Notices

Home detoxing from opiates

Old 02-18-2012, 04:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
One day at a time!

Home detoxing from opiates

Hello all just wanted to introduce myself here. Im home detoxing from opiates. I 26 years old and have been taking pills 8 years. Anyone have any advice for home detoxing? Im 24 hours into it. legs and stomach r cramping but so far so good. cant wait to be normal again. dont remember wat that feels like. My doc was oxycontin and hydrocodone.
Old 02-18-2012, 05:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome click! You'll receive lots of suggestions here. I personally used ibuprofen for aches and pains. OTC Meds for stomach issues. Lots of liquids so you don't dehydrate. No caffeine, Gatorade seems to be popular in these cases. Cut off all access to your DOC, whether it be a doctor or dealer. Be honest with your doctor. And delete any dealers phone numbers from your phone. I had to do that, then not answer calls not in my contacts.

N/A is very helpful especially in beginning of recovery. It has been for me anyway. Post and read on SR for support also, we've all been there.

Expect no energy for several days if not weeks, also insomnia and lethargy. Your doctor can help you with some of these discomforts if you are totally honest with him or her.

Best of luck to you.

Old 02-18-2012, 06:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Click
I hope you have someone helping you. If not see if someone can come and stay with you.
LOTS of hot baths. Make sure you have some immodium in the house. You will need this probably for several weeks. I also suggest a multivitamin, the B vitamins B1, B6, B12, magnesium, and potassium gluconate. You will have trouble sleeping and have restlessness. Everyone is different. Keep your self hydrated. Get some Jello or some bland foods. You may not have an appetite for a few days but you have to drink.

Try to write down what you are taking so you don't take too much...Tylenol and Ibuprofen. Try rotating them to stay on top of of the pain and restlessness. I took tons of hot baths to either warm up or to relax. Day 3 is peak. One minute to One hour at a time.
Old 02-18-2012, 07:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

click85,

You can do this, but you need to find someone who can come by and help you a bit if you're going to be alone much of the time. I'm on day 8 of C/T myself, and am using Immodium for the runs in hopes of keeping some food in me. The above suggestions all seem good. One thing that helped a lot with my back pain was my BF went and bought a good heating pad too.

I'm still having some stomach issues, but much of the rest of the symptoms have subsided to a great degree. The peak worst time for me was days 2-4. Prior to that drink as much water and fluids as possible; during that peak time I couldn't even keep water down for awhile.

Hopefully you also have a large supply of clean PJs or T shirts, because you'll sweat through them badly.

It's certainly not an experience I'd wish on my worst enemy, but YOU CAN DO THIS! I'm more than twice your age and wasn't in very good shape when I started, so if I can, you can!

Good luck to you, I hope the worst will be over for you soon!
Old 02-19-2012, 06:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
One day at a time!

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Im taking a multivitamin and b12 taking st.johns wart for depression immodium for the runs when they do come and take ibp and tylenol pm rotating as needed. Reading the replys on here really gives me motivation i need. thanks everyone for the support. idont have anyone to help as my family don;t live near me. thanks again
Old 02-19-2012, 06:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

we're thinkin of ya . It is so worth it on the other side.
Old 02-19-2012, 07:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Click, When you are in day 3 to 4 don't let you mind trick you and use. It is rough but you can do this even if you have to just lay there and say that over and over again. Hope you are okay. Keep us posted.
Old 02-19-2012, 07:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
One day at a time!

Day 2 of detoxng from over a 6 year pill addiction. Bodys aching. no energy. stomach hurts not sure if it;s from wd or ibp. forced myself to eat some soup. i find myself feeling really emotional but keep telling myself it;ll be over quick. my mom and sister have been supportive through e-mail. can wait to start my new life without pills.
Old 02-19-2012, 07:30 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Your stomach may hurt or feel funky for a couple of weeks. The diarreha will be there for a few weeks so keep the immodium handy. I drank lots of sprite or sierra mist for weeks just to calm my stomach plus it gave me calories. Sleep when you can. I used to take a hot bath and then get dressed and lay down. It would take all my effort just to get that done. The restless legs are the worst. I also took some benadryl during this time to help me sleep also...cause it would make me sleep. Don't take it if it wires you. Glad you are talking through email. Give them a call if you can. It will be great when that stuff is out of your system.
Old 02-19-2012, 08:00 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
One day at a time!

thanks everyone for the replys it sure makes this whole thing alot easier. Ive been drinking alot gatorade and trying to stay positive. Cant wait to be clean and itll be my time to give advice and help others who r going through this.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:48 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Click85. Lots of good suggestions here on your thread and you can find many others on threads about Oxys. We are glad you are here and starting down the recovery path. There are many kindred spirits on SR.
Keep posting.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:50 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
One day at a time!

Day 3 didnt get much sleep. stomach hurts and im vomiting alil bit. legs are restless and achy. feeling hot and then really cold. Other than that everythings going great. im ready to beat this battle!!
Old 02-20-2012, 05:41 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Congrats on day 3! You're half way the acute WD, just remember you don't want to have to go through this again. Keep up the good fight! Soo much better on the other side.
Old 02-20-2012, 05:42 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Congrats on day 3! You're half way the acute WD, just remember you don't want to have to go through this again. Keep up the good fight! Soo much better on the other side.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:48 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
One day at a time!

Thanks Dizzydolphin for the support. thats what i keep telling myself. only a few more days and i will never have to deal with this again. this is really hard but definetly be worth it in the long run. this site has helped alot to push and fight through this.
Old 02-20-2012, 07:09 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by click85 View Post
Hello all just wanted to introduce myself here. Im home detoxing from opiates. I 26 years old and have been taking pills 8 years. Anyone have any advice for home detoxing? Im 24 hours into it. legs and stomach r cramping but so far so good. cant wait to be normal again. dont remember wat that feels like. My doc was oxycontin and hydrocodone.
hi you'll have to forgive me if im doing this wrong im not much use with computers, im on the last leg of a home detox myself, off methadone. im down to 6ml and am just coming down 1ml every 4 days, good luck with your own detox
Old 02-20-2012, 07:26 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Click,
You're doing amazingly well! I'm really proud of you for giving this your best effort. I will guarantee you that you will feel like a different person in just a few days. By day 10, you will most likely feel no more physical W/D symptoms. If I may suggest though - get some physical activity in and it will accelerate your healing process. I'm almost at 9 weeks now and have been getting in 1 hour of exercise per day and it has made an enormous impact on me. Not only are my pants fitting better but my strength and stamina are increasing by the day.
Right now, you most likely are experiencing extreme lethargy but I assure you that once you get yourself moving, you will break through that wall.
In my experience, day 5 is the day to get yourself moving. Best of luck to you! My prayers and encouragement are with you : )
Old 02-20-2012, 07:37 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
One day at a time!

Thanks Ivan and pablo for your support! After reading ur posts it gives me hope that there is light at the end of the tunnel. I walked to the store earlier to get some 7up it wasn;t to bad. I have my moments where the WDs are worst than others but im very determined to get past this. im going to try and get up move around a bit. Best of luck to u Pablo with ur recovery!
Old 02-20-2012, 07:49 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

way to go!! this is truly the hero's journey- which means fighting the demons and finally coming face to face with our True Self - I no longer believe i landed on this planet to "waste" my life away ... getting clean was that incredible first step ....
Old 02-20-2012, 08:07 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Click,
The very best thing you can do for yourself at this point is getting up and moving around! I cannot emphasize enough how important exercise is right now for you. The more you get, the faster your brain will start producing it's own feel good chemicals! If you can get out and walk a couple of miles, you'll be sleeping better and feeling better too.
In my experience, I had this this severe lethargy when I was going through the W/D. I asked myself - why is it that if I took a pill I would have all the energy in the world but right now I have none? My hypothesis is when you're in W/D/Detox, your brain is not producing all the chemicals it used to. You actually have all that energy and physical capability but your brain keeps telling your body NO NO NO!
What I did was ignore the lethargy and pain and I forced myself to get out and start moving. I was actually shocked that the first day I walked two miles. That first day when I got out I thought I wasn't able to physically walk that far but that wasn't the case. I forced myself past the mental barrier and kept walking! I just kept going.
At the end of that walk the first day, I rewarded myself with a wonderful soak in the clubs Jacuzi. It was heaven!
Day 2 I walked some more, and by week two I was walking 4-5 miles!!! Woo Hoo!
Believe me when I say that getting past that mental barrier is sooooo hard! But if you have the resolve to beat this thing, you may be shocked to discover that you have it in you to do this. Heck, I know because I'm one lazy guy when it comes to this.
Years ago I was a work-out fiend. Years of opiate use though turned me into a professional couch potato. I'm slowly getting back to when I want to but the key is... I'm determined and have the resolve to fight this.

Getting off the medications was almost like losing a close friend. The friend was always there to comfort me, get me through bad situations, and was always there to make me "happy".
Once I was in full blown addiction though, knew I had to make a serious change in my life. I was close to losing my marriage and perhaps close to losing my house. I knew I had to beat this and I was not about to allow a pill to take everything I hold dear in my life. Well, it's been difficult but not impossible. When I look back at the last two months, I've gone from being a lazy unmotivated addict, to a motivated and energized husband with goals and a future!
I managed this in the course of 6-7 weeks? How amazing is that?
My point is that you can do ANYTHING you set your mind to. You just need to want it. Don't think in terms of where you want to be in a year. Instead, think in terms of where you want to be today.

I've said this many times here at SR and I'll say it again.
"It's not what you did yesterday but rather what you do next is what counts".

I wish you the very best and you can count on me for support and encouragement.