Notices

Heroin withdrawal

Old 03-08-2015, 06:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Heroin withdrawal

Hey everyone... I just joined this community, so forgive me if I'm posting this in the wrong place. I'm looking for advice from anyone who has ever gone through detox and withdrawal from heroin. About two weeks ago my hubby came to me and confided that he has been using IV heroin for some time now and wanted to get clean. He checked himself into a detox center on 2-24, stayed the full 6 days and was discharged on 3-2 (Monday). They gave him medicine while he was there and sent him home with 1 1/2 Subutex tablets to continue his step down doses at home. He was to take 1/2 tablet Monday night, 1/2 tablet Tuesday morning and 1/2 tablet Wednesday morning and then he was to be done. He followed the instructions as directed, but started feeling achy Tuesday evening and Wednesday evening. He assumed it was just his body still adjusting to not having any drugs, but it's not getting any better. He said he still feels really crappy, his body hurts, he can't sleep, doesn't eat much and is starting to get really moody. He expected the physical pain to be over by now because he hasn't used since 2-22, but he's still miserable. Can anyone offer any advice about their experience with heroin detox and withdrawal? Is it normal to still feel this way this far in? He says he just doesn't feel right, he hurts and he has no energy at all. If it helps, he said he was using about 4 grams per day on average, but is now thinking that it may have been some kind of heroin called "China white" and that it may have been cut with something, possibly Fentynal? He isn't sure... He isn't sure when he started using either, but is estimating it at about a year or so, give or take. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Old 03-08-2015, 06:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

He just told me he feels "off," like he can't think straight. He's been biting the inside of his cheeks and lips, chewing his nails, stuff like that. He said he doesn't have any "cravings" for heroin, he just can't shake these feelings. We're both worried that something is wrong... Is this normal? If so, when will it subside?
Old 03-08-2015, 08:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Since we are not doctors it would be dangerous for someone to say he should just ride it out - he will be fine. Does he have any follow up appointments with a doctor? If not he should make one.

That being said 4 grams (if that is true) is a monster habit and if he has been doing it for a year he is probably not going to feel 100% in a week or two. For me eating right, exercising, and getting enough sleep helped my body heal.

Unfortunately you never do know what you are getting buying dope off the street. It ends up getting cut with all sorts of stuff. The dealers are out there to make money at any cost, but of course want you to come back so might at least hope you don't OD and die.

I am a bit surprised he is not having cravings, but it is not unheard of. If I was on a one year run like that my anxiety would be through the roof for a bit and my addiction would remind me of what works. Unfortunately getting off dope was just the tip of the iceberg for me. I had to learn how to cope with life sober and I couldn't do it alone. Hopefully he is reaching out in some way (aftercare, outpatient, therapy, meetings, etc.).

I hope he starts feeling better, but should get checked out. Take Care.
Old 03-08-2015, 08:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you for the reply Marcus, I appreciate your feedback. He does not have any follow up appointments with a doctor, but I suggested that to him and he just kind of blew it off. He doesn't want to go to the doctor because he's afraid they will want to put him on Subutex or something like they did in detox, and he doesn't want to be on anything. Would you recommend an appointment with a doctor who specializes in aftercare or just his regular family physician?
Yes, he said he was using 4 grams a day, and although I don't know much about what the typical amount is, from what I understand that is a LOT. They told him when he checked into detox that that was a very high amount and they typically see 1.5-2 grams with addicts who use for years. He told me that there were many times where he thought he was going to die, sitting in his car, alone in a parking lot somewhere, because he took too much.
But that's all water under the bridge for me, I try not to think about that part of it too much, as I had NO IDEA it was going on until the day before he went to detox.
He says he doesn't have any cravings, but I'm not sure I believe that completely or not. Just because he's quick to snap at me, or at our 5 year old, and just little things he says and does. He is tired of being stuck in the house, he told me he he can't stand himself, he's bored, he wants to find a job and start working, but he can't shake these withdrawal symptoms. And honestly, I'm not sure that he's ready for that anyway. He went to a CA meeting one time since he got out of detox, and said he was glad he went, but then completely changed his mind the next day. I tried to get him to go to outpatient therapy and/or counseling, and he was on board at first, but now he doesn't want that either. This is the mood swing issue I was talking about, he is fine one minute, then completely annoyed the next minute... That, with all the physical things he's still experiencing, I'm afraid is going to drive him back into his old life...
Old 03-08-2015, 09:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

We talked a little bit tonight and he got some things off his chest. He confided that he isn't 100% confident in himself yet and he knows he still has a long road to recovery, but he thought he would be feeling better than he does by now. He is struggling with the reality of what he's done to us and the rest of his family (I posted a little bit about that a couple days ago if you're interested), and he hates himself for it. He's trying to figure out where he fits in and how to start over in his new life of sobriety... He feels like it would be easier to move forward if he didn't feel so crappy still. He's getting discouraged and I'm worried. I want to help him through this, I keep telling him it won't last forever, but he doesn't want to hear it from me because I can't relate. I'm going to call about a gym membership for him tomorrow, maybe that will help him too...

Can I ask, was it heroin IV you used to use?
Old 03-08-2015, 09:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yes IV. About 7 years with a few years of pain killers before that (and lots of other stuff before that). I will be 3 years sober next month. I was using 2 grams a day (a gram of raw costs around $120 in Chicago, but if you buy more it is cheaper). So either your husband was spending $400 a day or it was cut with quite a bit of who knows what. I can't imagine you wouldn't notice lots of track marks at that amount. Tolerance does build fast, but still he must have been The Walking Dead for a year.

Anyway no need to dig into that. It is what it is at this point. I did read your post the other day. That is quite a lot to get smacked over the head with at once. I am married with 3 kids and have seen firsthand just what addiction does to a family. I sure hope your husband is done, but understand Heroin can be extremely hard to quit for an extended period of time without some major life changes. That is in no way giving him an excuse - I have seen plenty of people do it, but I have seen many more continue to stumble and many others OD and die. One of the more dangerous times is when you do get clean for a bit and then go back to using. Since you tolerance is lowered the risk of OD is much higher (as if it wasn't bad enough already).

Anyway it is past my bedtime and with the time change Monday morning is going to hurt a bit more than usual tomorrow. Hopefully some others come along and share their experience. You should check out the friends and family forum too. Like I said there is probably some relief that you believe your husband to be done, but maybe he just ran out of money and options. Based on your first post it sounds like he sunk pretty low so maybe it will be a bottom for him. Does your husband drink or smoke pot (or any other drugs)? Is his plan complete abstinence?

Okay have a good night. Take Care of your child and yourself first!
Old 03-09-2015, 07:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congrats on your the years of sobriety! What an awesome accomplishment!!

Heroin is a very expensive habit to have, I've learned that these past two weeks... Because yes, he was spending about $400/day it. Back in late summer/early fall, it was about $200-$300 each day, but around thanksgiving is when it jumped to an average of $400 daily. There were several occasions where it was closer to $600, but only about once a week. I never noticed the money missing because he never took it out of his paycheck or the checking account, it always came out of savings. We had been saving for years to put a down payment on a house and had managed to save up about $35,000 in cash, that's where he funded a lot of it from...

As for track marks, I never noticed them. I had never seen tracks before, I've never known anyone who used IV drugs so I've never thought to look. I've seen marks on his arms before, but never thought anything of them because he's a welder and it's not uncommon for him to get little burn marks from that. I learned after he got out of detox last week that he didn't use his arms to shoot up though, he used his hands and legs/feet. For some strange reason, I needed to see them when he got home, and when he showed me it was like finding out all over again. How could I not have seen that?! I tried not to show my emotions too much because I knew he felt ashamed and I wanted him to know I was supportive. In the months prior, I had noticed a change in his personality, but I believed him when he told me he was just tired and stressed out. He had started working afternoons at work just before Christmas so I knew it was a big adjustment for him. I wish I had followed my gut, something was telling me that something just wasn't right...

Yes, addiction can have a huge impact on a family, but I'm trying to be as supportive as possible. I'm trying to keep the mindset that everything he sold and scrapped, along with the money he spent, is all replaceable, he is not. I just want him to be ok so we can start a new life together, leaving everything about our old life behind, the good and the bad. I hope he can leave it all behind too... Because this is the second time I've gone through it with him. A few years ago he used heroin for a few months, not to this extent, but it was still a hard time for us. He wasn't using it IV, and he wasn't using near as much as this time, but he still had to detox. He told me about it then and decided to detox at home. Yes, he was miserable, but it only lasted for about a week, week and a half maybe, that's how he expected it to be this time. He thought the withdrawal would be over by now, he didn't think he would still be this sick two weeks in. We were both starting to think maybe something was wrong...

The thought of him relapsing terrifies me, I think about it at least once a day, I can't lie. Heroin is so bad in Ohio, especially in northeast Ohio where we live. He said it's easier to buy heroine than it is a loaf of bread, it's on every Street, in every neighborhood, in every town around here. That's why our treatment options are so limited. There are so many addicts using the local resources around here as a crutch, 90% of them are repeat patients who come in every couple of weeks just to take the edge off until they can get some money, then they bail out of detox. While my heart goes out to them, I wish them the best and pray for their recovery, but I get frustrated with them too. It's made it almost impossible to get him into rehab because they're all full and there is a waiting list for all of them.

You asked if his plan for recovery is abstinence from all drugs and alcohol? I can't answer that... He wants to be free of all drugs, but with him feeling as bad as he does, he's willing to try just about anything to feel better. He says he will never do drugs ever again, that it's so stupid to have done this to himself, but I can't say for sure. He's strong willed, he wants this more than anything, but he's almost at his breaking point for how much insomnia and body aches he can handle. He told me he feels like a "malfunctioning machine" and his brain doesn't want to work, which is probably a combination of lack of sleep and lack of drugs. We're going to start an exercise program together tomorrow, so maybe that will help... I just hope these symptoms start to wear off soon, he's a good guy and he's trying so hard to do the right thing...

But thanks for the encouragement, it's helpful to be able to talk to someone who has been where he is, it helps me understand how he's feeling since he doesn't always like to talk to me about it. I guess it's understandable, because no matter how much I can empathize, I can't completely relate to what he's feeling...

Thanks again, and a huge congrats on your sobriety!!!
Old 03-10-2015, 08:00 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks MissMo. Obviously I don't know your husband, but I do know addicts and the addictive mind pretty well. I wasn't using the entire 7 years. Heroin took me down so fast at first it was only 3 months after I first tried it that I was in detox. I was only snorting it too at first. I would drive into the worst neighborhoods in Chicago pulling down alleys to gang members buying it. I got ripped off plenty of times. Mainly just selling me crap, but one time a guy I had bought from before got in my car and pulled a knife. Took my money, my phone, and my drivers license. Luckily I didn't decide to do something stupid. Eventually I was introduced to higher level dealers and buying in bulk and while the meeting spots were much safer and the transaction felt safer I was looking at SERIOUS jail time if I ever got caught let alone my chances of ODing. Your husband is very lucky he is not either dead or sitting in jail right now.

That is good you want to put things behind you, but trust me it is going to be VERY hard at first. Your emotions will hit you in waves. You will remember things from the past where you tell yourself I should have known and anger will boil up. If he is truly trying to get sober the same thing will happen to him. His guilt and shame will hit him in waves remembering all of the things he has done.

I probably spent $250,000 give or take during my run with H and pills. I should have my house paid off. Blew through 30K we had put away for my kids college. Ran credit cards up to like 75K. I never did steal - well I guess I did steal from my family and kids and a piece of their future. Boosting (as they call it - going to stores and stealing stuff and pawning it) is a favorite past time of many a dope addict. I was too scared to do that - felt like I was sure to get busted, but I had no problem driving into the hood or shooting H while driving.

My final comment is about abstinence. I tried the harm reduction strategy for a long time (part of the reason it took over 7 years). If I just stick to booze and some pot and stay away from opiates it is okay. After all I was just so sure I would NEVER EVER do that again. Weekend drinking eventually became daily drinking. If I didn't drink I would most likely smoke pot. Then there were plenty of times after a few drinks a little H sounded good (and I was only going to snort it this time so it would be okay). Just a word of warning to you. I know people might want to argue that point with me, but how many of those people were IVing $400 of dope a day? If he does decide he wants to do the booze and marijuana maintenance program I would ask him why is getting high so dam important? He has a kid and a great family - why the need to escape?

I guess they don't drug test welders these days. Nodding out while welding sounds a bit dangerous. Sorry I like to joke a bit. Take care!
Old 03-10-2015, 09:19 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You live in the path of ever changing heroin. Does that mean anything? Yes and no ...

It probably isn’t cut, it wouldn’t be able to compete with crack, hell this is a business after all. Most heroin, is real close to 100 percent pure in the northeast. And then there is that china white, which is fentanyl, roughly 80 times stronger than the already good heroin on the street. It isn’t pharmaceutical grade, but it is scary close.

And it is so easy to get, in Camden you can cop in the corner store … go in grab your lunch and your drug of choice at the same time. Very convenient.

I could have written your story. My husband kicked 2 years before “ the big kick” he wasn’t sick to any degree symptom wise. My husband was using at least 2 grams a day with china white on the street that would come and go, week to week.He did “the big kick” with his doctors blessing and the 1st week was just pure insanity, mainly he was out of his mind … 7 days in just on clonidine for his bp and he still wasn’t sleeping, he still was dealing with pronounced physical symptoms. 12 days in he finally got some kind of stomach sick, just briefly. 14 days in he was in the er with chest pain to find his blood pressure was through the roof. He was taken off the clonidine in patch form and given pill form to better control it. 21 days he may have finally been getting an hour of sleep a night, and was dealing with some physical, but the mental was becoming more pronounced. Shortly after he relapsed, stopped fairly quick and was put on sub while clean … and no it doesn’t end there. It goes on for years, a team of doctors, the shrink, the neurologist to address the pain, an acupuncturist, outpatient in the beginning, meetings along the way although not a constant. It was what it was his ride.

He is strong willed as well. I see that as a blessing and a curse. In terms of him still being alive, it is a blessing, in terms of being clean and sober a curse. He still wrestles with keeping present that being strong has nothing to do with anything and that it wasn’t a weakness to struggle or to crave.

Addiction doesn’t make sense, it isn’t rational and can’t be reasoned with.

Addiction doesn’t need help, although most families have this strong desire to help. Keep close he is a grown man and capable of taking care of himself. I had a moment where I cringed when you wrote … we’re going to start an exercise program tomorrow and that should help … Yeah I was all in too, with the we .. in an if I just then maybe he won’t …

You gotta watch your own motive in that "we" because there is no we in addiction. This is his, you are just watching and have no control over his addiction and won’t have effect on it ... well you know unless you become an enabler, an excuse maker, a cushion tosser outer, a savior … and you will have no control over his recovery but can be a positive in that respect if you find a program of your own to work. Then you remove the sick dynamics addiction can bring into a relationship. Addiction takes a huge toll on those who watch and many become something they never thought they would getting as sick or sicker than the addict in their life.

There is a family board here. It can be a source of support for you. Many are where you have been, some are in between and some are like me way past the insanity.

I will keep good thoughts for both of you.
Take good care of you, it is an absolute must!

And Marcus, I sure as hell wouldn't argue with you. I watched my husband play all sorts of head games with himself to stay away from heroin. See heroin was it, heroin was the only drug that he fought not to use, nothing else could compete, and yet not having that high, that coping mechanism that whatever he labeled any using in his head ... it is convoluted that's for sure and I do understand.
Old 03-10-2015, 08:50 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

MissM0 - I recently did an at home detox of sorts with short-term suboxone use. It baffles me how doctors get away with giving folks suboxone for a week and then cutting them loose while the suboxone is still in their system. This one seems even worse because they didn't even finish the stepping down during detox. I mean, what kind of **** is that? I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but he isn't 'detoxed' at all. The suboxone just delays the withdrawal. It does make it milder, but it still sucks. It draws it out substantially too. What did the doctors say? Let me guess "oh, he might feel a little uncomfortable at home" or something like that? Every time I see one of those dick doctors describe withdrawal as 'uncomfortable' on some TV show I want to just reach through the tube and start strangling them. It is about as 'uncomfortable' as getting a limb amputated. Sorry to go off on a rant, but you aren't the first person that has come on with a loved one that went through a 'detox' like this. Personally, I think it is a scam / rip-off to even call it a 'detox'.

In any event, if he is looking for a timeline for the withdrawal the clock doesn't start until the last sub dose. From there it takes a couple days for the sub to drop out of your system enough to get solidly sick. Then it ramps up daily for a few days. It peaks, and then it slowly gets better. All-in-all I started feeling reasonably better by two weeks after the last sub dose. This timeline I mentioned is just my personal experience. This time around I have to say that I got sicker quicker than I was expecting. It came on pretty fast around day 3 (I think). I haven't been keeping the best track of the days this time.

There are several things that he can do to ease the withdrawal symptoms. Exercise is great if he is up to it. I am going through the ringer myself, and I am just not there as far as exercise goes. If he can get out and exercise it will help though. Hot bathes help. He can try adding Epsom salts to keep it hotter and avoid pruning during a long bath. If you look around you can see a lot more as far as tips go on this site. Although, I don't understand why he isn't checking this stuff out. It is his withdrawal, and he should be taking the lead on dealing with it.

The number one thing is to remind him that he never has to go through this again, ever. As far as the insomnia goes, it is important not to worry about it. People start to freak out and panic when they are only getting 1-2 hours of sleep for a while. I remember telling one of the older NA guys that I first met in NYC about how tired I was. He told me to get a coffee. Then I went on and on about well I have only slept 3 hours in the past 4 days, I am so tired, I am exhausted, whine, whine, poor me, etc. His response was something like "well, I used to smoke meth and stay up for 5 days straight...so what is the problem...do you want to quit this **** or not...there is a Starbucks across the street...they sell coffee there."
Old 03-27-2015, 10:38 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone for your feedback! I'm sorry I haven't been on with an update lately, things have been pretty rough...

I've been fighting an internal battle with everything, and I thought those feelings were over. I can't help but keep thinking about it, not an hour goes by that I don't. But what's done is done, how I'm feeling is irrelevant, I know I won't turn to drugs so I'm focused on keeping things as peaceful as possible for him.

Anyway, he's doing OK right now. He's relapsed a few times, and I hate to say it, but I wasn't completely surprised. Of course I hoped he wouldn't, but I tried to be prepared for the worst...

I have some running to do today while my son is in school, but I'll be back on later tonight with a better update. Thanks again for the support! ((hugs)) ♥
Old 03-27-2015, 01:16 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi MissMo,
I just wanted to offer my support. My husband & I both quit H last yr. He relapsed last mo. & just got out of rehab this past Mon.
My husband also had a very hard time ( both times, as have I, but I just knew I didn't want that kind of life & there was no going back for me. )
I think it's extremely important for him to seek outside support...NA, AA, drug counseling, anything.
I think it's important for you too.
Wish I had a magical antidote!
He just took suboxine those 1st three days, right?
Old 04-21-2015, 07:27 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Good luck!