Notices

Cocaine & Hallucinations

Old 07-29-2012, 01:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Cocaine & Hallucinations

Dear Members
I wonder why I am evening posting this...I joined SR as a result of my BF in so called 'recovery' screamed at me a few weeks ago to 'get the hell out of his life'... after so many many years... I joined SR so am getting so much support through the 'friends & family section'. I need to move on - and heal myself....but have so many questions - there are so many past experiences with H that I witnessed - and need some clarity - just to understand better...I need to KNOW what I was witnessing - so often I lulled mself into a false sense of security....
When H was actively using cocaine he would hallucinate very badly. He had auditory and visual hallucinations - would 'see' people. Became so bad - that he set fire to his Range Rover Sports as he believed that there was a person sitting in the back seat who was trying to kill him..... this led ultimately to H admitting himself into rehab.
He had 'one' relapse. I personally witnessed this 'one moment'. I went to his house and he was clearly 'wired'. I thought he was drunk (denial??? ). He then became very agitated... pacing up and down... he denied having taken anything.... he then started talking to the wall. He was 'ordering a drink'. There was NO-ONE there!!!! I tried to talk to him - he completely ignored me as though he could not see me. He then tried to open his outside bedroom door. He kept telling me that there were people he needed to see?? His outside bedroom door leads onto the third floor of his home.. he has a Moroccan style home - with balconies off every room... He could have killed himself if he managed to open the door. I bolted the door and called a male friend to the house to help me... this state lasted about 45 minutes... he then collapsed on the bed... and urinated all over himself -he was totally unaware of what was going on... when we finally spoke about this 'moment' - he told me he had snorted cocaine... but only this once??? How could anyone have such a strong reaction to 'just once'??? He then spent the next two days in a state of absolute depression - bouts of crying, remorse - the whole thing...
Is this possible? One night of binging?
Old 07-29-2012, 02:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey hon

I'm a recovering alcoholic and cocaine abuser. Nice to meet you!

Like most people here, I'm not qualified to tell you what's possible or not. What I can say is that what you're describing is completely off the scale for anything I've experienced or heard of for one night of coke. It's true that excessive use will lead to delusions and paranoia, and can cause hallucinations, but I've never heard of anything that extreme in such a short space of time.

Does he have any other mental health diagnoses? Or a history of mental health problems? Does he take hallucinogens like LSD?

It's very possible that he took what he thought was coke and it was mixed with something else. My husband once snorted a wrap he found on the floor (don't get me started...) which turned out to be ketamine. Man, he was messed up. Seriously, he got lost in our hallway, which measures three feet by four feet. He was stuck in there until I came home and found him. We worked out he'd been in there for about an hour.

So, maybe it was one time, but not coke?

xxx
Old 07-29-2012, 06:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Resident Alien

My experience with using coke is somewhat limited (I used to use it time to time when I couldn't find my DOC, opiates)... but I've been around its use a lot. I have never seen anything like what you describe. My best guesses would be the coke was cut with something else (pcp or another hallucinogen?), he was lying and actually used something different, or that he has a mental condition that is triggered by the coke use.

It would probably be a good idea for him to see a doctor, regardless. That sounds awfully scary.

Best wishes!
Old 07-29-2012, 10:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Stillsleeping and Dragonfly - thank you for your posts... it is hectic!!! H always claims he has only ever used cocaine - but we live on an island (Zanzibar) off East Africa - so who knows what the stuff is mixed with!!! So so frightening...
I read Keith Richards book recently 'Life' - and he says - the only reason he and Jagger and the rest of Rolling Stones survived is they only snorted A grade cocaine - stuff straight from the pharmaceutical labs..
Seriously though - thank you for your input - as H when he was in rehab - obviously, hopefully was open with his counsellors as to what he was taking - and even when I was part of his therapy group - he never admitted to more than cocaine..
Could cocaine mixed with alcohol do this?? can you see I am desperately hoping for a soft answer....
Old 07-29-2012, 10:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by stillsleeping View Post
Hey hon

I'm a recovering alcoholic and cocaine abuser. Nice to meet you!

It's true that excessive use will lead to delusions and paranoia, and can cause hallucinations, but I've never heard of anything that extreme in such a short space of time.

xxx
Nice to meet you too - and thank you for answering my query - I really appreciate it - and I wish you all the very best with your recovery - how long have you been in recovery?
When H was in 'active addiction' he hallucinated - hence burning his car- but the counsellors at Harmony Clinic advised me it was as a result of excessive cocaine use - and no history of pre mental illness... I heard that not everyone who is a coke addict does this - anyway...
But what frightened me - is the 'one night' I witnessed - the hallucinations were so bad - I would have believed he had been actively using cocaine for days / weeks... but don't believe this so - so either it was cut with something shocking (quite possible considering this is an island) - or he was combining with something else?????
Old 07-29-2012, 11:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I used cocaine for about 5 years (clean 11 months) and I never had an episode as you have described - I agree with some of the other comments that it could have been cut with something else.

After not staying awake for about 2 days I would start to see things but not to the level your bf was having.

I have taken LSD and seen people on acid and this sounds like he could have been on a trip, although it's difficult to confirm.

I hope he can stay clean
Old 07-29-2012, 10:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by england View Post
I used cocaine for about 5 years (clean 11 months) and I never had an episode as you have described - I agree with some of the other comments that it could have been cut with something else.

After not staying awake for about 2 days I would start to see things but not to the level your bf was having.

I have taken LSD and seen people on acid and this sounds like he could have been on a trip, although it's difficult to confirm.

I hope he can stay clean
Hi England - well done on your recovery!!!!!!! And thank you for your post.