Notices

New here. Need some help

Old 09-06-2012, 06:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question New here. Need some help

Hi everyone! I've been reading this site for a week but decided to join just now. I'm at 36.5 hours off off roxicodone. Withdrawal woke me up at 3 am. I have been addicted to opiates on and off for 15 years. Since I was 19. My current use has been almost daily for about 3 to 4 weeks. I have been in horrible withdrawal before. I know I don't feel good but it's not the worst and it comes in waves. My question is do you guys think I will get sicker or just be uncomfortable for a few days? I'm a single mom and I have a Job interview tomorrow. I need to be clean to get a job and for my son and I. Before this past 4 weeks I was clean for 2 months but it's been hard since my son was born cuz I feel like it's easier to get things done whir using pain killers. Well right now I'm feeling ok but sweaty and using the bathroom alot. Earlier my arms were burning! What do you think? Thanks!!
Old 09-06-2012, 06:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You may need medical help to get through the detox phase...you gotta think about you and your son..
Old 09-06-2012, 06:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi well I am asking since I don't feel that bad I might be ok. I'm hopeful do you think 3 or 4 weeks will cause bad withdrawal? Or will I feel pretty much how I feel now? I'm so happy to have gone a day and a half even though that's no time at all! I have a job interview for a great job tomorrow and I don't want to feel nasty
Old 09-07-2012, 07:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Angel - we cannot give medical advice here just our experiences. I was also a long term opiate user, starting and stopping many times. You mention you were clean for 2 mos before this last time, but what about before that? I found in my roller coaster ride that a couple of months on and then off still resulted in w/d's. In my experience the second and third day were probably the worse. You were in day 2 when you wrote this and today is day 3. I found that anytime I went back on longer than a week I had some w/d symptoms. This last time I used fairly steady for 9 months, tapered down for about the last month, and still had w/d's for at least a full week, 2nd to 4th day the worst.

For your interview, I would encourage you to take Immodium, force as much fluids as possible, possible take an advil or two for aches.

My recovery is almost at two years now and it is still a struggle, as opiates were a big part of my life for over 20 years. Keep up the good work and commit to recovery. You are still young. I was 57 when I finally committed and it is much harder on the body.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

TheReader hi thank you! I was looking for other peoples experience not really medical advice. I couldn't figure out how I was feeling. Anyway I'm really grateful this is manageable and I'm feeling hopeful!! I don't want to go back. Besides the 2 months I was clean. I was on and off pain pills for the past two years. Before than I had a year of sobriety. All in all its been too many years of drug abuse. I want too be done soo bad! How did you do it??
Old 09-07-2012, 08:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You take it one day at a time. And whenever you get the urge, just remind yourself about you will feel the next day after using. I used to always wake up in the mornings regretting it when I used. But I never once woke up regretting not using.
Old 09-07-2012, 09:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Resident Alien

Originally Posted by danielle0754 View Post
You take it one day at a time. And whenever you get the urge, just remind yourself about you will feel the next day after using. I used to always wake up in the mornings regretting it when I used. But I never once woke up regretting not using.
Amen to that!
Old 09-07-2012, 11:00 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Now that I am down the road in recovery, I look back and see why I made it this time - so far
1) My spouse was an alcoholic for years and this was part of the emotional pain I lived with that prompted my continued use of opiates. He quit drinking 5 years ago. I felt even more guilty continuing my addiction in secret when he had conquered his.
2) One day I sat down and really added up the cost in dollars and cents. This is an eye opening exercise. I had bought on-line for about the last 5 yrs of using and paid a large price (not to mention a possible legal one if I had been caught importing from overseas).
3) My on-line sources dried up as increased regulation and security measures came into play. I was never one to buy pills from the street or people - all of mine was either legit, codeine/cough syrup I signed for for many years until that stopped, and then on-line pills (mainly codeine and soma). It was almost like God intervened a step at the time cutting off my sources, as last move was when Soma became a controlled substance.
4) My faith. I returned to the church in late 2008. Stopped for 3 months in early 2010 and at last made it when I stopped for good 12/19/2010.
5) This website - Sober Recovery. God definitely led me here. I am not even sure now how I found it, but the people here with their stories have been a life saver.

I still struggle, but I try to focus on my blessings. I am very lucky to have a home almost paid for, a 30 year old child who gives me no trouble or really never has, a now sober husband, a good job, and loving friends and family. I never used drugs as a young person, just got hooked due a physical problem and loved the way the pills took away the emotional pain, gave me a lift during those years I was trying to "do it all". You ladies know what I mean.
Lastly, I cannot be around the pills as they are still temptation.

Keep up the good fight and remember the right road of life is narrow. Give yourself praise for every day of success. Love yourself and keep posting on SR!
Old 09-07-2012, 11:57 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

TheReader, thanks for sharing that with me. I'm feeling good the interview went good! My addiction started when I became a pharmacy tech. I want to do this so my son and I have a good life. I too have spent a ton of $$ next time I get my unemployment check I'm going to buy us something instead of wasting any extra on pills. Hopefully I will get this job. I will know by the end of the day!! Thanks for all the support
Old 09-07-2012, 07:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Angel...I hope your interview went okay. For me it was the constant tiredness that I had even for a few months after I was sober. You have to battle and take care of your body now. Once you are over the brain fog it will help you immensly but it also comes with those occassional demons saying you can use again when in reality....you can't and never will be able too. Good Luck! I am rooting for you!
Old 09-08-2012, 12:38 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

My interview was pretty good but I didn't get the position. I got pretty down after I found out they went with someone else. I didn't think I was going to make it but I ended up going to dinner with my son and parents then I called a woman from a meeting I just started going to. We talked for a half hour and I started to feel better. I'm going to an AA meeting tonight. I can't believe I actually picked up the phone. I always usually isolate. This time I'm going to do things different! My symptoms are mostly acheyness and I'm tired and a bit of insomnia. Last time I used was Wednesday at 730 am so I'm almost past day 3
Old 09-08-2012, 01:24 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Keeping going Angel. That is only one job. Keep going to meetings and talking with people especially those who are sober. You can do this. I lost my job due to my addiction and am back on my feet. Won't say it was good but I am working towards cleaning my financial mess up. Something will come your way. Try to stay motivated towards that goal even if you don't want too.
Old 09-08-2012, 01:46 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Likehappiness thanks for the support!! I am only talking to sober people now. The girl I called last night has 3 years. I think I'm going to ask her to be my sponsor. Right now I'm feeling so achey and tired. I was running around all morning and I had to ouch myself. Maybe I will sleep tonight!!
Old 09-08-2012, 07:48 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome, Angel!

I'm a single mom, too, and I know how stressful that can be. You're doing the best thing ever for yourself and your son!

Keep things as simple as possible right now and hang in there......I hope you'll start feeling better soon!
Old 09-08-2012, 08:30 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thank you artsoul!