Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Drug Addiction > Substance Abuse
Reload this Page >

How long does it take to become addicted to hydrocodone?

Notices

Old 04-07-2012, 02:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I usually post in the alcoholism section, but I just had surgery today and was given a prescription for Norco, which is like Vicodin (hydrocodone and acetaminophen).

I'm generally not into pills; my husband has an Rx for Vicodin for back pain and I've never been tempted to take one of those. But I am concerned about being on these pills for pain for more than a few days and becoming addicted. I've already had addictions to nicotine and alcohol that I've had to deal with, so I'm not eager to put another monkey on my back, but I don't want to be in a lot of pain, either.

He's given me enough to roughly last a week. Is a week enough time to become dependent?
Old 04-07-2012, 04:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
JFD

In short, no. Everyone is different, but I've never heard of someone who has no past opiate addiction getting one after only one week. That said, be sure to take them as directed.

Generally speaking, the 30 day mark seems to be the point where the scales start to tip toward dependence/addiction.
Old 04-07-2012, 04:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
...not falling down them

Hi Retread,

I'm in the same boat, being an alcoholic, but mine is a dental issue. I got 14 Vicodin for the pain. The 7.5/750's. No refills, and it's mostly acetaminophen so I am not worried about it. I almost asked the doc not to prescribe them but I have a swollen cheek and it hurts. Now if I go back trying to get refills we have a problem.
Or as my sponsor said, "If you are taking the Vicodin after it stops hurting? Then we need to have a looong talk".

Hope you feel better soon!

Last edited by stairs; 04-07-2012 at 04:43 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-07-2012, 04:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

JFD, thanks. That's reassuring. I may not need them for the full week, anyway, so we'll see how it goes, but I'm only taking them at the suggested intervals and don't feel like I want them more often than that.

ETA: Thanks, stairs. We were posting at the same time. I'm sure that's exactly what my sponsor will say when I talk with her tomorrow. Hope you feel better soon!
Old 04-08-2012, 07:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It took me a good year of off and on use/misuse to get a physical dependency to opiates...to the best of my knowledge they try not ever to prescribe more than 2 weeks of pain pills for non chronic conditions as that seems to be the point dependency starts to creep in...they are a handy tool for pain if taken as prescribed...I think you only have to worry if you find yourself out and making an effort to get more...if that happens, stop dead in your tracks and run the other direction...mine started after a car accident...my ex gave me a couple percs and a dr gave me vicodin and so the saga began....but physical dependency wasn't til I was using every day for a good stretch
Old 04-08-2012, 07:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks. I had to stop taking them due to side effects (I couldn't pee), so I'm just taking straight tylenol now for the pain, anyway. I may be able to take them here and there if the pain gets really bad, but I don't think there will be any problem.