Notices

Randy Blythe of Lamb of God

Old 04-11-2014, 11:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Randy Blythe of Lamb of God

"For me, drinking started out as fun. I talk to a lot of people who no longer drink, and a lot of them say from the beginning it was straight to-the-races craziness. For me, when we signed to a major label it got particularly bad because all of a sudden I didn’t have to work a regular job, and I didn’t know what to do. We all worked straight jobs for a long time, real jobs. When I got some money for the first time, I just went crazy, drinking.In a while, I was in a really good place when I got sober. I was doing OK financially, my career was OK because I’d learned to control my drinking enough to not screw up on stage. But I was coming home, sobering up, and then going back on tour and getting wasted. I was on tour in Australia in 2010, and I was like, “is this the way it’s going to be forever?” I talked to some friends who were no longer drinking, who had drinking problems in the past, and I got sober. It’ll be three years in a little bit.For me, as a creative person, drinking and opiate-based pain pills–I used those back in the day to some effect–they unlocked a certain part of my consciousness. But then that stopped working, and for years it was me drinking and eating pills, sitting in my shed listening to Black Sabbath and pretending to write lyrics. Justifying it.The anger and hate will eat you alive if you sit in it. I definitely think that there’s a place for that punk rock anger. There’s a lot of screwed up stuff in the world, and people should speak against it. But, for me, when I was A) growing up, and B) drinking, it was all consuming, I couldn’t do really anything about it. I couldn’t perform any effective action towards change besides writing screamy records.When I sobered up, photography became great. Right now I’m writing a memoir of my last year. That never would have happened had I been drunk. I never would have made it through my trial in one piece had i been drunk. Sobriety has enabled me to do things."

I love the band and only recently learned of Randy's fight with alcohol and drugs. He has been sober for three years. During that time, he chose to fight a manslaughter charge in the Czech republic when a fan died. Most people would have blown it off and never returned there for trial. Randy did and was acquitted all while staying clean. Here is a quote from an interview. I love the last sentence.
Old 04-11-2014, 11:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Very Cool. Great Band! Lots of rockers who managed to sober up which amazes me considering the lifestyle they lead. Jonathan Davis from Korn sober since 98, Anthony Kiedis sober since 2000, James Hetfield 2001. The list goes on. Probably not as long as the list of rockers who have OD'd or are still deep in it, but it does make me smile to read the success stories.
Old 04-11-2014, 12:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Great stuff!

Actually James Hetfield from Metallica was a major role in my life, first as one of the people that understood my pain through music and lyrics and later in the film Some Kind of Monster he showed me that you can be out of the hole you dug.

I actually watched the film twice before entering counseling and some of the ways he defended himself from what scared him, like the entity that had become Metallica. Essentially same as me he was codependent and would hurt himself and deny himself to make it go...I know the feeling all too well.

It is also funny that he uses the phrase "straight to the races" as I term my anxiety and my rage born of codependency and abandonment as being "off to the races" lol.
Old 04-11-2014, 12:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Very Cool. Great Band! Lots of rockers who managed to sober up which amazes me considering the lifestyle they lead. Jonathan Davis from Korn sober since 98, Anthony Kiedis sober since 2000, James Hetfield 2001. The list goes on. Probably not as long as the list of rockers who have OD'd or are still deep in it, but it does make me smile to read the success stories.
Surprised about Jonathan Davis' date as that is pretty close to the start of their career...good for him. Especially with the producer they have used multiple times (forgot name)...apparently the man really tries to get the artists to remember and focus on the pain in the music which in Davis' case considering I listened to almost every record could easily lead to a relapse.
Old 04-24-2015, 07:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I know this is an old thread, but reviving it for you TE! So I can say HAPPY FRIDAY!!!

Old 04-24-2015, 07:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

This article is a few years old, but interesting views from Jonathan Davis. I relate to the Anxiety and Addiction issues for sure.

Korn?s Jonathan Davis on Addiction, Head?s Return, and Lessons from the Satanic Bible | SPIN
Old 04-24-2015, 09:30 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Dats it mane!!!
Old 05-03-2015, 09:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Deftonesgirl40

Wow, I really enjoyed reading that article from Jonathan Davis. Korn has and always will be one of my favorite all time bands. Saw them in concert once in like 2007 on the Family Values Tour. Thanks for sharing that.
Old 10-05-2015, 07:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Where You BEEN Tired? Randy says BLACKEN THE CURSED SUN!!!!

Old 10-06-2015, 04:30 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Miss you TE!
Old 12-08-2015, 08:54 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Alright TIRED! No posts for 6 months? Come on DUDE! Where is the LOVE? We miss you! Every now and again as I get my daily dose of Lamb of God (yes I am still a bit of a maniac) I think where the HECK is Tired? They are touring with Pantera and I will be at the Aragon Brawlroom January 30th in Chicago getting down. Sobriety doesn't mean you are suddenly NORMAL. Nope - I am sober and a lot more sane, but the screw is still a bit loose.

So check in DUDE. This song may scare some okay MOST people, but I do relate it to addiction. Good STUFF!!!