Notices

Loperamide for Withdrawal - question

Old 06-20-2014, 11:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Loperamide for Withdrawal - question

I have a question about loperamide. Someone on SR told me it could help with withdrawal at about 20 mg. It was like a miracle. Made withdrawal very manageable for me. Cured a lot of the bad stuff. My question is will me using loperamide for 3 days come back to bite me next week? Will my withdrawals come back? I didn't know if it was basically like taking a hydro and doing nothing but delaying withdrawal. Anyone who has used this method before please let me know. Good day to all
Old 06-20-2014, 01:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
FT

No, it is not like taking a hydro. Yes, it is molecularly an opiate, but it does not cause a high and has an extremely low abuse potential, according to the FDA.

Like all drugs, it should be taken only as directed, so don't try to get high by taking it. It won't work.

Loperamide works like an opiate on the intestinal tract by slowing down peristalsis. If you are worried about this, ask your doctor if it is okay.
Old 06-20-2014, 01:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks FT. It's has removed almost all withdrawal symptoms. Only worried it will reset the withdrawals. I doubt it would since it works differently than the hydros I was addicted to. Don't really want to pay a doc to answer that question though.
Old 06-20-2014, 01:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

From what I remember, it helped me some. I didn't take megadoses, though.
Old 06-20-2014, 02:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
FT

Hi Bdrign,

It has not been my experience that it will reset the withdrawals. Despite the commonalities of withdrawal symptoms, we are all different and experience drugs as individual human beings.

Because loperamide is not used in high doses like euphoria-inducing opiates, I would be surprised if you noticed anything different at all, except your gastrointestinal system gets some relief from loperamide, which could return if you tend to have GI problems anyway.

I agree, I would not pay a doctor for this answer, and your doctor may not even know how to answer it anyway. I have found pharmacists a really good resource for asking questions about drug effects and side effects, even though they are quick to tell you that their answer does not constitute or substitute for medical advice.
Old 06-20-2014, 10:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have used it but I only took 1 a day - I believe they are in 2mg pills? I luckily don't have bad horrid withdrawals but that small amount helped with stomach issues - can't stand that
Old 06-27-2014, 03:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

For me it stopped most of the withdrawals (at the large 20mg dose like you said) and nothing seemed to rebound back when I stopped the loperamide - I took 20mg three times over two days and that was it I was done.
Old 06-28-2014, 12:15 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Mamahawk

Hi Bdrig . How's it going? Feeling OK?
Old 07-01-2014, 12:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Feeling good. Sorry been busy and I've found staying off here helps cravings. Maybe that's backwards. Just try not to think about it but I still do a LOT. Hope everyone is doing well. Fighting PAWS now