SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Substance Abuse (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/substance-abuse/)
-   -   How to deal with benzo withdrawals (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/substance-abuse/287169-how-deal-benzo-withdrawals.html)

Midlifecrisis 03-11-2013 06:34 PM

Especially headaches?

From last time I detoxed from Valium I remember the headaches were like nothing else I've ever experienced in my life. So much pain and it felt like my brain was literally shaking.

I've lowered my dose since last night and the headaches are already starting. Paracetamol won't touch them and last time i bought codeine containing tablets (which was stupid because I had just given up a a pack a day habit of those too) but even they did nothing :(

Any suggestions??? The only thing that helped last time was getiting drunk and obviously that's not a great idea....

Midlifecrisis 03-11-2013 06:41 PM

It's worrying me because I've only just started reducing and the withdrawals peaked at around 2 weeks when I did it last year :(

pinstripe81 03-12-2013 03:46 PM

Try some exercise such as walks and also try taking a bath and putting epsom salt in the water.

Midlifecrisis 03-13-2013 01:30 AM

Thanks for the reply. I exercise everyday so that will be good. As for the bath, our hot water system burnt out so I will have to wait for it to be replaced but thanks
For the tip. Last time the worst was 2 weeks post giving up completely so hopefully we will have hot water by then!

doggonecarl 03-13-2013 05:35 AM

This can be the last time you ever have to go through this crap. It's all in your hands. Stay strong.

Skidoo 03-13-2013 02:12 PM

Do not drink or if you're in benzo withdrawal. You MUST taper. The head zaps (overstimulation of the CNS) will come and go. Try a little advil if it's a true headache. My withdrawal was MASSIVE and there was no way I could get off them things without being in rehab and getting detoxed. They take your dose way up and decrease it every 3 days for about 16 to 20 days. It takes a long time for your gaba receptors to come back without the drug. You will probably need something else for sleep. They put me on remeron and seroquel towards the end of my detox. Once you get through the withdrawal you will swear off benzos forever. That being said I've taken them a few times when I relapsed, but I will NEVER take them on a daily basis ever again. 3-4 times a month at most.

Skidoo 03-13-2013 02:13 PM

Do NOT exercise if you're in benzo withdrawal. You're heart rate is probably already running high anyway. They forbid it when I was in rehab and said I should not exercise until off of them for 3-4 weeks.

Midlifecrisis 03-13-2013 06:30 PM

Thanks everyone. I did an extremely fast taper laat year, nearly cold turkey and it was the worst thing ever. Swore id never touch them again. Also detoxed off alot of codeine and alcohol and other random opiates around the same time.

And here I am again.

I was just so desperate to get rid of those suicidal episodes I was willing to risk it again knowing full well I would get addicted again.

Exercise has always been a part of my life, huge part but I always watch my hr anyway so I'll keep
An eye on it.

I'm sick of detoxing off drugs. Really want this to be the last time.

AnvilheadII 03-13-2013 06:36 PM

Really want this to be the last time.

then make it so!

bigsombrero 03-13-2013 07:01 PM

Maybe you should remember that quitting alcohol/drugs/meds actually requires you to go through some pain. Do you expect it to be a happy fun ride down a rainbow slide and then you land in a bucket of cotton candy and naked ladies?

Cutting substance abuse out of your life is painful. You should expect pain, and finding ways to cut corners isn't going to do you any good.

That said, always consult with your doctor etc, make sure you're not in danger of having a seizure or stroke and whatnot. Good luck.

Midlifecrisis 03-13-2013 07:07 PM

Wtf! I'm just really scared and wanting to chat about it

bigsombrero 03-13-2013 07:23 PM

I am just saying that because a lot of your posts seem to be like this. You are an addict and continue to abuse and use. Would you prefer we tell you that everything will be okay and you can just keep using?

Sorry, but if you keep using everything WILL NOT be okay. Terrible things await you if you continue down this path. It gets old listening to someone who won't commit. Sometimes tough talk works for people. If this doesn't help, so be it. Good luck.

Midlifecrisis 03-13-2013 07:50 PM

I'm sorry if you don't like the way my posts come across. Maybe I'm just a whinger. I KNOW how hard it is, I've given up too many drugs to count including benzos and a 16 year eating disorder which I fear will return. This post was just asking about what others have done to get through. I've also got shingles and 5 kids to look after. But that's probably just another excuse. It's my reality.

Was just askjbf for advice and I'm not gay so I'm not interested in naked ladies;)

Gawd now embarrassing if you all just think I'm a bloody whinger. Feel like crap, day 2 of rducing and i know the worst is to xome. Outta here.

Midlifecrisis 03-13-2013 09:10 PM

I think I better come back to this forum when I'm cured and have all the answers. I'm in pain and it's only day 2. Thanks to everyone who had some suggestions, I will
Take them
On board.

Dee74 03-13-2013 09:16 PM

I'm not sure what the problem is here to be honest MLC.

I'd rather someone was honest about what they were feeling than being scared to say something because they'll get their head bitten off

Keep telling us how you're feeling - it's what SR is for IMO.

People can choose not to participate in threads if they're feeling frustrated.

straight talking is fine, but a little compassion goes a long way too.

D

Lyoness 03-13-2013 10:23 PM

I agree with what Dee said. And good to remember that when we are just tapering or coming off a drug we feel extra vulnerable and sensitive, so a little extra compassion helps. :)

Midlifecrisis 03-24-2013 04:20 PM

Thanks lyoness. I forgot about this thread. Obviously withdrawal from anything is painful. It was just a simple question on any ideas to help while I do it and try to keep my life together and look after 5 kids at the same time.

I think I'm ready to start doing it for real.