Notices

Why is it so hard to stop METH?

Old 04-14-2017, 07:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Why is it so hard to stop METH?

I am so angry over my semi ex spouse and her Meth addiction, which she stupidly added heroin into 6 months ago.

For the life of me I don't understand. I mean I am 37, in my late teens and early 20's I did meth on and off for quite awhile. In fact I think I had an "addiction" for a good solid 9-10 months. But one day I just decided that I was done. I slept for a few days, ate and ate, got fat, and moved on with my life.

Even at 23 I went on a meth binge for almost a month, even smoked some crack in there. Yea, I stayed longer than I should. But again, I left, slept, and stopped. That time though there was some residual anxiety left after I stopped. But no cravings!

In fact I smoked a bunch of heroin one time, and nothing. Didnt even really like it.

Weed for years straight. 3 days it took to return to normal.

It angers me so much that my beautiful, smart, kind, pretty, sort of ex spouse chose meth over her family.

So whats the big pull?

Why can't she stop? She chose the drugs over her family. I even kicked her out of her home and it not only did she not stop, she went further into it. So angry. Shes too smart for that. She came and got off the meth for at least a week then relapsed a few times. Now I am sure she has fell off the wagon and added it to her heroin addiction again. She just sits and tweeks. Hangs out with scummy people when she is nothing like them. Think of a beautiful classy woman. Consorting with the likes of scummy heroin and meth heads. Its sickening.

Sorry I am just frustrated. I chose this forum instead of the family and friends because I wanted some perspective from recovering addicts.

I just never understood the pull of the drugs,
Old 04-14-2017, 11:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry Johnnie - I have no answers for you. Only tried meth once. Hated it.
For others obviously thats not the case.

D
Old 04-15-2017, 06:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have been clean for 5 months I still crave it. The only thing stopping me from using again is my willpower. If she really doesn't want to stop she won't because it controls her. I even dream about about having it every night. I won't give into my temptations though. Hope that helps.
Old 04-16-2017, 04:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Nice to meet you Johhnie
Old 04-19-2017, 11:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well, Johnnie-consider yourself lucky that you didn't get trapped into addiction. Because for those that are truly addicted is it truly a TRAP.

Bondage.

Why? I don't know why people do meth. Or heroin. I've never done either of those, so I cannot speak from personal intimate experience with those drugs. But, I have had limited interaction with both meth and heroin addicts. And, I've done some reading up on it too. I was once assaulted by a young man high on meth. The look in his eyes was scary. There is a lot of meth use in the area I live in. It is about the most destructive drug there is.

Why do people use it?

The reasons vary widely. "Soccer moms" are also getting into meth these days. They want lots of energy, for one thing.....so they can keep up with their kids' busy schedules and be the perfect wife. mother, home-maker....have those fresh-baked cookies when the kids get home from school...keep a perfect house.....keep a perfect figure (weight loss and weight management).....I knew one lady who got into meth because she wanted to lose weight. She was afraid her husband would stray if she didn't get the weight off and be her perfect size again like she was when they first got together. Meth keeps people "up" for several hours at a time. It gives them energy without needing to eat much...it's an appetite suppressant.

One 'sign' of the meth user is someone who keeps a spotless house....they sometimes perform certain "tasks" repetitively and compulsively....almost like OCD.... but this is drug-induced behavior. On a more scientific level: Meth causes a LOT of dopamine to be produced/released in the brain. So, a big fat dopamine high. And, dopamine is the neurotransmitter that gives people 'drive' and also makes them feel incredibly "up"....and they love that feeling....perhaps because they are feeling sort of "low".

Heroin: It became popular among super models because it is an appetite suppressant; therefore helping them keep thin..... and it also produces feelings of euphoria.

I don't know your girlfriend....maybe she has issues she has been battling with for some time....I've always pretty much believed that there are underlying issues at play....makes you wonder how well you really know a person...what kind of things are they "holding" inside.....you never know...maybe there was a traumatic event in their past they have stuffed down....and it's resurfacing in some way....

Yes, she is smart, attractive, has all sorts of wonderful qualities...but addiction does not play favorites, my friend. Addiction can happen to anyone; any "type".... including those we consider high acheivers....and have so much going for them....

Anyways, I'm sorry you are going through this...I know it's hard. Hang in there....
Old 04-26-2017, 09:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by johnnie360 View Post
I am so angry over my semi ex spouse and her Meth addiction, which she stupidly added heroin into 6 months ago.

For the life of me I don't understand. I mean I am 37, in my late teens and early 20's I did meth on and off for quite awhile. In fact I think I had an "addiction" for a good solid 9-10 months. But one day I just decided that I was done. I slept for a few days, ate and ate, got fat, and moved on with my life.

Even at 23 I went on a meth binge for almost a month, even smoked some crack in there. Yea, I stayed longer than I should. But again, I left, slept, and stopped. That time though there was some residual anxiety left after I stopped. But no cravings!

In fact I smoked a bunch of heroin one time, and nothing. Didnt even really like it.

It angers me so much that my beautiful, smart, kind, pretty, sort of ex spouse chose meth over her family.

So whats the big pull?

Why can't she stop? She chose the drugs over her family. I even kicked her out of her home and it not only did she not stop, she went further into it. So angry. Shes too smart for that. She came and got off the meth for at least a week then relapsed a few times. Now I am sure she has fell off the wagon and added it to her heroin addiction again. She just sits and tweeks. Hangs out with scummy people when she is nothing like them. Think of a beautiful classy woman. Consorting with the likes of scummy heroin and meth heads. Its sickening.

Sorry I am just frustrated. I chose this forum instead of the family and friends because I wanted some perspective from recovering addicts.

It's actually the addiction or the feeling of need to use it that she can't quit. Maybe she needs to see a therapist or go into rehab, At this point that is the best thing you can do for her. You need to persuade her to get help.
Old 04-26-2017, 09:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Being Sober is Awesome

Meth is the worst, I have never personally done it but my cousin is hooked on it and has been in and out of jail most his life, he is a former shell of his old self, it has taken his soul. I wish it was never ever made.
Old 04-29-2017, 07:49 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Meth isvery bad buddy. Good luck!
Old 04-29-2017, 01:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Not again

I don't thing anybody truly understands addiction. Everyone has advise and theories, but people still use and die. I think we must stop trying to impose our will on others and simply ask, how can I help?
Old 07-20-2017, 09:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Are you still there Johnie360.

Originally Posted by johnnie360 View Post

So whats the big pull?

Hi Johnie

I'm very new on here and I'm on Day 5 with no Meth.
Maybe you've sorted out your concerns? If you still check in to this site, please keep doing so. In 2 days, strangers have made me feel "normal" to feel "unnormal", if that makes sense.
Meth is very hard to stop, (otherwise everyone would stop).
Throughout my addiction I kept a very high profile job, I kept the entire addiction away from family and friends, no one knew I was using. I functioned "normally" in society.
The moment I said, enough is enough, 5days ago, was not easy, and everyday since has been worse, than not easy, but positive, if that makes sense.
I feel it's a decision that has to be made by the user and they must believe in that decision to be able to make any progress.

As replies to my post have been, there are some wonderful people within this site. (I've only been on here 2 days and can see this).

Maybe have your partner join up.

I personally would love to take this journey with someone who is at a similar stage in the recovery process.
Being able to share the pain does actually help.
Be strong.
Old 07-21-2017, 07:44 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Drugs affect different people in different ways. Its not exactly clear why but some people are more prone to addiction than others: the closest answer seems to be a mix of genetics, behavioral factors, upbringing etc..

Some people can drink socially or on occasion and lead normal lives, while others were pretty much alcoholic from the start. Some people can have a phase with drugs and then turn around and put them down. There are others that become a junkie within a week. Regardless of which category you fall into everyone is vulnerable to addiction at some point. At which point you cross that line is different for everybody and its impossible to tell where that line falls.

That being said: you are extremely lucky to have danced with Meth and come out standing on two feet. It is an extremely powerful substance that is capable of ravaging anybody's life, predisposition to addiction or not. Had you kept going another 9 months: its likely you'd still be using it now, that's if you were still alive.
Old 07-22-2017, 07:04 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

On a more scientific level: Meth causes a LOT of dopamine to be produced/released in the brain. So, a big fat dopamine high. And, dopamine is the neurotransmitter that gives people 'drive' and also makes them feel incredibly "up"....and they love that feeling....perhaps because they are feeling sort of "low".

This is a lot of it. There is a HUGE biological component to any kind of addiction, but for some ppl certain specific drugs effect the brain in a very profound way. It literally changes the way it works.