Notices

Dang it!!

Old 01-01-2014, 10:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Dang it!!

Had a super bad anxiety attack wake me up. And I'm out of Xanax! I have 3 Valium but I'm scared to take one since I took the Xanax like 4 hours ago!! Not asking for Medical advise on the Meds just saying what's going on. Anyone else up?
Old 01-01-2014, 10:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't know if you've ever tried breathing for anxiety Cleinfwb but I think it's worth a shot
concentrating on your breathing can really help

Breathing Exercises

D
Old 01-01-2014, 11:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I don't know if you've ever tried breathing for anxiety Cleinfwb but I think it's worth a shot concentrating on your breathing can really help Breathing Exercises D
The attack is gone now just wide awake. I had a feeling tonight was not going to be fun.
Old 01-01-2014, 11:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Try and get as much rest as you can - even if you just lie there, reading, or just lying there with your eyes shut.

I hope tomorrow will be better,

D
Old 01-02-2014, 06:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yep. I used to have a debilitating fear of flying. One of the most helpful techniques was sitting up straight. Taking a nice slow deep breath through the nose using your abdomen to draw the air in. Then counting to three and exhaling slowly, repeat. After about 60 seconds the attack would abate. Hard to do in the moment sometimes, but it works.
Old 01-02-2014, 06:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mkintexas View Post
Yep. I used to have a debilitating fear of flying. One of the most helpful techniques was sitting up straight. Taking a nice slow deep breath through the nose using your abdomen to draw the air in. Then counting to three and exhaling slowly, repeat. After about 60 seconds the attack would abate. Hard to do in the moment sometimes, but it works.
I hate flying a refuse to do it!!! I took some Melatonin and that helped last night. Slept till about 7.
Old 01-02-2014, 06:40 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi clein! I'm glad you're feeling better. I know what you mean about the panic attacks! I use to have them quite a bit....especially while withdrawaling. I'm glad you got past it. I use deep breathing as well as mindfulness to get through them. I know that part of my addiction to pills was self-medicating. I thought that I needed a pill to cure whatever ails me. I would take a pill to sleep, take one for energy, take one for panic or anxiety, take one to be happy, take on for indigestion....on and on... i realized it's important to break that habit and try to let actions help instead. For sleep I now take a warm bath before bed. I turn on a fan. Dim the lights in the house an hour before bedtime....etc...For increase of energy I exercise and eat healthier.

Hope you feel better!

Use the Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT) - wikiHow)

Mindfulness Exercises For Everyday Life
Old 01-02-2014, 07:19 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by cleaninLI View Post
Hi clein! I'm glad you're feeling better. I know what you mean about the panic attacks! I use to have them quite a bit....especially while withdrawaling. I'm glad you got past it. I use deep breathing as well as mindfulness to get through them. I know that part of my addiction to pills was self-medicating. I thought that I needed a pill to cure whatever ails me. I would take a pill to sleep, take one for energy, take one for panic or anxiety, take one to be happy, take on for indigestion....on and on... i realized it's important to break that habit and try to let actions help instead. For sleep I now take a warm bath before bed. I turn on a fan. Dim the lights in the house an hour before bedtime....etc...For increase of energy I exercise and eat healthier. Hope you feel better! Use the Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT) - wikiHow) Mindfulness Exercises For Everyday Life
Very true!! I have been looking up natural remedies for anxiety. I felt ok this morning but I'm feeling pretty rough again right now. I'm not planning taking anymore pills after tonight. Just need to get past day 3. So far it feels worse than 2. But maybe I will feel better later.
Old 01-02-2014, 07:20 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cleinfwb View Post
I hate flying a refuse to do it!!! I took some Melatonin and that helped last night. Slept till about 7.
I used to not even be able to walk in an airport without sweating. Since 2000 I have flown over half a million miles and amassed over a million frequent flyer miles. I USED to think that dragon was the worst and overcoming it was the victory of my life. It was nothing compared to the opiate dragon.
Old 01-02-2014, 07:32 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

That is possible. Day three for me was always the worst day. One thing to know is that you might have a bad day here and there. Especially mentally. I would feel real good after a week or so then....bam....I'd wake-up feeling anxious and panicky, have more cravings....then later in the day feel better again. That can happen for a few months. Are you familiar with PAWS?

We did a real number on our brain. So it's going to take awhile for our brain to heal. Don't let those "bad" days discourage you. Overall, the longer you stay clean the better you will feel.
Old 01-02-2014, 07:52 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

That is possible. Day three for me was always the worst day. One thing to know is that you might have a bad day here and there. Especially mentally. I would feel real good after a week or so then....bam....I'd wake-up feeling anxious and panicky, have more cravings....then later in the day feel better again. That can happen for a few months. Are you familiar with PAWS? We did a real number on our brain. So it's going to take awhile for our brain to heal. Don't let those "bad" days discourage you. Overall, the longer you stay clean the better you will feel.
I have always had a little anxiety. But never took anything for it. I had 10 years then this 4 month binge. The only paws I know of is the animal rescue here in town lol.
Old 01-02-2014, 07:58 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Lol this is a link that was posted on this forum awhile back. It might help you to understand why you might feel a certain way. This does not mean that everyone suffers through paws. I should say we probably have some symtoms but they vary from person to person. It helps me to know that I might get some of these symtoms and that it's nothing to be afraid of...just a part of recovery.

Why We Don’t Get Better Immediately: Post-acute Withdrawal Syndrome (PAWS) | What...Me Sober?
Old 01-02-2014, 08:18 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I know what you mean about the anxiety. I had it throughout my life. It's only been about 2 years that I took med for it. My doctor prescribed me Xanax, celexa, and ambien to sleep. I will be honest and tell you that I abused the Xanax and ambien. I would run out of my script early. Go in to the doctor 7 days early to get my refill script. I'm sure that had everything to do with my horrible panic attacks when I ran out. Flooding my brain with oxy and Vicodin didn't help either. Now I'm off everything but sub and tapering off of that. I can only imagine when I'm off the sub completely my panic attacks will return with a vengeance. That's why I'm trying to work on natural ways, now, so that I'm not back to step one.
Old 01-02-2014, 08:27 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Lol this is a link that was posted on this forum awhile back. It might help you to understand why you might feel a certain way. This does not mean that everyone suffers through paws. I should say we probably have some symtoms but they vary from person to person. It helps me to know that I might get some of these symtoms and that it's nothing to be afraid of...just a part of recovery. Why We Don’t Get Better Immediately: Post-acute Withdrawal Syndrome (PAWS) | What...Me Sober?
Do you think I did a lot of damage in the 4 months of use. Or do you think I stopped In time?
Old 01-02-2014, 08:29 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

One more thing. I don't know how much you know about benzos (Xanax, Valium..) but those cause lots of withdrawal symptoms too. Not so much physical like oppiate WD, but lots of mental stuff. If you've been on a benzo for any length of time be careful detoxing. Apparently, some here have said its more dangerous than oppiate withdrawal. Those should be tapered and not stopped suddenly. There are lots of threads about benzo WD in this forum and also in the anxiety forum. Read through them so that you are prepared for those as well. If your doctor can write you a script and work with you on a slow taper that's probably the best way.
Old 01-02-2014, 08:36 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

One more thing. I don't know how much you know about benzos (Xanax, Valium..) but those cause lots of withdrawal symptoms too. Not so much physical like oppiate WD, but lots of mental stuff. If you've been on a benzo for any length of time be careful detoxing. Apparently, some here have said its more dangerous than oppiate withdrawal. Those should be tapered and not stopped suddenly. There are lots of threads about benzo WD in this forum and also in the anxiety forum. Read through them so that you are prepared for those as well. If your doctor can write you a script and work with you on a slow taper that's probably the best way.
I took 1 .5 Xanax the first night then 3 during the day one in the middle of the night one yesterday morning and one last night. I took 1/2 of a 5 Valium today and have 2 1/2 5 valiums left. Do you think that is enough to withdrawal from. I was not taking them before this detox. Don't really like them. Make me to tired.
Old 01-02-2014, 08:36 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

My opinion, just from my own experience is that four months isn't very long. You should have minimal if any symptoms of PAWS. Even if you do have some...for example...brain fog or a little short term memory loss...maybe a little moodiness...those are nothing you can't handle, right? Another thing is they don't last forever and they fluctuate. Some days you might feel irritable the next day feel fine. Another day you might have trouble balancing your check book because of concentration. Next day you can do your taxes. Lol It's like that. Trust me you don't need to worry. The info is there so that you can work with your symptoms and know that you haven't gone crazy. You know what I mean?

To me paws is a little like PMS if you know what I mean!
Old 01-02-2014, 08:39 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

No that is not enough to WD from! I thought you were on it for a while! Don't worry! You will be fine!

Withdrawal happens when you take a med for a few months regularly. That's not regular at all. That's a very short time!
Old 01-02-2014, 08:42 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

No that is not enough to WD from! I thought you were on it for a while! Don't worry! You will be fine! Withdrawal happens when you take a med for a few months regularly. That's not regular at all. That's a very short!
Oh GOOD i was starting to freak out!!!! Thank you for all your support through my detox!!
Old 01-02-2014, 08:48 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

SORRY I thought you were prescribed it for anxiety. I misunderstood! You will be fine!