Notices

Vivitrol

Old 09-10-2015, 06:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
RacLon

Vivitrol

My husband of 5 years got addicted to opiates and eventually graduated to IV heroin a couple months ago. He voluntarily went into inpatient detox 8 days ago and is now being discharged tomorrow. He will begin an IOP program on Tuesday and already has a busy schedule with his work and school. So I'm hoping he will continue on this path of recovery.

My question...they are going to start him on Vivitrol injections next week as well. I'm a nurse and have the general idea of it, but this is not my area of expertise. Anyone with any experience with Vivitrol?
Old 09-11-2015, 01:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

I havnt Rlong but sending my best wishes for his recovery
Old 09-11-2015, 05:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have posted this article before. It is a few years old, but I feel it is an objective review. In the end for me it comes down to how bad I want to stay sober and how hard I am willing to work at it on a daily basis. If there is a strong desire Vivitrol can be another tool in recovery. If not it might end up being one shot and done.

Vivitrol: A Shot in the Dark | The Fix - Page 0
Old 09-13-2015, 07:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My son was on Vivitrol for 8 months and he hasn't used heroin at all. It also took the cravings away for him. Only thing I find scary is it worked so well for him he no longer thinks he's an addict. He stopped going to meetings, hangs with some of the old friends (not heroin addicts) but drinkers and recreational users. He was a very heavy user and as far as I know he is still off the herion but He stopped the shot this month so time will tell and I feel it's just a matter of time. Long story short like Marcus said its another tool and maybe the best one in the bag, but he still needs to work a program. My son has been on and off heroin 4 years, for him it is by far the worst drug In the world to stay away from.
Old 09-19-2015, 11:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Just took my first Vivitrol shot yesterday. I decided to use it as an additional tool for my recovery. I am an alcoholic, never tried heroin, or any other drugs for that matter, but I felt that it would provide me a safe space with reduced cravings to get better. So 24 hours in, no side effects at all. Dramatically reduced cravings, and real hope that I can succeed at sobriety this time.
Old 09-19-2015, 12:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
RacLon

Congrats MS!! He should be getting his on Tuesday, so here's hoping!!
Old 09-19-2015, 06:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I didn't have the shot but I did take the pills. They helped me a lot. They reduced my cravings and helped me get thru withdrawals better. Unfortunately, I didn't think I needed it anymore and boom that is when I relapsed! But I've heard very good things about the shot. Congrats Mrsmith! Wishing the best for your husband Rlong.
Old 10-13-2015, 10:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I used vivitrol for 5 months and I think that drug is a life saver... When you want to be sober. I noticed I didn't crave opiates until I knew my shot was about worn off. It's like a mental game. I got off my shot for surgery and went a little hard for about 4 months. I just finally got my **** together and I'm waiting to get back on it when the opiates clear. I will trying to get my **** together this time.
Old 10-13-2015, 11:20 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

Happy for you both Rlong