Notices

day 4 with severe depression

Old 08-07-2013, 02:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

day 4 with severe depression

Day 4 since cold turkey and I am experiencing severe depression mainly in the morning. My body has finally released me from the WD's but my mind is still very sick. Does anyone know how long these feelings are going to last?
Old 08-07-2013, 02:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sorry your feeling so depressed. It does get better. What are you WD from? Have you heard of paws? I'll send you a link.

Why We Don’t Get Better Immediately: Post-acute Withdrawal Syndrome (PAWS) | What...Me Sober?
Old 08-07-2013, 03:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by neoconagenda View Post
Day 4 since cold turkey and I am experiencing severe depression mainly in the morning. My body has finally released me from the WD's but my mind is still very sick. Does anyone know how long these feelings are going to last?
Oh yea. Main reason I relapsed. I swung so rapidly from feeling hope to feeling Despair. There is an explainable chemical Reason. It will take time and it will pass. This is just part of the process. We just have to consciously tell ourselves that the world really isn't that bad. We have to remind ourselves that our brain forgot how to make our own endorphins. Our brain will remember and will start again. Our responsibility as addicts Is to give our brains the chance. Our brains stood by us while we beat the poop out of it. Don't we now owe it a chance?
Old 08-07-2013, 03:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Neoconagenda, day 4 with severe depression? You are FANTASTIC. Congratulations. In September I'll be 2 years no cocaine and it took a lot longer than 4 days before the cravings began to weaken and now I hardly have them at all. It will take some time, however, it has been worth it to me. Rootin for ya.
Old 08-07-2013, 03:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am recovering from pain meds, what was a surprise to me was that the addiction set in over a short time... I have in the past kicked cocaine a couple of times, but those episodes were more like a binge than chronic abuse. I took the meds as prescribed and when it was time to stop I found that I was addicted. This morning was terrible, I was drowning under the weight of the world briefly coming up for a moment of clarity then right back down to wanting to die (not literally)... Now I am doing better but who knows how I will feel in the morning. I tried to locate a noon NA meeting (would be a first for me) but when I got there I found that they were no longer holding them. SETANA needs to update their meeting schedule I guess. My only form of talking to others that know my issues has been this site. My family has been great but nothing mattered this morning, I was just breathing...
Old 08-07-2013, 03:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Depression will take its course.
Lots of it (including suicidal ideation) made me realise that it would eventually pass.
Knowing this is a help in itself.
Prescribed anti depression meds might help, along with counselling.
Old 08-07-2013, 05:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I agree with the above and if you can work in some light exercise that seemed to help me a lot. If you understand it is chemical and it will pass it is easier to pull yourself out of it. If you find yourself dwelling on something bad or have using thoughts try to stop the thoughts in their tracks and replace them with something positive like how great it is you are getting off the meds. Hang in there.
Old 08-07-2013, 05:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
kab

hi im kab I was told I had depression for years I was taking medication for it and all it did is make me more depressed and angry!! remember this was my problem,,it didn't work for me,,,you may get help for it ,,ask your doctor If you can try other medications,,or see another doctor to see if you have another problem,,,im no doctor so get your advice from doctors ,,ask questions ask anything ,don't be afraid to ask,,write your questions down on paper so you don't forget
Old 08-07-2013, 05:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by neoconagenda View Post
Repeat this! "I will get through this!" "This too shall pass!"

Exercise helps. Jog. Stir up your circulation! Jumping jacks!

You might not be able to imagine it, but in a month, you're going to feel SO healthy. Emotionally, I'm not making any promises as recovery is tough, but you are guaranteed a world of better health. Clarity is certainly a promise Just hang in there and be easy on yourself
Old 08-11-2013, 06:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Dopeless Hope Fiend

My depression seems to last about 2 weeks. Hang in there! I know we count the minutes at this early stage, but it will pass before you know it. I'm on Effexor and it has helped a little.

Do things that make you smile/laugh. Look at old pictures. Watch your favorite funny movie. IF you have the energy...get outside and try to take pleasure in simple things. Try to be grateful for the good things in your life. Go for a drive (my fav). You can get through this!!!