Notices

Pain meds for surgery

Old 06-06-2015, 04:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Pain meds for surgery

Hi friends! So I've been opiate free since March of 2014. I have to have surgery next Thursday. I talked with the doctor and told him my situation with Pain meds and he said we'll just take it day by day and do 2 days worth at a time but I'm nervous! Anyone have experience with this? I'm more nervous of going through withdrawals again after only a few days if my body remembers it. I've been super open with my husband and doctors so i won't be prescribed much more just nervous of the chance of withdrawal. Any advice would be so appreciated!
Old 06-06-2015, 04:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

what kind of surgery?
Old 06-06-2015, 04:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

There are a lot of different pain meds available.
How long have you been off narcotics? You may have built a tolerance for pain meds.
It depends how your pain tolerance is. I do not tolerant pain well.
What surgery are you having?
How much pain you will be in?
You will have to take the wheel here, control what is given you and what you take once you get home. Take only as needed when you get home and hopefully you will find yourself taking less meds as time goes by.

Once you get out of the hospital, it is up to you...

Ask question?

good luck
Old 06-06-2015, 05:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am having a laparoscopy done for my endometriosis and infertility. It could be minimally invasive or more major and he won't know until he gets in there. Supposedly it's fairly painful for a few days. I have been off narcotics for 15 months now.
Old 06-06-2015, 05:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi mandiet
My doctor was always willing to look into non narcotic meds for me - would your doctor do that for you?

D
Old 06-06-2015, 05:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm sure he would what are non narcotic options? He offered tramadol but my withdrawals from that were worse than norco! I like the way norco makes me feel but percocet makes me tired and nauseated so we were going to use those seeing as I don't have a liking to them if that makes sense.
Old 06-06-2015, 05:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm not a doctor and I've never had a laparoscopy procedure so I can't really suggest any non narcotic meds. Your Dr is the best person to ask

D
Old 07-01-2015, 04:20 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I had serious neck surgery a few months ago, and I was secretly delighted to be legitimately prescribed tramadol. I was in agony and everyone felt sorry for me and kept dishing out the tramadol to me. Now I'm completely hooked on them and I was already battling alcohol. If I could turn the clock back I would bear the pain and not let anyone prescribe me anything addictive. Good luck with your op.