Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Drug Addiction > Substance Abuse
Reload this Page >

tramadol question (URGENT! please help doctors cant help)

Notices

Old 09-18-2011, 03:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I took tramadol for about two years. I have been off it for 6 months. I was taking Valium and drinking a little to help with the post withdrawal and all that. I realized that was not a good idea so I stopped. I have not taken Valium for about 2 and a half months and have not drank for longer. Nor have I done any other drugs, I have not even taken Tylenol or anything.

I still feel horrible. I am not even a little better at all, and I have read about other people coming off it, but I seem to have a few different symptoms then everyone else.

For one, my body is completely numb for the most part. I can pinch my self as hard as I can and feel nothing. I feel like I have ants crawling all over my body, exercise helps this but only a little bit and only for a little while. I feel tired all the time, I feel like I have tunnel vision, I cant think clearly, I feel like I'm getting a really bad cold sometimes, and Sometimes I feel like I'm going crazy. The symptoms go back and forth, I will feel bad for a little while then start to feel a little better. But then I just feel bad again and its an endless circle with no improvement.

I have talked to doctors in different fields, they either didint care or dont know.

So please help me! is this normal? how long does this last? Did you feel this way when you came off tramadol?
Old 09-18-2011, 04:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
FT

Hi there ashfriend,

When you say you've talked to doctors in different fields, has anyone actually EXAMINED you?

If you've had a medical checkup and your doctor says you are not sick, don't have any weird nervous system disorder, endocrine (like diabetes or thyroid stuff) disorder, sinus infection, ear infection or other inner ear thing (like Meniere's disease, sorry if I spelled it wrong), then there are all sorts of reasons why you might not feel well yet.

I wouldn't dream of making an actual guess, much less advise you medically, but what I can tell you is that a lot of people who are actively abusing alcohol and other drugs are not taking very good care of themselves AT ALL. They suffer malnutrition, physical deconditioning, insomnia, digestive disruption and weird bowel issues (for example, opiates constipate most people), dehydration and other fluid imbalances, toxicity from the drugs and alcohol that damages the nervous system, and more. Any one of those things can contribute to you feeling horrible.

For the human body (and mind) to function normally, it has to have the proper rest, fluids, nutrition, physical exertion greater than getting up to go to the bathroom, as well as mental stimulation that generally involves human interaction and not just reading the newspaper or watching TV. Can you truly tell yourself that you are up to par in ALL of those areas?

When we are using, we forget what "normal" even feels like. But you for sure know it isn't what you are feeling like right now.

Even if you've had a checkup, I'd make up a symptoms calendar for a few days that includes what you eat and drink, what goes in and comes out and when, what exercise you are getting, and EVERY symptom that bothers you. Don't write down just the days, but the times, too. Including when you rest, sleep, and exercise. You would be amazed at how much a calendar like that can tell you. Then, you take that calendar into a doctor, nurse practitioner, or naturopath, and GO OVER IT.

Chances are, you've napalmed your nervous system, endocrine system, and digestive system, and you are still undergoing damage control. But it is ALWAYS a good idea to make sure you are RIGHT, and that you are not ignoring stuff that needs medical attention.

BTW, I've heard Tramadol can be worse than other drugs to detox from. I have no personal experience with it, though.

FT
Old 09-21-2011, 10:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ashfriend View Post
I took tramadol for about two years. I have been off it for 6 months. I was taking Valium and drinking a little to help with the post withdrawal and all that. I realized that was not a good idea so I stopped. I have not taken Valium for about 2 and a half months and have not drank for longer. Nor have I done any other drugs, I have not even taken Tylenol or anything.

I still feel horrible. I am not even a little better at all, and I have read about other people coming off it, but I seem to have a few different symptoms then everyone else.

For one, my body is completely numb for the most part. I can pinch my self as hard as I can and feel nothing. I feel like I have ants crawling all over my body, exercise helps this but only a little bit and only for a little while. I feel tired all the time, I feel like I have tunnel vision, I cant think clearly, I feel like I'm getting a really bad cold sometimes, and Sometimes I feel like I'm going crazy. The symptoms go back and forth, I will feel bad for a little while then start to feel a little better. But then I just feel bad again and its an endless circle with no improvement.

I have talked to doctors in different fields, they either didint care or dont know.

So please help me! is this normal? how long does this last? Did you feel this way when you came off tramadol?
Although I've never been addicted to Tramadol or had W/D from it, I am an addict (oxy) and I can tell you that the "crap storm" of feeling like a useless lump of nothing, (depressed, lack energy, no interest in anything, isolating, being a slob) all a part of recovery and it lasts for months. I've been clean since a few days before Memorial Day (aside from a stay in the hospital with a MRSA that exposed my bone)... and you know what--- still have stormy days. Yesterday I woke up with an OUTSTANDING attitude, so it will come back slowly.

After detox: I....
wouldn't shower
tried to sleep all day/all night
wouldn't clean
wouldn't do laundry
barely ate
hated my life
isolated myself
felt sorry for myself

IT DOES GET BETTER. I can't give medical advice, consult your doctor about vitamins that help get your seretonin (sp?) back faster.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I agree with both above.A good physical is probably in order.It does get better that I know for sure
Old 09-21-2011, 11:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have heard some NASTY things about Trammy withdrawl and it sounds like you have it bad also. I dont know as I am "just" a Vicodin addict but it sounds like you need to do see another doctor and get a second, or third, or fourth opinion. The reason I say that is you said you havent taken ANYTHING in 2 months and you are still having physical symptoms, I would RUN to the doctor and find out whats going on......