Notices

Interventionon TLC

Old 04-25-2005, 03:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Interventionon TLC

Last night TLC aired a show called intervention in which they filmed two actual interventions. One was a shopaholic and one a gambling addict. Both ended with the subjects agreeing to go into treatment.

It was fascinating to watch. What struck me was how lucky those people seemed to me, to have family and friends who would go to such lengths to support them and get them well.

They are going to air another episode next week.

-Necile
Old 04-25-2005, 03:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
old enough to know BETTER!!!!!

That is wonderful .... wish I had watched the program.

The sad truth is that although my family were all set to intervene ... just a few weeks ago ... but I was so so so much in denial that I got angry and hurt by their idea.

Now, I wish I had gone and owe them an apology .... which has yet to happen .... for they are now keeping their distance .... and now I'm alone and feeling it .... and don't have anyone to call or talk to. I don't blame them and I'm working hard to regain their love and respect again .... but, I know it will take time!

Would you let me know what day next week they are airing another episode. Would love to watch.

Thanks for sharing!

Maria
Old 04-25-2005, 03:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think it's on every Sunday, not sure what time. I always mean to watch it, but I forget to! Each week they show 2 different interventions - I know they have done:
a cocaine addict (who was also a whitehouse intern, I think), a cutter (so sad), the shopaholic and the gambler (i saw some it on the commerical).
I need to write myself a reminder to watch it. I am a hard core 'arrested development' fan, thought and I think they may be on at the same time. I don't know if anyone else watches it, but- talk about dysfunctional families...it's good to see the extreme and laugh about it. It's good just to laugh!
Maria: it's good that you can now see that you were in denial. I am sure you will regain thier love and respect. Don't forget about us folks at SR when you are feeling alone and need to talk!
Much Love: SS
Old 04-25-2005, 04:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Clean & Serene Punk Rock Mommy

My only problem with this show, having watched all the episodes, is that it gives the impression that a "successful intervention" is all one needs to get their addiction free life back. It is so much more than that.
Old 04-25-2005, 05:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
old enough to know BETTER!!!!!

WOW ... I get such a powerfully STRONG feeling when I'm here! So many people, such as yourself, give me that strength when you welcome me with open arms and offer help and it's so nice to know that there's always someone out there!

It's been a GODSEND tonite! Since tonite is the first time that I've been alone, on my own and I could have very easily gone to the liquor store ... as a matter of fact that's all I thought of all day and lost sleep last night thinking I might not be strong enough to be alone. However, this site, and the good people here, have kept me from doing so. Never thought I could.

I am so grateful I found SR. REEALLY!

Thank you so very much!

Much love back atcha!
Maria
Old 04-26-2005, 06:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Necile,
I watched one of the Intervention shows a couple weeks ago {they are on late at night here, but I usually fall asleep with the TV on in bed! LOL!}...It was about a girl addicted to Crack and another story about a fella addictd to Coke who had lost absolutely everything he owned! Very sad!!

I have some trouble watching them...cannot quite put my finger on it, but I find them very sad and usually switch over to something abit more light-hearted!

**{HUGS}}
Jane
Old 04-26-2005, 09:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey all - it's midnight here and and pi$$ing rain. I just finished watching an episode of inervention - both were drug addicts. The girl, Alyson, arg! it was so hard to watch, for so many different reasons. Jane, you said, you couldn't quite put your finger on it, why they kinda disturbed, you I feel the same way. I'm all torn up right now. Watching that girl swallow handfulls of morphine, benzo's and anti-depressants. At one point, she dumped out her pill bag, and it looked so much like my 'drawer'. I recognized every drug she mentioned. Even watching her smoke crack, something that was never my DOC, still evoked such strong feelings. It was hard to watch. I just felt that girl was so muck like me, and as gross as it sounds, it made me miss my 'old life'. I am so stirred up right now - I had settled in for bed when the show came on - now I am wide eyed (not drug induced) and awake with serious knots in my tummy. I don't think I'm ready for graphic scenes like that.

I am trying hard to just sit here, sip some tea, and concentrate concentrate on my recovery - on the positive feelings I've maintained through the last 11 days. I want to WANT to be clean. I know I'm there, this just threw me for a loop, I guess. I have managed to cut out all associations with my life as a using addict, and that has helped alot. I need to focus n that. It also helps to focus on how sh!tty I felt after using, the guilt, the shame - even when I was high it was still there. When I came down, it was unbearable. I promised myslef i would not feel like that again. FOCUS.

BTW, I am not writing this post as a cry for help, or confessing that I am thinking about using. That will not happen - I will not let that happen. I've come too far and refuse to go back. I guess I just wanted to express how much the show 'stirred me up', and I rememered this thread...
Also: I agree that the kinda fairly tale perfect intervention ending oversimplified things, but I have to admit I was glad it was in there.

Much Love to all you strong strong people - you inspire me. That's why I had to get on here - fill my head with all of your courage, remember that we all suffer and find our way through it without using. Tomorrow I will wake up yet again, and I think 'I did it. day 11. now let's start day 12'
Peace, love, hugs to all the kind souls at SR: SS
Old 04-26-2005, 09:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Not all better, getting better

I think the show is actually on A&E, could be on both I guess, but I just watched it on A&E. It was hard to watch. I'm still not sure what I think about it. Exploitive, yes. Helpful, maybe. I guess if it brings the pain of addiction out and helps people understand it might be worth it. I still wonder about the "reality" of it. The people involved allowed an awful lot of access. Still I would say watch it and see what you think. I will say one thing, it was hard watching the girl hit that bong. Pot is my DOC, I'm sure the crackheads out there would say the same thing when she hit the crack pipe. Made me think that maybe I'm not as well as I like to think I am.
Old 04-27-2005, 05:35 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

SS,
Yeah, it IS disturbing to see all of that familiar and sad stuff on the TV and especially when you are so early into your recovery! JMO, but if you find yourself being upset by it or feeling like using, quickly switch over to something more light-hearted like those good ol' re-runs of "All In The Family" or "Roseanne"!!
Let Archie Bunker heal thy mind!! LOL, jus' kidding..but there is something quite comforting about watching shows from a more happier time in our youth!

Take care and be well!!
****{HUGS}}}
Jane
Old 04-29-2005, 03:24 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I have not yet seen the show. We had an intervention this summer for my husband. Although it was actually very helpful for the kids and I to come together as a team and they realized that addiction is really behind a lot of their dad's behavior; my husband was enraged by it, and has filed for divorce (after 26+yrs). That was 6 months ago; his denial may be growing a bit weaker. Needless to say; he did not enter treatment, perhaps it has planted the seed. I can only pray.
Old 05-08-2005, 07:15 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Everyone,

I found your comments really interesting. I also find this show somewhat disturbing although also very motivational. I think the disturbing aspect for me is a touch of jealousy (as hard as that is to admit). All these people have family and friends who stick by them through so much. I am terrified that if my family had any idea of the extent of my problems they would simply reject me. I can't imagine them standing by me like those people on this show.

Tonight's episode is about a gambling/vicodin addict. Her husband seems somewhat aware of her problem, but still so loving.

By the way, I don't say it often enough, but I am very grateful to this site and all of you for being here for me and all the others who are groping in the dark.

-Necile
Old 05-09-2005, 12:00 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I actually have 'Intervention parties' at my house every sunday!
about 5-7 friends come over, we eat and watch the show.
Old 05-09-2005, 12:43 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

The show is on A&E as far as I know. I watched the episode with Alyson, turns out one of my friends used to go out with her before she became addicted to drugs. Very sad.