Notices

what to do

Old 03-02-2013, 05:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

what to do

Hello, my 23 yr old son has asked me to help me detox at home. He has been using heroine on and off past year. More on a daily basis past three months.
He wants to come stay with me when he does this. What exactly should I expect. I love my son and will do whatever I can.
Can someone please advise me?
Thanks
J
Old 03-03-2013, 01:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome heneedsme

I'm sorry for your situation.

We can't give you medical advice here, but you might well benefit from the experience of others in this forum who've been there, so I moved your thread to this forum

Prayers for you and your son.
D
Old 03-03-2013, 07:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have been told that to help someone detox at home, that its good to have advil for the aches and pain, some immodium for bouts of diarhea and possibly something link melatonin to help with sleep. Other than that to try and make him as comfortable as possible. If I need others things to assist with this self detox please tell. Any advise or helpful words will help.
Thanks J
Old 03-03-2013, 07:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

i can speak in the position of the son for i am detoxing at my parents for the 3rd time...

what i can say is that when i was on the heroin, i would constantly want to quit... i'd tell myself i'd do whatever it took to quit. i told my parents, moved in, gave up my keys, wallet, and phone...

however once the withdrawals started my mind would play games with me allowing my addiction and disease to fool me into thinking that one more 'hit' or 'fix' would be alright.

this would make me scheme and lie to my parents about needing the car or money to do something and i would lie to them and plot a way to get some more.

if your son is as bad as i was, i would suggest u not listen to anything he says... that might be suspicious.

comfort him with OTC meds such as immodium, melatonin, and multi vitamins. no other medications can alleviate the acute withdrawal stages which can take up to a week for them to pass..

even after the initial acute withdrawals, ur son may experience mental mouth watering cravings... it is his decision to quit. all you can do is support him.

if he hasn't truly committed to quitting, there is no way that u can stop him unless u cage him up somewhere to detox and find him a good support system for after the initial withdrawal period.

once again, this is from my experience; everyone is different.

just telling you what happened to me.

i'm on my third detox right now from a year of heroin/oxy use.

i'm going on day 15... and i still feel lethargic and have cravings.

i'm using what i've learned in the past to cope with these cravings and am willing to do whatever it takes to stay clean this time.

i wish you and ur son the best of luck.

it can be done! God bless~

-sub0
Old 03-03-2013, 02:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you for the info, I greatly appreciate it and hope you accomplish what you've started. I will keep you in my prayers.
J
Old 03-03-2013, 04:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Just want to say good luck to you n your son. You're both in my thoughts n prayers.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:15 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you, for the thoughts and prayers, think we will need them.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I know that trying to detox on your own is a very hard thing to do and you shouldn't listen to your son. I've tried to do that on my own also and never had any success in doing it. Your best bet would be to get him in to a rehab facility.
Old 03-06-2013, 02:00 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I know not to believe him when he wants to go somewhere, but unfortunately he doesn't have health insurance and I'm not in a position to pay for rehab at this time. It would do him good! I'm a mother and will do whatever and everything I can to help my son the best I possibly can.
Thanks for your kind words.
J
Old 03-06-2013, 10:08 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

at home detox...

First, u sound like a GREAT mom.....Now, I do not know how this is going to work, because when u detox through methadone or suboxone, the cravings stop. My concern is when someone is an addict we r very cunning and manipulative. I just am concerned that u may get conned. I am an heroin addict, but clean. That addiction, plays games w/the mind, especially when u are sick. Heroin is sooo addictive, I did sooo many immoral things to get money to stay high. I HOPE the Best for your family. Keep yourself healthy.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:03 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

2) Opiates, painkillers, heroin, methadone - if the addict in question is coming off any of these substances, then they are going to be in a miserable state of being, but they will not be in as much danger as if they were detoxing from alcohol.� Still, you want to help them if you can and so here are the guidelines.� One, encourage them to sleep through as much of it as possible.� Two, you can give them over the counter pain medication to help with their body aches and pains, as directed on the bottle.� Three, you can help keep them hydrated with ice water which helps a bit.� Four, you can give them Benadryl 50 milligrams every 4 hours as needed for anxiety or restlessness, and this might help a tiny bit.� Make sure you do not over do the medications and never exceed what it says on the box.

Ultimately if they are really uncomfortable, then your best choice is always to get them to a drug rehab.� Of course that is not always an option for everyone but it is the ideal solution nonetheless.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:18 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Heneedsme, you are FANTASTIC. Uplifting thread. I hope all goes well, but be very careful, because the behavior of an individual with withdrawals is unpredicatable. Never give him any money, hide all your valuable possessions and jewelry, and never let him use your car. Rootin for the both of ya.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:39 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

i just wanted to add if it weren't for me being locked inside my house for the first part of withdrawals (acute withdrawals) with my relative looking after me 24/7, i would've been a goner by now...

your son is very lucky to have such a supportive mother.

i salute! and again wish the best for you and your son.

it can be done!

-sub0
Old 03-24-2013, 12:25 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

The mind of an addict can be tricky. The week before I finally kicked it I tried to sober up. I made it 2 days, told my husband I was taking a walk and ran upstairs to my dealer and chewed up 2 dilaudas cuz I was in so much pain. I hated myself for that and fell into a funk for a week. I finally did it though, and am happy to celebrate 39 days of being clean now! I wish you both the best of luck,,,,,I would do the same for my kids also,,,but I also know what lurks beneath too. God bless