Notices

help a new guy

Old 11-23-2015, 09:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

help a new guy

Hello all, I am new here. I just got home from jail today after recieving my third oui. I have struggled with mental health issues my whole life and I have only made things worse with alcohol. I have had enough of my own nonscense and want to take control of my life. Its going to be very hard for me. I am looking for any advice, help or comfort chatting with others. Please help
Old 11-23-2015, 10:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi there got to stop now. Alcohol never helps any situation. I suffer from depression and one of the reasons is excessive alcohol and drugs. It is tough to quit but so very very worth it. Start by reading, posting, and also following peoples success stories. The war stories are good at the beginning because for me, I felt not so alone. However, you need to balance it out with peoples successes and happiness that is achieved through living a sober life. I am currently on day 30 alcohol free and my depression is much better. Good luck to you
Old 11-24-2015, 01:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Many folks with mental illness tend to self medicate with drugs/alcohol that help them sort of escape reality.... Even if it's temporary... They can be living in torment much of the time... sometimes they would rather self medicate than take prescribed meds...
Old 11-24-2015, 05:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Nice to meet you GTSN
Old 11-24-2015, 09:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome Got2stopnow!
I know that once I quit drugs, not only was I better equipped to handle my problems, but my depression and anxiety actually weren't as severe as when I was using.
Sober Recovery is a great place to find compassion, advice and support.
Old 11-24-2015, 10:02 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi, your head's full of noise right now-it's 100mph.......it happens to me.

get yourself away from that noise-take a few days out and work on you.
Old 11-24-2015, 02:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Night owl

Welcome to SR got2. You'll find a lot of support here. Many of us with addictions also have mental health issues. I suffer from depression, PTSD and other issues and have my whole life. I found different substances at different times to help me try to self-medicate. My latest struggle has been with opiate addiction.

You'll find lots of us here with similar stories. And I think Startingover's advice to read the successes, too, is sound.

Keep posting and reading.
Old 11-24-2015, 05:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hey there,
Take things one day at a time and try to break things down into little goals rather then looking at the big picture. As far as my mental illness goes, I've been in recovery for 5 years but I still return to therapy every once in a while, it may alway be something I have to manage. It has not been an uphill battle, lots of setbacks and ups and downs but my tool box is ever expanding with new tools to use. I belive that my mental illness and substance abuse goes hand in hand so treating that comes first and foremost for my sobriety.

Take some time to read people's stories, decide on which approach you would like to try and do not feel like a failure if you do not succeed right away. There are many ways to get sober and you can utilize as much or as little as you like. There are always people here to support you so keep posting and best wishes!
Old 11-25-2015, 03:58 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

Wishing you a good clean sober day G2SN
Old 11-25-2015, 04:22 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

even though I don't believe in luck

Originally Posted by got2stopnow View Post

Hello all, I am new here. I just got home from jail today after recieving my third oui.
Well, you remind me of me in my past with my many DUI's. Did jail time a couple of times. Drunk driving school -- lost count of the times there over the years.

At this point in time I would think that you have a court slip to be signed in AA meetings ? It's up to you but, I would be hitting a lot of meetings.

Would be glad to talk with you anytime -- just send a PM.

Stay close to the site here -- for it has helped many
to get sober and stay sober.

That's what we do -- we don't drink today.

Good luck -- even though I don't believe in luck.
M-Bob