Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Drug Addiction > Substance Abuse
Reload this Page >

Welcome to TOD's clean time! (was ' TOD One Year Clean!')

Notices

Welcome to TOD's clean time! (was ' TOD One Year Clean!')

Old 07-25-2017, 11:26 PM
  # 261 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

Hello everybody!

We have been having some extremely hot days here. We have been rotating chickens throughout the pens and carriers so theirs can get cleaned, then we move them back into the clean carrier. They are too used to the A/C in the house to put them outside right now. This weekend we are supposed to get a break from the heat. They'll go outside if it's not too hot!

I get Danny Boy aka Daniel Boone out once a day/evening to walk around the house for awhile. He's got stiff jerky legs and I want him to get some walking time to help them feel better. Tonight I was in the kitchen cooking and he was in the living room. Then I hear clicking toenails on the kitchen floor. I turn around and there he is! Goose talking me and turning his head sideways trying to see what I was doing. I gave him a piece of bread and put some meal worms on it. He got all excited and sent them flying every where across the floor. Sigh! Another clean up job! He chased each one down and ate it. Jethro walked over to him and he took off fussing. Jethro said: "Oh that's right? You're a momma's boy!" LOL Regardless? He's going to be a very big boy when he's fully grown!

This past Thursday I got the bone spur/nodule removed! Nurse told me: "Rinse with warm salt water, have a nice day after the procedure!" I haven't had much pain from it. Advil gel caps took care of the little pain I had. The stitches came out yesterday while I was asleep. Found them on my bed! Then Friday I went back and got my permanent bottom plate. The new plate makes my bottom tooth on the left super tender/sore. Gotta talk to my dentist about it. And sadly I was told my dentist is retiring in December. I had to fight back the tears. It's so hard to find a good dentist and a good doctor.

Jethro and myself have appointments later today to get our hair cuts and other hair stuff done. It's been a few months since either one of us has been in the Salon. She about fainted when I sent her a text to make an appointment. LOL

Everybody have a clean day!

TOD
Old 07-28-2017, 11:49 PM
  # 262 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

Hello everyone!

We are finally getting a short break from the heatwave! Had a good rain storm come thru today too!

This evening when I was working on getting things ready to cook supper? I glanced at Danny's carrier! OMG! I have never had a chicken that can put the pout face on like he does! So I walked over to his carrier, got him out, wrapped him in his large snuggle towel and handed him to Jethro. He immediately snuggled in against Jethro and went to sleep. After awhile Jethro needed to get up. So I stretched out one of their fuzzy throw blankets on the couch and put him in it, covered him up and went back to the kitchen. He moved around until he got his head sticking out and went back to sleep!

Later after eating supper and standing at the sink washing dishes. He kept walking over to me complaining. I gave him some meal worms. He ate those and wanted more. I gave him a bowl of leftovers from a goodie bowl. He ate all that and wanted more. Ugh! I pulled out the bowl of diced bologna to add some to the bowl and then said: "The hell with it!" I put the bowl in front of him and said: "Eat till you get enough!" And ate he did! LOL Jethro walked into the kitchen and stood there staring at him. Then he walked over to the fridge to see how many more packages we had in the fridge! LOL

Danny finally got full and walked around the kitchen for a few minutes! Then he walked over to me while I was finishing the dishes and started pecking at my shoes and pants. I kept telling him to stop, but he continued. At one point I took the sprayer and hit him a couple of times with water to quit! He took a few steps back trying to figure out what happened. I dried my hands and picked him up. Jethro walked up and I handed him over. I suggested he put him in his carrier. So after doing that? Danny jumped up on his roost and went right to sleep. GEEEEZZZZ The boy is rotten!

My neighbor across the street is going to take one of the Ostrich boys! Thank you Lord! Now I can start introducing the other one to the two girls. Once everyone is getting along? I can send them to my sister's house! My neighbor has one lone hen and he'll be good company for her. Jethro and myself are going to help her work on her chicken coop and run to make it safe for the both of them.

Jethro is just about done with the pen he's been working on for the dog pen crew too. The four young boys can sleep in it so there's more room in the other coop that came with them. We still have to get over to my older sister's house to take down the chicken coop that's been there for years. It's built like Fort Knox and is going to be a task to take down.

Friday we got our hair care done and then went out to eat. From there we went shopping at Walmart! The next day Jethro read in the newspaper where a young man was found in the woods close to Walmart the day before, dead. He had overdosed according to the article.

While at my hair dresser's salon? She told me a young man had jumped off a freeway bridge. Seven cars hit him. I have to wonder if drugs weren't involved in that young man's decision to commit suicide?

Everyone have a clean day!

TOD
Old 07-28-2017, 11:58 PM
  # 263 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

I left Danny in the porch room the other day while I was inside. When I came out to check on him? I found him sitting on the corner of my desk waiting for me.

[IMG][/IMG]

TOD
Old 08-06-2017, 01:40 AM
  # 264 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

Hello everybody!

It's HOT again! And starting today we are getting rain every day this week! Sigh! Everything thankfully is very lush and green though! I'll take this over the dry stuff any day!

Jethro has sanded down a medium sized Ammo box I got many years ago. He's going to varnish it and then put shelves in it so I can use it in the kitchen to put spices in it! I was going to use it for a bathroom cabinet, but he's got some nice wood stored in his barn that he's going to use for it instead! He'll make the measurements and then start construction on it. I have a very long Ammo box he's going to fix up for me to keep my rifles in it! Since getting all of his tools and machines in his new shop? He's been building things like crazy!

He's been having a lot of pain in his left knee again! Which means he's taking his pain meds for a few days. OMG! I just want to pack a bag and disappear while he's on them. I can't stand being around him. One hour he's Mr. Do It All and then the next he's bossing me around. Then he gets moody and angry at the smallest things. I told him a week ago: "When you're tired of wearing braces and icing that knee? Make a doctor's appointment!" Apparently he did, because there was a message on the phone from the doctor's office! Both of his knees have been scraped before, so there's no telling what will happen at this point? IK he's dreading another surgery as much as I am, but something needs to happen and soon to get him out of this pain and back on track! I have to watch him closely when he's on these damned pain meds. He'll put the wrong chickens together, or in the wrong carriers and pens. And that's not a good thing. Fights will break out and then I have bloody chickens to wash! He even forgets to put Brandon to bed at night and to take Tasha out to potty! I just get so furious when he gets like this.

Little Danny has decided he needs to go out to the shop every evening now after coming in and eating his bowl of goodies! So it's become routine to take him out to the shop to walk around for a little bit or longer if Jethro stays out there for awhile.

I let Brandon out of his cage last night to walk around the house! He was being a clown as usual. I picked him up at one point and set him on the couch behind Jethro. Jethro picked him up and set him on his shoulder. Brandon had his eyes on my feet walking by and out of the blue he pecked Jethro on his chest muscle. The look on Jethro's face was priceless! I couldn't stop laughing. I'm glad he got pecked and not me. LOL That's the first time Brandon's ever done that, so it was funny as hell!

Well little Ginger is turning into a grown hen. She's now squatting when we reach to pick her up! Sigh! The funny thing is she'll pitter patter on the floor, heavily! So we now have a pitter patter and Brandon bringing the Thunder in his carrier! I told Jethro to send Ginger to Brandon to be serviced. He said: "Hell NO. I don't want anymore babies!" I looked at him and said: "WHAT? Brandon would have to fertilize her eggs and then they'd have to be set on for 21 days to hatch, to get babies!" He looked back at me and said: "Well you know what I mean!" SMH Um No I don't know what you mean? Ugh!

The two Barred Rock hens are also squatting! Everyone's growing up! Need to figure out which Roo, the two Ostrich boys, I'm going to send with the two hens to my sisters so I can start introducing them.

Anyhow! Pretty much crazy chicken stuff going on around here as usual! Jethro has been doing a lot of work in the yard to get limbs trimmed and mowing the grass a lot with all the rain we've been having. I'm still clean off the pain meds! Living life as freely and joyful as I can!

TOD
Old 08-11-2017, 01:59 AM
  # 265 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

Hello everyone!

I want to share my events of the day with those that might be struggling with doing the same thing?

Jethro and myself went to a chicken meeting at the Community Center today! I called Mom after the meeting ended and asked if she wanted to eat at the Dairy Bar? So after she arrived we ordered our food, ate, talked for awhile and then walked outside. I asked her about a friend I went to High School with. Her husband has stage 3 Prostrate cancer. She told me he was in home hospice care. I said I should stop by to visit. She was like; Noooo, well maybe! (Mom doesn't like to be a bother to anyone)! So on the way home I kept trying to decide if I should stop or not. Finally I told Jethro to stop at their house. I'd rather see him breathing than not breathing. I'm glad I did! I feel I helped to make a difference for everyone's sadness for a little bit while talking about our lives.

My friend told me she hasn't left the house since he arrived home on hospice care. I had to kind of laugh when I first got there and she hugged me. She said: "You smell SOOO good!" Alrighty then! LOL

I told her "I can't imagine going thru what you're going thru?" She said: "I've buried my parents, two siblings and now my husband!" OMG

When I walked in the door my High School friend got up and came to me. She grabbed me in a big hug! She was crying on my shoulder and I started tearing up too. We just stood there holding each other for awhile. The immediate family members were there. They recognized me and came rushing over to give me a big hug! I eventually made my way to my friend's bed. He was in a Hospice bed in the living room. There was a Nurse there that turned out to be his sister. While standing at his bedside I put my hand on his shoulder. He was skin and bones. He hadn't eaten anything in over a week. I kept my hand on his shoulder while me and the family started talking about what's been going on with all of us. A young male adult said he'd just been released from prison after spending 6 months in there due to Meth! There was laughter and PPL talking over each other! His wife was just SOOO happy to have me there. (We've talked by FB PM's and she knew what I went thru with my Dad while I cared for him on 3rd shift his last week at home on Hospice Care.) The Nurse gave him some liquid Morphine. As we got louder in our talking? He started raising his arm up! I pulled my hand back and pointed at his arm as I was stepping back so the family could gather around him. Their daughter was asleep and the Nurse told everyone to wake her up! Quickly. As the family was gathered he passed. That was at 5:00 PM!

She walked over to me, hugged me, thanked me again for stopping by! Said: "I don't know what to do now?" I said: "His sister, (The nurse), is making phone calls!" She nodded and I went to find his sister. I told her what she said. The nurse said: "I only need to make one phone call and everything will be taken care of!" I asked the wife if she needed me to stay? She said no and we left!

With all said above! The family of friends and neighbors NEED us to stop by while their loved one is on Hospice Care! It's a very lonely, scary time in their lives! So don't hesitate to stop by and give them a hug and share some tears.

TOD
Old 08-11-2017, 06:17 AM
  # 266 (permalink)  

Amen!
Old 08-12-2017, 08:04 PM
  # 267 (permalink)  

The pic of Brandon is so awesome. He is such a little cutie pie. Loved the pic of Danny, too.
Loved what you said in your last post and I second Tea's amen. I am sorry about your friend. And her husband. That is a horrible thing to go through.
Hope all is as well as can be. And I hope things are cooling down for you there. I think you mentioned rain......
Old 08-14-2017, 03:14 AM
  # 268 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

Originally Posted by sugarangel View Post
The pic of Brandon is so awesome. He is such a little cutie pie. Loved the pic of Danny, too.
Loved what you said in your last post and I second Tea's amen. I am sorry about your friend. And her husband. That is a horrible thing to go through.
Hope all is as well as can be. And I hope things are cooling down for you there. I think you mentioned rain......
Well you finally found your way back! LOL Good to see you posting again!

Yeah little Brandon is a mess! He'll hear the two boys here in the porch room crow or Danny inside the house. He'll start crowing in his bed that's in Jethro's bedroom. It doesn't take long for Jethro to get him up, deposit him here on the porch floor and then he goes back to bed! ROFL Brandon will come sashaying over to my chair sideways! I tell him he really thinks he's a big rooster with lots of Sass!

Rotating these chickens throughout the house is getting to be tricky! Can't put Molly on the couch when another is on the floor. She stands there whining her butt off at her annoyance! So I bring her to the porch room. I have to stay out here with her or she's not happy! Ugh! Danny wants to walk around too, so I have to put Brandon in his carrier. Danny usually ends up in the kitchen with one of us begging for the bowl of bologna to be put on the floor so he can pig out in it! It's usually Momma that gives in. He'll walk to the refrigerator with me, stands there looking in it while I get the bowl out. Once I set it on the floor he dives in. I let him eat until he gets his fill! I then pick him up. He looks like he's grown breasts! LOL Jethro just shakes his head when I sit him down in the living room. Our neighbors are going to think we are killing chickens over here! Every time I pick Danny up? He screams! LOL

We have strawberry inside in the porch room for awhile. She was limping one day, so I brought her inside to get some healing time. Ginger and Sherry are still hanging out together. Sherry would like nothing better than for her to go away though! LOL

TOD
Old 08-14-2017, 07:19 PM
  # 269 (permalink)  

Goll dang, TOD, reading your posts makes me want to move someplace where I can have a passle of cluckers! I miss 'em.
Old 08-15-2017, 12:07 AM
  # 270 (permalink)  

Oh man, TOD, your last post made me laugh so hard!! Every time I picture Brandon walking up to you sideways, it makes me giggle. I can so see that in my head!! And Sherry is a hoot when it comes to Ginger!! Poor Ginger. She just wants to be friends. Silly Sherry!!
So, I didn't know chickens liked bologna. For some reason, I thought chickens were herbivores. Goes to show me what you know!! lol
They eat worms, don't they?? Guess that's not vegetarian.

Okay, I'm going to go now before my I.Q drops anymore!!
Old 08-15-2017, 05:13 AM
  # 271 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

This will give you an idea as to how Brandon dances towards me! Except Brandon starts from across the room all the way over to me! LOL

TOD
Old 08-16-2017, 02:39 PM
  # 272 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

Hello everybody!

Here's what happened yesterday: I need more sleep or sleep period! I've been up since 6:00 PM yesterday! It's 7:30 PM the next day now! And I've been doing nothing but working for the chickens all day! Cleaning the small coop with the power washer, redoing everything in it, then moving the tractor pens around, cleaning out the stationary pens too. Then we put them outside and tackled the inside carriers! My butt just now sat down in my plush leather office chair for a few minutes and then we gotta get the kids back inside! There's 80% humidity, feels like 101! I've worn out several sweat towels! A shower is going to feel SOOOO good!

The kids are all back inside now! Shew! What a freaking workout! Jethro just made himself a bag of microwave popcorn! We had McDonald's a few hours ago, so neither one of us is really hungry! And as tired as I AM? I'm damned sure not cooking supper! Last night I made myself my corn on the cob with bacon dish. While that was cooking? I made Jethro a large salad! The Dressing he uses is NOT what I use. He asked me to taste it to see if it was still good? I laughed! I told him it would taste bad to me even if it was still good! LOL

Well we had another productive day! Had lots of laughter too! When Jethro brought Danny outside? He was screaming! The boy is SOOOO funny! And here he LOVES to be snuggled under a thick towel or blankie! It's a good thing he and Minnie are staying here!

I'm elated! I found someone to take one of the Ostrich boys. She will be here tomorrow to get him! He'll have his own group of hens, will be free ranging on 29 acres! Will have all sorts of fruits and veggies to snack on too! Just made my day! She's also from an old neighborhood I used to hangout in, in the country. I probably know her husband since he's a year older than I am!

I doubt I'll be out in the yard much today! Going to be another day like yesterday! Ugh! That heat and humidity just wears me out!

Today: Woke up at 5:35 AM after getting in bed before 10:00 PM! I cooked us breakfast this morning. Scrambled eggs, sausage and fried canned sliced potatoes with onions. Brandon was loose on the floor while we were eating. I tossed a small piece of egg on the floor for him. OMG! He started his rooster song about finding something good to eat. He kept picking it up and dropping it until he got right to my feet. I picked it up and told him thank you for bringing me something to eat! Then I tossed it back on the floor and the show started all over again until he got it to my feet. Jethro couldn't hardly eat for the laughter!

Then Sherry starts cackling from the chicken bedroom! Jethro and I both raise our finger in the air and we say at the same time: "We have an egg!" Brandon hears her and dashes off down the hallway to dance and prance at the separating gate in his rooster romancing way. Halfway down the hall he spreads his wings out to his sides and rushes the rest of the way. Sherry is his surrogate mother! She looked at him with the look: "Don't go there BOY!" Little Sassy Boy!

Okay! Gotta scoot!

TOD
Old 08-19-2017, 03:39 AM
  # 273 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

Hello everyone!

Thought I'd start this off with a little history about myself and why this Thread exists!

I'm a Recovering Addict with three years clean. My DOC is opiates! I've been on and off them since 1985! In the early 2000's I dove head first into a bottle of pain meds to deal with my husband! He became abusive mentally and physically! In 2005 I decided to go off the pain meds cold turkey! It took me a month to get back to some normalcy! I was going nowhere while being strung out on those pain meds! I had my little feathered friends, Silkies, back then too. I loved them dearly and spent all my energy taking care of them! My husband back then hated them. He was super jealous of them. He wasn't very nice to them either. They'd run every time they saw him coming!

After I got myself clean and back to where I needed to be mentally and physically? I left my husband and filed for a divorce. I had to fight him for it, but he finally signed the paperwork! I just wish I'd made the decision to leave him much earlier! So many years wasted in a bottle of pills to live with him!

I'm now married to the man I met when I was 15 years old and said I'd marry him when I was 18 years old. It only took me 32 years later to get him back. We've been together ever since we were introduced again. Just took me a few days to know who he was! Same with him! LOL

He loves our little feathered kids too! I even call him the chicken whisperer! When I was coming off the heavy dose of pain meds back in 2005? I'd stand in the living room window looking at my Silkies in the pen with them all looking back at me and I'd just cry like a little lost child. I truly had lost my way in life and reality from being strung out on those pain meds for so many years. I promised them while being in a dope less sick state Momma would get better and she'd be back to love on them again! My love for them and their needs is what kept me staying off the pain meds.

I got myself off the pain meds and back to living life again. After moving in with my long lost love and having two years clean I injured all my female parts and had to fight the VAH to get my surgery! Of course there I was again back on the pain meds for a year. That's how long I fought them to get my hysterectomy! After my surgery I got injections in my lower back. Back on the pain meds I went again. Then I C/T'ed off them only to be back on them again later on. So with all the off and on times I've been on the pain meds? I've always gotten off them. I hated the person I am while on them. They steal so much of my life and love I always C/T off them.

So this is why this Thread was started three years ago! It's about my life living with my feathered friends and how they keep me on the path to staying clean!

Now! There was a very nice woman that came out yesterday and got one of the Barred Rock boys to take home with her. I'm elated he got a good home! He's got a large area to run around in with 10 hens all to himself now. The hens are also super happy to have a handsome young Roo with them now too!

While she was here Jethro brought Tasha outside to potty! The woman said: "I wish I had a broody in my hens?" I suggested she bring me four eggs to hatch for her! She left and brought back four eggs. I put two under Tasha and two under Sherry! Well Sherry decided she wasn't ready to set yet. So Tasha is setting on all four eggs.

One of the eggs has been underneath a duck setting for a week though! So I discussed with Jethro bringing Bertha inside to set on it until it hatches and then she can raise it. Bertha has been setting on a fake egg for almost two months now. She'll be happy to have a baby to raise in a couple of weeks. I also put one of our eggs underneath Tasha to hatch too. It's a mixed breed egg. Can't wait to see what the baby looks like! I don't want the loner chick to be alone when we give the baby back to the woman. The loner egg is also going to be a large chick when it hatches. It's a Jersey Giant! It's going to be as big as Tasha in just a couple of weeks. So Bertha raising it is for the better!

So anyhow! What this all boils down to is? We will be Foster parents to some chicks in 21 days, helping the hens raise their babies. So exciting on our end of things! Then after the Momma's are done being Momma's to them? They all go home!

One of the Barred Rock hens we are Fostering for my sister laid her first egg today! The babies are all turning into young adults on us! I'm going to be telling my sister to get her coop ready for the two girls and Roo to be joining her lonely hen next weekend. It's time to move them to their permanent home!

In my crazy drugged out days in the past? It's a joy to get up each day to the new happenings with our feathered kids each day! And they bring us such laughter with their silly antics each day too! The sounds they make, the things they do, the chasing bugs behind Jethro on his riding lawnmower as he mows the yard is fun to watch! They also give us so much love back. We just love them!

TOD
Old 08-19-2017, 02:08 PM
  # 274 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing more of your story with us. And for all the stories you share about your feathered friends. I always look forward to them!!
Old 08-23-2017, 10:53 PM
  # 275 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

Hello everyone!

We are finally getting a little break from the heat! Loving it!

I let the two Barred Rock girls in with Kill'a today! Oh the excitement they had w/o a fence between them. Both girls are giving us eggs too! Payment for Fostering my sister's new chickens! LOL I want them gone before the new babies hatch, but if the weather is still HOT? They'll stay here until it cools. We are going to miss one of the girls badly. She's a real sweetheart! However that's the main reason why I'm raising them for my sister. I want her to have friendly chickens. Not wild ass crazy chickens like she's been getting in the past.

I let Danny and Minnie run loose in the yard as often as possible. Yesterday Danny came up to me wanting to go inside. I put him inside in his carrier and go back out to get Brandon out of his pen. Minnie was standing close by! When Brandon came bouncing out of his pen he stopped to look at Minnie and Minnie looked at him. Then he saw Momma! Here he comes dancing sideways towards me. Knuckle head! I snatch him up and point at Minnie telling him he had a girl interested in him. He just snuggled his head up against my neck. I take him inside, put him in his carrier. He immediately mounts his paper towels. Ugh! I look over at Jethro and say: "I think I'm going to take my BIL's advice and wrap paper towels around a hen's tail feathers to teach the boy what he's supposed to do?" Jethro just lost it!

We've had Miss Strawberry inside for a couple of weeks now. She's decided the best place to be is sitting in Jethro's lap or between his legs. She's also molting and she'll leave large piles of feathers for him to pick up! I think she's milking her leg limping at this point to get to stay inside? LOL But it's okay with us! She doesn't need to be messed with by a rooster with all those sore new feathers coming in!

Strawberry was laying underneath Jethro's laptop table earlier. Sherry came walking past her to go to the bedroom to go to bed! She saw Strawberry and did a dead stop, stretched her neck out and just stared at her. It looked like Sherry was saying: "Another one in the house?" ROFL I picked her up and snuggled her close while she sat in my hand. If I had my choice I'd turn them all into little Sherry's. But we love them all just like they are too!

Bertha has one egg that should be hatching around the 31st. Tasha's two eggs and Bertha's other egg should also hatch on the 7th of September. We're going to be even busier around here with the 4 new babies. We love it though! We'll have to babysit the early hatcher during the day and put it back underneath Bertha at night. They'll both be large chicks.

I was watching Danny today outside and I think he has an eyesight problem? This could be why he's the way he is? But he's got a good home to live at if that's the case. He's pampered and well looked after. He's also a great alarm system. If he hears anything out of the ordinary? He'll scream! And I literally mean scream! LOL

We had a great day on Eclipse Day! Here's what I shared with friends:

Just got home! I had a dentist appointment at 11:00 this morning! Nothing biggie!

Jethro went outside to get the car while I stood in line to get my travel pay! (I get paid for mileage on my VAH visits!) When I walked out the door outside there was a woman sharing her glasses with a couple of PPL. She handed them to me and I took a look! It was SOOOO cool looking. It had just started!

We left there and headed over to the ID place on base to get Jethro his new ID card! The guy making the ID card was talking about the Eclipse, but didn't have any glasses! Jethro pointed at a rolled up developed film and said: "You can use that right there to look thru it!" The guy looked at him like he'd lost his mind. Jethro got up, got the film and found several places he cut out of it to staple together. They walked outside and he looked up at the sun thru it. The soldier took the piece of film and looked thru it too. It was so funny watching the excitement on the soldiers face! He went inside and started calling PPL to come over to look thru the film. Then he went and got their boss to come out too! Low and behold it was a guy I worked with/under at the OCS office 6/7 years ago! Jethro also had met him back then and we stood talking for awhile. He even asked me if I still had the Silkie chickens? I was amazed he remembered they were Silkies! LOL He was a Captain back then and he's now a Major! He was delighted I was there and he was glad to talk with me again!

We left Base and I called Mom to meet us for lunch! While driving Jethro asked me if I had a compact in my purse? That's like NEVER, but I had put one in my purse this morning in case the dentist took half my makeup off - AGAIN! LOL He told me to hold it where the sun would hit it and reflect back on the roof of my car. WOW! I got to watch the Eclipse for quite awhile doing that!

When we got to the restaurant there was a cook outside with his glasses. Mom brought my Dad's welding helmet and I used that to look up! Then the guy offered the glasses to us to use. So we had the chance to look thru those too! While out driving we saw loads of PPL outside and on rooftops with their glasses. In seven years it's going to happen again! We were able to see around 80% of it today!

I have stinky carriers to clean now! I refuse to let them outside in this heatwave! It was 'feel like' temps of 112 yesterday! Yuck! We are supposed to have a cooling down Wednesday thru the weekend! Bring it on! I'm SOOOOO ready for cooler weather!.....................

And here we are today with cooler weather! And it's supposed to cool down even more. I'll take it here at the end of August! We are usually roasting this time of year!

TOD
Old 08-27-2017, 01:18 AM
  # 276 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

Hello everyone!

I wanted to share this Brandon story before I forgot about it happening! Jethro left early today to spend time with his mother at the hospital. She fell and broke her hip.

He had put Brandon in the porch room. When I got up at noon I heard him out here crowing when I started the coffee pot to brewing. I opened the door to find him standing on the step. I picked him up and sat him inside to run around while I got dressed.

I got my cup of coffee and went to the porch room! Sometime later on I went in the house to go to the bathroom. I went thru the kitchen, laundry room and entered the hallway. Just as I reached the wall running down the length of the hallway? BAM! Brandon attacks my shoes! I had forgotten he was loose in the house. I screamed bloody murder! My screaming sent him flying four feet into the air! I screamed again seeing this THING flying in front of me! I finally realize what's happening and snatch him up. I tell him he's going to give Momma a heart attack one of these days with his sneaky attacks on my shoes! Especially in dark hallways! I turn the chicken bedroom light on and set him at the door to visit the girls in there while I head to the bathroom. It's a good thing I didn't have a full bladder when I headed to the bathroom, because there WOULD have been an accident! LOL

My sister is coming today to get the little Roo, Kill'a and the two hens to take home. Lavern and Shirley! I'll miss Lavern, but the other two are mental! They need valium! I'm glad they are leaving! We'll have our first baby hatching this coming Thursday! We have been killing ourselves keeping everyone fed, cleaned, putting them outside then bringing them inside! Shew! One Momma with babies is much easier to care for! Well two Momma's when Tasha's eggs hatches on the 7th.

TOD
Old 08-28-2017, 09:51 PM
  # 277 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

Hello everyone!

For those that don't know? Jethro's mother and myself speak very little! I wasn't being a B by not going to the hospital. She's wanted me out of her son's life since the day we got together! Eleven years ago to be exact! Just wanted to put that out there for those that didn't know the past history!

This evening! Brandon was on the couch behind Jethro and Molly was on the floor. When Jethro got up to go do whatever? I covered Brandon with the thin throw blanket that was on the couch to keep him from jumping down on the floor with Molly. The fight would have been on!

When Jethro came back to sit down we started talking. When Brandon heard me talking he started trying to get out from underneath the blanket. When he finally made his way out I pointed at him. Jethro leaned his arm back and slowly rubbed his hand across Brandon's comb and face. The boy froze in place! He was mesmerized by Jethro's hand gently rubbing his face!

I then noticed the blanket was tightly wound around his tail. It looked like an Aunt Jamima head wrapping! Jethro started laughing so hard he couldn't catch his breath. I was folding towels and had to stop due to laughing at Jethro's laughter! Then of course I mentioned my BIL saying we needed to wrap his tail in paper towels, but instead he had a better wrap job done by himself! This just sent Jethro laughing harder.

I swear the antics of this little Rooster is going to get the better of us. He keeps us laughing with his hysterical ways and the goofy sounds that he makes. And of course the dancing sideways he does. Even on the couch!

Sadly! I candled the Momma's eggs this evening. There's only one out of four that has a chick in it! That's La Nora and Buffalo's egg. The lady that gave us the eggs is going to check the eggs underneath two hens she has setting to see if any are with chicks. If there is she's going to give us three eggs. Two for Tasha and one for Strawberry! Yes Strawberry. It's not Bertha setting! I figured that out when I had them outside together the other day. You can really only tell them apart by their combs. One's larger than the other.

My sister picked up her three Barred Rock chickens yesterday. When she got them home the one little hen she has left had them backed into a corner in fear. She had her neck feathers flared out, wings thrown out and was growling at them. LOL Trying to bluff them as she's the boss around there. Chickens are so funny! That's why there's that thing called: "Pecking order!"

TOD
Old 08-30-2017, 10:44 AM
  # 278 (permalink)  

So that's where the term pecking order came from!! Oh, that's too funny!!

Ah, my sweet, little Brandon. If I were rich , I'd buy you a paper towel factory, my friend!! We could name it "Fowl Play"!! heh heh heh.
Well, that was cheesy.
Old 09-03-2017, 03:57 AM
  # 279 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

Hello everyone!

OMG Sugarangel! You had me laughing at that paper towel factory! Brandon would be in pure Heaven with all those paper towels to do his ummmm business on.

Brandon was on the couch this evening just dancing away across the couch behind Jethro. Or maybe I should say he does the Electric slide with the way he dances? LOL Jethro will catch him directly behind his head and will reach out on both sides of his head to pull him in close to hold him while he scratches and pets him. Brandon snuggles in close to his daddy! When Jethro turns him loose he goes back to dancing and making goofy noises. He has us laughing ALL the time!

We went to the Feed Store yesterday to get chicken feed. Walked in the door and didn't hear any peeping! Thank goodness! We saw the manager and mentioned we didn't hear peeping? She said: "Oh they're here. They're just being quite!" Damn! Jethro says come on lets go take a look. I'm vehemently shaking my head noooooooooooo! I drag myself behind them. We reach the enclosure and there they are! Ugh!

Jethro says: "Ginger needs a buddy!" I say: "Do WHAT?" The manager unlocks the gate and in they go. So of course I HAD to go too. I put my hand into the tub with around 20 chicks in it. They were little Ginger's running around. I move my hand around the tub slowly. One comes up to my hand and snuggles. I pick it up and hand it to Jethro. I put my hand back in the tub and all take off running but one. It came rushing my hand with it's neck stretched out, pecking at my hand and dancing back and forth. I laughed and said: "I bet you're a little Rooster?"

I raise up from bending over and Jethro hands me his baby. I'm standing there in the enclosure holding it while others are stopping to look too. I asked Jethro if this was the one he wanted? He gives me a stern look and shakes his head no. So after awhile I put her back in the tub. After a few minutes I ask him again if he's sure? He says: "Well which one did you have?" I put my hand back in the tub and she comes back to snuggle again. I pick her back up and out the enclosure we go. See I had a plan that he wasn't aware of!

Sep 5th is the day little Maria passed away a year ago. I wanted the baby for him so she'd help ease his heartache I know that's coming. It's hard to imagine it's already been a year since her passing.

We get her home and Jethro wants to know what her name is going to be. So after hours of thinking? I decided to name her Airam! Spell it backwards and you'll understand why? The first night here he stuck her underneath Tasha when they went to bed. She fussed a little bit and then started clucking to her. Tasha just started setting on two new eggs. If they aren't fertile we'll toss them and let her raise Airam! We keep Airam occupied during the day so she doesn't bother Tasha setting. When Jethro's holding her I have to whisper so she doesn't hear me. She gets all excited when she hears me talking. She knows momma takes her outside, feeds her and puts her in a warm pants pocket. LOL She does the same thing when she's underneath Tasha! She'll pop out from underneath her and try jumping up and down to get out of the box.

Meet little Airam!

Since Jethro and his mother have been speaking since she fell? We've found out some family business going on involving property! What a mess! Jethro has been stressing for months we needed to get a Will made. After hearing the story about the family property? I made an appointment to get one made. Even though my name is on this property? It's family inherited from a different part of the family and his daughter has said too many times it would be hers one day. Well we've seen to that not happening! If Jethro dies before I do? Her and Jethro's mother will see to having me removed. I've sunk LOTS of money into this place myself and I'm not going to have it taken away from me. If we die together? It's all to be sold and the money split between my daughter and his daughter. I can't tell you what a relief it is to have the Will done and no longer have to worry about this anymore.

TOD
Old 09-04-2017, 01:10 AM
  # 280 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

Hello everyone!

Update on the eggs!

When I took Strawberry out to potty this afternoon I smelled a nasty smell. I asked Jethro to check her box for poop. He checked and there wasn't any. He picked up the eggs and one smelled BAD! He candled it and didn't see anything but black. I checked them both when I came back in and the Jersey Giant egg was rotten. He quickly put it in a plastic bag and headed outside to the trashcan. Before he got to it the egg busted!

The other egg is questionable? It's a large oval egg. The bottom part in the middle of the egg has a large C shape across it that's clear. The rest is dark. It smells, but I'm thinking it's because it was beside the other egg. Will check it again tomorrow!

I checked Tasha's two eggs out of curiosity. There's nothing but a yolk in them. It's only been a few days though that she's been on them. If they are fertile? I'm going to give them to Strawberry. Tasha's really taken to Airam!

Looks like no babies will be hatching! Dang it!

Everyone stay clean and have a safe Labor Day!

TOD