Notices

Im back! Day 7 and feeling great!!

Old 08-22-2013, 10:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Im back! Day 7 and feeling great!!

Sorry guys! I haven't really been on in a while, I have been ridiculously busy volunteering and trying to keep my mind off things! Its now day 7 for me and im soooo happy to be sober I cant even express it in words lol my higher power has been guiding me in the right directions lately and things are starting to work out nicely! I have an assessment at my treatment center on Tuesday to help get me into an in-patient program. Im a little nervous because we will have to make a pretty big case for it since I didn't start in out-patient but I have confidence that it'll work! (:

Although im feeling really good about this, there's some thing im still struggling with

1. Because ive tried to stay sober so many times and relapse so many times, a lot of people are not taking me serious. Which I get but im just trying to show people that this time im 100% real and im not trying to waste time lol

2. My best friend not trusting me. I've lied to her so many times in the past trying to avoid hurting her with the truth when what I was actually doing was hurting her more. I dont blame her though, I wouldnt trust me either but its causing her to not share things with me and im worried that shes never going to trust me again and its going to drive a wedge in our friendship

3. In the past when i was sober i would occasionally joke about using, not thinking anything of it because i make jokes about my problems but now i have to hold myself back from making jokes because i want people to take me more seriously about this.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats Electric E

I think you need to give people time - what seems like an eternity to us is really only...well, a week to every one else.

We know, or hope, we've changed, but others can only go on precedent.

I made a lot of promises I broke when I was drinking.

I needed to stop talking and show people, by staying sober, that I meant business.

It'll take a little time for everyone else to get onboard, but yr real friends will

D
Old 08-22-2013, 10:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you Dee! Im really trying, im just so impatient about this, I want everything to work out NOW! I've been giving my friend more time to herself/not bugging her so much like I used to and im being above and beyond honest with her. Like i said though, i just want everything to fall back in place!
Old 08-22-2013, 10:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

LOL yeah one of the greatest things I learned in recovery was patience

Things will work out, in time.

D
Old 08-22-2013, 10:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good luck! And take yourself seriously about this, others will follow I've been in the same boat, so I learned to stop saying anything about it and just DO IT !
Old 08-23-2013, 05:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Patience is not one of our strongest points as a rule. I think we are all too used to feeling better in 20 minutes or less.
Old 08-23-2013, 08:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congratulations! 7 days is awesome!

Have you thought about trying an outpatient setting first like an IOP? Or maybe a substance abuse therapist along with some type of support group like NA or another kind? Since you are past the initial detox it could be a lot cheaper and still allow you to work through your recovery.

I wish you the best!
Old 08-23-2013, 09:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yes, I have to agree with fancy on that one! Usually, best to try one of those approaches first then if all else fails inpatient would be a last resort. At least while you are waiting for admission, you would have that extra support.
Old 08-23-2013, 07:46 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Leo- thank you! I'll have to try this approach. Im just used to being the "good kid" so its annoying that im having to prove myself to people

TiredEnough- 20 minutes would be great, hell I'd even take 20 hours or 20 days. Just not knowing when everything will be ok bugs me

Fancy- thank you!I have never done outpatient but I have done drug counseling and the meetings. The main reason why im doing in-patient is so I can get out of my environment and far away lol and still gain the skills I'll need

cleanin- hey! Thank you! Yeah, its pretty much the same thing i told fancy, i cannot be in my environment and try to gain the skills i need to stay sober
Old 08-28-2013, 10:34 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Leo17 View Post
Good luck! And take yourself seriously about this, others will follow I've been in the same boat, so I learned to stop saying anything about it and just DO IT !
That is what I would like to do this time. I feel schizoid as I commit myself to being sober and then suddenly I'm drinking again. I'm going to do the next right thing today and even though my husband will be drinking and will most likely think I will as we do every night I am going to try to replace it with a nice nonalcoholic cocktail.....
Old 08-28-2013, 07:47 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yeah I totally get what you're saying! One minute you're super committed to being sober and the next you look over and you have a drink in your hand! Its frustrating. But I wish you good luck (: just go to meetings, talk to a counselor and you'll be doing great. Also what helps me is I think about the worst time I've ever had using and then I remember how much I dont want to be like that again. I have faith that you'll do great! And hopefully your husband will see how awesome sobriety is and he will follow in your footsteps! Again, I wish you the best of luck (:
Old 08-29-2013, 05:43 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks so much for your encouraging words! I feel SO good this morning and i would like to feel this way each morning. Thanks again. One day, one hour, sometimes one minute at a time!!! Thank goodness for this site. It's a great way to be accountable, connect and get inspiration and support so thanks for believing in me as I do in you. Have an awesome day!