Notices

Hen House Talk- All are Welcome, Part 55

Old 05-02-2014, 09:06 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  

I have an awesome story from my childhood about a tiger snake. Seeing it would have been my mum's birthday in 2 days, I am going to share this in her honour.

We had a holiday house (well I half grew up there) in a place called Phillip Island. An amazing blend of country and beach. Koalas in our trees, cows in the paddock across the road, kookaburras and yes, loads of snakes.

My dad used to go back to work in Melbourne and leave us all with mum on weekdays in summer. Well I was 4, older sister 8, and little sister still a bubs. The house was still being finished, and the walls weren't totally sealed. We were watching TV, and my older sister wanted to turn up the volume. Mum said no, it would wake up little sis, just move closer she said. So we did. And as soon as those chairs were moved, something on the floor in front of us suddenly presented itself. It was a HUGE tiger snake. (Deadly).

My older sister screamed, my mum threw the baby in her arms, told us to get out of the house and go get Mr Tetley. (neighbour) I ran across the yard screaming "Mr Tetley, Mr Tetley" and he ran out of his house. No questions, he knew something was really wrong.

As I chased him back into our house, we saw mum, with a broom (handle) smashing the crapolla out of that snake. Mr Tetley moved her aside, and picked up one very dead snake and took it outside. Mum almost fainted at that point. Especially when he told her it was a very poisonous snake. That little 5 foot 1 inch lady was a very big hero that day.

Mothers will do anything to save their kids huh?

RIP mum; I miss you. ♥

V xx
Old 05-02-2014, 09:06 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

Just finished cleaning Jethro's bathroom and vacuuming it along with the bedroom floor! Jethro would be a true Bachelor the way he lets those two rooms go! ARGH! I want to deplete stuff in his closet so bad it's driving me nuts. But I don't want to deal with his rath either! As for the dinosaur TV in the bedroom? I've tried way too many times to get him to move it out of there. I keep a bruise on my upper arms from ramming into the large dresser sitting in front of my bedroom door in the hallway. I want to put it where the TV is sitting! I've got to give this some hard thinking on how to solve this problem.

I might be able to clean an area in his closet and if the TV and stand will fit thru the door? I'll move it into his closet in that corner. The corner I'm talking about has clothes in it that he wore when he was about 6 sizes if not more smaller! LOL

TOD
Old 05-02-2014, 09:08 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

Oh Venus! That was a wonderful story! Thanks for that! And yes Mum! RIP!

TOD
Old 05-02-2014, 09:10 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

I loved that story venus
Old 05-03-2014, 12:20 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

Well I learned something new this early morning! I was on the phone with FTD Florist ordering mom flowers for Mother's Day! After it was all done and paid for she asked me if I was a member of U S A A since I'm retired Army? I told her I was and she said I get an additional 25% discount on my order! YAY!

The walls this evening are being pounded from the bass that the speakers are cranking out down the street at the park. There is a benefit function going on all weekend. Martha Mae is in here growling and Marvin is crowing his butt off outside!

TOD
Old 05-03-2014, 12:26 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

Happy Birthday TB!!

:day

TOD
Old 05-03-2014, 12:55 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Is it TB's birthday? And Jay's soon....I don't know when.
I would love to know when everyone's birthdays are.

Thank you TOD for telling us....

TB love!!! ♥♥♥

V xx
Old 05-03-2014, 01:12 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  
Dopeless Hope Fiend

Hey guys!
Sure that you heard that I got my SSDI? Boy what a load off!! I truly can't BELIEVE I MADE it through the last 6 months! Theres always a new bottom out there should I decide to use again!! I mean if being on the streets homeless in January doesn't wake a gal up ..what will ...Ahhh well tis all part of the experience of my life..a rich tapestry woven through with years of mayhem which I pray are behind me!!..

Sooo...I am almost positive that I will be moving downtown this Monday of Tuesday. Its a teeny efficiency but the VIEW is SPECTACULAR!!! I have lived many places and NEVER had a view of the mountain range like I do from this third floor spot!!! It has two huge picture windows...just one small room with a bed and table..kitchenette..SHARED bathrooms and showers..BUT the price is right..Beats a park bench (as my mom used to say)

So I am really freaking out about something and could use some feedback..So one of the rooms at the building I am moving into has BEDBUGS and they were exterminating..It is epidemic up here the whole nasty situation. I actually have never experienced a bed bug despite the rather unsavory situations I have been in...So if there is bedbugs in one room there..doesn't that mean they are everywhere? I am trippin..theres a bed already in the room..its covered with some material cover? I just don't trust it and will loose my cool should I become bedbugged ..!! Any tips would be appreciated...
I am lying upstairs with my window open...sun just setting..at midnite !
I looked down and there was a mosquitoe the size of a canary sucking blood from my foot!! Im used to mosquitos but this one was freakishly large. I feel like I have been struck by some pestilence(sp?) Starting to feel a bit like Job...that guy in the bible that experienced hard times ( to put it bluntly)
Still doing meetings every day and got a small gig facilitating a class at a re-entry center. 50 bucks a hour. Start that in another week. only 2 hours a week but I like doing it.

we sure got some interesting women here at the house! One little gals a just coming out from doing time for a armed robbery ...a bank! She made it back to her house and they got her. Bless her heart. Desperate people do desperate things. But it is time for me to move from here..I don't want to be in a house full of women on house arrest ya know??

Hey I will be around here this weekend. Going to get my things packed up and enjoy the internet while I got it...I will have to go to the coffee shop when I move but its not far at all...
I hope I am not crashing the thread here ...not being very interactive with ya'all..Ill get back around here..You really do need something to liven it up here!! leg shavin, toilet shinin?? Real ladies take some risks! For gods sake do something dangerous while you still can! LOL..I tease!!

love you soooo much
thanks for letting me always be myself here!
norty
Old 05-03-2014, 02:27 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

Hello Ms Norty!

So happy to read such happiness coming across the board from you! There are all sorts of one room places in town people rent here. Lots of people are doing the down sizing thing. Not because they have to, but because they want to! So enjoy your new home and that view you have! And thank goodness you are getting the hell out of that house! I worried about you being there!

As for bed bugs? We were given a couch, loveseat and bed that had them. The furniture was only one year old and in great condition. We brought them home to the back porch. Mixed up a sprayer full of 30% Permethrin and sprayed them down. We left them on the porch to dry. Anything that had been living before getting sprayed? Were dead dead dead afterwards! We took the shopvac and did a good vacuuming on the furniture. Ran a wet/soapy cloth over it and brought them in. Haven't had NO problems with bugs in the last six years from the furniture either. Permethrin is some wicked stuff. We use it a lot around here. That's my solution to bugs of any kind!

The mosquitos here aren't very large, but they damned sure are in TX! And they are some blood suckers from hell. Had to put up with them for two weeks while camping out in the woods with the Army!

About us ladies here needing some excitement in our lives! Girl friend? How fast you forget I spent 23 years in the Army! I'm enjoying the heck out of my laid back time now. LOL I also do a walk around the dark yard in the wee morning hours checking things out.

TOD
Old 05-03-2014, 02:31 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post
Is it TB's birthday? And Jay's soon....I don't know when.
I would love to know when everyone's birthdays are.

Thank you TOD for telling us....

TB love!!! ♥♥♥

V xx
Venus! I received a text from TB teasing me about getting the flowers for his BD! He said it was today! I didn't know either!

My BD's easy to remember! I'm a Leap Year Baby! The day comes every four years.

TOD
Old 05-03-2014, 02:57 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Happy Birthday (((TB)))) I hope you can do a little something special for yourself today!

(((Venus)))) thank you for sharing your story about your Mom. She loved you all fiercely, no doubt. I know you are missing her, with her birthday and mommas day coming up soon.

(((Norty))) so glad things are better now! I hope it continues to improve and that the bedbugs don't bite! (the old saying, Goodnight, and don't let the bedbugs bite). I don't know much about them, except I would dread to have them, as it is hard to get rid of them. ask what they have done, perhaps, to get rid of them? do research, I am always grateful for the internet

hope everyone has a great day, and that (((Jay))) will share the secret of when his birthday is~

love and hugs,
chicory
Old 05-03-2014, 03:06 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

I know nothing about bedbugs norty love, but I am really happy for you.
Leaps and bounds girl!
Can't wait to hear more from you.

And thank you TOD love; I know when yours is, and chic and Amy....but that's about it. ♥

V xx
Old 05-03-2014, 03:48 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

Chicory! Great Avatar you have there!

TOD
Old 05-03-2014, 04:35 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  
Clever Yak

Happy birthday ((TB))!!

Congrats on your SSDI approval ((Norty))! Good to see you here.

((Venus)) - I don't know why exactly but your snake story reminded me of the time I picked up a garter snake in the "yard" when I was little. When they want to get away from predators they secrete this liquid that smells TERRIBLE. It's called musk and it's disgusting. Anyway, it musked all over me. It got all over my hands and my clothes . The entire yard smelled. I was not happy. Neither was the snake, obviously.
Old 05-03-2014, 05:42 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Translation: I finished a novel and took a nap.

Happy Birthday, TB!!!

So great to hear from you, Norty and with plans already in place. Traveling for work I have often lived in efficiencies or motel rooms w/and without kitchenette, never minded it a bit and never had a magnificent view either. So super congratulations! That security will be ever so good for you! I hope you will be able to put your personal touch in it so that you smile each time you walk in your door.
Perhaps talk to the landlord about having an exterminator in your suite?
How nice to have a coffee shop nearby.

Damn, it is chilly here this am. Am going to go snuggle on the couch and finish another novel, won't take long then I hope I get some housework done around here. I have been keeping up with the shiny sinks and the bathroom.

Venus, yikes! and your story brings to mind a similar one from my childhood. Will share that story later.

hugs to all!

T
Old 05-03-2014, 07:57 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  
The truth shall set you free

Thank you all for the well wishes.

I never thought I would make it this far not alone to be 59. Hopefully I still have a few more years in me. I guess my scars are symbols of my strength.

I leave you with today's JFT.

May 03, 2014

Sharing our gratitude

Page 129

"My gratitude speaks when I care and when I share with others"

The longer we stay clean, the more we experience feelings of gratitude for our recovery. These feelings of gratitude aren't limited to particular gifts like new friends or the ability to be employed. More frequently, they arise from the overall sense of joy we feel in our new lives. These feelings are enhanced by our certainty of the course our lives would have taken if it weren't for the miracle we've experienced in Narcotics Anonymous.

These feelings are so all-encompassing, so wondrous, and sometimes so overwhelming that we often can't find words for them. We sometimes openly weep with happiness while sharing in a meeting, yet we grope for words to express what we are feeling. We want so badly to convey to newcomers the gratitude we feel, but it seems that our language lacks the superlatives to describe it.

When we share with tears in our eyes, when we choke up and can't talk at all-these are the times when our gratitude speaks most clearly. We share our gratitude directly from our hearts; with their hearts, others hear and understand. Our gratitude speaks eloquently, though our words may not.

Just for Today: My gratitude has a voice of its own; when it speaks, the heart understands. Today, I will share my gratitude with others, whether I can find the words or not.

Hugs and love to all my friends.
TB
Old 05-03-2014, 09:10 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

happy birthday, darling TB! You are a shining light for us! A real bacon of strings! remember that?

good to see you dear norty!

I don't have much, just grinding out another worK trip. 10 days total. Four down, six to go. I may have to go into panicked negotiations to get a specific day off to see a dear friend off on his retirement!

I'm going to take advice from Live and examine my eyelids for holes as well!

much love!

Lenina
Old 05-03-2014, 10:44 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Happy Birthday TB!! I'll scout around, later to find Jay's birthday. I know I had most people on my wall calendar but can't remember if I kept the darned thing. Will check tomorrow while at dad's.

Venus - love that story! Mrs. C has told how her mom protected her from a rabid dog and she's killed several snakes.

Walked the steps a while ago, but am going to do a few sets at a time instead of trying all at once. The only thing that was sore, yesterday, was the ankle that's been bothering me but was fine after the OTC med.

Mots and Tiger are doing better. Need to pay bills then see what I feel like doing.

Oh, Jay - love to hear you feeling like a responsible adult. You have been for a long time, but actually FEELING it is pretty amazing.

Love to all!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 05-03-2014, 11:34 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

It's hard to whine when it's 75 degrees and gorgeous, but I will

Cody has been standing at his food bucket for about 2 hours with a pasture full of grass. He doesn't eat until 4 or 5! Sam and Tiger are also wanting their canned food with a dab of tuna. Haven't seen Mots but he and Tiger sniffed noses then walked into the kitchen, side by side, so that's another step in the right direction. Mots has been waking me up for treats at 4a.m. I put a pillow over my head and told him to hush!!

He needs to go on a diet, read an article and it gave recipes? Do they not know if I try to cook it, it will be blackened? Exercise is not his thing so will have to find a toy he'll actually play with. He totally ignored the laser. Maybe Lauren can figure out something low fat for Mots. I doubt he would eat the cookies she makes Miley.

I'm taking a chill out day, since I'm working at dad's after church tomorrow. Will get to see BB for dinner

I did read all the posts, but this would grow into quite the novel if I address everyone. Will do better next time.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 05-03-2014, 03:30 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

Good Afternoon Hen House!

Sat down out here at my computer and when I looked out the window! I see my good looking husband working on his car! YAY! It's a toaster out there too. He's got the box fan blowing air his way because it's 85 degrees.

I'm watching fact or fiction on the weather channel. It's the do's and don'ts when there are tornados in the area! Pretty darned interesting!

My right shoulder is talking dirty to me. After all the work I did yesterday and then sleeping on it wrong? Ouch! Sure hope Jethro doesn't ask me to help with the heavy gas tank he's wrangling underneath his car. Been there before and it's a chore!

TOD