SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Substance Abuse (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/substance-abuse/)
-   -   Searching 4 Words of Inspiration/Encouragement? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/substance-abuse/60859-searching-4-words-inspiration-encouragement.html)

eaglesgirl 06-02-2005 03:15 PM

Searching 4 Words of Inspiration/Encouragement?

Hi All!

I am very new here. I am the wife of an addict. He has started a 21-day detos with suboxone for the second time. He was clean for almost 40 days the first time before he relapsed again. He did not go to NA then, but is going this time around.

I have been reading here for a little while, and have been truly inspired by some of your stories. You have given me hope that there is a chance for recovery...that it works if you work it.

What my question to all of you courageous people that are working a program and actively seeking recovery:

...What phrases, terms, etc., have given you the strength and will to continue on this path to recovery?

Thank you for taking the time to read my post, and give me the courage and strength to support him in his program...while I try to seek mine.

Anna 06-02-2005 04:22 PM

Hi Eaglesgirl,

Your husband is lucky to have your support and I'm glad to hear that you're taking care of yourself too. I've been sober about 4 1/2 years and I was a control freak, always afraid that if I let go of anything the world would fall apart. Of course my world did fall apart and I had to learn that I needed to let go of things in order to live. So, I'm not an AA person, but I love the Serenity Prayer. It keeps me grounded.

"God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference."

Anna

Lbad 06-02-2005 04:24 PM

When I have been at my darkest moments the thoughts and words of others have saved me. The one that comes to mind the most is that " No matter what happens if I continue to do the next right thing in front of me my Higher Power WILL take care of me and I will be OK. No matter what. In my life even when I thought I just couldn't do it I held on to that thought and I made it through. Also this prayer: God take My will and My life, guide me in My recovery and show me how to live, clean." It is a third step prayer. I hope this helps.
God Bless,
lbadeker

gpashtun 06-02-2005 09:15 PM

Being sick of the sickness is what put me on the path to recovery in 1990 and again this time around. For a prayer or phrase I would have to agree with Anna... I've repeated the serenity prayer over and over. It's so simple and powerful. And when things get tough, that's what you'll hear me saying.

I can't think of any other specific phrases off the top of my head besides the meeting cliches (although I'm sure I know a ton), but once I was on the road to recovery and I started working on the underlying problems, I found the following books to be very helpful: 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen Covey, Total Self Confidence by Dr. Robert Anthony. There are many more that I can check on my shelf for if you're interested. John Maxwell is a good author. These books don't deal directly with addiction, but they did help me with some underlying problems.

I've been meaning to check out Mark Sichel who deals directly with addiction and the underlying problems, but I haven't gotten to it yet. I'm guessing he's good if he's got his own forum on this site.

I'm very happy to hear that you and your husband are on the path to recovery. Please keep us up to date with how both of you are doing. He's very blessed to have such a supportive spouse.

much love...
gp

eaglesgirl 06-03-2005 12:32 PM

Thanks for your responses.

I have been checking out a few different books. Just haven't decided which to choose.

Anyone else have any motivational quotes?

Any more would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

FaeryQueen 06-03-2005 12:41 PM

Eaglesgirl,

These two affirmations have helped me tremendously.

"Don't quit five minutes before the miracle"

and

"Let Go, Let God"

:wave:
Tanya

mishelly 06-03-2005 01:01 PM

Hi eaglesgirl...recovering alcoholic/addict here and I attend both AA and NA meetings. In addition to what has already been posted, i.e. The Serenity Prayer, etc...

"Thy will be done, not mine" always gets me back on track...

"Rarely have we seen a person fail who has thoroughly followed our path" from the Big Book of AA, Chapter Six, Into Action

"Nothing changes if nothing changes"

...oh, and one more...

"the only way to fix the mess you're in is to fix the mess you are".