Notices

Relapse of 5 months clean

Old 07-30-2015, 12:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Relapse of 5 months clean

I relapsed. And I'm quite disappointed in myself. I was addicted to cocaine. But when I quit, I quite everything. I stopped smoking pot, stop popping pills, stop drinking. But I relapsed. I popped some ambien. I took six 5mg pills. Of course I got really messed up and we're will friends and dud a bunch of things I regret that I didn't remember doing in the morning until I were told. I've never been so disappointed. I've worked so hard. I was almost 6 months sober. And now it's nothing. Today is day 1 sober. Time to start over. Some support would be great.
Old 07-30-2015, 12:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

well, it can be a very SHORT relapse if you are ready to get back on the sober path!!!!!! while you may have to start the DAY count over, you did not LOST the experience of what it is like to be six months clean. and you know what tools worked and maybe even found where there is a hole or two in your program. they say a relapse starts long before we actually take the drug or the drink......
Old 07-30-2015, 01:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Kelsey,
I quit heroin last yr in Aug & was put on Suboxine. I decided to quit suboxine 6mos early, so I jumped ( cold turkey ) the end of Feb. I didn't expect the withdrawals to last so long, so I broke down 2wks into my withdrawals & bought a couple of hundred of crack to get some relief. This was a new drug to me & I only did it that 1 day in Mar. I still consider my clean date as Aug.2014 w/1 screw up.
Don't be too hard on yourself. Just pick yourself up, brush yourself off & consider it a temporary screw up. You can do this.
Old 07-30-2015, 03:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I wouldn't throw the bay out with the bathwater KT - you had a bad night and made some bad decisions.

you haven't lost all you learned or achieved in your 5 months - regardless of your day count.

Just pick yourself up and get back to where you want to be

D
Old 07-30-2015, 05:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

ok so you took too much of a sleeping pill. what you did wasn't good but don't overreact and say now the past 6 months are nothing. that would be a serious distortion of reality. it was one night of trying to catch a buzz and feel good. think about it thousands of addicts do that every day through drinking coffee or smoking cigs or gambling. there is no perfect sobriety people have their ways of trying to make themselves feel good in maybe not the most wholesome ways..., yours was just too much, just forget about it and keep trying your best
Old 08-01-2015, 06:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I read your story and firstly congratulations on all the clean time! It's one slip you've had, don't make it more than that, it can stop here and you can continue moving forward with your positive trajectory. Don't minimise what happened but don't dwell on it either. Reflect on why you used and put mechanisms in place that will give you an alternative next time you're in that situation. If you can get 5 months clean, you can get 5 years. Jut keep moving, no matter how slow, forward is forward!!!
Old 08-01-2015, 07:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Well said gnarly 5 months is FOokin ace - it took me 12 attempts to kick smack and I clean now but if I did use again there would have definitely been some trigger, something that had changed in my life, whatever - Id be doing by best to understand what it was that was behind getting back on drugs again. You need to do whatever it takes to make sure you don't turn this lapse into a relapse.

The clean time isn't wasted, far from it, take strength from the willpower and commitment to being clean for those 5 months, accept that you've had a wobble and try to get your head around it & why & don't let that addict voice that we all have in the back of our heads tell you it's wasted time - 5 months clean of addiction is never wasted time but it's your decisions now that are important. I'm sure you got clean for good reasons and I'm sure those haven't changed.
Gnarly is right if you can do 5months then you can do 5 years. I would never want to have to do it but if you can stop a lapse becoming a relapse as such then you can turn this into a victory. Don't let this become something that you beat yourself up about or let it fill your head with negative self talk. Do whatever it takes to not use today then start building up your clean time again. Good luck pal.
Old 08-03-2015, 04:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

What D said