Notices

How and where to seek help

Old 04-16-2015, 11:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How and where to seek help

Hi all,
I am new to this site and new to recovery. I started out on opiate pain killers after a car accident. Then got kicked out of my doctor for failing a drug test. After buying pills off of the streets and pissing away all of my savings, I switched over to heroin. I desperately want off of this.

I have been trying to get assistance with detox. My health insurance will only cover traditional 30-90 inpatient programs. They do not cover rapid detox, ***** or anything else experimental. I have called 5 methadone clinics in my area and the shortest wait time is 2 months. I have called various suboxone clinics and haven't had much luck finding one to get in any sooner.

I work a full time job and have a family. I don't have the funds to pay for treatment out of pocket. I just don't think I can disappear for 1-3 months to go with the only program my insurance will pay for. Does anyone have any suggestions? Or any ideas for resources to get suggestions? Like I said, I am new to this and I am spinning my wheels and scared! Thank you in advance for your help!!
Old 04-16-2015, 11:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Fist off welcome to the forum.

I am not sure where you live, but in my area there are several behavioral health hospitals that offer inpatient detox. Usually 4 or 5 days to get past the worst of the symptoms. Obviously this is just a first step to help you get through withdrawals in a safe environment. Rapid detox is so expensive and I don't think the end result gets you much more than a traditional inpatient detox.

These same hospitals offer outpatient treatment (evening classes for those working) and partial hospitalization programs (you still go home, but are there from like 9am-5pm 5 days a week).

I know you said your insurance will only cover 30-90 programs, but I would see if you can locate a similar place near you and contact them. Make an appointment to go in and talk with someone. They will usually work with your insurance and often have a sliding pay scale if it comes to that. I don't know how much you are spending on H, but for me continuing to use was going to be MUCH more expensive than paying for treatment.

Does your work / insurance have an Employee Assistance Program? I know people are scared to use them, but that is what they are there for. I had to use mine a couple of times unfortunately.

I am 3 years clean from a $200 a day habit so it is entirely possible. I hope you find something that works for you. I have 3 kids myself and finally getting clean was by far the best thing I ever did. Take Care!!!
Old 04-16-2015, 02:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum EpiphanyNow!!

You'll find loads of support and advice here on SR!! Great to have you onboard!!
Old 04-16-2015, 03:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Epiphany,
Marcus basically covered everything, imo. So I just wanted to add that there's a lot of support available here @ SR. Glad to have you here!
Old 04-16-2015, 03:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you for the kind welcome Marcus, Purple Knight and kzaug2014!!

Marcus, I am from Milwaukee, WI. If you know of any places, I would gladly accept the recommendations!! I am going to look into IP BH Hospitals. If I could find one that I could go into for the worst of the detox, that would be great. I can't tell you how many times I have started to try to detox cold turkey at home and then gave up & scored some dope bc I couldn't take it anymore. I am buying about a gram ($150) every other day. So you are probably right on your math! As of right now, I am trying to avoid methadone or suboxone, if I can. I really do not want to trade one habit for another. But at this point, I just want to get off of this. I hate myself for how much $ I have wasted, how much of my life I have wasted bc my whole life revolves around my habit. I want my life back!!

Have any of you guys tried the home detox/wean down programs like Withdrawal Ease? I am just curious if it is with the $$ to buy all of the vitamins and OTC meds they recommend.

THANK YOU so So SO very much for your kind words and your help!
Old 04-16-2015, 03:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi EpiphanyNow

I have no specific experience to share but I wanted to welcome you. I'm sure you'll get responses.

I think withdrawal sucks no matter what drug it is - and it's meant to suck. We've been poisoning our bodies.

I understand you wanting to feel better but I think I'd rather just get through it than pull medical advice off the internet.

Here's an old thread on 'withdrawal ease'

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...awal-ease.html
Old 04-16-2015, 05:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I personally wouldn't do either a methadone or suboxine program ( if I were to do it over again ) Epiphany.
I've heard nothing good about methadone programs. And I did take suboxine for 6mos after quitting heroin. I jumped from 2mg subs on Feb. 25 & the w/d's last a long time ( a lot longer than heroin w/d's. ) I mostly have good days now, but then bam! Another of w/d's ( nothing horrible, just feel like crap. )
No info on w/d ease, sorry.
Getting clean takes a lot more than just detox. You need to learn to live clean again.
Old 04-16-2015, 08:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Kzaug2014...I was thinking the same thing about dones and subs. I want to be off of this beast, free and clear!! I am weaning down every day. I started a journal with dates, times, quantities. This way I have to be accountable to myself.

I emailed my HR at work to see if we have an EAP program. No response yet. But even if I don't have an EAP to help me find one, I am gonna keep looking for a IP BH Hospital like Marcus suggested and confirm if my ins will cover it.

Thank you everyone for the welcomes, advice/knowledge! Have a goodnight! Thanks again in advance for your support and help!!
Old 04-16-2015, 09:44 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome epiphany lots of good advise already. Just wanted to welcome you on board!
Old 04-18-2015, 11:19 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

In all honestly I have tried them all... spent 350 on withdrawal ease, tried subs etc. To me it was all a way to sugar coat the harm I had done to my body. I have always been a firm believe in ripping off the band aid, dealing with the detox and waiting until it passes. It sucks. We all know that. There is nothing anybody could say to make it better, we have done damage to our bodies and the drugs have to get out. I think that when I am going through, I try to be easy on myself and thing I and doing what is best for me. Hydrate, masterbate, funny movies, cry, hold, write, do anything. I have don't it all. Just keep it in today. You have a family that needs you, you can do this. Reach out for support through NA. thats my number one opinion. I live in a different country and got online when I was detoxing off 200mg opiate habit. I thought I was going to die. crapping green liquid, puking, sweating, crying, I couldn't tell my partner as he didn't understand, they called me daily. Met me at the metro and walked with me to a meeting. Sat with me at coffee shops. People in the rooms understand. hang in there man.