Notices

oxycodone withdrawal help!

Old 12-01-2008, 02:49 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I was on 150mg a day of oxycodone. I started a suboxone detox three weeks ago. I was told "no w/d symptoms" and, for the most part, they have been correct. I started at 16mgs a day, now tapered down to 3mgs a day. My goal is to be off within the next three weeks. I dread the time that I have to deal with the w/d, but hoping that they are not as bad as the c/t w/d I had when I tried c/t. I made it to five days . . . the lethargy and cravings killed me. I didn't feel like doing anything, the sweats never went away, immodium D helped with uncontrollable runs. The worst was the RLS type feeling, wanting to lie in bed and toss and turn and rock like a crazy person. The worst I've had with suboxone is sleepiness, which may be a side effect of the meds rather than a w/d symptom. It was a piece of cake to get down to 3 mgs, especially compared to the five days of hell I experienced before. I am praying that the end isn't too bad; the doctor swears that I won't experience any w/d. Good luck!
Old 12-01-2008, 07:33 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hopeful, don't believe your doctor. You WILL have withdrawals from subs, but your hope is also correct ... they won't be as bad as c/t'ing off of 150mg of oxy's a day. If you've had no problem getting down to 3mg, you're doing really well. If I were you, I'd do my best to get down to .5mg/day for the last week. You may not feel all that great for that week, but then the week after, it won't really get all *that* much worse, either.

I stepped off at 2mg/day, and I'm not gonna kid you, it wasn't any picnic, but then, by that point, I'd been on the stuff for 7 months, and my oxy habit had been significantly larger than yours to begin with, and had lasted for 3+ years prior to the subs.

Anyways, obviously, the lower you can get your sub dose before you step off, the less painful it will be. If you tried to step off now at 3mg I can promise you, it would suck pretty hard. So you do wanna keep heading down pretty quick here, esp. if you only have a 3 week window.

I've only heard of ONE person who got off of subs without ever really feeling 'bad', and that was one of our own 'Ex-Junky', who got himself down to like .5mg/day every OTHER day, for like the last month he was on the subs.

Course, now he's back 'out there', and we hardly see the guy any more (right, XJ?) ... maybe it was TOO easy coming off the subs the way he did it, if you know what I mean?

There's something to be said for going through a bit of suffering when it comes time to quit this crap...
Old 12-01-2008, 01:11 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Rocketdriver and anyone else thinking of going on suboxone,,,, It's a great drug to use as a crutch, but be aware, it's still a drug! suboxone is an opiate blocker, but it still has opiate in it as well and you will have to get off of that someday too. Although the w/ds aren't as severe as oxy or methodone, they last a long time! Suboxone has a very long half-life. I have over 2 months clean from it and I still don't feel 'normal'. I detoxed from 8mg/day... was on it for about 3 months. Just want you to be aware before you go on thinking it's some miracle drug.... it is,, until you want to quit that too!
Old 12-01-2008, 01:52 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

my friend,I've been exactly at where ur at.DAY 8 IT seemed like bugs were crawling under my skin,and DAY9 I was completly was ****** insane.I'm no doctor but the xannax and valium are only an illusion that ur disease is telling ur brain to fix the opiate add. with a feeling from another drug.If you've really made ur mind up to kick,,,then kick.I've lived in thr underworld and upperworld of recovery.All I know how to do now is try and be 2 people. MAN GET IN A DETOX KKKICCKK THE DOPE IT'S SO EVIL
Old 12-01-2008, 03:15 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Thank you all for the advice. If I didn't find this forum, I would have believed the doctor and would probably have ended up hooked on subs. I am hoping, praying, that six weeks (especially since the last 3 weeks will have 3mg as the highest dose) is not enough time for my body to get really hooked on the suboxone. I realize that it is an opiate and an addiction just like the oxycodone, but based on what everyone writes, it seems that the sub addiction is a little different. I'm cutting the dose about 25% every four days, more difficult as the doses get smaller. I have enough to stretch the detox even longer than the 3 more weeks if I need to. All I'm sure of is, I'm not going to use opiates again (other than suboxone). I was clean for about 15 years . . . I have a really great life, despite my efforts to screw it up . . . but I feel something missing. That "something" is the sober "me". I miss sobriety. I CAN'T WAIT!!!! I hope that I am not jeopardizing sobriety by attempting detox too fast. I am so happy to hear from people who have gotten off of suboxone, gives me a lot of hope. Thank you!
Old 12-02-2008, 10:02 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I was on oxy contin, morphine, and methadone for a lil over 2 years and I remember having to take hydros when I couldn't get anything else. It would take me 15-20 10mg hydros to keep me from being sick and it only last 6-8 hours. I finally quit, and it was the hardest thing i've ever had to do. I stayed in bed for 2 weeks, it hurt to move. I had the shakes, couldn't sleep, and was on the toilet constantly. Even after I stopped being sick it took me 3 months to get my energy back up. Xanax can help, but remember that xanax is another controlled substance and they are also addictive. Trust me I know, I got them prescribed for 4 years. A lot of people will detox under a doctor's care and that is a gread idea!! You can take unisom for sleep, and ibuprophen for the aches and pains. Stay in bed and drink plenty of water. Also,Vitaman C and B12 dots helped me alot, you can get them at a vitamin store like vitamin world or GNC, maybe even WalMart, but I'm not sure about the B12 dots there. Also, if you are under a doctors care, ask your doctor about suboxin. It works great. I know it's hard but you can do it! Good luck and God Bless. You are in my prayers.
Old 12-02-2008, 10:10 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I didn't see the posts about suboxin. I used it for a while and it worked great. I had no problems detoxing from it, I'm not sure of the mg but they were orange. N8? My ex used them as well and he loved them. Just be thankful you're not on methadone. When I finally got clean I used it and I was sick for a long time. Suboxone is nowhere near as bad as methadone. Just follow doctor's orders and you'll be fine. It'll take time and patience but don't push it. You'll get there if you really want it.
Old 12-02-2008, 10:45 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Epiphany00 View Post
Also,Vitaman C and B12 dots helped me alot, you can get them at a vitamin store like vitamin world or GNC, maybe even WalMart, but I'm not sure about the B12 dots there. .
Just a comment on the Vit B12. I'm not sure what B12 "dots" are but you can get B12 either as a pill that you swallow or you can get ones that you dissolve under your tongue (called sublingual or SL in case you didn't know). The SL ones are 'supposed' to be 'better' than the ones you swallow, but either way, B12 is good to start. It helps you get a little more energy plus it is a vitamin and very natural. Definitely drink as much water and other fluids (pedialyte, gatorade, etc) as you can--you have to stay hydrated or you will be in the hospital with dehydration. You can do this!! Vitamins are definitely an important part of recovery in the long term. I also recommend Calcium Pyruvate as that adds a little extra energy as well. Calcium and your B-complex vitamins are the most important for anyone. You can also take some Fish Oil (make sure to get the odorless ones or you'll never take one again!)
Old 12-04-2008, 05:13 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I didn't read much into this post. I just wanted to let the thread starter know that I was just like you at one point. I would get on these forums searching for how long it would take to get rid of withdrawal. The worst part to me was the restless leg syndrome.

The psychical stuff will end in about 4 days give or take. I was afraid to stop because I was sure that it would go on for ever. Sure enough in less than a week you will be feeling a lot better.

The sleeping is hard for me now but the worst is over. I'm on day 11. Good luck with recovery. And remember one pill, will have you back to day 1.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:59 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

So I guess it's my turn. I know my problem isn't as severe as many that I have read on here so far. I'll give you a little background. I started smoking weed on and off.. It didn't interfere with my job and it was a nice way to relax. I quit weed for as much as 8 months at a time, and right now I am two months clean on that. I started eating Roxi 50mg on Nov 4th. My brother takes them for back pain and I was swiping them off him just for a little nice high here and there.. until I started eating 2 a day then 3... then 4 or more. I guess thats just how it goes. Well I decided to put an end to it. I was only eating them regularly for about a month at 4 a day or so. But Saturday afternoon at 4:00 pm was my last pill. I slept ok Saturday night.. and Sunday I woke up feeling the same way I do every morning after eating pills. Like crap. So I decided I wasn't going to take anymore. I had cravings to bust into the medicine cabinet on Sunday night but I didn't. And let me tell you last night was a whopper of a horrible time. I felt fine at around 7pm last night, which was weird so I decided to eat some macaroni. At around 9pm I was feeling tired so I laid down to go to sleep.. then I felt something weird in my throat and I began vomiting profusely. I was leaking out from both ends. Every two hours last night I would get up to vomit.. Could hardly sleep. I think I slept maybe an hour or two MAX.

This morning I felt terrible. Had cold sweats etc. I found this forum last night at around 4 in the morning.. I needed advice. I found alot here which is why I felt I needed to post and thank you all for the sound advice. I'm doing this cold turkey.. And I know again I've only been eating those pills for roughly two months.. but man it kicks your behind when you want it out of your system.

Worst thing is.. I have a job interview in one hour.. and my stomach still feels sour. But I feel a lot better than I did 12 hours ago. Hopefully tonight I can sleep better. I've been drinking tons of water, taking antacid for my upset stomach and I had some immodium for the leakyness.

Pain killers are no good. If I make it to tomorrow which I know I will god willing I won't ever touch those again. I know my story is peanuts to some.. but the way I was spazzing out last night just goes to show you.. its a poison and the body wants it out. By any means necessary.

Well wish me luck on my interview.. I Hope i don't barf up in his face. lol

Warm Baths, video games, toast when I can eat it. Hopefully i feel 100% better tomorrow. 4pm today will be 48hrs without a pill.
Old 01-05-2009, 03:06 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

how do i get my mind off of these things?

I want to quit my 60 mg/day oxycodone habit. every time i try to quit and allow myself to start going through withdrawal the thoughts and the loud screaming addiction voice in my head wins out and i take a pill to shut it up.

the physical symptoms are annoying. its my mind i can't escape from.

keeping myself busy and occupied is hard as i'm a stay at home mother, stuck home most days with not much to do except care for the kids, which is very difficult when i'm tired and on the toilet and having hot and cold sweats. i know i should probably send them to my mothers for a week and go somewhere and detox. it's just too difficult for me to ask for help, to admit that i am in fact powerless.

a friend of mine suggested i go get xanax from the doctor to help ease my mind so i can sweat these oxys out of my system. i don't know if that would be any help at all.

any suggestions for me?

:praying
Old 01-05-2009, 04:39 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I hate the way xanax makes me feel, but they did help with the restlessness. I don't think I'd do that with children under my care. Ambien helped for sleep, and immodium D was great for the diarrhea. Clonopin is something I haven't tried, but will be on my list when I come off of the suboxone I'm on now.

I tried c/t off of a 150mg a day oxycodone habit, made it to day 5 and wasn't feeling any better, so gave up. I hadn't scheduled enough days off work. Most people are over the worst of it by day 3.

If you can do the c/t, do that. Suboxone is great for breaking the cycle of using, kills the cravings, eliminates the w/d. But, a worse habit than oxycodone. I couldn't do c/t, so had to do the suboxone.

I'm now on suboxone, trying to slowly detox. I did a quick detox, got to .75mg and was consistently in mild w/d, doctor put me back up to 4mg and now going to try to detox again, more slowly.
Old 01-05-2009, 04:52 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Why is it that when you 'think' you're feeling better, nighttime comes and you start getting the runny nose again and the queezy feeling in the stomach returns.

I actually got to eat something more than bread at dinner time today. I didn't think I would be able to hold it down.. but that was three hours ago now and I haven't vomited since this morning.

It was really awkward at the job interview too.. I had to wait 20 minutes which felt like an eternity.. and I started sweating.. the chair was uncomfortable because my rear was still sore from the constant going from last night.

Well It's almost 8pm on day 2..50+ hours no pills. And I asked my brother today to keep the pills locked up so I couldn't get to them. GET THEM OUT OF THE MEDICINE CABINET!!

Baths felt great.. been drinking water like a fish and taking ibuprofen every 8 hours cause I am sore all over. I can't imagine what this is like for people who have been taking it for years.. I've only been eating Roxi's for like a month and a half daily and it's very rough.

Right before dinner I was feeling anxious so I went for a walk. That was nice. Sweating some of this poison out.

It's weird when I sit down and try to play some video-games I just don't want to. I am delirious from not sleeping well. I don't have the luxury of some Xanax or even tylenol PMs. So I have to try try try to sleep tonight. It's weird. I am so tired but can't just settle my mind down to sleep. And when I do it doesn't last long. 30 mins here.. maybe an hour there.

Can't wait for 4pm tomorrow! 3 days off this nonsense.
Old 01-05-2009, 05:46 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Game Over,

Here's a technique that sometimes will help me slow my mind down for sleep. Get into your comfortable sleeping position. Close your eyes and focus on reciting a poem or story you know by heart. Tell it to yourself and focus on each word. I use the poem "The Jabberworky" by Lewis Carroll as it's nonsense words.

Hope this helps.

Love,

Lenina
Old 01-06-2009, 05:08 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I slept on and off last night..not a full 8 hours or anything. But I did sleep. And its an amazing feeling when you haven't slept for a while what just a few hours feels like.

Thanks for your help.

Today I feel much much better. Gonna go get a hot shower and get outside and do something.

I'm glad I found this site.

-I might have to go check out 'Jabberwocky. :ghug2
Old 01-06-2009, 08:28 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Good job GO, and welcome to the boards. Can't believe you made a job interview whilst detoxing off of roxy's ... when you had some in the med cabinet. Very impressive my friend Keep up the good work, you're almost there!
Old 01-06-2009, 09:21 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Just a quick question.. How long does it take for the amount of time I was taking these roxi's does it last in your system for drug tests? A month and a half..

Anyway 4 more hours till 72 hours of no pills

Feeling alot better too.. I am able to eat I am happy and in a lot better mood. The further I put this behind me the better I feel.

After I got out of the shower this morning, I opened the med cabinet out of habit and there they were.. a full bottle of Roxis.. I had to catch my breath for a second. I guess thats just how it goes. Shut the cabinet and walked away. I gotta remind my brother to lock those up. I guess he forgot to.

And thanks for the welcome to the boards. I'll be around for a while

Old 01-06-2009, 09:24 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Ech.. sleeping is rough.. I wanna get back to sleeping on the regular so bad. Grrrr
Old 01-06-2009, 10:07 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

First off, unless you get a pretty thorough (i.e. expensive) drug test, roxys don't even show up at all. Your average job-interview style drug test is usually a bargain affair, which tests for opiates (morphine, codeine, heroin, basically) and not for opioids like oxycodone.

Secondly, unless you're talking about a hair test, the stuff remains detectable for *maybe* one week, and most likely, less than that.

Congrats on your 3 days, and for staring down those babies and walking away! You're doing great, honestly
Old 01-07-2009, 12:03 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

yea, wow, that is amazing. I dont think i'd have the willpower to have any in the house or anywhere near me. absolutely wonderful.

i've made plans for this weekend, the kids are going to grandma's. i'm going to see if i can do this on my own. maybe i'll feel better by monday? i plan to sleep and drink water and take tylenol and immodium. i found these restful leg pills at walgreens which I pray to God willl work. restless leg syndrome is probably the worst part of w/d for me.

i'm so sick and tired of thinking about these pills. i hope and pray we all escape this hell.