Notices

Restless legs medication - addictive?

Old 02-25-2017, 10:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Restless legs medication - addictive?

Hello, everyone.

Hope you are all well and having a great sober weekend.

I’ve got a question about medication for restless legs – hope this is the right forum and I’m not asking for medical advice, just your experience.

My Dad had restless legs most of his adult life and my brother has it along with me, so it kinda runs in our family. Mine really started to become noticeable and a problem when I was about 25. My doctor prescribed medication called Pexola (generic is Oxpola), a dose of 0.25mg in the evening. It worked well for many years and then started to lose it’s effect. I sometimes took 2 and on desperate occasions 3 when it really got bad (when it moves into my shoulders I know I’m in for a heavy night). I spoke to my doctor and she upped the dose to 1mg a night. She said it wasn’t a problem and we could increase the dose even further if we had to.
I asked my Dr about possible dependency and she didn’t seem to think it was an issue – she knows I’m a recovering alcoholic and thus may be more inclined to become easily addicted to something. I’ve been on Pexola for about the last 15 years, taking it every night and sometimes during the day too. I often get these squirming sensations on long haul flights or even train trips where I’m “forced” to sit still for periods of time.

Here’s the question – lately I’ve been getting anxious and very aware of the dose I’m taking. I’ve got subtle – and sometimes not so subtle – feelings of “I need this stuff really badly – I won’t be able to go to sleep without it”. I’ve done a few searches but have not come up with anything substantial.

Anyone else had this condition and can offer their experience with this drug?

Thanks,

Bruce.
Old 02-25-2017, 11:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am not to familiar with this drug, but some drugs cannot be addicting, I know my partner has MS and she takes a parkinson drug for it, it has helped her tremendously and me as well from the one getting kicked. She has been taken this drug for years and there were times she went without it for a few days with no effects no wd no problems hope that helps
Old 02-25-2017, 01:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Lostsoul,

Thanks very much for the quick response, it certainly does help.

Maybe my mind is just playing around with me.

Thanks again,

Bruce.
Old 02-25-2017, 02:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Some drugs cannot be addicting,
I'm the other side of the coin.
I treat any drug with caution.

Long term use of anything may bring a kind of dependency.

I don't know, I'm not a Dr and I've never taken this drug.

Why not express your concerns with your Dr, Bruce?

D
Old 02-25-2017, 05:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I'm the other side of the coin.
I treat any drug with caution.

Long term use of anything may bring a kind of dependency.

I don't know, I'm not a Dr and I've never taken this drug.

Why not express your concerns with your Dr, Bruce?

D
I 100% agree but if this medication is like the stuff my partner takes it is non mood altering its like taking an anti biotic for an infection. I know for example Barb she had some massive oral surgery and she had to take percocets for some time and I was worried but she just stopped went through mild wd but she didn't go through that oh I need one to feel normal thing that I did. I don't understand how some get addicted some don't but if your taking a medication that is helping you with a medical condition I personally can't see the issue but Dee is right talk to your doctor and see what he thinks
Old 02-25-2017, 07:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks, Guys.

I'm due for my annual check up in a couple of weeks (the anniversary of me initially getting off the grog - I went for a checkup when I first got sober) and will ask her again then.

This stuff is definitely not "mood-altering", but I'm feeling more and more dependant on it. It's like a ritual. I look forward to taking it at night.

Thanks,

Bruce.
Old 02-26-2017, 01:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

Hi Bruce!

I've had RLS my entire life! In 1991 I was prescribed clonidine. The stuff just knocked me out cold! So I could only take it right before going to bed.

For the past ten years I've been taking Carbidopa! I can take it day or night. I have NO feelings of taking it to get high or feelings of being addicted to it! I only take it when I feel those crawling worms starting in my legs when I'm awake. I take it right before going to bed so I don't have to deal with the RLS waking me up! I've run marathons lying in bed with the RLS problems. I prefer to avoid those!

There are lots of medications being used for the RLS. Talk to your doctor about changing your meds to something you don't feel like you are getting addicted to if that's what you think you need?

TOD
Old 02-26-2017, 03:45 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Restless Leg Syndrome is something my father suffers from. What we have read and what his doctor told him is that once you start taking the medication at a certain dose, it will work at that dose for a while, and then it won't. So, higher doses are typically required as you go along, so to speak. His doctor said that not only is that not uncommon, it is usually anticipated. If that makes you uncomfortable then certainly speak with your doctor.
Old 02-26-2017, 06:23 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hello, TOD.

Many thanks for the points, much appreciated!

It's difficult to explain what it's like to someone who's never experienced it. Lying in bed with these waves of squirms running over my knees. You just HAVE to move. And the waves don't stop. Then when it really wants to get cute, it expands to elbows and then shoulders. I've even had it in the cinema!

When I was drinking I had mostly passed out so the alcohol oblivion masked it.

Super, thank you for the tips and I will certainly ask her about the medication you kindly mentioned.

All the best,

Bruce.
Old 02-26-2017, 06:40 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Oh I know Bruce, my partner Barb has it, and many ah nights I would be woken up with a whack to my shin, it would literally drive me to the couch, now she is on a parkinson drug medication and she uses these special socks that work on reflexology and never woke up in years, The socks are called Voxx and if you wanted more info I could pm to you
Old 02-26-2017, 06:42 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hello, Seren (you're Welsh?).

Thank you for the response.

I guess that's why my Dr was almost blasé about increasing the dose by 4x, from 0.25 to 1mg in one go. I did tell her that on occasion I took 3 a night, but that was the rare exception. I will certainly ask her during the check-up, and about changing medication. RLS is a big deal for me! I don't know how people maybe 50, 100 years ago managed to get any sleep without tablets?

Perhaps this follows the track of alcohol and many drugs, I suppose, where bigger and bigger doses are required for the same effect?

My alcohol consumption was certainly like that. And I noticed it especially (kindling) when I fell off a while ago. The beginning of my second round of drinking was the same volume as when I had stopped.

It's almost like there was a deep memory stashed away of what the previous volumes had been, and I defaulted to that memory setting. And then it got progressively worse. Something I think about quite a lot.

Maybe I should pose it as a topic in the Newcomer's Section for some experienced responses?

Many thanks!

Bruce.
Old 02-26-2017, 06:54 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hello, Lost,

I believe Pexola is also used for the treatment of Parkinson's, but I don't know about the dosage or anything else.

I'd love to hear more about these socks, please?
I live in a rather hot climate and the heat just seems to compound the RLS at night, so anything else to help control it would be great.

Looking forward to hearing from you, thank you,
B
Old 03-10-2017, 10:42 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Some feedback.

Not a big poster, but I thought I owed you an update.

Went to my Dr a week ago and the sister drew some blood for tests so the results would be ready for the consultation.

Saw my Dr and was a bit nervous.
Blood pressure fine, all the blood tests were neutral. No untoward signals or results. I was very relieved.
I discussed the pexola dilemma with my Dr and she basically said it's understandable, but you can carry on with it. If it generates more thoughts and feelings, then we can consider switching, but she explained that a lot of the alternatives are indeed subject to abuse.
I started running again a month ago and I think that has really helped.
Just wanted to give an update.
B.
Old 03-11-2017, 03:06 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by BruceSA View Post
Hello, Seren (you're Welsh?).

Thank you for the response.

I guess that's why my Dr was almost blasé about increasing the dose by 4x, from 0.25 to 1mg in one go. I did tell her that on occasion I took 3 a night, but that was the rare exception. I will certainly ask her during the check-up, and about changing medication. RLS is a big deal for me! I don't know how people maybe 50, 100 years ago managed to get any sleep without tablets?

Perhaps this follows the track of alcohol and many drugs, I suppose, where bigger and bigger doses are required for the same effect?

My alcohol consumption was certainly like that. And I noticed it especially (kindling) when I fell off a while ago. The beginning of my second round of drinking was the same volume as when I had stopped.

It's almost like there was a deep memory stashed away of what the previous volumes had been, and I defaulted to that memory setting. And then it got progressively worse. Something I think about quite a lot.

Maybe I should pose it as a topic in the Newcomer's Section for some experienced responses?

Many thanks!

Bruce.
Hi Bruce,

There is some Welsh in my ancestry, but much more so my late husband. He spoke Welsh fluently and helped me pick my username here

Sleep can be so elusive sometimes, right? I suppose if you couldn't sleep, you just couldn't sleep. But nowadays we are such a caffeinated, over-stimulated, media inputs 24/7 society--it's no wonder many people have such problems.

I'm glad to hear you have started running because I know exercise helps in so many ways I need to start doing something, too!

Good luck as you continue!
Old 03-11-2017, 04:41 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thank you, Seren, much appreciated.

My ancestry is just north of the Border, round Lockerbie / Dumfries, actually, but I was born here and have lived my whole life here.

I've really battled with insomnia but have got used to it. My routine is to sleep around 8 or before and wake around 3AM. Early sleep is the best for me. The later sleep gets shallower and shallower. That's my usual quota. I get up and run about 5 k's - it's nice and cool and very, very quiet. The running has helped my squirms, I think.
I don't drink coffee and try to stay away from our local news - our politics is insane and corrosive - I guess the less said the better. All feeders of insomnia, though.

Maybe you could start off with brusque walking and then build up? Luckily my knees haven't konked in.

Thanks for the response, and good luck to you too, Seren.
B.
Old 03-11-2017, 09:53 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Sorry, Seren, I forgot to mention- I can moan and groan at 3AM whilst running and nobody is around to hear!

My whole body clock has shifted and I like it like this.
B.
Old 05-23-2017, 11:36 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

BruceSA!

Since my last post in Feb! I've been having a lot of problems with RLS during the day time. I contacted my doctor about it. She prescribed PRAMIPEXOLE DIHYDROCHLORIDE 0.125MG TABs. I take one pill at bedtime. Since starting this I've had very little trouble with the RLS during the day.

Just wanted to let you know what is working for me.

TOD
Old 05-24-2017, 03:37 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

It's funny that you say your sleep pattern has shifted to be earlier...mine, too. I am awake usually between 4 and 5 a.m. I just don't go running! (bum knee, old babysitting injury....long story )

I hope you have been able to continue to get some RLS relief with your doctor's help, Bruce.

TOD, I'm glad to hear you have found something that works for your daytime RLS!