Notices

withdrawal related depression

Old 07-16-2017, 03:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

withdrawal related depression

Hey there,

Other than diet and exercise..and patience.. does anyone have any other ideas for dealing with the malaise and just overall oppressing feelings of sadness opiate withdrawal brings with it?

Thanks guys.
Old 07-16-2017, 05:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey Josh

Not sure how far along you are. There is a lot of great info on the web

Google. How to quit heroine. There is tons of good advice from people with experience

I wish you the best of luck. I hope you are going through withdrawals for your recovery
Old 07-17-2017, 11:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I don't know how far out you are Josh, but something called PAWS can set in after the acute withdrawals are over. With PAWS (post acute withdrawal syndrome) a person can feel very "blah". Anything from lack of energy to an overall malaise, like you describe... to feeling down/depressed/oppressed.

Those are all very icky feelings.

I'm always on the lookout for depression and it often goes untreated or people are in denial about how depressed they truly are.

Good sleep is so very important, so I don't know if you are sleeping well or not. Diet is so important too. Exercise/activity is good...but if you don't feel well, that's a hard one too....listen to your body. Sometimes people just don't get enough REST!

I regularly tap into music, reading, walking, and try to do nice things for myself as much as possible.

Also, something to think about. Many people use drugs in the first place to actually treat underlying depression. So, if you had pre-existing depression, it's perhaps not just going to go away because you've stopped using drugs. These are all things I sure wouldn't hesitate to explore with a Dr., counselor, or therapist, friends, family, whoever might first listen to you. But, don't ignore how you feel....regardless, we're here for you, friend and please let us know how you're doing. We care!
Old 07-18-2017, 02:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for the replies.. I'm sure there was a bit of pre-existing depression. I have something for that. I think yesterday it was just stress.

Today... I'm just mad at the world. Every little thing sets me off and pisses me off. I'm so angry..when I'm not angry, I don't want to do anything and am depressed. That has been my two emotions. Nothing else.

I recently stopped hydrocodone. I quit. Done. Today is day 2. I'm NO STRANGER to the withdrawal process. That isn't even the problem. This time around, the last time, is nothing but emotions. I'm mad I quit. Life was 'easier' to manage and deal with. Now I find myself saying 'I can't do this...that...sober.'

I work two jobs and take care of a parent.. so my life is pretty much set around those three activities. I have an odd sleep schedule but it works. I know all of these things are working against me, but..these emotions are just all over the place. I'm tired of being emotional. ha.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks,
J