mentally though the best thing you can do for yourself is work on the mental part. You have to un-addict youself to the habit of taking the pills. Its incorporated into every aspect of your day. How are you going to unincorperate it? I recommend getting to NA meetings and changing anything in your life associated with drugs. Good luck and keep posting!

Lesley
Old 03-09-2009, 05:38 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Did you ever try suboxone? It helps for the first week of withdrawal. It stops the brain from feeling the affects of the withdrawal. Go to the doctor, Get off the valium, and the xanax, and inquire about suboxone. Make sure you tell your doctor what meds your on, cause suboxone cannot be taken with other meds. You will feel fine, and then once the oxys are out of your body, you can stop the suboxone with very little anxiety. Good Luck, I did it that way, and so can you.
Old 03-09-2009, 10:38 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Angelic, just want to straighten out a few points of fact here, no offense

1) Suboxone will keep an addict out of withdrawals for as long as they take it, not just for one week.
2) Not only does it stop the brain from 'feeling the effects of withdrawal', when you take it (except perhaps in the very beginning), you will not even be IN withdrawals, because buprenorphine (the active ingredient) is, in fact, an opioid drug.
3) It's no more contraindicated (i.e. inadvisable) to take buprenorphine 'with other meds' than it is to take any other opioid with other meds, in fact, less so. Nobody should consider this 'advice', okay, but the reality is ... there are very few meds which cannot be taken safely along with buprenorphine. This being said, obviously a doctor should be involved and s/he should know what all their patient is taking, no doubt about it.
4) Just because you tapered down and off of suboxone in the space of a week doesn't mean that it's a good plan for everyone, nor does it mean that anyone who does it this way is going to have easy sailing after only a one-week taper.

Not trying to pick on you Angelic, I think you're a sweetie, kay? But ... I've held my tongue with regards to things you've said about subs on quite a few occasions, and I'm taking this opportunity to just kinda clear the air on few things.
Old 03-09-2009, 10:47 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by antsinmypants View Post
Rocketdiver, I don't want to stop you from quitting the drugs. If you can then all the best to you. However, if you don't have the willpower have you thought about changing to Hydromorphone? It is a Morphine/Narcotic blend made to make the withdrawls easier once you are ready to get off them, the withdrawl only lasts a couple days. Also, it doesn't break down into Morphine and so it is virtually undetectable, and undetectable for all the FAA tests.

Of course I do not condone flying on unapproved medications, just giving an idea.
Ummmm ... WTF are you talking about, man?

Hydromorphone? That's called Dilaudid my friend. Which is easily as addictive as heroin, in fact, it's the friggin PINNACLE of opioid drugs, at least, one's that a person can get in the USA, and probably most of the rest of the world. Put it this way, if you put a bag of dilaudids and a bag of heroin in front of the average heroin addict, the majority of them will choose the bag of dilaudids and be slamming them, in a heartbeat.

And it isn't a 'morphine/narcotic' blend, it's a narcotic, derived from morphine, just like heroin and many other narcotics.

And it DAMN SURE wasn't ever 'made for making withdrawals easier'. In fact, dilaudid has absolutely some of THE WORST, most brutal and longest lasting withdrawals of any opioid out there, This is literally worse advice than telling someone they should switch to Heroin cause it'll make their w/d's easier.

Sheesh ...
Old 03-10-2009, 01:12 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Greetings all. Just putting my $.02 worth in on coming off oxycontin. Here's my story.

I've had severe rheumatoid arthritis for over 20 years, but it's under control/stopped in its tracks by Enbrel for the past 6 years. However, plenty of joint damage in my hands, wrists, lower back, knees, ankles, and feet has occured. As the inflammation went away, it became very painful. My rheumatologist did the following:

2003--Percocet 5mg 4x/day; in 6 months, to 10mg 4x/day
2005--Tried Fentanyl patches, 25mcg and then 50mcg; good pain relief, but nasty nausea
2006--Opana ER 20mg 2x/day
2007--Sent to pain management doctor; increased Opana to 40mg 2x/day, then to 80mg 2x/day
2008--Opana's effectiveness declining, very little experience with it rx'd for 3x/day, so converted to Oxycontin 40mg 3x/day; later to 60mg 3x/day

As 2008 rolled on, my wife of 17 years insisted that I was becoming a different person, and she felt it was due to the pain meds. While I felt this was not the case, and believed that it was more due to work-related stress, I had a choice to make: The wife who's stood by me for 20+ years, or the meds? I chose the wife, as should be.

BUT, the biggest difference is HOW I came off oxy. We consulted with my pain doctor, and here's how we did it.

Start with reducing dosage to 40mg 3x/day for 2 weeks; also, VERY IMPORTANT, clonidine 0.3mg (Catapres patch). This drop was tough! Having run out of percs before, and suffered c/t w/d, it wasn't far from it, but still not as bad. The worst of the symptoms lasted the expected 4 days, then it got MUCH better.

Next, down to 30mg 3x/day for 2 weeks. NO, repeat, NO w/d symptoms to speak of. Definitely started noticing painful joints, though; had to restart taking naproxen again (Aleve) to try and keep joints quiet.

Next step, 20mg 3x/day, 2 weeks. Same as 30mg.

Next, 10mg 3x/day, 2 weeks. Again, no real w/d symptoms, just painful joints.

Then, we went 10mg 2x/day for 1 week, clonidine 0.2mg, then 10 mg once a day for a week, clonidine 0.1mg and done. At the end, I had VERY MILD w/d symptoms, but NOTHING like I expected.

All in all, it took 2 1/2 months to come off oxy nice 'n' easy, and it was not that hard at all to do. One thing I would STRONGLY recommend is to sleep in a bed by yourself; the night sweats and the RLS will drive your spouse/partner crazy! Also, do NOT be alarmed by the vivid dreams you'll experience; even though I'm clean since 2/5/2009, I still have these dreams almost EVERY night.

Now, the supplements that will help.

Immodium (loperamide)--VERY IMPORTANT!!! Go to BJ's or Sam's and get the generic stuff; BJ's sells it in a 2-bottle pack with 192 2mg pills. Trust me, you'll need it. I was taking 3 pills in the a.m., 2 at lunchtime, 2 at bedtime. Loperamide is derived from peperidine, and acts upon opiate receptors in the intestines. Even though it has NO analgesic effects, apparently it DOES trick your brain enough to ease w/d symptoms.

B-Complex vitamins-very helpful
Magnesium, Calcium, Zinc, Potassium--ALL necessary
L-Tyrosine, or just Tyrosine--The LIFESAVER. This stuff is an amino acid, and will combat the lethargy we all go through (Yeah, tell me you didn't love the energy boost oxy gave you!). I take 6 capsules a day, split in 3 doses.
Caffeine--if you're gonna be addicted to something, let it be this stuff. I found that if I didn't have my coffee or Coke (the SODA !), I felt worse...then again, I've been a coffee/soda drinker for years.

So, there you have it. I would like to further say that for those who might question these supplements, just google "Thomas recipe".

Also, for those of you who have successfully come off oxy, how long was it before you got rid of the RLS and the dreams? Also, how long before you actually felt 100% clean, with no withdrawal symptoms, real or imagined? I still have some iffy days, even 5 weeks clean now. I'm determined to stay off these meds, and just want an idea from y'all when the PHYSICAL symptoms will be gone for good. I can handle the mental stuff; I've had ZERO cravings that I've thought about...it's just my body sometimes betraying me!

Thank you all in advance!!!