Notices

Here I go... Going cold turkey

Old 03-01-2015, 07:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Here I go... Going cold turkey

Hi, I took my last dose of 60mg oxycodone at 2pm I've attempted to do this in the past and here I am again. Just trying to reach out
Old 03-01-2015, 10:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

JBlu - best of luck. The forum is a little quiet on the weekends, but keep posting. More folks will join in, and there is a lot of good support here. I am not far behind you. Right now, I am on 1 sub strip per day, and I am looking to jump off in the next week or two.
Old 03-02-2015, 05:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You can do it. Might suck for a few days but just ride it out.
Old 03-02-2015, 06:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you!
Old 03-02-2015, 08:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

How are you doing, JBlu? Has it kicked in yet?
Old 03-02-2015, 12:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey It's been 24 hours and I feel ok... I don't know what to expect
Old 03-02-2015, 12:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Fantastic 24 hours plus!
Old 03-02-2015, 12:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You are doing great! Keep it up and keep checking in!
Old 03-02-2015, 01:27 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi! I feel okay. I guess I'm letting it all get to my head. I've ordered some supplements to help with this withdrawal and I think they are really helping. I feel very lazy and I have some chills before I take the supplements. I started abusing oxycodone after a motorcycle accident last year. It's been at least 8 months now and I've been taking upwards of 30mg a day for several months... It's been 26 hours and I feel ok... I just don't know what to expect thank you for checking up with me I feel so hopeless
Old 03-02-2015, 02:19 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Jblu

D
Old 03-02-2015, 03:07 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Heya Jblu, hang in there, 24 hrs down so you're well on your way, that's great the supplements are helping, try to focus on the moment & go easy on yourself
Old 03-02-2015, 06:15 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I've got immodium, kratom, gabapentin and phenibut. I'm kinda weary about the phenibut. I've been reading about doing this for a long time and for 31hrs in I feel pretty good compared to a lot of experiences I've been reading into. The internet is a lifesaver! Can you imagine trying to do research without it? I'm not absolutely clear about the rules on this site. What are the no-no's and is private messaging about opiate withdrawal aids frowned upon? Please feel free to private message me. I would really like to knoe about your experiences with opiate withdrawal. I have no one at home... This is my skeleton... I'm so grateful for you guys!

Last edited by JBlu; 03-02-2015 at 06:16 PM. Reason: Mispelling
Old 03-02-2015, 08:09 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

JBlu - I would defer to the mods about rule interpretations, but I do know that folks can share personal experiences. If someone has used certain things to help them through withdrawal I think they can share their story with you. My general rule of thumb is that I don't send things via PM that I wouldn't feel comfortable sharing on the public forum. Sometimes I break that rule, but that is what I aim for anyway.

One word of caution is on the kratom. Some members have had their own withdrawal coming off of it. I don't know that much about it other than the fact that it contains some naturally occurring mild, opiate.

The one thing I have found is that with a cold turkey kick I would always peak by 72 hours. It would start to get better by then. I had a heavy habit for about 8 years when I last kicked cold turkey. Lighter / shorter habits tend to peak sooner based on everything that I have seen. If you are at 31 hours in then I would think that you would have a feel for how it is going to go. There were some cases where I had a withdrawal start out mild and then all the sudden ramp up, but it would always start accelerating by the 24 hour mark.

To be honest, the biggest thing with withdrawal is just getting to the point where I accept the fact that it is going to be rough, and roll with it. I had many false starts with the recent switch to subs, and I am going to be jumping off shortly. The key for me getting through the next phase is going to be acceptance that I will deal with some pain, and not getting overly anxious about it. Even whenever it gets real bad it doesn't stay that bad forever. I find that it comes in waves. During my recent switch I went into a panic on that night because I forgot to remind myself that it doesn't stay terrible for that long. Sure, it is rough for a while, but it isn't like kneeling on the ground praying for death or curled up in a fetal position bad the entire time. When it gets that bad I find that it let's up somewhat not long afterwards.

It is good to have you on the forum. Don't disappear on us.
Old 03-02-2015, 11:29 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Oh my goodness thank you so much opiophobe! I'm experiencing some chills and a little anxiety right now but it's overall not so bad. I hope I'm not setting myself up for tomorrow! I'm planning on taking immodium for the withdrawals tomorrow. I've heard alof of good things about it for withdrawals. The kratom, yuck! It's so bitter! I'm guessing it helped out today, maybe took the edge off but on to something new tomorrow! I've also heard good things about taking gabapentin for a very very short time due to it building tolerance rapidly and having horrible withdrawals itself. I'm so happy to be apart of this!!! It makes me feel good that I'm not alone here! Thank you thank you so much!
Old 03-02-2015, 11:44 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sharing personal experience is generally fine but recommending things or asking for recommendations on meds is not allowed.

It's your call, but I'd second Opio's caution with the Kratom. I've seen a few threads here from people who got in real trouble.

D
Old 03-03-2015, 01:35 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

JBlu - I get it with using meds during withdrawal. The absolute best way to do it is to minimize what you take. That being said, you have to do what you have to do to get through withdrawal. The other night I ended up taking some Xanax at the time that I switch from H to subs. It is a no-no to take those two together, but I had to use my judgment on what I was able to handle. The fact of the matter was that I wasn't going to go from full blown panic, climbing the walls to comatose with what I took. I knew that based on prior experience with both drugs. Sure, it would have been better if I hadn't taken anything, but I would rather have taken the Xanax than to have given up on the quit. No judgments on needing to take something to get through the first, very rough part of it. Also, it would have been better if I hadn't taken the subs at all, but that is what I did and that is what I have to work with. You already took the Kratom so it is what it is at this point. I would just hate to see you take it regularly for a while with no idea that it could cause withdrawal. Then you might have stopped it weeks or months down the road, and found out in the worst way.

Just be careful that you don't overdo it, and that you get off of everything as quickly as possible.
Old 03-03-2015, 05:33 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

At that dose and duration, I really think you are going to bounce back fast. Half way there!
Old 03-03-2015, 06:09 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Yes I ditto what TE said! You are already peaking most likely! Its all downhill from here. You got this JB!
Old 03-03-2015, 06:25 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

J...don't feel hopeless! You are making a big step for your future. If anything, think about how much this helps others on this forum alone. I commend you for that as I know it's very hard to do! Don't future trip, just take it a moment at a time!

Be well!!!
Old 03-03-2015, 09:01 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

JBlu - how are things going bud? I hope the worst is behind you at this point.