Notices

How do I get my best friend help??

Old 03-31-2015, 07:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How do I get my best friend help??

I have known my bestie for 15 years, we used to work together as teenagers.

In 2006 she was prescribed her first xanax and vicodin and it has been downhill since then. She has now built up quite the addiction. I would say she now takes up to 200 mg of percocet and probably 20 mg of xanax a day. She hasn't worked in 5 years.

The truth is I love her but she's a junkie. I can't have a rational conversation with her. I think she knows that she's an addict, but refuses to admit it. She has burn marks all over her chest from nodding off with a cigarette in her hand. I live with her so I see how high she is all the time. She nods off in restaurants, and really anywhere for that matter. She has been snorting her pills for years. Her Dr even prescribed fentanyl patches, which she learned would get her high if she sucks or chews them.

I get frustrated when she makes up excuses for her behavior. She always says it's because of a stomach issue she is having, her back pain, her fibromyalgia, etc etc. Her ability to always have an excuse has made me not want to keep bringing this issue up. HOWEVER, SHE STILL NEEDS HELP. I'm so scared that 1 day she will OD. She deserves a better life than this. How do I convince her she needs help while avoiding her excuses. I believe that people do things when they are ready and ready means accepting there is an issue. She needs to sober up to save herself. I was there when she was took her first pain pill/xanax, I want to be there when she takes her last 1 too.
Old 04-01-2015, 06:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I believe even with a high tolerance, our bodies can only take so much abuse. The combination she's on is a recipe for respiratory depression. Most just go to sleep and never wake up.

I can understand her throwing up excuses like back pain, etc. But the bottom line is she's not taking the meds the way their prescribed.
Snorting and chewing?

I'm not sure how to get through to a friend that far in. The painkillers are one thing, Xanax is a totally different beast.

Off the top of my head I'd ask to go with her to her next appt and observe what's going on in that office. Are they on the up and up? Is she getting meds on the side/illegally?
Is there someone you can talk to for support? Is there other people in her life? Kids/partner/family?
Last - does she have any desire whatsoever to take less meds? Or stop completely?

I'm sorry this is happening. It's really hard to watch anyone go through this. (((((hug))))
Old 04-01-2015, 03:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I was your friend last yr., except I took my meds as prescribed ( not because I was any better, but because I was terrified of becoming my mum. )

I was prescribed Methadone, norcos & klonopin for over 10yrs. Taking opiates & benzos together is a deadly combination. I had to sign an agreement that no one would sue, if I were to die! And there's a person here who lost her mother to this combination ( & her sister, I think. )

I'm sure there must be people who have wanted to quit prescription drugs, but I wasn't 1 of em! I think a lot of drug addicts that get their prescriptions from doctors don't think they have a problem because they are "prescribed" & legal.

It wasn't until after I lost my doctor, was cut off cold turkey & I turned to H to find relief from the withdrawals, that I admitted to myself that I had a problem ( I'm sorry, I know that's not what you wanted to hear. )

If you can figure out a way to wake her up ( intervention, maybe? But, I have no idea if these work ) make sure sure it is supervised by a doctor ( or rehab ) as a person can die from these withdrawals too.

And I hate to be the bearer of more bad news, but withdrawals from benzos last a very long time. Mine were 5mos long ( but I was unable to taper. )

Since you plan on being by her side indefinitely, you need to learn some coping skills, like they teach at al-anon.

Best wishes!
Old 04-01-2015, 05:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

All of her friends that were in her life 10 years ago have moved on, her new friends are just like her.

I know that my life with her is hard. Her family all have pretty much accepted her lifestyle but agree she needs help. She however doesn't bring it up. She talks about how she wants a better life, but she talks about how she hates being in so much pain. Sometimes I'm not sure if that is her actual physical pain, or her withdrawal pain.

I have gone to her Dr's appointment before. He is not a pill mill Dr and actually has a lot of accreditations under his belt. She however is very good actress and works the system. Her MD has signed that she is unable to work due to her fibro and sciatica, and so she has been on temporary assistance to pay her rent and give her food stamps. She has told me numerous times that she can get her dr to write her any rx she wants.

She really doesn't see she has an issue... I take pictures of her and videos and she will blame it on "the day she had a 102 fever"

She even was going through withdrawals so bad the other day she went to the ER, they diagnosed her with dehydration. I pray every day hoping that 1 day a doctor will see her as the patient she is and not treat her for the ailment she is complaining of

Old 04-04-2015, 07:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm a xanax and codiene addict myself.
My experience with xanax is that I can't sleep without it.
The one time I quit......I used ambien for about a week, then tappered to over the counter sleep syrup. I quit for a few weeks and stupid me......got back on them again.
Old 04-04-2015, 08:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Means,
I'm sorry, but I really think that you need to concentrate on you. I believe that until your friend realizes she has a problem, she won't quit.

Nearly a year ago, I was going to sue my doctor for malpractice. I had an attorney & was set to go. Then I got into heroin.

I'm a Christian woman who believes that all things happen for a reason. I've never believed in lawsuits, unless someone dies due to the negligence of others. The cost of everything goes up due to frivolous lawsuits.
Yet, I made myself believe that my doctor could eventually hurt someone someday ( just because I could have won doesn't make it right. )

I now believe that my path was already paved. And I am grateful!

Keeya,

I didn't sleep for probably 2wks straight when I quit klonopin ( but remember I went cold turkey. ) After the initial 2wks, I didn't sleep at night for about 2 more mo.'s. I would finally fall asleep in exhaustion the next day ( after trying to sleep all night long . )

The only time I've ever struggled w/sleep is during withdrawals. My hubby, on the other hand, does struggle w/insomnia. His psychiatrist prescribed a non narcotic sleep med recently & after yrs. of of struggling, he's finally sleeping well.

I firmly believe that benzos should never be prescribed long term ( no more than 8wks top. ) I think they should even put warnings on the prescriptions, stating this. Just my opinion!

Do you want to quit xanax & codeine?