Notices

Update to tapering

Old 02-08-2016, 07:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Update to tapering

First thank you to everyone who replied to my previous post..to refresh i was taking morphone er 15mg x 2 a day for a little over a month. Now that my back pain has subsided considerably (nothing aleve cant help) I'm coming off the meds. I saw my doctor friday and he gave me the usual prescription and told me to start a taper with a 25% reduction the first week and reduce it to 25% each week until i'm off. I've been following this since friday - I feel some tightness in my arms and a bit of a warm feeling, minor..very minor muscle pain in my arms and legs...if this is the worse it gets then I pretty much worried over nothing...

I'm just wondering if I should just cut if off all together, if I did how long would the wd symptoms last? I would even take a couple of days off of work if needed I just want to get this over with. My biggest concern is my family's history of addiction..my back pain is gone and i want these pills gone.

I also read online from a lot of users that immodum AD helps with a lot of the symptoms? Since my withdrawal is mild at worst I'm thinking of giving that a try as well.

I'd appreciate any insight and I really appreciate all the encouraging replies and pms. Thank you so much. - Mark
Old 02-08-2016, 07:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

If it was me, I would taper just like the doctor says. Better for your mind and body.
Old 02-08-2016, 07:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Full withdrawal should set in within 24 hours maximum of your last dose, if you don't take anything and can handle how you feel after 24 hours I would imagine your withdrawal will only lessen over time. Of course listen to your doctor. Just saying that if you can handle how you feel after 24 hours you can probably handle stopping cold turkey rather than tapering.
Old 02-08-2016, 07:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

And for stomach symptoms Imodium and gasex always helped me.
Old 02-08-2016, 10:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Have you spoken to a Dr about this ?
Old 02-08-2016, 11:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Sober wolf is correct about talking to your dr, he knows you and your situation best
Old 02-09-2016, 05:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

i did, he said since i was only on them for a month my withdrawls would be mild at worse - that tapering would help if i had to go to work, etc. he said at most the mild withdrawls will subside in a week or less. he said with tapering or not there will be withdrawal either way, just with the tapering its much less irritating (he specified irritating and not painful) mainly a mild pins and needles feeling, very minor muscle aches.

im trying without the taper, so far with some aleve and immodium it's a little tough, i feel like i got a flu..no real pain tho - if i play my xbox it takes my mind off of it. ill see how i feel tomorrow since thats supposedly when withdrawal really kicks in...

Again thanks to all for your input. - Mark
Old 02-10-2016, 12:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi Mark I want you to know this site is excellent from its mods to the recovery here it's top notch

Lean on us if you ever need I'm sure youl meet friends in recovery here too

With you all the way bud
Old 02-10-2016, 10:38 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Linenoise View Post
First thank you to everyone who replied to my previous post..to refresh i was taking morphone er 15mg x 2 a day for a little over a month. Now that my back pain has subsided considerably (nothing aleve cant help) I'm coming off the meds. I saw my doctor friday and he gave me the usual prescription and told me to start a taper with a 25% reduction the first week and reduce it to 25% each week until i'm off. I've been following this since friday - I feel some tightness in my arms and a bit of a warm feeling, minor..very minor muscle pain in my arms and legs...if this is the worse it gets then I pretty much worried over nothing...

I'm just wondering if I should just cut if off all together, if I did how long would the wd symptoms last? I would even take a couple of days off of work if needed I just want to get this over with. My biggest concern is my family's history of addiction..my back pain is gone and i want these pills gone.

I also read online from a lot of users that immodum AD helps with a lot of the symptoms? Since my withdrawal is mild at worst I'm thinking of giving that a try as well.

I'd appreciate any insight and I really appreciate all the encouraging replies and pms. Thank you so much. - Mark
if you were only on it a month your dependency should be barely nothing. just follow the taper to make it easier. i was on oxycodone for over 10 years it took me nearly a 8 month taper and im 5 months off now with some symptoms still popping up. i dont think youll have any side effects if it was only a month use. and if you do they wont last very long or will prob be a minor nuisance here and there. now if you take a huge case like me that had a huge dependancy it took me nearly 3 months for horrific symptoms to dull down. numb arms and legs, 3 month cough, etc. youll prob just have some leg cramps and maybe some sneezing. maybe diareah (cha cha cha). maybe partial loss of appetite.
Old 02-10-2016, 11:33 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Since you're lucky enough to have a doctor in charge of your tapering, you should just go ahead and follow his advice. If you stick to the tapering schedule you mentioned you really shouldn't experience any withdrawals at all.
I know people don't like hearing this, but withdrawals are always a partially psychological thing. In your situation I'm guessing that a huge part of the symptoms you are experiencing is due to the fact that you were expecting to feel bad. One month is just barely long enough for anyone to become dependent on an opiate.
You can definitely go ahead and take some Imodium, it could help either way.
And please don't be offended, detoxing is made worse for everyone by the knowledge that the illness they're experiencing is from drug withdrawals - it's not just you. I've done blind tapering off methadone and I'll be perfectly honest, when I didn't know my dose had been lowered I was 100% fine. On the other hand, I once thought my dose had been lowered by 30% and I was sick as a dog. Turns out they hadn't even changed it yet.
Since I realized how big a part my mind played in my withdrawals, I've actually found them easier to handle.
Try not to think about it, or even talk about how you're feeling (except with your doctor of course). The less attention you pay it, the better you'll feel.