Notices

Ever abuse inhalants?

Old 09-29-2014, 11:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Ever abuse inhalants?

Has anyone here ever abused inhalants?

Like glue, solvents, poppers/Amyl, nitrous, freon, ethyl chloride, etc.?

I did use nitrous a few times and it was enjoyable usually alone either while stoned on cannabis, or while on psychedelic mushrooms.

I know other people who used it way more than I did, and some people who would inhale glue, solvents, etc.

I once was stoned and hanging out with some shady people my friend in highschool knew and this girl got out a can of endust and I thought "WTF why is she going to clean stuff now? Is she on amphetamines, coke, or meth?" and then she put it to her mouth and inhaled it. :-\

I know people who use Amyl/poppers and that is a drug, and I knew a lot of people in highschool who would inhale "duster" or the stuff in a can you use to clean out computer keyboards, some who inhaled solvents, and people who inhaled spraypaint or even freon.

I was able to stop using nitrous on my own but I know people who still use it. I do not know if the other people I mentioned who used inhalants like duster, freon, glue, spraypaint, etc. still use them or not since I no longer have contact with them.
Old 09-30-2014, 05:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Recovered

I did a lot of Scotch guard and gasoline when I was in high school (and missed a quite a bit of class!!) I definitely was looking to feel high however and whenever possible.

I do believe that I have some brain damage as a result. So there's that. :-(
Old 09-30-2014, 05:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fotographia View Post

Has anyone here ever abused inhalants?
We did most every thing that we could get our hands on when we were young. One substance that came in a spray can coated my friends lungs and he died at a party being held at his house. If I remember correctly he was around 21 years old, had two full time jobs and partied like heck when he was at home.

Burning the candle at both ends (to put it mildly).

I will not revel the brand name of the canned spay used. Who knows, it may trigger someone ??

Also while working for the City Parks Dept. over many years, there were times in which I would see ones come up from the bushes in the canyons with paint all over their mouths and faces. Had a chance to talk with more than one. (Poor souls didn't even realize that they were destroying their minds and bodies).

A nice ((sober)) day wished for all

Mountainman
Old 09-30-2014, 05:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mfanch View Post

(and missed a quite a bit of class!!)
you remind me of me

around tenth grade I think (getting high took front seat)

I was no longer interested in school

MM
Old 09-30-2014, 08:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

One of my friends recently told me how when he was younger he did use a lot of nitrous. Not just a few times like I had but apparently he'd used a few cases of the whipped cream chargers or whipits.

I was sort of surprised because I knew he had drank quite a bit as that's how we met in a club, and later in bars.
Old 09-30-2014, 08:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mfanch View Post
I did a lot of Scotch guard and gasoline when I was in high school (and missed a quite a bit of class!!) I definitely was looking to feel high however and whenever possible.

I do believe that I have some brain damage as a result. So there's that. :-(
Why do you think you have brain damage?

Has a medical professional said this or confirmed it?
Old 09-30-2014, 12:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have used nitrous many times over the years and freon when I was in my late teens and thought I was invincible(boy, was I wrong!) So much so that the high was immediately followed by a massive headache which I assume was from all the brain cells dying.

Freon, on the other hand, is extremely dangerous. Again in the folly of my youth, I had a friend that had commandeered a tank from his neighbor that almost killed all of us. Long story short, my friend suddenly blacked out while we were driving and crossed the road before flipping his truck. We ended up in the hospital and only by the Grace of God didn't put anyone else there with us.

I have heard many horror stories about inhalants. A lot of them ended with someone dead.
Old 09-30-2014, 01:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I used to abuse inhalants a lot like huffing gas or butane. I guess everyone knew what I was doing when I went to the store and got 10 cans of butane. The buzz is very short and it can mess up your brain forever so stay away from it.
Old 09-30-2014, 02:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My friend has to take medication every day to stop him from having a seizure because of the inhalants he abused. He'll have to do that for the rest of his life.
Old 09-30-2014, 02:38 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lebroncavs View Post
My friend has to take medication every day to stop him from having a seizure because of the inhalants he abused. He'll have to do that for the rest of his life.
Sorry to hear that. At least he stopped using them, and got help and medical attention.
Old 10-24-2014, 07:30 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Finrod View Post
I have used nitrous many times over the years and freon when I was in my late teens and thought I was invincible(boy, was I wrong!) So much so that the high was immediately followed by a massive headache which I assume was from all the brain cells dying.

Freon, on the other hand, is extremely dangerous. Again in the folly of my youth, I had a friend that had commandeered a tank from his neighbor that almost killed all of us. Long story short, my friend suddenly blacked out while we were driving and crossed the road before flipping his truck. We ended up in the hospital and only by the Grace of God didn't put anyone else there with us.

I have heard many horror stories about inhalants. A lot of them ended with someone dead.
I knew people in highschool who would inhale freon.

I have no idea if they still do it, or not?
Old 10-24-2014, 07:38 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Seems to be a lot of war stories in this thread.
Can we focus on the recovery angle, please?

D
Old 10-25-2014, 06:35 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Seems to be a lot of war stories in this thread.
Can we focus on the recovery angle, please?

D
Thinking about all of the ones who destroyed their lives sniffing this stuff, it seems to be a good time to thank our Higher Power for saving us from the pits of hell.

MM