Notices

Decided to quit smoking pot today...

Old 04-15-2014, 08:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Decided to quit smoking pot today...

I have abstained from alcohol for almost 3 years, however for the last year I started smoking pot. I really enjoyed it - is that bad to say... but I notice the effects on my brain, my thinking, my memory - I don't want to live addicted to smoking pot and I'm sick of the effects it has on my body. I feel it's the right thing to do and I have wanted to kick it before - have burned my stash twice - only to get more two days later. I really, really want to end my addiction. Everyone at my work smokes and talks about it (one coworker is my supplier!), so it's gonna be so hard.
I smashed my pipe, burned it along with every single thing, pill bottles I had some in, bag I carried it in... burned everything. Have no funds to purchase more either and plan to tell my coworker that I am quitting. I have told 4 people I am quitting and asked for support.
Want to get a support here as well, I love to read these forums and when I quit drinking, I felt supported and empathized with.
So... here goes.
Old 04-15-2014, 08:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I quit when I wanted a very good job but knew I would be drug tested. When you have something you really want more, in my experience, it made it easy. I didn't struggle with withdrawal or any of that. It was just a decision I made and kept.
Maybe raise the bar on your goals and see if it isn't well worth it.
Old 04-15-2014, 08:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sounds like a great decision dirtbikegirl - welcoem to SR

D
Old 04-15-2014, 09:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good for you. I smoked for a long time and it definitely messed with my brain. Sober now and it feels good. Smashing my bong and talking to my family helped me take it seriously. Good luck from a fellow Oregonian!
-Ted
Old 04-15-2014, 09:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
hopping for freedom

Good for you! I quit 40 something days ago so I can totally relate. It was really hard but honestly I am so grateful I stuck through those hard days/weeks. Everyone here told me it was worth it and I can say that after questioning that statement many times, I have come to see it's true. I feel so much better! Any support I can give I'll give gladly.
Old 04-15-2014, 09:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congrats on your decision! I recently quit myself and just made it to my 17th day of no smoking pot! You will find tons of support here...I've personally learned so much about marijuana addiction through these forums...it's a much tougher thing to quit than many people think, but as the other posters have said, totally possible and totally worth it
Old 04-16-2014, 05:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You Can Do It ! Toughest days are the first week. Make a few plans of how you will deal with the cravings when they come because they will come and IF you're prepared , they won't catch you off guard. I distracted myself in anyway possible-coming here and reading, going for a walk, looking at other things on the internet or TV, etc. Have your alternative options in mind. Stay away from pot-smoking friends for the first month I think would really help. Being around them smoking will make it almost impossible not to cave in at some point. Just tell them you some space for a few weeks. Be strong, it's worth it !
Old 04-16-2014, 02:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone SO much! Today is day one completely smoke free for me. I told my coworkers and stood firm on my decision and asked them to support me on it. I do keep pretty busy anyway with full time job, went back to college, almost done with my first year already. I am trying to think of things to do when I usually smoke, like now! So I loaded sober recovery on my phone.
I feel super good, wrote all kinds of affirmations and taped them around my place, including one on my bathroom mirror in dry erase pen. Helps living alone to be able to do that everywhere. I can do this! I'm a rock star! Lol. Huge grin for all the great support, you guys rock!
Old 04-16-2014, 03:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

WackyBunny, I read your posts before I posted mine last night. I think it is awesome that you have 40 days! Can't wait myself...
Old 04-16-2014, 03:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

MrsBee congrats on 17 days too!
Old 04-16-2014, 09:48 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
hopping for freedom

How's it going? Make it through the evening ok? Not sure what time it is there. First few evenings were particularly difficult but I spent a lot of time here as you have probably seen. Wishing you a good night/day!
Old 04-22-2014, 03:07 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I made it not only through the night / weekend, etc. BUT this is my 6th day and I feel amazing!!! No temptation, no obsessive thinking, nothing but feelings of empowerment thus far. I felt great telling my co-workers that I made the decision to not smoke anymore... It's incredible how great I feel not having to hide the scent, have my little stash purse with me at all times... feel like I need to get high over the smallest tragedy or mood swing, and the anxiety the pot used to cause me - gone. Just so many things I feel ultra blessed with. Wow. I didn't know how good I'd feel. HUGE GRIN!!!~!!
Old 04-22-2014, 03:56 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

That's SO awesome to hear , Dirtbikegirl !!! I'm really proud of you and already experiencing the benefits is so nice, hey ! It only gets better - enjoy your new-found freedom ! Keep posting how you're doing as time goes on.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:16 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
hopping for freedom

I'm so glad to hear it too! Yay! Well done. Strange how we smoked it to deal with anxiety yet it was creating most of it...
Old 04-23-2014, 09:51 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Go, Dirtbikegirl, go! Tomorrow will be two weeks for me. I think it's getting easier. I have too much time in now to go back. I've heard that it gets better as your system cleans out. I've been drinking lots of cranberry juice and water. We'll all get this done!