Notices

recoveredcrackhead- It Takes A Lifetime

Old 11-05-2013, 05:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Not again

recoveredcrackhead- It Takes A Lifetime

Goodness, one never knows which way life is going to take us.

I just spent a month in jail and my whole life has been turned upside down.
I was in college studying "Recreation & Leisure" to augment my degree in "Chemical Dependancy Counseling". It was the most fun I have ever had in school.
I also made the mistake of being in a relationship with a woman I met in rehab 4yrs ago. MK is the most amazing, beautiful woman I have ever known. She is also an active addict and alcoholic with mental health issues and I love her with all my heart, but.....
Last spring I invited a friend of a friend to live in the biulding I was in. Mk and I found the perfect set of apartments in a newly purchased biulding, and they needed some work. Dave the friend of a friend had the tools and needed an apartment closer to the school. It seemed perfect...It seemed....
By summer Dave had broken up with his girlfriend and mother of his son, Ezekial. With Sarah out of the picture he was free to start doing more and harder drugs, which eventualy became crack. I was not pleased with this turn of events and let him know. Unfortunately MK found it interesting and took advantage of the situation.
By the end of August Dave was approved for SSI/D and received his back pay of $15,000.00. Welll......things really took off, the traffic and noise was non-stop and MK became a permanent fixture in his place. I was fit to be tied.I gave them one last warning before I was going to call the police (I had already contacted Dave's parents) that was the morning of Oct.2
When I got home that day I was arrested for harressment and "acting in a manner injurous to child" (what the hell) These allegations were/are of course false, but in the great state of NY domestic violence is nothing to play with. Once the statement is made, someone is going to jail. And then the accused must prove their innocence. Kinda backwards from what I thought our justice system was all about.
Well my eldest daughter is battling cancer and under went a double-mas surgery the week after I was arrested. My youngest is getting married in January. Trail would have taken six months to a year and I was informed that with a felony on my record and being a recovered drug addict that I would never convince 12 jurors of my innocence. So I accepted the offer and plead giulty.
I avoided being violated by probation (six months left of a 5 year stint) and have since received a hand written signed statement from MK stating she lied.
I must address the task of having the conviction recalled (it is possible) but I do not have the money that would afford justice.
I am not in school, will be homeless any minute and may never get a job with this record of mine. But I have improved upon my conscience contact.
By which I mean I know God has something for me to do. Funny the way giudance comes in a way we can't refuse. I am sitting in McDonalds, drinking coffee, I have $40 in my pocket (been there since last thursday) and absolutely no thought of using.
Life ain't a bowl of cherries, but then again neither am I. Some consequences we can't anticipated, but those situations out of which they arise can be avioded. Hence they say no relationships in early recovery. Hard lesson. Please heed this warning.

May the Grace of God be upon you.
Regards,
Larry
Old 11-05-2013, 10:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Larry, thanks for explaining how you ended up in jail. I'm really sorry for the turn of events but I hope you are able to look at the relationship with MK in a different perspective.

I'm not saying you don't love her, I'm not saying everything is all because of her. I am saying that I'm much more aware of the people I hang around with. Even if I'm not doing anything illegal, if they are and I'm around, there's a chance I could get dragged in and I'm not willing to worsen my record for anyone.

Lots of love, hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 11-05-2013, 11:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm glad to hear you are not considering using Larry. As you know, violating your parole/probation would not help your situation at all. Your recovery is the best thing going for you right now - don't forget that.

Have you considered looking for an attorney that does pro bono work? I have heard of organizations that focus on righting injustices such as yours for free. Reestablishing your good name should be a priority.

It takes a very narcissistic person to take advantage of strict domestic violence laws to achieve their own ends without regard to the consequences faced by the falsely accused. And yes, in these cases the system basically works in reverse with guilt presumed until innocence is proven. It really is a catch-22 because the system saves many lives that would otherwise be lost to abuse but cases such as yours seem to be a growing trend.

Keep your head held high and focus on achievable short-term goals in the near future. Stay sober, secure a place to stay, work on eliminating resentment toward MK for her actions, and find a job that will overlook your conviction for now if possible. You can do this. SR is here to help.

Thoughts and prayers.
Old 11-05-2013, 11:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
CastAwayWolf

Have you considered filing charges against MK for lying to the police and maybe the courts? Sounds like a little jail time would be right up her alley...that's justice.
Old 11-06-2013, 03:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Not again

Thank you all for your support,

I am now, 75%, in a new apartment. This morning I go to court to have the "Order of protection" re-instated. It was vacated so I could move out of the other biulding. MK and David will be coming to retract their statement. Atleast that was the plan as of last night. Things change quickly in their world (in mine too unfortunately). I shall be looking into legal aid. I was informed I could have the conviction reversed for $3,500.00, but being a recent college student without a job I can't afforded.
As for MK and David, the thought of revenge is not one I can consider. I am obliged to "turn the other cheek" and offer prayers for their well being. It's not easy, but we must begin somewhere.
Courts at 9am, I am in the new apartment with wi-fi access, I shall be back.

Be Well,
Larry
Old 11-06-2013, 03:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry all that happened Larry but I'm glad you're getting through it.

D
Old 11-07-2013, 06:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Not again

Good Morning,

Woke in the new place. Court did not go well, The order of protection is in place for one year. MK can return next week and have it lifted, but by then I am sure she will be busy "chasing the dream". The public defender told me I can pursue having the verdict changed, but it would have to be done at his convienence. Which I took as meaning it won't happen.
In the mean time I am focusing on life, recovery and conscious contact. So much to do and my A.D.D. is peaking.

Someone's at the door
Be well
Larry
Old 11-12-2013, 07:08 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Not again

Well atleast God loves me. I know this because my eldest, my indicator of how I am doing, invited me to her home. They bought it about a year ago and this was the first time I had been there. It's nice, in a qiuet suburb with good schools. She has a wonderful view from her living room of a small field and a patch of woods. My grand-daughter is talking, alot, but she is a bit shy around me. I will endevour to change that.
Now I must get my self-invited to my youngest' home. Which would just be icing on the cake being that she invited me to her wedding.

In the recovery life..... I have officially withdrawn from school, but hope to return in the spring. My home group has gone through some changes/growth. We are actively trying to "recruit" the new-comers into service work. It's a sad state of affairs. We ARE a new-comers meeting, as we draw from 2 half-way houses. It's a mixed blessing that one of them is for females. Although their attendence encourages the males to attend also, we have had some problems with inappropriate activity in other parts of the church.
So hopefully service work will keep them from wandering .
I am also actively engaged with two other groups/agencies. The first is Lifequest a sober activities meeting place. It is primarialy attended by musicians, as it affords them a place to jam. We also have a social room with ping-pong, Wi/playstation (IDK, I'm old)
and foos-ball. The second group is still in the formation stage, O.C.Lifeworks. Loosely based on recovery coaching, we shall try to help people in the areas of life rehabs don't take the time to address.
I am going to need to find some income and I am hoping to get involved with one of the 3/4 houses, perhaps just as an over-night monitor. That would allow me to do homework while the clients are sleeping
Now I need to get a schedule, I have not been working out or eating well. And I am truely off my Din.
More prayer, less talk I suppose.

Be Well
Larry
Old 11-14-2013, 04:24 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Not again

Going to the college to talk to a counselor about returning in the spring. I haven't done much else and it is not good. I have made an appointment with mental health. It's not all that (or I could be wrong) I just know I lack self-discipline and perform better with structure. I love to work and will work hard and long happily. I hate looking for work and will procrastinate until it's too late.

My daughter starts chemo today. I am hoping to see her,to show my support and concern. This will of course mean I will see her mother. We don't talk...ever. I asked for her phone number a while back and was told she didn't want to talk to me. Makes me wonder, we didn't have "closure", never made peace and I know I still...love...think about...her. She was my best friend and high school sweetheart.
Anyway, I think I will offer that on chemo days, I will ride my bike to my daughters (10 miles) and drive her (her car) to and from the hospital. Generally that would really not be of any concern, but I live in upstate NY and winter is peeking through the heavens. I have also commited to shaving my head when she losess her hair. She'll understand and appretiate the gesture, as I have, for all intents and purposes, not cut my hair since I got out of the military, trims excepted.

Back to direction and purpose....It takes a lifetime.
(and I am of the mind that wisdom is not free but earned.)
Anyway an interesting book is, "Conversations with God", by Neale Donald Walsch. The youtube version is a little less....effective.(read the book/pdf first) Anyway I signed up for messages. Today's is....

"On this day of your life, Larry, I believe God wants you to know...
...that Life is conspiring in your favor.
It may not always look that way, but it is, I assure you.
Everything that is happening, is happening just the way
it must, in order for you to have the opportunity to
create the experience of your Self for which you yearn.
The idea behind all of this is to give you a chance to
become and to know, at the highest level, Who You
Really Are. This is God Work we are up to, you and I.
So keep on."

Thank You Mr.Walsch
I would like to surround myself with such people as he. It's inspiring.

Time to do something with my life, hope you make the best of yours.

Be Well,
Larry
Old 11-14-2013, 01:21 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Larry - so glad that you are reaching out for help, still doing the next right thing. Hugs and prayers to you and your daughter.

Amy
Old 11-15-2013, 02:16 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Not again

The scroll marked #1
"Today I begin a new life.
Today I shed my old skin, which hath, too long, suffered the bruises of failure and the wounds of mediocrity.
Today I am born anew and my birthplace is a vineyard where there is fruit for all.
Today I will pluck grapes of wisdom from the tallest and fullest vines in the
vineyard, for these were planted by the wisest of my profession who have come before me, generation upon generation.
Today I will savor the taste of grapes from these vines and verily I will swallow the seed of success buried in each and new life will sprout within me.
The career I have chosen is laden with opportunity yet it is fraught with heartbreak and despair and the bodies of those who have failed, were they piled one atop another, would cast its shadow down upon all the pyramids of the earth.
Yet I will not fail, as the others, for in my hands I now hold the charts, which will guide me through perilous waters to shores, which only yesterday seemed but a dream."

Og Mandino, The Greatest Salesman in the World

Be Well,
Larry
Old 11-15-2013, 02:31 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I like that, Larry

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 11-18-2013, 10:11 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Not again

"Failure will no longer by my payment for my struggle. Just as nature made no
provision for my body to tolerate pain neither has it made any provision for my life
to suffer failure. Failure, like pain, is alien to my life. In the past I accepted it as I
accepted pain. Now I reject it and I am prepared for wisdom and principles which
will guide me out of the shadows into the sunlight of wealth, position, and happiness
far beyond my most extravagant dreams until even the golden apples in the Garden
of Hesperides will seem no more than my just reward." Og Mandino

Well in reality I have been given foodstamps, this is good, I was hungry. Cleaning up from the community garage sale today. So much to do, so little mind. I have some quarters for laundry and some friends to talk too. So over all a good day. Hope yours is too.

Be well,
Larry
Old 11-19-2013, 03:57 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Not again

I try and try again.... there is no failure except in the qiuting.
Woke up at 6am, coffee and a smoke, then went for a jog/run/walk. Yes I said I smoked a cigarette and then went jogging. So? Who needs it most but us smokers? Besides it's nice to talk with God first thing in the morning when the rest of the world lies sleeping.

Now it's off to the Rescue Mission for breakfast and Devotion. It's 32 degrees here in Upstate NY, so earmuffs will be needed. Fortunately I went shopping with my sister last Saturday and bought a pair. Paid $20 for them. A much better investment than crack. And then I found last years in my winter clothes bin. God does have a sense of humor. I also found 12 pairs of gloves, I'm thinking that should get me through the winter.

I have begun the process of re-applying for public assistance/welfare so that I may continue with school. I already have the food stamps. Yesterday I bought Summer squach, blueberries, rasberries, bananas, whole wheat bread, bran muffins and milk. I am not the man I used to be and that's a good thing. But today i must continue the process for the assistance and go through a drug and alcohol assesment (wish me luck lol).
Later I shall be bringing a beautiful lady to Lifequest a sober activities group (wish me luck lol). Just kidding, no not really Arghhhh. Is it really another addiction?
Big Book Study tonight, my favorite type of meeting. What's yours?

Be Well,
LArry
Old 11-19-2013, 05:53 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Larry, I am so very proud of you. thanks for the inspiration!

Love from Lenina
Old 11-19-2013, 06:58 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Larry - I, too, am so very proud of you. I have faith that you will get what you need.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 11-22-2013, 05:07 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Not again

So it seems I shall have great difficulty in clearing my record of the recent events. I spoke with a lawyer yesterday and was informed it was the last day of the 30 day window. I ran down to the public defenders office and as usual he brushed me off saying he would file the papers today, day 31. I shall assume it will be refused and will continue the search for yet another course of action. Meanwhile the pair of accusers (MK & Dave) continue to smoke crack, he by way of her ill-gotten means. I really am having trouble moving on from this.
So i continue to try to help others, it really is amazing how it helps me get out of myself. God, time and determination are my allies in this fight.

Be Well,
Larry
Old 11-22-2013, 02:03 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Not again

Ran into a person deep in the throws of a crack bender, we've talked in meetings before. I tried to offer encouraging words, but in the end I must let things take their course. Funnier still was when he mentioned how much money he just got out of the ATM the thought of joining him crossed mind. I mean my life has become a pile a rubbish away. HA, not, I wished him luck and rode like the wind. I don't know why it hit me like that. A little while later while contemplating the events I thought "God forbid...me to smoke crack". I think that's my new motto.
Any way did some more leg work, phone calls and questioning. My hypothesis as to the course of events on the fatal morning of Oct. 2 seems to be proving correct. Now if I could just get his phone records.

Well I have been asked to chair another meeting. This recoveredcrackhead is extremely involved with Alcholics Anonymous and I like it.

Be Well,
Larry
Old 11-23-2013, 06:48 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Not again

Good Morning,

Listening to Wayne Dyer, "What's your calling". Ishall go for a walk and then a meeting. I am also suppose to go to some ones house around noon and hook up a computer. This came about because yesterday I ate lunch at the soup kitchen. While signing in another guest asked if I was going to the new meeting, Overcomers Anonymous. Well I'm a curious person so I went. The leader is an older black woman who is a pastor/minister intent on starting her own church. So being the newcomer I was asked about my current problems. So I told them of my recent ordeal. Then she inqiured about my goals/plans. So I told her about the "recovery farm", my dream. She has a similar one. She also knows someone who also is interested in the same thing. Supposedly that person has the capital to get it started. And now I get the God feeling of approval. I'm excited.

Be Well,
Larry
Old 11-23-2013, 09:18 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Good for you, Larry!!!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy