Notices

oxycodone withdrawal help Part 3

Old 12-19-2012, 08:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Administrator

oxycodone withdrawal help Part 3

The last part of this thread is here.
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/substance-abuse/228350-oxycodone-withdrawal-help-part-2-a.html

a general reminder to everyone:

Please remember guys:
although we welcome people sharing their experiences here, we do have a medical advice rule that we require everyone to abide by -

10. Medical Advice: No Posts giving medical advice, medication advice, or psychiatric advice. Do not use the forum to give or ask for professional medical or psychiatric advice. If you are a medical professional, please remember the forums and chat are for peer support only and not to be used for distributing professional medical advice and/or using the forum to represent your professional services. Medical and Psychiatric advice includes giving a diagnosis, treatment plan, medication advice and dosage suggestions, over the counter and natural home remedies that should be approved by medical professionals. Detox can be dangerous and life threatening at times. Please consult with your physician
I also like to remind you that you guys are subject to the same rules as everyone else is here.

This is a moderated, recovery board - and it's expected that you behave and post appropriately.

D
Old 12-21-2012, 03:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I need some advice for cold turkey quiting I can only go 2 days tops before I start getting anxiety AMD restless and cold sweats n body aches I've been snorting one 30 mg oxycodone baby blue m once a day for 4 years And smoking six-nine a day for one year Ive mannaged to stop for 2 days butt gave In today on my second day and smoked one fell asleep and I've just woke up Nd right back with wd. Should I slowly wean my self down to one a day of just stop. I just got put on probation and I got about 2 weeks before I get urine tested. Please help me!!
Old 12-21-2012, 05:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Can any one give advice for when I get the anxiety ibuprofendoesent help and I'm trying not to use any kind of drugs other than sleep pills aleave or ibuprofen cuz I'm on probation now. Please help me
Old 12-21-2012, 09:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

There is no magic answer to make the W/D go away. Remember, you body is used to having a certain amount, and when it doesn't get it, the W/D symptoms are it trying to adapt to no longer being fed what becomes a toxic substance. That's why it's also called Detox.

You have two weeks to Detox. The worst of the W/D symptoms should peak in about 3-4 days. Everyone's a bit different, but I was snorting up to 240mg./day and mine were pretty intense. I was unable to taper because when you have them there, you just want to use them. Very few people can successfully taper.

Some people have used various methods to deal with some of the physical effects. I chose not to, because I figured if it was bad enough, I'd NEVER want to go through such hell again. I won't sugar coat it, it WAS hell. But it doesn't last forever.

But waking up every morning not having to take pills to keep from getting horribly sick was worth the few days of misery. If you have gone 1-1/2 days before, all you have to do is hold out for a couple more, and the W/D should start lessening. I made sure to try and drink as much water as possible, and when I could keep it in me, I also sipped some chocolate flavored protein/mineral supplement drinks because dehydration is a big danger; although during days 2-4 I couldn't even keep water down, it still helped because it diluted the raw stomach acid I was throwing up, so it didn't burn as bad.

You CAN break free of this, but it takes being sick for a few days. Would you rather Detox in the relative comfort of home, or in Jail? I can't imagine how hellish THAT would be....I don't even want to.
Old 12-21-2012, 11:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Seven, if you're on probation you know you're definitely going to have to go thru the withdrawals whether now on the outside where you can make yourself at least a bit more comfy, or on the inside and I couldn't ever imagine having to do that.

It's not easy and it's not comfortable. At all. But it is doable. I, myself, just started day 5 from Vicodin w/d after a relapse. The first few days weren't that bad then major nausea yesterday. Today the sweats have started. One more week and I'll be thru the worst. I'm not sure how probation works as I've never been on it but if you can I would work with a doctor to get you thru your detox. There are meds they can give you to make the w/d's a bit more bearable. If not, there is the Thomas recipe you can google for the ingredients.

I'm getting thru it cold turkey and just using NyQuil at night and ibuprofen, Tylenol and Imodium. Lots of vitamins and trying to eat healthy too help. Take LOTS of hot baths or showers, even live in the tub for the first week if you have to. You CAN do this. What's one week? It'll eventually pass and you will feel better and you won't go to jail/prison. Lots of pros there.

Keep posting here and read thru the threads. That's what I've been doing and it really motivates and helps me, a lot. Good luck my friend.
Old 12-21-2012, 12:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Seven - I have no experience to share but I wanted to welcome you.

I do think the above posters are right though - withdrawal, no matter what the drug, sucks...but it's inevitable - we have to go through it...but it's not forever....and you're not alone here

D
Old 12-21-2012, 02:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Oxymaddened, wanabfree,dee74 thanks I guess I just have to stick it out a couple more days for it to stop being so bad "/ and I have to start tomorrow cuz I smoked today again like a idiot thank you guys for your support. Also yes that would suck ass going trough wd I'm jail every one would be tripping out on me for spazzing out and screaming. I noticed the hot shower thing worked but when I get anxiety should I just go for a walk or something? Because I usually get anxiety and all antsy when I'm watching tv or somthong. So oxymaddened u think if o stick it out till the third day I should be all good? Day 3 should be the worst then it will get easier?
Old 12-21-2012, 02:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

There's some really good anxiety tips on this website, Seven808...enough to keep you reading for days

Calm Clinic for Your Anxiety & Panic « Calm Clinic
Old 01-14-2013, 10:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

hello everyone
Old 01-14-2013, 10:26 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

hello everyone, I am an old poster on this forum ... I have been clean for 30 days now from my last binge and I just thought I'd share some tips for success when you quit. I'm nowhere near the end of this battle (probably not even halfway), but I've got some experience with these matters so here's some advice:

-In order to really stay clean you need to completely restructure your life around. I had to end a lot of friendships, and delete all phone numbers that could lead to more pills. When I say restructure your life, I mean that you need to find something in your life that will FULFILL you as much as pills/heroin/DOC fulfilled you. For me, this is bodybuilding and relationships with family/friends/and people you care about.

-The unfortunate truth is that it gets harder and harder with time to stay sober. It is very easy the first few days because you know what to expect, but as time progresses, the cravings become more unpredictable and if your stagnating in restructuring your new life you will get cave to the opiates. This is why it's so important to build up a NEW LIFE and have new things that bring you happiness and joy. Without it, we will go back to pills because we are only human. Everyone needs happiness in some form or another.

So my advice is to really change your WHOLE life around, not just a few things. And remember there's always going to be a good excuse to use just for one night, but I can telll you it never stays as 1 night. 1 night always leads to daily use with due time. Take care, stay safe, and god bless all of you.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:31 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Oh and one last thing! Don't beat yourself up if you have a relapse with this crap... staying clean off of oxycodone has HANDS DOWN BEEN THE HARDEST THING I'VE HAD TO DO IN MY ENTIRE LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !! It really does mess with your brain in a crazy way. So if you do relapse, understand that you are not alone, and that most addicts have relapsed many times after attempting to quit before finally getting it right. At least in my experience...
Old 01-14-2013, 10:39 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

congrats on your 30 days ItComesAndGoes

D
Old 01-24-2013, 10:30 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Soccer

Here I go again

Yes, I am starting all over again. Due to a recent surgery I was back on the devil medicine so I must go through the withdrawl again. I am not discouraged, I have done it before and know that I can do it again. Believe me when I tell you that if I can, anyone can. God's Blessings to all.
Old 01-24-2013, 02:23 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

The wds last as long as 7 days, you've not given yourself enough time to get over them, and what you're feeling is pretty typical of narcotic wds. You have to walk through that fire to get to safe ground. Naturally we can't give med advice, but I would suggest that you read up on anxiety meds in case anyone suggests them, I wish I had never taken them, I'm still taking them, sadly. Make an informed decisions and do your best to find natural ways to reduce that anxiety. I had teribble anxiety quitting, I still get it. I'm just 8 days clean.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:40 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
3%

My friends, I havn't been on here in a while. I was reading through some old posts from when I began my recovery. It's all like a blink of the eye now. I've never forgotten all I went through to get to where I am right now....and all those who got me through. Many have dropped off now....including a very close friend, that I never even met. I hope FT is shadowing out there somewhere....but for now...I have some reading to do.

I am here to listen. To help. Nice to meet all of you.

<FT3
Old 02-17-2013, 10:43 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back thenfb

D
Old 02-18-2013, 10:55 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
3%

Thanks dee! So sad to see so many people dissappeared. Also glad to see a few old friends. Sober life is amazing people. It really is amazing everything that can be accomplished with a clear mind. Before I never understood the concept of seizing life....making something of myself...and being a productive member of socioety. I never ever thought I'd see the day

Kicking the ox is a tough task...but before you know it you're looking back and it all seems like a bad dream. Like a blink of the eye. My sincere advice...do it! I would have taken that as kind of a "duh" ...but really. Soo many times throughout my recovery I backpedaled and thought none of these sucuess stories could happen in my world. it just wasn't in the cards. Now I realize completely that that IS the addiction mindset...and it does go away.

Long ago I asked myself, "why did i get sober if this is what life is like??"
Now I know your life is what you make it, and the ox made me not care and think any kind of "Normal"(for lack of a better term) life just cant happen to me. I was too messed up. But life just comes second nature when you are sober. Life does come back...no matter how far gone it may seem.

ICAG- You are sooo right about the reconstruction of your surroundings. It's important to break out of the routines of drug abuse. For me it just kind of happened. After a couple months of being sober I began to have no need or want to see my old crowd. No reason to call the dealears, find money, find pills, again and again...as i avoided all these things they faded away more and more and it was one of, if not THE, most liberating part of getting clean. Make your life one worth living, without drugs and you will see your life come back to you everyone! i promise! CONGRATS ON 30 DAYS!!! I still see my 30day point as a major milestone, don't look back!!!

My advice of the day....Post on SR!! Share with us every day! It takes the edge off.

Old 02-18-2013, 11:09 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
3%

Those who don't know my story....During my withdrawl I posted everything from a day-do-day basis. Nobody on here will expierence the exact same symptoms as me...but its a really good look of what i went through and mabye offer some insight to where you may be now.

heres a link to my first posts....i think it could help you guys out who are just beginning the journey..

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...drawals-3.html
Old 04-05-2013, 07:53 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hello everyone, I am an old poster on this forum. It's sad to see that people are no longer posting on this forum. I've been on here since January 2012 and feel like it's been an important psychological tool to help me express my thoughts about drug addiction/recovery and to help others as well.

I stayed clean for about 2 months total until Valentine's Day. Holidays seem to bring out the worst in me. I relapsed and started back right where I left off. My drug of choice is oxycodone (blues) in case anyone was wondering.

I mentioned in an earlier post about restructuring your whole environment in order to stay clean. I want to add one more component that is required in order to truly free yourself from the nightmare of opiate addiction: You have to find yourself a lover/friend (wife/girlfriend/or even a best friend) that knows what you're going through. This person has to protect you from yourself when you have a craving. You cannot do this alone in the LONG TERM!! I tried and did everything the right way and I still relapsed on 2/14/2013, mainly because I had no one in my life who knew what I was going through and the cravings got the best of me.

I have now been on Suboxone (2 mg/day) for 3 weeks now. I truly believe at this point in my life that I cannot quit opiates without this drug. As much as I hate still being on a drug, I just can't seem to quit long term. I will check back here soon to update everyone on my progress with suboxone. I know I will have to quit the Subs one day too, but maybe by then they will have found a cure for opiate addiction. I also feel as the older I grow, the more my addiction consumes me and the worse it gets. Many of my friends that I grew up with/used pills with have either graduated to heroin, are in state prison, or have sadly died due to lethal overdoses. I would give up anything in the world to get this monkey off my back and I really mean that with all my heart. Oxycodone has ruined everything in my life, and by everything, I mean EVERYTHING.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:15 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi ItComesandGoes - welcome back

I tend to think recovery needs to be an inside job - we need to rely on ourselves.

Support is important tho.

It would be great if every one had a supportive loving partner, but thats not been the case for a lot of us.

did you every try a recovery group like NA or SMART or something? - there's a lot of support there

D