Notices

I think my sister is addicted to coke..

Old 03-29-2017, 12:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I think my sister is addicted to coke..

My sister won't ask for help. She called me at 3 AM last night, and we had some awkward small talk. Finally after 30 mins, she admitted to me in so many words that her BF had gone to sleep hours ago, and that "she just kept doing the coke he bought". She sounded sad and desperate.
It could have just been the drugs for why she called me, but she sounded super upset and I just brushed it over (since I am in recovery for alcoholism) and laughed about it.
I DO NOT want to push 12 step recovery on her. I HATE people who do that. My father did that me to me, and I constantly resent him for it. I have a friend in AA who works with her, so should I maybe mention to her that the girl could take her to a CA meeting, or should I wait until she directly asks for help? I don't want my sister to be helpless and homeless before she gets the help she needs!!
Old 03-29-2017, 03:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by khendal46 View Post

should I maybe mention to her that the girl could take her to a CA meeting,
I've seen that work in a few cases where family or friends took a drunk or an addict to a meeting or two and they stayed clean and sober.

Some are ready to stop but, just don't realize it yet.

MB
Old 03-29-2017, 01:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It's a tough call friend. I totally get not wanting to be pushy. I think that can completely turn people off and turn them away from you and you might be the person she will turn to for help if/when she feels like she can do that. Addicts are a bit touchy this way: they really don't like it when they feel people judge them or condemn them; and they can be very very touchy about that..... They will likely avoid those types of people. This is partly why those working in rehab settings need to be of the type of demeanor of non-condemning and non-judgemental. If you come across that way, they won't turn to you for help. Be approachable....and continue to be there for her and when the time is right you can suggest ways for her to get help. It's been said over and over and over that you can't fix it; they have to want this for themselves. Good luck...
Old 03-29-2017, 02:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Let her be. When she's ready she's ready. She very well may be turning to you because she knows you won't be pushy about recovery. She probably feels safe with you. That's a good thing. All you can do is be there for her when and if.
Old 03-29-2017, 03:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

i suspect it was the drugs - instead of drunk dialing, she was coke dialing. i mean who calls someone at 3am? someone still up doing coke, that's who.

she knows you are in recovery. she knows she can ask for help. it's hard to say after one late nite blow session if she truly NEEDS help.

as a former crackhead myself, i'm scratching my head over the "bf went to sleep hours ago" part......say what? when there was dope left????? i imagine he'll be a little peeved in the morning.........

i would not for now include a co-worker, regardless of her CA affiliation.