Notices

Pain from Oxy Withdrawl

Old 07-23-2009, 08:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Pain from Oxy Withdrawl

I have a question for all you. I recently started significantly reducing my oxy intake. I was taking about 20-30 mg per day, now I'm down to about 10...

Has anyone here experienced a lot of thigh and lower back pain while withdrawing from opoids? I'm hoping it's not just me! I haven't really had any other pain just Thigh, Lower Back, and some in my legs. Never had an injury or anything in those areas.. Does this happen sometimes with withdrawal?

Thanks.
Old 07-23-2009, 08:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ab Hinc

PM - The first 2-3 weeks when I quit vics I was very sore but as my body became accustomed to "no ops" and i improved quickly. When are you gonna try to get down to zero mg? You may have a little more pain then - but once you get over the hump it gets a lot better.
I was on 10,12 or 14 vics a day (usually 10mg per) - the pain is temporary in my experience unless there is a whole other issue with you back.
Old 07-23-2009, 09:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I never had a certain area of pain just all over achey like flu, and then of coarse the leg kicks and crap.
Old 07-23-2009, 09:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Before I started taking meds I had horrible thigh pain/burning due to my lower back problem. It was only in the left, and a lot of nights could not sleep even a minute it hurt so bad. Im thinking you are experiencing something outside of withdrawls, though Im sure they are contributing to it.

Down to 10mg a day, Id say (very inexperienced advice here) you are READY. I dont know how long you have been using but your dosage was a considerable amount lower than mine. I used for a little over a year, and quit 2 months ago, CT. Yes, aside from the mental torment that came a little later, the leg RLS deal was the most painful symptom. I quit on a thursday making friday the first full day. Monday (day 4) I went back to work but it was not easy, at all. Im trying to give you something to judge by, but I realize everyone is different too.

Keeping in mind this has been my only experience with withdrawl (and the last), I would quit tapering and do it.

My back and thigh pain? It has never felt better, and seemed to hurt a lot worse while I was using everyday.

Good luck to you.
Old 07-23-2009, 10:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My lower back ached the whole time I was in withdrawals, and I remained prone to general aches and pains caused by only minimal exertion for another few weeks after that.
Old 07-24-2009, 05:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
crazy vampire addict

Me too! Percocet user here...well, former percocet user. I had terrible back pains...almost like contractions when I first got off opiates (I was taking about 4 - 7.5/650 10x a day) The pain ran down into my legs too. It took a few weeks...but it eventually stopped. My back is fine now (68 days c&s)...no more aches anywhere.

You cut down so much...cut down a little more and stop! You can do it!
Old 07-24-2009, 06:48 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
TheMostSordidSpotOnEarth

It's very normal. Body pains are extremely common during opiate withdrawal. Your pain sensitivity will likely be high for awhile, and I'm young and healthy, but my whole body hurt -- back, legs, head, neck, arms, joints, fingers, teeth, you name it.

Just remember that this can be the very last time you ever have to go through this. My final withdrawal was full of lessons, and no matter how bad it was at the time, I'm grateful for having gone through the experience. It's also a good reminder of what kind of turmoil drugs are willing to reap on the body. Withdrawal is a sign that your body is doing its job, getting the toxins out of your system.

In my opinion, the sooner you get off of the pills the better. Tapering can help before the final jump off, but some addicts struggle with tapering plans, so just be aware of that too.

Best of luck!

Old 07-24-2009, 07:20 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Go Browns!

I have the exact same pains during detox. Never had an injury either. My understanding is that its just your body exaggerating your minor aches and pains, trying to get you to take more opiates. Also, if you have legitimate pain then that will also be worsened during withdrawal. If your body has gone a long time without having to deal with pain on its own, then it has to re-learn how to fight off pain without help from meds.
Old 07-24-2009, 06:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Lightbulb Thanks!

Just want to thank everyone for all the suggestions and support. I need to get off these very soon, it's causing me lots of problems and putting other things in my life on an indefinite hold..

I'll continue posting my progress on here, although so far I haven't made any progress since the last time I posted. I have been getting lots of headaches and I think I'll start replacing the oxy with aspirin temporarily. I'm going to continue tapering but it's that last little bit.. Not taking any at all..That I still have a fear of. I know it's for the better and knowing what to expect when withdrawing has helped me accept that it's not going to be easy and the struggles are not permanent!

One other question I have for anyone who has withdrawn for opiates.. How long should I expect the mental/emotional issues to last? How about cravings? Do they lessen over time? I quit alcohol about 6 months ago, but quitting these is a whole new thing to me. Before This year or so stretch of taking pills I've only ever taken them for like a day and that was it. Even with that I experienced mild withdrawl the next day (kind of like a hangover) and that's what scares me about quitting now after taking them for a significant length of time.

Thanks again and I'll be back on here soon to post some more :-)
Old 07-24-2009, 09:10 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Go Browns!

You have a good attitude and I think you can do this. When you do withdrawal and detox, come back here and read your posts. Post more. Ask questions. There are vitamins and OTC meds that can help too.
The good news about your situation is that you are on 10mg. I would say on average (on this site) most people who quit cold turkey are on a minimum of 100mg a day and easily double or triple that. And, the ones who want to quit more than they want to use, are successful.
I am not down playing your addiction at all. I know its hard whether you are talking 1 pill or 500. But still, your detox time should be significantly shorter and less painful than many others. Count your blessings.
Ive heard time and time again "you have to experience the pain of detox to help you stay clean". And for the most part, i agree with that. If it was easy and painless, what would keep you from relapsing? The pain, foul mood, the runs, etc are all your body's way of getting the toxins out of your system. MY only advice is, look in to NA. I resisted that path for far too long. Didnt think I needed it and was a little afraid. Once I tried some meetings and found one I was really comfortable in, I relaxed and let it help me. If SO many people say it works, then its worth a shot, because my way WASNT working and many of these people have been clean far longer than myself.
As far as detox goes, I would suggest going to 5mg for a week and then biting the bullet. You cant make it any easier on yourself than that unless you drag it out. Either way you are going to feel it. The very worst of it will be over in 3 days-for you maybe less. Cravings will come and go and should lessen over time. The key is, getting the recovery tools to STAY clean. Over confidence leads us back using. Physically you can expect the runs, anxiety, RLS, mild body aches, tired-but-you-cant-sleep, mild depression and irritability. Google the "thomas recipe" and start it NOW. Cravings and symptoms depend on the person. You have to keep yourself busy and GET HELP THROUGH NA OR THERAPY OR AT THE VERY LEAST THIS SITE. YOU WILL RELAPSE OTHERWISE. Other things that helped: tylenol, benadryl (for sleep and sneezing and runny nose during w/d), IMMODIUM (specifically), epsom salt baths (very important), cranberry pills, gator ade and sleepy time tea. Exercise during detox, take lots of epsom salt baths and keep your self busy. Rest too though.
You can do this. It wont be a walk in the park but remember you are on a very low dose.
Old 07-26-2009, 08:24 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Question Tapering and another question!

Well I went down to 5mg all day today. I feel a little bit crappy, But I'm wondering when the "worst" symptoms will come? I'm thinking of trying to make it all day tomorrow without ANY of the stuff but I'm wondering how long it will be until I feel the most intense withdrawal? Just wondering if anyone has experience and could tell me if they have continued tapering or if they at some point just stopped and which they think would be better? I really want to get off these ASAP as I just got my drivers license back and I will not drive on them even if it's only 5mg a day. A plus is once I'm driving I can get to more meetings :-) Thanks in advance and if anyone has any other suggestions they would be appreciated!
Old 07-26-2009, 09:09 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Pmich, the worst symptoms will start at some point between 12 and 24 hours after you take your last pill. And the worst days are generally days 2-4. But with as little as you are taking, I'd not be surprised if day 4 isn't even that bad.

At some point, no matter how low you taper, there comes a time when you have to just stop. Stepping off at 5mg, if you hold that dose for, say 3 days, should really not be that bad my friend.

One more thing ... and let me apologize in advance for always feeling compelled to make this correction, but ... the effects of opioid 'detox' have nothing to do with ridding your body of 'toxins'.

Opioids, and the by-products of (almost all varieties of) them are virtually non-toxic to your body and organs. Opioid withdrawals are due entirely to massive imbalances of various hormones and neurotransmitters, primarily those that fall into the general categories of 'adrenal hormones' and (what are commonly called) 'endorphins'.

Even 'the runs', which many people associate with a process of 'detoxifying', are actually caused by the fact that your gut actually contains a higher concentration of opioid receptors than any other part of the body, including your brain itself.

So, although it's often called 'detoxing' ... it's actually just a process of letting your brain and body return to its normal chemical balance

And the reason I know this to be true is because if an opioid addict is presented to a hospital in a state of overdose, they will administer an opioid antagonist, which will, within the space of about 5 minutes, induce every single symptom of opioid withdrawals. Now, Naloxone is not some miracle cleanser that instantly and brutally begins a massive detoxification of your entire system. Rather, all it does is basically neutralize the opioids that are in it, and render them non-functional. Thus, it must not be the case that withdrawals are due to toxins, but rather, they are due to a lack of 'working opioids' in your system.

Last edited by bval; 07-26-2009 at 09:36 PM.
Old 07-27-2009, 07:02 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks again

Just wanted to say thanks again for helping me through this. I have taken 5mg for the last 2 days and I think I'm pretty much ready to quit altogether. I'm going to give it a couple more days at 5 then it's showtime. Again, hearing from all you what to expect has helped me make my decision to quit and took away a little of the fear or getting off them. I'll be back on here soon to update :-) Oh and so far I've had some anxiety and some trouble sleeping, otherwise not so bad so far!
Old 07-27-2009, 07:19 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Go Browns!

If you are on 5mg for approx 4 days I wouldnt expect much, if any, symptoms. BUT If you need the list of OTC meds I used, let me know.
Old 07-27-2009, 11:19 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

If you're working atm, pmich, I'd prolly go to like 2.5mg on thurs/fri and then stop so you have the weekend to suffer through the worst of it, call in sick on monday and maybe tuesday if you have to. If you're not working, then ... no time like the present
Old 07-28-2009, 06:29 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Almost There!

Hey everyone,

I took only 2.5mg today, hoping I can make it through the rest of the evening without more. Well I have some anxiety and just kind of a confused feeling.. My blood pressure is kinda high (I have a meter at home to check it) but it's not extremely high so I'm just going to ignore it for now. I got up late today and I feel like I'm not going to be able to sleep. Thinking about taking some immodium as I hear that can sometimes "fool" your body into lees severe withdrawal. So fasr so good and I may try to just stop now and have tomorrow be my first day of full sobriety. I'm looking forward to getting through this! Oh and I went to a meeting today so that helped as well.

I'm hanging in there so far....
Old 10-06-2011, 05:30 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I am completely new to this its been one day and I feel like I've felt the first time I got injured on the job site. The pain is killer I'm actually trying to wing myself off from 20 mgs At a time of percocet I want to take just a 5mg to help I suffer From major back and spine injury after I'm detoxed I know it will be hard becouse over the counter drugs aren't strong enough
Code:
:a108:
Old 10-06-2011, 05:44 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
FT

Hi daprevester81,

This thread is pretty old, started 2 years ago, and most of the people above aren't logging on any more.

Maybe start a new thread? Or read some other ones you like and add some questions or comments?

Getting off oxycodone is hard, but so worth it. Instead of repeating a lot of what is already on the other threads, I'll defer to letting you read those for now. Try starting with the oxycodone withdrawal help thread. It also started a few months ago, but there is an updated one. The older one has a LOT of good posts, though, so I'd go there and read, and maybe post on the newest one.

FT