Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Drug Addiction > Substance Abuse
Reload this Page >

Is the book "Mindful Recovery" a good non AA book?

Notices

Old 02-05-2013, 05:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I need some good reading recovery material that is non 12 step or AA based. I want to get a different perspective.

Has anyone read it??
Old 02-06-2013, 05:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Location: Caucasian;West Coast; Husband sometimes breathes fire; hence his nickname Dragon & mine Mrs. Dragon
I cant speak to the book from being the one with the addiction; but I have gobbled up books with many philosophies due to my sons drug use. I dont know if it is the same book, but I read one that was called: Mindful Recovery - A spiritual Path to Healing. It was a good book from my perspective.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It's the same book!!

Thank you!!
Old 02-06-2013, 06:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Location: Caucasian;West Coast; Husband sometimes breathes fire; hence his nickname Dragon & mine Mrs. Dragon
Your welcome. Hope it is beneficial to you. Very overwhelming when you go to pick out books because there are so many...
Old 02-06-2013, 08:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Not again

It sounds like a good book, mindfulness is a powerful in any aspect of life. Please share some of the wisdom you find with us.

Also, FYI, there is another section of this forum that is all about reading and other hobbies, but don't forget about us here in substance abuse

Larry
Old 02-06-2013, 08:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Recovered

I have this book and recommend it. I really didn't understand most of it in the beginning, but now that I am more "spiritually aware", the book is a great supplement to my recovery! I hope you enjoy it.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

One of the hardest parts of recovery for me is the spiritual side. Sometimes I'm a believer and sometimes I'm just not.

I think too much and that gets me in trouble all the time=)

I've tried AA and NA. i understand what they're trying to say but i just don't feel very comfortable with it. I'm trying to find something that feels right for me. I need to find a spiritual path that I'm comfortable with.
Old 02-07-2013, 03:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Heathen

I really liked Chris Prentiss' book, The Alcoholism and Addiction Cure (don't be fooled by the title..). He doesn't 'believe in' (or whatever) the words addiction, alcoholism or cure really Made a lot of sense to me.