Notices

Music causing relapse

Old 04-20-2015, 06:04 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I must also say that music defines me. I am a huge music lover. I pride myself on knowing all about the upcoming bands, etc. But, seriously. Just change your style slightly. Classified is also positive hip hop. Tupac is my weakness. I can't listen to Who Do You Love because of some certain ex drug dealing boyfriend. It totally says "Who Do you love? Maybe its the thug in my, maybe its the drug in me". LOL. My made up lyrics.
Old 04-20-2015, 07:45 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Evolving Addict

I agree that one should avoid anything that they believe causes them to use...especially in early recovery. I guess I was fortunate enough to realize early on that my brain was the only "trigger" I had and anything I thought about long enough could be associated with using drugs. Television, radio, movies....you name it...I used for so long that almost everything I was exposed to would cause me to conjure up some euphoric memory about drugs.

Today I can watch or listen to anything. I can watch Scarface, beer commercials or play my old Tupac or Biggie CD's. I don't have to live in a bubble or sheltered away from external influences. Today I have a choice NOT to use.
Old 04-21-2015, 05:39 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
All it takes is one try.

LOL Eminem. Not making that mistake again. I'mma be boo yeah before this discussion goes any further.
Old 04-21-2015, 05:48 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Trudgin

I understand - years back I was wayyy into Da Reggae music mon......to this day I greatly respect Bob Marley on several levels.

While I continued my addiction to several things for years, I just sort of out grew listening to Reggae. However, even today as I occasionally listen to Peter Tosh, Bob Marley, Steel Pulse etc. It takes me quickly to that point of cannabis indulgence. I do not need to be there........

So, I do empathize greatly how music and its draw can be associated with behaviors we are trying to change.

Glad you're here posting - Change is indeed possible!
Old 04-21-2015, 06:52 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I was 18 in 1993 when the hip-hop genre was at its best and I also started using and drinking. But today I can kick back and listen to A Tribe Called Quest's "People's Instinctive Travels" album from start to finish and enjoy it - sober!

I did lots of things while stoned. Swimming, hiking, watching sports, listening to music. Today, doing all of these things and truly getting enjoyment from them while sober is the biggest high yet!
Old 04-21-2015, 05:16 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
All it takes is one try.

No tiredofwaiting, like I had to SERIOUSLY change my style. I used to love Class too. You wouldn't believe how much I cut out. And these guys are good artists too. Like ****, my taste was just straight dope. Now I cut everything out but the occasional radio. I'm too damn determined to **** up again. I just can't take the chance.
If there's a little trigger in a song or a tv show I just straight up turn it off now. If I use one more drug I'm afraid I will kill myself. **** I even smell the fear lol.
I got BAD. Like straight up. I'm so early in my recovery now that I look at an old person and I'm like, you lucky bitch. And I'm not even gonna star it out.
Old 04-23-2015, 12:11 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
All it takes is one try.

I like your name tiredofwaiting. You and me both.
Old 04-23-2015, 04:49 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
All it takes is one try.

(Oops, I probably shouldn't come on here during Opiate withdrawal). Lol.
Old 04-23-2015, 05:32 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

i mentioned emeines last ablum recovey. hes got a few years clean now. i know his stuff before that was pretty bad. as it is with most addicts/ alcoholics.
Old 04-24-2015, 07:55 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
All it takes is one try.

I probably shouldn't even say anything, but his recovery cd was totally ruined after his even newer **** came out. I used to push his music too. One day it finally hit me though, recovery doesn't actually mean recovery. At least when I applied it to my own life.
It's just a recipe for disaster.
And don't worry, I'll take the blame ,
Old 04-24-2015, 09:13 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Ahhh i haven't heard his newer one. to some extent i do agree. His recovery still isnt as clean as id like it. why not get on here during opiate withdrawl? could be worse places lol.
take the blame for what brother?
Old 04-24-2015, 09:18 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

idk nowadays i can pour a drink for my gf or listen to almost anything and not want to use over it. Sometimes i dont care for whats being said or done, then i just take myself out of those situations. My sponsor tells me to keep it simple i try to take that to heart.
Old 04-24-2015, 01:23 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Very good topic, Decemius.

When I got sober, I had to quit listening to most country music and the rock tunes and bands which seemed to glorify alcohol and drugs.

In AA, we say that we go to "any lengths" to get sober.

In my case, I had to give up certain kinds of music and other things near and dear to me, like going to NASCAR races.

After quite a bit of sobriety now though, I listen to whatever music I care to, and I go to a lot of concerts, NASCAR races and baseball, football and basketball games.

It takes a while, I think, for an addicted brain to disabuse itself of certain associations and reactions.

Glad you brought up this topic.
Old 04-24-2015, 03:30 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Decemius View Post
Hi,

I have a question and i am not sure how to go about handling this issue. Before and during my addiction to marijuana i was a big Hip Hop fan. Frequently i could release stress by blasting some good tunes. Hip Hop became part of my personality.

When i was addicted to marijuana i had steady routines, listening to music and mostly Hip Hop while i was smoking and crafting one. Slowly but surely Hip Hop music and marijuana became as one to me.

I quit smoking marijuana twice, first time i succeeded for 8 months, during this time i did not listen to Hip Hop until the final few weeks. I knew it was bad for me. I partially blame the relapse i had to the associations i make between Hip Hop and marijuana.

I remember when i was close to relapsing, the music i listened to reminded me exactly of all those old times, it helped me relapse. After i quit again i swore of the songs i listened to, but nowadays i find myself having trouble just listening to any Hip Hop song/beat.

Something about the music makes me want to relapse, i don't know what it is. And i don't know what to do, Hip Hop was such a big part of my life and it's gone now, will it be forever? I know that drug cravings go on a entire lifetime so i guess so.

What do you think i should do? Personally i think i should find new genres to appreciate for at least a few years until marijuana is but a distant memory.

Thanks
I also have this issue so I feel your pain ... During my life I've always associated certain music with different drugs ... Coke songs, ecstacy songs, pot songs, booze songs ... I haven't done any narcotics in many years, 6-10, but I still get uncomfortable when certain songs come on the radio. I've just recently stopped drinking, 6 days, and I switched the radio station in my car at least twice today because of music that reminded me of drinking
Old 04-24-2015, 03:52 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
AlmA

Decemius

Avoid the hip-hop for a while and start tryng to separate it

I do believe you, I get cravings watching films with alcohol and drugs,
I get anxiety and start panicking.................. and then the head starts goin go on...

So avoid and change tune
With time I will get easier but have to learn how to RIDE THE WAVE!

If it make you unstable Avoid it!!!
Turn it off, go to another place, etc.

Good luck on your recovery
Old 04-24-2015, 04:40 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I love this thread. I love kmk, ayo for yayo, everything named. Love this thread and it is opening my eyes to see others go through this too!
Old 04-25-2015, 03:33 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
All it takes is one try.

Cause I say craazy **** when I'm in withdrawal Damascus lol. Always regret it afterwards. And nvm about that blame thing lol, I wasn't thinking. Kinda helped me clear something up though. Thanks .

I had to stop going to NASCAR races too hehe.

Wow this thread expanded awesomely. Love it.
Old 04-25-2015, 04:49 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
All it takes is one try.

Oh and Damascuz. Yeah he's got even newer stuff. The recovery cd used to be pretty killa.
I wouldn't go past the recovery cd if I had another chance.
I don't like being told what to do myself, and sometimes I can be darn right self-centred .
But if someone told me ahead of time not to listen to the new stuff I would have downright hugged em and thanked em with all my life.
Where am I going with this? Oh I guess it's just basically you'd probably be better off to stick to the old stuff if you actually wanna keep enjoying the recovery cd.
I've seen people in actual hospitals over his new **** and just downright crazy. Not to mention one of the "bigger hits" in there burns out all of your entire music library faster than you can probably imagine.
I've been told by more than just myself that he's sold out.
Damn I wish someone told me all that before though.
When it says "condemned as dangerous and unsafe" it actually means dangerous and unsafe.
Actually I just got out of the hospital over it last year.
There's a joke going around, I think it goes something like the Eminem Armageddon.
You can probably see where my hatred stems from by now.
Let's hope this doesn't get tagged by the Internet police hehe.
Long story.
Old 04-28-2015, 05:51 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

no problem.
its ok i can take suggestions if u say its not good i wont go seeking it out lol.
nascar? i havent been much into that i do like modding cars about to trade mine in for a 2009 370. going to test drive it tommorow.
There nothing wrong with enjoying your life once you have been for a lil while and have the tools to deal with everyday crap.

i definetly had some hospital visits over my drug use and 72 hour psych stents after ods.
thank god im free today and have a choice. if i dont like something i change it or get away.
Old 04-29-2015, 10:22 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

I truly thank God and AA that I don't presently lead the life that many songs portray.

When I hear many songs, I think that I have been there and gotten the tee-shirt, but I am sure glad that what they are singing about is in my rear view mirror.If

Now, if something, like music (or ego) is a trigger for addictive thinking or romance, I just let it be.

The notion of jails, institutions and/or death does not interest me.