Notices

drugs and hormones

Old 12-18-2014, 07:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

drugs and hormones

I was taking norcos for 6 years and underwent numerous surgeries. I am now 26 and have been off of them for 6 months now. I still feel like my body is going crazy and it feels like my hormones and pain is out of control. I get random headaches that last for weeks. My emotions are all over the place. I've been to numerous doctors and they cant find anything wrong and they just put me on antidepressants that make me feel worse. Is this normal? Is this going to go away eventually? Why is getting off these things so difficult?
Old 12-19-2014, 12:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey Sarah, I'm sorry that you're struggling, unfortunately there's no set time limit for people to get back to their normal levels.

What you're describing sounds like it could be unrelated to your norco habit though, have you addressed the basics? Diet, exercise, rest, relaxation and something to occupy your mind in the way of a hobby?

It took me months for my body to regulate again when I first got clean off a 7yr habit, I just took it really easy and was as kind to myself as possible, if you can try to surround yourself with positive things and people, Im sure it will make all the difference.

Vibes
Old 12-19-2014, 02:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It's ok it just sucks. You said it took months for your body to get back to normal... what do you mean by that? Like I know that your emotions and mental state can take time to adjust but I did not realize it was going to be this hard... and the pain just sucks. It's not constant but when I do get pain it feels way more intense than it used to. I was just wondering if other people had a hard time this far out. I can't really exercise due to physical limitations but I eat healthy. But my living environment sucks. I live in a bachelor pad which I hate. I just hate my body feeling like this. It makes everything so hard.
Old 12-19-2014, 03:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The first time I got clean it took me months before the old neurological connections settled down & allowed the anxiety, depression, edginess to lift.

It's good to hear that you eat healthy, lots of fresh veges, fruit and water are some of the key the building blocks of what our bodies require to fully recover.

I'm sorry but I cant really relate to the pain aspect of your experience. Perhaps you could try another doctor? They might pick up on something the previous ones did not.
Old 12-21-2014, 09:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I work in a field where people have pain usually from surgeries such as total joint replacement which are procedures often repeated. Such as getting the left one done and then later on getting the right one. NO ONE remembers pain and what you have is always the worst you've ever had. You can remember that you had pain but cannot actually recall it to the point of actually feeling it. I often think that this is a way that our body/brain protects us. It, indeed, would be terrible to actually feel the pain of an old surgery or fracture etc...

So now when we have pain that we actually have to feel we addicts suffer and wish we had a pill to make it better.

In reality I can't say a pain pill ever made pain less for me they just made me not care as much and eventually sent me to hell.
Old 12-21-2014, 11:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yeah pain is a weird thing... and getting off the pain killers have been harder than any surgery I've been through. But they really did help with the pain... when I would take them I remember being able to feel the pain literally going away. Now that I'm off them it just feels I'm super sensitive to pain. Is it possible that painkillers can mess up our pain receptors? I'm trying to tough it out because I don't wanna take anything if my body will find a new balance over time.

Every month I've been off of them I feel my body is repairing a new part. Like the first month was basic withdrawals. ..the second month my stomach was super messed up...the third month I had a lot of back spasms and anxiety. .. the fourth month my muscles ached a lot...the fifth month I had bad anxiety and headaches ... and I'm in my sixth month with still a minor headache but my hormones are going crazy and I have mood swings like no other. And I'm just sitting here thinking what the hell did I do to myself? If I knew I had to go through this I would've just tried to tough out the pain from all my surgeries. Is there going to be a point where I'll feel good again and not worry bout what the next day is going to bring?
Old 12-21-2014, 11:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yeah pain is a weird thing... and getting off the pain killers have been harder than any surgery I've been through. But they really did help with the pain... when I would take them I remember being able to feel the pain literally going away. Now that I'm off them it just feels I'm super sensitive to pain. Is it possible that painkillers can mess up our pain receptors? I'm trying to tough it out because I don't wanna take anything if my body will find a new balance over time.

Every month I've been off of them I feel my body is repairing a new part. Like the first month was basic withdrawals. ..the second month my stomach was super messed up...the third month I had a lot of back spasms and anxiety. .. the fourth month my muscles ached a lot...the fifth month I had bad anxiety and headaches ... and I'm in my sixth month with still a minor headache but my hormones are going crazy and I have mood swings like no other. And I'm just sitting here thinking what the hell did I do to myself? If I knew I had to go through this I would've just tried to tough out the pain from all my surgeries. Is there going to be a point where I'll feel good again and not worry bout what the next day is going to bring?
Old 12-21-2014, 11:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

@gnarlyboots: how long do you think it took for the edginess to go away? I feel edgy all the time. Like I can feel waves of anxiety hit me throughout the day. Sometimes they go into full blown panic attacks. Everyone seems so positive about getting off opiates and I'm glad I did ... don't get me wrong but it's been 6 months and I'm just like I'm ready to move on with my life and pursue my goals but I feel so unstable all the time. I don't get it. Why does it seem like I'm the only one still struggling this far out? Am I just being impatient?
Old 12-22-2014, 12:28 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Sarahjade, you poor thing, you're not being impatient at all, 6 months is a long time to have to feel edgy for, you have every right in the world to be bothered.

The first time I got clean last year, it took me about 5-6 months before things started to get better anxiety wise, I took a proactive approach, which included being very careful about my diet, exercise, meditation and reading a lot of positive literature. Nature was also very healing.

I'm not really qualified to give you any advice over the internet, except perhaps to suggest you look up natural ways to get on top of anxiety, there's a lot of good info out there
Old 12-22-2014, 02:07 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Sarah

Just reading through your posts - let me tell you, you are not alone! I feel the same way and I'm a bit over 5 months out. I also have pain issues, a crazy medical history, and hormone problems like you wouldn't believe. I never thought hormones could be so detrimental....but I have been working with the doctor to try to find the right meds, and certain ones made me crazy...literally.

When I quit it was with nothing but me and this website. I realize that I need additional help, and I am going to start to see a therapist in the coming year. A lot of issues have started to surface, things I need help to deal with. Do you see anyone? What is your support network....meetings or anything? I'm thinking this may really help me....I need to get out of this limbo I am in. Perhaps the same for you?

Maybe it's still PAWS, maybe it's other things. And maybe some of us just need more time than others. But I promise you that you are not alone in feeling the way you do. Believe me. Sending good thoughts your way. Hang on, I do believe it will get better
Old 12-23-2014, 10:33 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SarahJade View Post
Now that I'm off them it just feels I'm super sensitive to pain. Is it possible that painkillers can mess up our pain receptors? I'm trying to tough it out because I don't wanna take anything if my body will find a new balance over time.
Sarah, what I've read on this subject, as related to my own issues with chronic pain and Oxy, really opened my eyes to what I couldn't fully understand--that my overuse/abuse led to increased pain. When I went C/T off a three-figure mg/day existance (no real life!) at first the pain and headaches were nearly unbearable...five days w/o respite, nor sleep, nor even the ability to hold down water without puking....

But I found that once the worst had subsided, my pain was less, and the longer I stayed off them the less it became by a few increments. It still can get a bit overwhelming at times, especially if I miss a week of the mild exercise (water based) that I get and then overdo it.

Physicians are just now trying to understand the relation between tolerance development and what's become known as:

Opiod-induced hyperalgesia

http://mytopcare.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Lee.pdf

If your body responds in a similar manner than mine did, you should find that the longer you are off them, the better, at least to a degree, your body will experience and deal with (previous) pain levels.

I am NOT any type of medical professional nor is this post meant as medical advice. I'm just trying to share information I found beneficial to explain what I was going through.
Old 12-23-2014, 06:12 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone for the advice... it's just so hard... how come people make it look so easy?

Everywhere I read people are saying how much they love their drug free life and how wonderful things are and I'm sitting here at 6 months fighting to get through the day. Dealing with anxiety or mood swings or muscle pain or headaches. Is this how getting off opiates usually go? I've read that opiates are one of the hardest drugs to get off of... is this why? Have I been completely naive as to what to expect?

@gnarlyboots: so you suffered from anxiety for a few months when you got off? How long have you been off for? How do you feel now?

@eyesofastranger: that makes me feel better knowing that I'm not the only out there still struggling. I'm glad to hear that you're toughin it out. You should be proud of yourself. :-) how are you emotionally? You ever get waves of anxiety or depression?

@oxymaddened: thanks for all the info! So do you think that the hyperalgesia is chronic? And what's the difference between that and fibromyalgia? How has your journey been from getting clean?