Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Drug Addiction > Substance Abuse
Reload this Page >

Welcome to TOD's clean time! (was ' TOD One Year Clean!')

Notices

Welcome to TOD's clean time! (was ' TOD One Year Clean!')

Old 05-27-2017, 10:01 AM
  # 221 (permalink)  

Old 05-27-2017, 04:58 PM
  # 222 (permalink)  

Ahhh...sugar...that's awesome!!

Pedestrian to chicken: "Why did you cross the road?"

Chicken: "Because I wanted to get the other side and that was my GOAL for the day. But you see- I knew if I crossed the road people would be questioning my motives...so I started to question myself too and then I was filled with doubts and "what ifs"... but then I heard the voice of an angel saying, 'DO IT ANYWAY'! So, I did it anyway and I don't care what people think!!! I wanted to cross that damn road and so I did and now it's a done deal. Don't know what I'll do tomorrow. Maybe I'll cross it again. But for now, that's what I did and if people don't like it they can kiss my fricken' beak."
Old 05-27-2017, 05:02 PM
  # 223 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tiredofdrugs View Post
It is fascinating how a setting hen will hatch anything in an egg! But that would also include golf balls, fake ceramic eggs, small bowls, light bulbs, etc. They have a one track mind! LOL They become very protective of their babies, no matter what it is!

When I lived on the Dairy Farm in WI? I had my Appaloosa mare bred to an Arabian Stallion. She gave birth on a moon lit night. Several days later the colt went under the hotwire. That mare was freaking out. She wouldn't go near that wire though. I yelled for the Farmer to turn the hotwire off. He laughed and said: "It's been off since she gave birth!" Well damn! Animals are smart and know when there's danger!

My dad raised guineas! One day when I was a little girl I saw two males fighting. No matter how much I yelled at them? They wouldn't stop. So I picked a small rock up and threw it at them. Well be damned if I didn't hit one in the head. It fell over, laying there still. Oh snit! I just squatted down, wrapped my arms around my legs and placed my chin on my knees and rocked back and forth. I just knew my dad was going to skin me alive for killing his guinea! Well before too long? That guinea got up and stumbled off. Shew!

Around 8 yrs old I went out to the pump house to turn on the water faucet. I was barefoot and stood in the puddle from the dripping water. I grabbed the faucet to turn it on and started screaming. It was shocking the crap out of me. I couldn't turn loose of it! Dad heard me screaming and came running. He grabbed me off the faucet and quickly turned it off! He made sure I was okay and then immediately checked the ground wire on the system. Mice had chewed thru the wires. He quickly replaced it and I was never shocked again. Thank goodness dad was an electrician!

TOD
Yes, talk about MINDSET. Good lesson with setting hens. When they are of a mind to 'set' nothing will sway them!!

Thanks for sharing some of your farm life adventures. Good God hardly ever a dull moment.
Old 05-27-2017, 09:56 PM
  # 224 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

Here's the picture I was going to post yesterday from the teachings on how to post pictures yesterday!

Ginger and her momma Sherry!

TOD
Old 05-29-2017, 06:42 PM
  # 225 (permalink)  

Loved the pic!! Ginger and Sherry are a couple of hot chicks!! lol. They are just so cute!!
Thanks again for the tutorials. I have been driving everyone crazy now posting pics of everything. Like seriously, everything!!
Old 06-02-2017, 10:39 PM
  # 226 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

Hello Everyone!

I've been busy cleaning pens outside! We added two more 3 month old Barred Rock hens to the batch that's going to my sister's somewhere down the road. They spend their days outside in a pen and inside at night in a carrier! They're actually sweet little girls to not having been handled too much before arriving here! One of them was really thin when she arrived. But with what she's been eating here? She's filling out fast!

I put Brandon on the floor a few minutes ago from his carrier! That BOY! He sashayed around my feet for a little bit. I reached down quickly to pick him up and he scooted quickly sideways away from me. That boy is quick! I was telling my sister and her husband how he brings the thunder in his carrier by screwing the bottom of the paper towel covered bottom. They got a big belly laugh out of that. Then he told me to put him outside so he could be with the hens. I told him he wouldn't do anything! Then he said: "Put a paper towel around those hens tail feathers!" OMG! We laughed so hard for so long!

Little Danny and Minnie's Momma is completely done with them now! She's back to sleeping in her bed on daddy's bed! Sherry was sleeping in it, so I made her a bed on the night stand beside Jethro. The two BR Ostriches are still in their clothes basket and of course Brandon has his clothes basket on the other night stand! Ginger is still sleeping in her blanket up against his chest. Shew! I'm glad it's him and not me! LOL

A few days ago Jethro was complaining about the new crew not giving us eggs! I told him to look in the Yucca plant! Sure enough! He yells out: "Pay day!" There were four eggs in the middle of the plant! LOL Then while removing poop from the straw inside their little coop he finds an egg buried. Then he checks the pit and finds La Nora also laid an egg. Then in one of the egg boxes in the house he finds a Sherry egg! He was grinning from ear to ear!

Here's a picture for ya of the new flock in the dog pen! I had sat down in a chair I brought out to rest for a bit after working around their area. They all gathered together to see why this human was sitting in their area! LOL

We had raked and cleaned all around this Yucca plant. So the two hens decided to use the center of it to set and lay their eggs in it!

Everyone have a clean day!

TOD
Old 06-05-2017, 04:26 PM
  # 227 (permalink)  

Oh my gosh!! Your Brandon story practically had me in tears, I was laughing so hard!! Not sure I will ever look at paper towels the same way again!!
Loved the egg story you told, too. You and Jethro basically had an Easter egg hunt in June!! That actually sounds like fun to me. Pretty cool.
Loved the pics. Man, girl, you have a lot of chickies now!! I would be having so much fun. Must be a lot of work though.
Glad to hear the new ones are doing well and putting on weight. I imagine they love their new home. I know if I were a chicken I would want to live with you!!
Hope all is well, and you are doing good. Jethro and the babies, too. Can't wait for your next installment of All My Chickens!! lol
Old 06-06-2017, 01:38 AM
  # 228 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

Hello everyone!

All My Chickens HUH? That's too funny! But it's so true! They rule our lives around here! And I almost got another hen this evening! My neighbor has a lonely hen. She asked if I'd take her? Well of course we said: "Yes!" You know I'm researching my brain at this point for reasons I need another chicken? Ugh! But thankfully? Her youngest son overheard her talking about us coming to get her and he went berserk. So we're doing a complete turn about! I'm giving her one of the Ostrich boys to be a buddy with her hen! She wants Danny, but he's going to my sisters! No can do!

Every time I walk past his carrier he jumps down off his perch and runs to the gate just a chirping at me. I took him out a few times to hold him and love him. He's such a snuggly little boy! He'd like nothing better than to just hangout with me. But Minnie eventually starts whining and crying so I put him back in the carrier with her. She's one that doesn't really like to be picked up. All 6 came from the same cage of parent's. But only Danny is the really sweet one. And wants to be held!

Lord yes it's a lot of work with all these chickens here. I just spent the last hour cleaning their areas and redoing them for tomorrow. I had baby wipes, news papers and of course paper towels spread all over the place. When I'm done it's such a nice sight to see all the clean areas. Tomorrow it's going to be sunny! YAY! They've been cooped up in the house since Friday! It's been pouring buckets of rain.

Brandon is a clown! Jethro brought him to his night time bed while I was standing there getting the Ostriches settled in their bed for the night. Jethro put Brandon in his bed and covered him up. I reached over to pet him on top of the covers to tell him goodnight and Wham! He starts screwing the paper towels. Sigh! Goofy ass rooster! He also growls like a cougar whenever he hears me cough! The boy is obsessed with his human Momma! It's just not right, I tell ya! JMH

Then I put Sherry to bed and chased Ginger down to put her in bed with her daddy. Tasha was already in her bed! While holding Ginger and talking to her? She'll lean way back to look at me and then goes into fits to be put down. ARGH! All the others want to be held and loved by their momma, but not her! I keep telling her she's going to find her way outside to sleep in the pit if she keeps it up!

You know I'm over worked and talk about our chickens all the time. But thanks to them? I keep moving and I stay busy. They are the reason I stay clean and off the pain meds. Well a big part of it anyway! They depend on me to take care of them. Sure Jethro does a lot for them too, but if I was strung out on pain meds? I wouldn't be able to do what I do!

So whatever it is that keeps you clean and keeps you going? Feel blessed you have it! There are too many that can't find that one thing to keep them clean! It's a terrible thing to think about!

TOD
Old 06-06-2017, 10:11 PM
  # 229 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

I saw this on the news tonight!

Opioid Crisis Batters Georgia as Suspicious Percocet Kills Two - NBC News

TOD
Old 06-07-2017, 01:57 AM
  # 230 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

A homeless man got clean!

TOD
Old 06-11-2017, 03:15 PM
  # 231 (permalink)  

I saw that news story about the fake pills on HLN the other day. Man, that was scary. They looked just like the real thing. I would have bought them, thinking they were real. That is just frightening.
I loved the video you posted. What an inspiration!! That guy is awesome. And, it goes to what you were saying about finding something that makes you happy and want to stay clean. Something to live for other than drugs. And he's doing so good!! He sure found his bliss!!
Thanks for sharing that video. It gave me hope.
Old 06-13-2017, 12:13 AM
  # 232 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

Hello everyone!

We've had a case of Coccidiosis hit us, well the chickens. It's deadly if it's not treated. One of the Ostriches got it first! Then two days later little Tasha got it. She's having a really rough time of it. Lots of bloody poops! Then on top of this she got sour crop! Damn! So I sent Jethro to the store to get her some yogurt! Today she acted a little more like herself. The little Ostrich is past his problem too. I've had them all on Corrid medication. When they come off it there's a two week waiting period and then they go back on it for three days. After that they get Nutri-drench for awhile to build their B vitamins back up! Chickens can get so many diseases it's freaking scary!

Wild birds are the worst about bringing in diseases and we are overrun in them around here. Plus we can pick stuff up on our shoes and vehicle tires from going to get feed. Others carrying diseases from their farms and homes deliver it on their tires and shoes going to the same feed stores!

There's nothing like getting the kids up out of their beds and seeing blood all over the paper towels. Thankfully I had already bought some Corrid several months ago to have on hand. So I immediately changed everyone's water over to the medicated water.

Little Tasha several days ago would go into her egg laying carrier and then shortly pop right back out. She'd cry and whine and then go back into it. I went looking for some fake eggs and couldn't find any to put into the carrier for her. So I put two golf balls in it and that made her happy. She went into the carrier and settled on top of them. Thirty minutes later she popped out covered in straw cackling to the world she had laid an egg! She's such a goof! But Sherry is the same way about needing eggs in the box to sit on so she can lay her eggs too.

I've been on Jethro's ass to build an outside pen and house for the 3 cats in the house! I've told him I'm NOT going to let up on this! On the way home from my dentist office I asked him to go by the burn pile where he gets lumber from to see if there's any old privacy fencing he can get to make them a house out of it? We get back there and he sees a ton of stuff that's new to the pile that he wants. He delivers me home, we get all the kids outside, their carriers cleaned and remade then he gets the truck and goes back to the burn pile!

As for my dentist visit? I'm getting a lower plate made to fit evenly with the upper plate I have now. I had to bite down on some gel stuff for the impressions. He said I'm keeping the upper partial plate as my permanent plate since it's fitting and the teeth look good when I smile. I'm good with that. Other than the spot that has to be surgically removed next month? It's a good fit and looks good.

Jethro pissed me off good this afternoon after getting home from visiting a friend and picking up another Ham radio antenna. I had asked him to put Sherry and Ginger outside for a little while. They were in the chicken bedroom all day while he was gone. He said ok! Well thirty minutes later I reminded him while I was working on cleaning the carriers. It was like he didn't remember me saying anything about it. I repeated what I said thirty minutes earlier and he told me to quit mumbling. Jesus! I didn't have my dentures in and it really upset me. I don't talk really good w/o them. So he got the cold shoulder the rest of the night. He was so sweet yesterday and a total ass today! So I figured he had taken a pain pill. There was more proof to it as he tried to be all helpful and nice afterwards. I've asked him several weeks ago to let me know when he's taken one so I know to avoid him. I hate dealing with his anger! Tomorrow he'll be all nice and will act like nothing happened. But it did and it just continues to pile up the hurt in myself. I so wish he'd stop taking them.

TOD
Old 06-13-2017, 12:29 AM
  # 233 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

Sherry and Ginger!

Little Danny!

TOD
Old 06-13-2017, 02:28 PM
  # 234 (permalink)  

Thanks for the pics. They are awesome!! I laughed hard about Tasha and the golf balls.The way you described it I totally pictured it in my head. Tasha and Brandon have such cute personalities. They all do, actually!!
Glad to hear things are better with your teeth. And I am sorry Jethro was being a butt to you yesterday. It would be hard for anyone trying to stay off pills to have a live in loved one who takes them. You are really strong to say no every day. Which is essentially what you are doing. I would have torn the house apart trying to find those pills. Mad respect for you being able to do what you are doing.
Anyways, I am off to walk the dog. I don't want to. I don't want to leave the damn house. But, she has to go potty, so I need to suck it up, get dressed and go out in the rain. Yep, it's raining here. Like usual.
I am so happy to hear the kids are feeling better and that they will be okay!!
Have a lovely day!!
Old 06-14-2017, 04:11 AM
  # 235 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

Hello everyone!

Well Brandon now has the dreaded disease. His bed towels were full of blood when Jethro got him up yesterday. I'm going to have to keep everyone on the meds until it runs it's coarse! Ugh!

Well like I suspected yesterday? Jethro was a Peach today. He had all the carriers cleaned and remade when I got up. He also had all the trash cans emptied as well as the recycling stuff taken outside. When he finally came inside I was in the middle of making their goodie bowls and their medicated water. He didn't say much and I didn't either. I just wasn't in the mood for conversation from him. But hours later our conversation started warming up a little more. This yoyo train we are in just isn't where I want to be.

I wish he'd just tell me he's taken a pill so I can disappear for the evening. But oh no! He has to floor me with a nasty comment or remark somewhere along the way for me to find out! Ugh!

We had to take the trash/recycling to the end of the road. We didn't do this until 1:00 am though! So after I took my can down I went inside and grabbed Mr Brandon up to go outside for a little while. He pranced around my feet and even sent the dog moving out of his way since he was sitting close to me. I walked off a ways and here he come bouncing across the yard after me and the dog. He was talking to whoever would listen to him the whole time. LOL After about 30 minutes he was looking upwards for a place to roost. Oh no young man! Time to go inside! I walk towards the porch and here he comes bouncing after us. Talking up a storm. There's a dark area right before the steps and he didn't want to walk in the dark. He stood on the ground growling and whining. I reached in the back door and turned the porch light on for him. Well? That worked! I could hear him jumping up onto the steps one step after another. The whole time telling me I left him on the ground in the dark! LOL I kept telling him to 'Come on'! He finally made it to the back door and jumped up the step and then into the house. I walked in behind him and shut the door while also flipping the light off. I walk into the kitchen and he follows talking to me. Then he stops because he's seen his reflection in a piece of glass. He squares off at his reflection and I snatch him up telling him he's picking a fight with himself. Silly boy! I take him to his bed and get him covered. I put my hand on him to get him to settle down and he promptly screws the paper towels covering the ice pack. Then he does a little whimpering noise and settles down for the night!

Earlier when Jethro was carrying Tasha inside with Brandon following? Jethro opened the porch room door and kept trying to coax him inside. He wouldn't budge. I walked to the door and said: "Would you come on?" Oh hell! He got all excited when he saw Momma and heard me talking! He bounced up those steps like it was nothing and ran inside. LOL Jethro stood there looking at him and said: "I thought you were my boy? I guess not!" I just started laughing, picked Brandon up and deposited him in his carrier!

TOD
Old 06-15-2017, 03:43 AM
  # 236 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

Hello everyone!

Everybody and their brother seems to be calling Jethro these days wanting him to help them do something! Ugh! Things that need to be done around here are falling further and further on the back burner. I mean I understand him wanting to help others, but things need to be done here too! Plus with the heat factor way up there and the humidity levels are making it hard to breathe? He doesn't fair well in it!

The summers around here were one of the reasons I decided to have the shop built for him. He can work in there now with the A/C going and the ceiling fans blowing in comfort! The winters aren't nice either, but at least he can function in the cold. Anyhow!

Brandon didn't have any bloody poops in his bed. YAY! Little Tasha is still moving slowly and doing her pathetic whining like she does so well. She also doesn't like any other chicken around her. So of course we are doing our best to keep everyone separated. Little Wookie aka Sherry! She likes to roost on the back of the couch where Tasha sits behind her daddy. He sits on the floor due to his back problem. Ginger of course wants to be with her Momma. So it's a shuffle to get them on the back of the couch and keep Tasha from trying to attack them as they climb up, fly up there. Ugh!

Sherry and Maria!

Here's most of what it looks like around here twice a day. Morning and afternoon! Buffalo's plate of food and two others aren't in the picture!

Little Danny and Minnie are fed their goodies separately. He scarfs everything up quickly and Minnie snatches bites here and there. So I started feeding them separately! I had him in the porch room with me this afternoon while I fed him his goodies. I was sitting here at my computer typing when I heard him fly up onto the arm of my chair. He stuck his head under my arm and looked at the computer as if to say: "What's you doing Mom?" LOL He's such a goof! But he loves his cuddles so I stopped typing and picked him up! It amazes me how far he can stretch his neck out on my chest! He goes limp in my arm, closes his eyes and makes little chirping noises in contentment while I hold him and pet him.

Time to let Buffalo's bunch out and feed them!

TOD
Old 06-16-2017, 02:34 AM
  # 237 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

Hello everyone!

A big hello to you tbeit!

Well here's a picture of Mr Brandon! He wouldn't stop dancing around my feet and always ended up facing away from me! Ugh! I kept trying to get him to turn around, but he'd just dance some more and end up facing away from me again leaning to the side. I gave up and took this picture!

Lordy! Lordy! It's getting really hot around here! I was ready to scalp Jethro when I got up and saw all the kids outside w/o any fans on their pens. He had taken them to the barn before it rained. Then he put the kids out after it stopped raining, but didn't put the fans back on them. I swear that man gives me brain farts all the time! I just don't understand his way of thinking! And he's so friggin smart, but does some of the dumbest things! I also can't figure out why he takes them inside when some of them have been attached to those pens for years? They've weathered rain, snow, sleet and 100 degree weather.

Today I couldn't get him to answer his cellphone! He was in the shop! So I march out there to see if he's laying on the floor passed out? Nope! He's fine, sweaty and working. He see's me and I ask where's his damned cellphone? He looks around a little bit and shrugs. ARGH! I turn to walk off and he yell's: "I love you too!" Putz! He comes into the house and asks what needs to be done? Well let's see? We do the same routine where the chickens are concerned every damned day! Figure it out! Then he gets nasty with me. I then say: "OH? It's going to be one of those days!" He immediately clears his nasty look at me off his face and starts helping me get things ready for the kids to come inside. Can't y'all see me slapping my head and mumbling to myself?

He's taken these pain meds for so many years he's losing his smartness! He's also unaware they no longer work for him they only make his pain worse! He just drags around in slow motion when he's taken one. But he won't listen to a damned thing I say about it, because as he says: "I'm a know it all since I was addicted to them!" You think? Geeeeezzzz I'd say that makes me pretty much in the know as far as what they do to a person!

We get into some pretty heated arguments at times over simple stuff that shouldn't be a problem for him to understand. But due to him taking the pain meds? It just goes over his head and he tries to make a big deal out of something so small! I finally just tell him to go away!

Two days ago while bringing in the kids. He went to a pen where the two Barred Rock girls were in half of it. Danny and Minnie were in the other half. I reminded him Danny and Minnie eat separately! So he brought Minnie inside first. I walked by her carrier and thought? "Wow! Her tail feathers really grew overnight?" (That should have been a clue but I was in a rush)! I walked outside and he told me to get Danny. He opened the gate and 'Danny' wouldn't come out or come to me. Hmmmmmm I walked in and grabbed him! I figured he was pouting because I saw Minnie inside eating before him. So I took him to the swing for some cuddles. Jethro takes the other two BR hens inside and puts them in their carrier! A few minutes later I walk inside and put Danny in his carrier.

But wait a minute? I hadn't been holding Danny! Danny was in the 2 BR girls carrier. Oh hell! I look in Minnie/Danny's carrier and there's a BR girl in there pecking Minnie's head. Damn! I snatch her out and put her in the right carrier and grab Danny to go in his right carrier with Minnie! What the hell? This has never happened before!

So I tell Jethro what he did and he proceeded to argue with me! He did everything right and I was full of caca! Oh hell no! I told him again where he had put Danny! He again told me I was full of caca! I dropped it! Just another case of him taking the pain pills.

Well everyone have a clean day! I have to dice tomatoes for the crew!

TOD
Old 06-16-2017, 02:15 PM
  # 238 (permalink)  

Hey!! Thanks for the latest updates!! I am so glad the babies are doing better. I was worried about them. It's awful when your animal babies get sick.
Loved the pics. My gosh you have a lot to do, caring for all them chickens!! And btw, I was wondering what chickens eat. Besides like corn, I mean. I know I sound dumb, but I am curious. I could google it, but it's more fun asking you!!
Hope things are going better with you and Jethro. Like I said before.....You are a strong person to have pills floating around your house and not taking them. And I would bet that even if he doesn't ever say it, Jethro is proud of you for that. And respects it. I know I do!!
Ruffle the kids' feathers for me and tell them Sugar says hey!!
Have a peachy day!!
Old 06-18-2017, 07:26 AM
  # 239 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

Happy Father's Day to all the dads out there!

TOD
Old 06-22-2017, 01:07 AM
  # 240 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

Hello everyone!

Here's a recent picture of Minnie and Tasha!

Some of our yard the chickens roam around on!