SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Substance Abuse (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/substance-abuse/)
-   -   Withdrawals - How long do they last??? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/substance-abuse/68842-withdrawals-how-long-do-they-last.html)

Laurie 4 08-27-2005 03:54 PM

Withdrawals - How long do they last???

Hello everyone.

I am not completely new to this board; but have stopped using the oppiates for 5 days and 1 1/2 hours. I've decided to go to the outpatient program because the ACS worker told me I would have to put my three kids in respite if I go the Inpatient route. I could'nt bare to send my children to a stranger - they would be terrified. Anyway, this place gives you 12 .5 mgs tabs Lorazapam, 12 .1 mgs tabs Clonodine, 20 mg Ritilin and 50 mg Trazadone. I am taking these, but I still feel awful!! How long is this pain and discomfort going to last? I am terrified it will last forever - then what am I going to do. I can barely take care of my kids, I just want to sleep this off. I have my 15 year old helping me alot, although I feel guilty about that. Please respond, I am feeling desperate!! I just feel like giving up!! By the way, please don't suggest that I go to an NA meeting. I am not allowed to drive while taking these meds and It would be too painful for me to take the subway.

Laurie

BSPGirl 08-27-2005 04:12 PM

Laurie, have you considered going to a dr or even the ER for that matter, when you really feel bad? Other than that, I am no dr but I think those withdrawal symptoms will go away soon, hang in there. Eventually being clean is the right choice! Talk to me, send me a PM or whatever if you like. :)

Laurie 4 08-27-2005 04:35 PM

Thanks for you response. I am doing this with the help of a Dr's Outpatient program. When I complain, they just give me more pills, and send me on my way. I'm worried about what I will do once the 7 days are over. Will they just say " ok, time's up " Then I will feel awful without help.

Jane63 08-27-2005 05:24 PM

Hi Laurie and welcome to SR! :)
First, CONGRATS on your 5-days and 1 1/2 hours!!! :bananadan Be proud!!!
I am not sure about all the medications you are being given, but sounds like your doctor is addressing alot of the symptoms of WDs...Pain, anxiety and sleeplessness? I am stumped on the Ritilin though{?} Keep in mind that eventually you will have to taper off all the meds you are being given for WDs which will all seem "right" as alittle time goes on.

I went into a 4-day detox last year and was given Clonadine in the patch form which I wore 2-patches on my back for almost 2-weeks. I thought it worked very well in keeping the WDs at bay as I didn't experience alot of the symptoms others had such as diareahea and vomiting. {yuk!} I even decided to take off one of the Clonadine {Catapress} patches before I was told to because I felt it was slowing me down more and I was fine with just the one.

I would suggest keeping in touch often with your doctor to let him know of any symptoms you are having...both so that if they need monitoured and also so that he might set your mind at ease. The WDs DO pass and even though you might not feel 100% for awhile, you will begin to feel better as each day passes!! It is different for everyone, but for me the worst part lasted about a week, with me feeling better when I got to come home {of course} but then I still had my good and bad days for at least another month after that...mainly my problem was that I had absolutely no energy and that drove me nuts, but I made sure I was eating right {small, easy to prepare snacks throughout the day...mini muffins, oranges and toast saved my life! LOL!}, getting some exercise daily even if it was just walking around the house or backyard, getting to bed at a decent hour and not stressing if I couldn't sleep {read, crochet, knit, etc. watch oldies but goodies!} and just trying to stay focused and knowing that you will feel better soon and this will be behind you...and a wonderful and new life ahead!!

Well, hope this has helped you some! I have a thread here on this forum somewhere from the first day I started posting here until just after I was over 1-year clean if you want to read my story.
Best of luck to you and you can also PM me anytime! I don't come in as often but will respond! ****{HUGS}}}
Jane :wave:

Lbad 08-27-2005 07:36 PM

It gets better. A few more days and you won't feel so bad. I promise. You can do it! I know how hard it is but it is so worth it.

angelgirl 08-27-2005 10:32 PM

Hi, I definately agree with both Jane and lbadeker, they have given you very good info. The WORST of the withdrawl should be ending very, very soon. Maybe tomorrow you will wake up feeling much better.. The longest symptom is the sleep difficulties for most.. I still struggle with that, after months off.
But the aches and pain should be over soon. I think the worst of the pain, like the leg aches, lasrted about 5 days for me, then I felt achey on and off. I was living on advil for a while.. Have to even be careful with that. But it did help me, even though I had real doubts anything weaker than an opiate would touch my pain, I found it did help...

I like Jane am really stumped about the ritalin. I have never heard of that, ever.. I have never heard of anyone using that for anything but ADD..
Please just know that you will be feeling better soon.

I know you said not to tell you to go to a NA meeting. But soon you will be feeling a bit better, and if you have ever gone to a meeting before, and you know someone in the program, even if you're not real close to them, most would be very happy to give you a ride. Or call your local help line.. Cities usually have a crisis line, they may have info on how to get a ride to a meeting. They really do help alot.. But the crisis line is also great if you are feeling really bad, you can just call them and talk to them. They are more than willing to lend a ear, and even offer suggestions to you.
Please keep in touch and let us know how you are feeling.. Hang in there, you should be much better soon.
Love, Becky

BSPGirl 08-28-2005 03:14 AM

Uhm I think ritalin is a stimulant (and addictive in itself for that matter, hmmmm) and I'm a bit puzzled why they'd use it to treat opiate withdrawal symptoms but maybe Laurie got diagnosed with ADD too?

08-28-2005 09:02 AM

When I was withdrawling I didnt sleep for more than 100hrs. I have 2 little boys that helped me out alot. It finally got to the point that I would have than jump on my back to make me feel pain and stay awake until they went to bed, then I couldnt fall asleep myself. I felt like I was dreaming, it was very scary. I would yell out and say, "God, I am going to make it! I will not giving up!" I think that actually helped. You should start to feel better, tho. My diarreah didnt stop for 3 months and they say it can last up to 6 months. There are many vitamins that will help, they r all over these forums. I love the people on here, everybody is willing to help, just please keep telling us how ur doing, k. I hope for the best, and u'll be in my prayers.

shestruggles 08-28-2005 09:09 AM

Everyone here has given you great advice - most of it from personal experience - and they all made it through!!!

~isn't this place great?~

I just wanted to add one more thing (from experience)...don't give up and take a pill to make the wds stop!!! I know it seems like silly advice - but - if you do - you'll be back at day 1!!!!

Look at how far you've come!! excellent job! I'll be pulling for you!

Much Love:SS

Laurie 4 08-28-2005 12:17 PM

Thanks everyone for the good advice. I don't think there is any other place where we feel connected and cared for.

Today, I am feeling better, but still having trouble with my restless legs (you know that creepy-crawly feeling) It's driving me nuts! Also, a total lack of energy. So much to do but no energy to get it done. Husband wanted us to take the kids out to a carnival, I just couldn't get up and walk around.The Doc says I have Low blood pressure which is causing me to feel dizzy. Warned me not to get up too fast, might faint. When I was taking all my pills, I was diagnosed with high BP. The Doc said the Ritalin is a stimilant to combat the groggy feeling caused by the other meds. But, I don't like it, it gives me a headach. But I have noticed that the Trazadone helps me sleep all night. Apparently, it isn't addictive and is often used by addicts to help get over their sleeplessness.

Your right She Struggles wouldn't want to be back at "square 1" again. I don't know if this is true but it seems that this Trazadone is giving me a sense of well-being that makes me feel more excited and enthusiastic about my recovery.

Anybody ever take this med and feel the same?

Well, my love and prayers for you all.

Thanks for being there for me during my most difficult time in my life.

Laurie

backpain 09-06-2005 06:18 AM

Withdrawal

Hello all. New here and have some Q's. I stopped vics 4 days ago after tapering to 3 per day from 8-10. Rough weekend. Flu like symptoms, but clearing head and feeling positive. Today comes the diarhea. How long can I expect these physical withdrawal symptoms to last? The sleeplessness has set in, getting 3-4 hrs a clip. Body tired, mind racing. I will beat this, my mind is made up. Just a little apprehensive about the physical stuff. Thanks to all, been reading board for a while now.

Irene 09-07-2005 12:04 AM

I have been off for 23 days. I still have to deal with diarrhea althought it is on & off. I also still have joint aches. Sleeping is slowly improving but only up to 4 hours or so at a time. The first 10 days were pure hell but I went cold turkey from 5-6 fiorinal a day to zero. It was too drastic but am on the upswing now. Drink lots of water. Try to get up and move. Listen to music....dance around the room.

Keep up the great work..............it is all worth it!!! will keep you in my prayers!!

Irene

BSPGirl 09-07-2005 03:25 AM

Hmm Irene the diarrhea (sp? lol) might be caused by other things than the cold turkey, might be worth checking out.

Millwallj 09-07-2005 03:38 AM

withdrawal is awful. what a challange. hope you can make it.

backpain 09-07-2005 06:52 AM

Day five is not better, it is worse. Head is cloudy and craving meds. Stomach cramp and assoc. probs. I was hoping it would get better each day. Is it 2 steps forward, 1 step back? The hard part is I know I can stop the symptoms by popping a pill. I don't want to. In need of some encouragement, time frame direction. Thanks to all.

Lbad 09-07-2005 08:25 AM

I have kicked a lot of opiates in my time and all I can tell you is that it will start to get better very soon. I promise. Day 5-6 were always the worst for me and then slowly I started feeling better.
You are doing awesome! I know it is hard but you will be so relieved when it is over. I am glad you are getting some sleep. I think lack of sleep is the most difficult protracted symptom. Stomach should start feeling a little better in a couple days but be very careful what you try to eat. I ate jello and chicken breasts for a month.
Good luck and God Bless. Have you been to any meeting's? Just curious. :) You might be to sick right now but when you feel a little better maybe. On day 7 I was finally able to get up and get dressed and go to a meeting. It was hard but I did it.

09-07-2005 08:34 AM

I know what ur going through back pain. I was on vic, 6-8 daily. When I stopped, I had diarreah for 6 months on and off, it was horrible but keep on trucking. Every hour is an hour clean and on ur way to recovery. Good luck!

backpain 09-07-2005 08:59 AM

Thanks for the encouragement. Yes, I went to an AA meeting the other night. The kick is I have been sober (alcohol) for 19 yrs. then this... OK day 5 & 6 will be over soon. Will keep on keepin on. Thanks again for the support.

shockozulu 09-07-2005 11:21 AM

When I came clean from the opiate it took me 7 days. The new week came and I felt totally refreshed. I hope this helps.

backpain 09-07-2005 04:18 PM

Thanks again to all. Intermittent rough patches today. Not as bad as I feared. We'll see what tomorrow brings. I check this forum 10-15 times per day. It helps to know that there are those who have gone before and can offer advice. Thanks again for all the support. I cleared my calendar (mostly) for the next few days. Heading to day 6 (but not getting too far ahead of myself)