Notices

Please help me. I don't know what to do

Old 04-13-2014, 03:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Please help me. I don't know what to do

I have been letting my friends stay here on and off for the past 5 months. They only stay when they watch my dog. They don't pay rent or anything but they do however get mail here every now and then. I came home early today after deciding to not go on my trip. I returned to the house, found in guest bedroom drawer where they were staying, and just found about 6 spoons, 3 needles, and some kind of pills next to it, ... looked like some kind of animal tranquilizer from a vet. I want to call the cops but not sure if they will let my landlord know that it was found (I rent in South Carolina), I'm just worried that the landlord will evict us since its on my property . I just didn't know if someone could help me figure out the best way to handle something so serious. I didn't know they had any drug problems until now otherwise they definitely wouldn't be allowed to stay overnight at my house so much...
Old 04-13-2014, 03:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Wow, that must have been a shock finding that stuff! My main concern is for your safety. Are they still at your house? If I were you, I would NOT confront them. Getting between an addict and their drugs can be very dangerous. Depending on how bad the addiction, an addict will view their DOC as you would air or water....necessary for their survival.

Can you just tell them you do not need them right now? Then you can think in a calmer environment about the next step you'll take.
Old 04-13-2014, 06:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

They are still at my house and my problem now is they are not leaving. I didn't mention the drugs to them but apparently they have had heroin problems in the past. I said I decided to not go on my trip and that they can leave... they are now acting confused ... saying that they live here. So I'm not sure how to go about this. When I calmly asked them to leave they just started yelling. I've also started to notice stuff missing. I guess to pay for their habit.
Old 04-13-2014, 07:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think you need to get them out personally. Frankly, I would call the police and have them Quietly remove them - you're in a dangerous situation and leaving them in your home is even more dangerous - just my opinion. Explain and discuss a plan with the police
Old 04-13-2014, 07:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Is it best to call the police when they are here ? Or when they are out? I'm assuming probably better when they are here . It makes me sick. I heard them chopping up pills or something this morning. I am just waiting for my husband to get home today because I don't want to do this alone.
Old 04-13-2014, 07:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm worried about you Hun! Is there a neighbor's house you can go to? If so, please go there and call the police. This is a potentially dangerous situation. If they are high and confused and yelling at you, they could become violent. Your safety is paramount! Leave the home and call 911! Do not go back to the home until the police arrive.

When the police arrive be sure to tell them what you found and the items that are missing. Ask the police if there are any forms you need to fill out to file an order of protection. Then please change your locks.

Stay safe!
Old 04-13-2014, 07:49 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Whoops we were posting at the same time. Please DO NOT tell them that you know and DO NOT call the police in front of them. Please leave the home. When people are getting high anything can happen. Chances are that they won't....but you never know. Is your husband coming home soon? Also, tell him not to confront them or call the police in front of them. Desperate people do desperate things. If they know they are about to be arrested they could lash out at you! I'm telling you....drugs to an addict are like air and water....they think they NEED it to survive! They will do ANYTHING to keep using.

Be careful and please get out of there!
Old 04-13-2014, 08:02 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

great advice - don't tell them anything, get out, go to a neighbors, phone police, change locks
Old 04-13-2014, 08:09 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Agree with police and getting them out. Also a restraining order not allowing them around you would be a good idea. Try to act normal around them until you can get this done. If they are stealing and not leaving they are in very deep to this addiction.
Old 04-13-2014, 08:25 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Scary!! Totally agree with others go to a neighbors, for a drive, just somewhere and call the police! So sorry you have to go through this.
Old 04-13-2014, 09:37 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Do you have any firearms in your household? If so, are they locked up / hidden? Also, do the others living with you know that you do or do not have any firearms? If you do own them I would make sure that they are inaccessible to them before calling the police (unless doing so would cause a confrontation).

How long have they been living there? Depending on your state laws they MAY have a right to continue staying there if they have lived there for a certain period of time. I was in a similar situation in NYC, and the police officer informed me that he could not legally evict a drug crazed roommate because he had been living there for a certain period of time (30 days - I think). The officer said that my roommate probably didn't know that and there was no point in either of us telling him that. When the officer got to the apartment my roommate went irate. I don't think the officer appreciated that tone of voice, and my roommate was quickly face planted on the street. Of course, NYC has among the most, if not the most, liberal laws in the US when it comes to tenants rights.

Does your landlord know that they have been staying there? You could take a look at your lease, but I would be surprised if it didn't forbid allowing others to live in the residence without prior landlord approval. I am not sure if you live in a rural or urban area, but do you think that the landlord isn't going to find out if the police remove these people? The police may reach out to the landlord anyway to inform him/her about the incident.

Unless you think that there is no way that the landlord is going to find out about this, I would suggest thinking about coming clean to him/her. You may have a chance of keeping the place if you come in hat in hand explaining the situation and apologizing for it. If you don't tell the landlord and he gets a call from the police department reporting illegal activity on his property I think you are going to have a tougher time getting leniency.
Old 04-13-2014, 09:59 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

My plan is to go to the neighbors and call the cops. I've been living here for 6 months. I live in SC and I did sign a lease stating that I can not sublet and it also says that if someone is staying here over 15 consecutive days that I have to let the landlord know. But they haven't been living here. They dont pay to live here or anything...I pay them to petsit and house sit. They stay in the guest bedroom when they are here to petsit/housesit.They only get some mail here sometimes because they don't have a p.o box and they can't get mail where they live now. I was only trying to help them out , not knowing of course they were on drugs. Now with them being all crazy saying that they live here and they did bring clothes and stuff since I was going to be gone for 14 days...This is such a horrible situation.
Old 04-13-2014, 11:35 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Ok, take care and give us an update ok?
Old 04-13-2014, 11:41 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I will give you an update for sure. Thanks for everyones help. I really really appreciate it
Old 04-13-2014, 11:51 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

The sad thing is once they establish residency from what I understand
you can not evict them with out prior notice.

Personally I wouldn't call the cops on them but if they threaten you or
make a big deal about leaving then I would.
Old 04-13-2014, 11:56 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

How would they have established residency if they have their address they live In now on their license and don't have any connections to my house other than a couple of mailed items. Most of which were sent back because they don't live here. They only have some clothes and apparently their drugs in my guest bedroom where they were suppose to be staying for about 15 days in order to watch my dog while I was away.
Old 04-13-2014, 12:04 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

In Florida where I live , unwanted guests must be evicted in order to remove them from the premises.
Moving their property out and changing the locks, is not a viable alternative as you can be then be the
subject of legal proceedings.

This is the eviction process in my county. Go to the Clerk of Court for the paperwork and pay filing fee
with proper identification. Ask for all papers necessary to evict ( 3-day notice, compliant & summons)

Call the Clerk of Circuit Court in your area. They will give you the legal answer to your question and the
whole process.

I would go the legal route.

Last edited by deeker; 04-13-2014 at 12:08 PM. Reason: add
Old 04-13-2014, 12:23 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

In most states if they are not on the lease they have to be living there for a period of time before being considered a tenant (even if they are not paying rent). It differs by state, but most are 30 days. Since they have been living there on and off your best bet is to ask the police when you call to find out. Be Safe!!!
Old 04-13-2014, 12:30 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
painless

Please know this is only my opinion and its what i would do... For your safety I would not call the police on them if their your friends. You dont want any harmful future retribution especially from junkies that dont care enough to respect your home. Just sever all ties to them from here on out. Even if you call the police theres really nothing their going to be able to do and you dont want the apartment complex to see several police cars talking to you in front of where you live. just my opinion... good luck...
Old 04-13-2014, 02:48 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

How do I sever ties from them if they won't leave. And if they do leave I don't want them to get angry and try to plant something on me or something. They weren't that great of friends. It was a couple who I was just trying to help by having them housesit/petsit. Since I was going to be gone I obviously gave them a copy of the key. They have served prison and jail time for the same thing heroine possession and something else. So I'm sure if I called the cops said that they brought it in my house and that I want them and it removed ... could they not legally do something.? By the way they have been acting recently I'm scared for my life