Notices

How long does it take to get addicted?

Old 06-15-2004, 12:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Goddess in the making

How long does it take to get addicted?

My boyfriend uses oxycontin (sp?), percodan, cocaine and has mentioned crystal meth. He doesn't use every day (although he was using the percs and esctacy daily for awhile). I don't live with him anymore, and have no idea how often he uses or how much, but I would guess at least once a week he uses at least one of them above.

I am wondering how long it takes for an addiction to form to these drugs, or at least a tolerance. He was really heavy with E for a while, constantly snorting it and going on 3-4 day binges. He doesn't use it anymore - but is always using something. He did use the percs a lot before too, and experienced withdrawal symptoms when he cut down (or, more aptly, replaced them with E).

He went camping this weekend and mentioned that he might get meth to bring along with him (I do not go camping with him, for obvious reasons. Actually, I don't do much with him as I won't be around the drugs) He said that most ecstacy has meth in it anyway, so it's no big deal. I am thinking that meth use is the deal breaker for me - isn't that highly addictive? Can one become hooked on it after only one use?

Just the fact that he is open to using it at all (not to mention the other crap he uses) makes me wonder what on earth I am doing with him. I think I have been asleep for the past few years. He used to be dead against drugs. Now he has this huge abuse problem, and it's not getting any better (she finally admits this to herself, with a sigh)

Thanks everyone - this forum is a huge help.
Old 06-15-2004, 01:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey Wayward...

IMHO... If your B/F isn't full-blown addicted yet... he's probably well on his way.

Addiction is multi faceted. Not only can one become physically addicted to the substance... but... the devotion to a certain habit or the notion that one cannot face life without the buffering effects of a substance can also be an addiction.

Meth to me is like heroin. It has a life destroying grip.

I think I have been asleep for the past few years.
LOL...Sleeping Beauty...

.. and your Prince Charming was busy in the mean time. ; )

I don't know if your familiar with Nar-anon... but... it can help alot...

Good luck..
Old 06-15-2004, 02:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Goddess in the making

Hi Wench,

I have been to al-anon, when he was drinking...he stopped that and moved on to bigger and better things The group I went to had a christian bent which didn't suit me. I think I would benefit from nar-anon, not to deal with his problems but to help me over the ones I thought I already was over!

He does buffer, and can't cope with stressors (so he thinks) without snorting, smoking, popping or drinking something. There were signs of this early on in our relationship, but the abuse didn't get into full swing until about 3 years ago. Prior to that, he would have never touched any hard drugs and in fact looked down on those who did. He went from being very rigid to being totally out of control - threw all his morals out the window, he claims.

My Prince Charming turned into a toad! One of those Amazonian ones you can lick...

So what is the deal with meth...it's like speed?
Old 06-15-2004, 03:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey Wayward..

I have no experience using Meth.. .. although I did speed by the bagful...and coke.. and mda... but the meth addicts I have seen in this day and age are "the walking dead" if you ask me.

I hope your B/F comes to his senses before he is sucked down that hellhole....

Toads... One of those Amazonian ones you can lick...

Really? You'd want to?? ; )
Old 03-15-2009, 09:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
JBrookes

I have done meth in the past and meth is the most destructive drug you can do as far as physical damage to your body in the long run because it is made entirely of chemicals and no two batches of meth are the same so you never know what was used to make it, example is someone who is twenty five and uses meth heavily will start to look like they are forty... The addiction is more mental though and the withdraws consist of lots of sleep nothing physical.. I am a recovering heroin addict and have dabbled in every drug there is I have a problem copeing with tragedy and problems so I drown the feelings out.. But with meth if an intervention is not performed soon enough it will cause irreversable physical damage to the body.. All the other drugs can be delt with and wont leave a permanate mark on your physical appearance... I wish you the best with dealing with that and I hope something I said was helpful..
Old 03-15-2009, 10:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Wink

Originally Posted by bikewench View Post
Hey Wayward..

I have no experience using Meth.. .. although I did speed by the bagful...and coke.. and mda... but the meth addicts I have seen in this day and age are "the walking dead" if you ask me.

I hope your B/F comes to his senses before he is sucked down that hellhole....

Really? You'd want to?? ; )
you did bags of speed but no experience with meth?

Meth is speed.

mind you.........this stuff is the supercharged stuff of old.
Old 03-16-2009, 03:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

(Psst... another bumped up thread)

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 03-16-2009, 05:41 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

wayward
If he's suffering from withdrawls when stopping the pills.....he's already addicted.
Old 03-16-2009, 06:05 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Now with fewer opiates!

Campers...check Sugah's post...this is five years old. Odds are the OP is long gone...