Notices

Do I tell my doctor?

Old 07-13-2020, 03:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Do I tell my doctor?

So it has been a looong time since I posted here. I relapsed somewhat recently and went out for about a month straight. Once I got my bearings, I went to my doctor and she prescribed me gabapentin 400 mg, 3 times a day. Problem is I take almost 3 times that amount.

I run out early every month and feel half dead until they allow me to refill. This causes a rollercoaster effect for me where I am always either feeling great while I have it or feeling down when I don't. I guess Im wondering whether I should just be honest with my doc and have her take me off it or switch me to something else, I don't know.

The gabs really help with mood and take away lingering back and neck pain. However maybe coming off of them and dealing with life the way everyone else does is the correct answer. At this point I don't know what feelings are caused by the meds and what is real world pain or mental issues. I don't want to relapse again and go through this process all over but at this rate it is almost bound to happen.
Any advice would be much appreciated.

Last edited by FormerSurfer; 07-13-2020 at 03:26 PM. Reason: Horrible Grammer
Old 07-13-2020, 04:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FormerSurfer View Post
So it has been a looong time since I posted here. I relapsed somewhat recently and went out for about a month straight. Once I got my bearings, I went to my doctor and she prescribed me gabapentin 400 mg, 3 times a day. Problem is I take almost 3 times that amount.

I run out early every month and feel half dead until they allow me to refill. This causes a rollercoaster effect for me where I am always either feeling great while I have it or feeling down when I don't. I guess Im wondering whether I should just be honest with my doc and have her take me off it or switch me to something else, I don't know.

The gabs really help with mood and take away lingering back and neck pain. However maybe coming off of them and dealing with life the way everyone else does is the correct answer. At this point I don't know what feelings are caused by the meds and what is real world pain or mental issues. I don't want to relapse again and go through this process all over but at this rate it is almost bound to happen.
Any advice would be much appreciated.
It all comes down to what you really want. Today I make 60 days check out my post in the new comments section. 2 week program. I was in the same position Ice been on prescription opiates for years, I would take all my script and then withdrawal a few days then back on my next prescription. I finally told my doctor after years of abusing my medicine. For me it releived alot of anxiety on my next fix for opiates. No turning back, doctor wanted to prescribe me another medicine for my pain. I declined the medication. For myself I have alot of anxiety issues that I masked with opiates. And I am working on it. What ever decision you make there is alot of good people here to help you along the way.
Old 07-13-2020, 04:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi FormerSurfer

i think if you want change, you need to come clean with your Dr,

D
Old 07-14-2020, 06:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

This may sound cliche but ...the truth will set you free.
Old 07-14-2020, 06:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yes, tell your Dr. Hopefully, you can be started on a taper program until you are only taking the correct amount of medicine each day.
It’s not good for your body to keep going through withdrawals every month. Sounds awful!
Old 07-14-2020, 09:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yes tell the Dr. I know Gabapentin isnt a controlled prescription but there is absolutely a withdrawal from it. You realize it was invented as a seizure medication and could cause seizures when withdrawing. If youre abusing it you need to have a Dr withdraw you from it. The yoyo thing you are doing is dangerous. I realize we have all probably done worse but this is about recovery and you need help with this medication. I have seen people have serious problems with this drug please be careful. Good luck Peace, Tom
Old 07-14-2020, 02:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for the replies folks. I am leaning toward telling my doc to take me off it. Yes I am aware of the possibility of seizures when coming off, however, I have literally done this 4 months in a row now and haven't had any effects like that so Im fairly certain that shouldn't be an issue. Honestly Im not as nervous about the withdrawals (they do suck though!) as I am about not being on the gabapentin anymore. Gabapentin has literally turned my life around. I'm doing things I haven't done in years, I legit went out and learned a new language, I'm taking art classes, Im teaching my son to surf. As soon as I stop taking this stuff like becomes dull and pointless. I have constant nagging back pain and just general depression. Everybody tells me what a difference they've noticed.. but I know I don't have control.
Old 07-15-2020, 05:58 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Maybe the Dr can rotate you onto something similar then after a few months back on. I'm not saying it doesnt have benefits. It's just if you see yourself abusing it then you need to loook at that. I wish you luck and just keep talking about it. I find I'm only as sick as my secrets. Everything needs to be out in the light if you know what I mean. Peace Tom
Old 07-16-2020, 11:37 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hope you are doing well @FormerSurfer

I think you absolutely tell your Doctor.

I was recently prescribed Gabapentin and it helps tremendously with nerve pain associated with my medical issues. 300mg 4x daily. I sometimes take 2 in the afternoon or evening if I'm hurting more than usual. I have read that some people will abuse them, but even when I take 2 I don't notice any euphoria, they make me a bit drowsy if anything (especially if I take them with lunch/dinner).
Old 07-16-2020, 02:42 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks Chance. Yes, they definitely affect different people in different ways. They give me a ton of energy and definitely some euphoria when I take them the way I had been taking them.. Almost similar to what I've heard Ritalin does. I would say be careful and definitely take them as prescribed. They can be a problem for sure.

I actually did talk to my doc today on zoom, though. I told her that I wasn't planning on taking the gabapentin going forward. I didn't tell her that I was abusing them because I didn't want to have that in her little notes, but I told her I didn't like the way they make me feel.. Which is completely untrue, I love the way they make me feel, that's the problem. She recommended titrating down over the next month. In reality though, I had already run out 3 days ago and have been off them since. Feeling pretty lazy and having some back pain for sure but Im hoping its temporary. Lots of hot showers to get myself moving and good (loud) music to keep me going.

Last edited by FormerSurfer; 07-16-2020 at 02:47 PM. Reason: Grammer as always