Notices

Ugh.

Old 08-06-2013, 08:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
BFD
Slowly, but surely, making it!

Ugh.

I'm so antsy today. I feel like I'm "off". I've had a migraine since 4am. I would love to fix this, but even my prescription headache pills are barbiturates. Excedrine isn't doing anything. Any advice?
Old 08-06-2013, 08:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have migraines too. I used to have panic attacks, which made them worse. Since you are feeling antsy, I believe you might find help with "urge surfing". This is a method of relaxing thru the pain and anxiety. I don't have panic attacks anymore. Mostly because of long-term sobriety, but also because I am able to use the urge surfing when I begin to feel anxious. I suggest you give it a try. Best wishes.
Old 08-06-2013, 08:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

BFD,
Sorry, I don't have any good advice. Haven't had to deal with headaches too much in my life. Just wanted to say hi to you and sorry you are in so much pain. I know it is frustrating, not being able to grab that pill anymore. I hope you can find some relief soon.

Take care and hang in there.

Amy
Old 08-06-2013, 10:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

When I've had migraines in the past. The only OTC that would help a little would be ibuprofen. I hope it gets better for you soon.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
BFD
Slowly, but surely, making it!

Urge Surfing?

Originally Posted by pinkdog View Post
I have migraines too. I used to have panic attacks, which made them worse. Since you are feeling antsy, I believe you might find help with "urge surfing". This is a method of relaxing thru the pain and anxiety. I don't have panic attacks anymore. Mostly because of long-term sobriety, but also because I am able to use the urge surfing when I begin to feel anxious. I suggest you give it a try. Best wishes.
What is urge surfing? I've never heard of it. Thank you all for your support. Just having you here is amazing. I'd give you all a big group hug if I could.
Old 08-06-2013, 11:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

BFF I will send you a link. I posted it on the challenge thread.
Old 08-06-2013, 11:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Correction I didn't post it win did I suggested it. It is a powerful tool when dealing with cravings.What is Urge Surfing?
Old 08-06-2013, 11:33 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks Amy. We learned this in IOP. It works!
Old 08-06-2013, 12:38 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Your welcome. I would love to take credit for this technique, but I originally read about in one of these forums. I thought it was too. It's true that if you can just ride out the craving it goes away. We don't always have to act on it like we grew accustomed to doing. Did you find your iop beneficial? I'm attending one now and I like it-feel it helps me a lot. So everything's good with you joker?

Bfd how's the headache? Did you a least take a Motrin or something?
Old 08-06-2013, 01:06 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Marcher

Hey, BFD! You are a fellow Marcher! You should go read the class of March 2013 daily support thread. This is really interesting because many of us are going through this same funk right now! We think it's some PAWS symptoms. Urge surfing is great! I've done it too.

Also, I have migraines. I use a non-narcotic RX med, Maxalt. It stops my migraines in about an hour. I add ibuprofen to it, and an ice pack, and a dark quiet room. I used to have the barbituate type that you mentioned, but the Maxalt is so much better and faster. And safer especially for us addicts.
Hope you feel better soon! I'm riding the same wave!